Toyota Prius - The Real Deal

Insideline

DETROIT — Exterior and interior images of the redesigned 2010 Toyota Prius have been posted at Priuschat.com and subsequently snapped up around the blogosphere.

Toyota spokesman Curt McAllister on Thursday morning confirmed for Inside Line the authenticity of the images, and said they were "accidentally leaked." He added, "More details at the Detroit show."

The car's formal unveiling is slated for January at the 2009 Detroit Auto Show. The new Prius will face off against the Honda Insight, which was introduced last month at the Paris show and also goes on sale next year as a 2010 model. Look for the Insight to be priced from $2,000-$3,000 below the Prius.

The 2010 Prius will be fitted initially with nickel-metal-hydride batteries, but is expected to switch to lithium-ion batteries within a year or two. The car's four-cylinder gas engine is expected to get a modest bump in displacement, from 1.5 to 1.6 liters, with more power, but better fuel economy.

Inside Line says: Judging from the evolutionary styling of the new car, Toyota isn't about to mess with a winning formula. — Paul Lienert, Correspondent

01_2010_toyota_prius_realorrender.jpg

02_2010_toyota_prius_realorrender.jpg

03_2010_toyota_prius_realorrender.jpg

user45382_pic597_1224112808a.jpg

Edited by smallchevy

I'm shocked that the higher ups at Toyopet have not done

away wit the pigsnout.... who thinks it looks anything other

than hideous, although at least it matches the rest of that

ugly steaming pile of garbage.

Weak Mid-Cycle Refresh at best.

I'm assuming alot of people don't comment on the Prius's LOOKS, because that sure isn't what sells the car.

Anybody who actualy thinks a Prius looks GOOD, as it is now, or this tweaking, really needs to look at the car objectively again.

It's ugly.

As far as an actual vehicle evaluation, the MPG numbers have been fudged in the past, have they not? It's hard to evaluate a vehicle based on lies also...

;)

It's a hybrid import of not much interest to me.

Edited by CMG

I'm assuming alot of people don't comment on the Prius's LOOKS, because that sure isn't what sells the car.

Anybody who actualy thinks a Prius looks GOOD, as it is now, or this tweaking, really needs to look at the car objectively again.

It's ugly.

As far as an actual vehicle evaluation, the MPG numbers have been fudged in the past, have they not? It's hard to evaluate a vehicle based on lies also...

;)

It's a hybrid import of not much interest to me.

The Prius is not about styling, or gas mileage...it's about being clean and green, and the image of that.

Edited by moltar

The Prius is not about styling, or gas mileage...about being clean and green, and the mage of that.

That is what it has become. Toyota might have had good intentions to bring the vehicle in, but it has become celebrity and status symbol.

Whom> Let us see enviro terrorists, ultra liberal nuts, Kim Gandy and folks, Consumer Report et. al, Hollywood wannabes. Oh wait a minute you live in Canada, nevermind. :smilewide:

I know a lot of techies that have Priuses also... because of it's high tech nature, it has high geek cred. We will see if the Volt has similar appeal w/ my demographic in a couple of years.

Edited by moltar

The Volt looks even better... Could they have ruined this thing even more? They just keep getting uglier.

This refresh is indeed terrible, I would agree.

Chris

Bash me for my styling tastes all you want, but I never thought the Prius was ugly at all, and I think this is an improvement. I don't see this "pig snout" you are referring to; the new 7-series and G3, they have pig snouts.

Not saying that I LIKE the car or would ever buy one, but that's just because it's a Toyota, not because of its looks.

Edited by §carlet §wordfish