Car Spotting

Just the normal slew of British roadsters. It was pretty nice yesterday, even nicer out, perfect weather for an old Jag, Triumph, Sunbeam or that dark green Lotus Elise I've seen a couple of times. The Elise had the goofy looking top on it yesterday morning, not sure why.

Mid-70s Cadillac Fleetwood station wagon conversion. Handsome car.

More new Civic sedans. God, they look like crap, especially the stunted hood length.

The coupes look even stranger, I think...short hood with a tall tail w/ decklid... the rear end doesn't look like it belongs on the same car as the front end. It's like the 5-dr hatchback was designed first and as an afterthought someone realized--oh no--we need a coupe and sedan for the NA crowd!!!---and they grafted on the trunks. Edited by moltar

The old 240s seem to wear very well. A buddy of mine drives a '90 has about 180k on it...white w/ blue interior, very clean condition. His wife drives an '04 Cross Country wagon. (DOH!!!! I posted this on the wrong thread..it was supposed to go on 68's demo derby thread). Edited by moltar

Saw a silver HHR on the freeway today. Looks great in that color. There were a couple wrecks on I-5 near Oso Parkway. The totaled vehicles include a new Lexus GS, Altima, and Aveo sedan. Also saw a bunch of Range Rovers.

'06 Civic coupe at the dealership with a "sold" sticker in the windshield... and a big old run in the paint at the rear edge of the right fender. It was all bubbled, and I couldn't help but pick at it to make sure it wasn't just the shipping coating. Whoops... now there's no paint on the fender because I cracked off the bubble.

I wonder if the joyful new owner will notice or even care.

So... how was my day, yesterday and today... you ask? Well...

I went dealer hopping again. Yes, again. I'm an addict. Anyways, I saw lots of interesting stuff. I went to Clarion.

Ron Seidel (sp?) Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, and GMC. First was an 05 GTO. Red, auto. I want one just like Variance does. Great stance, perfect size, understated attitude, and an awesome interior. It's not perfect nor unique, but I love it. Second was yet another G6 coupe. My opinion is finally stabalizing on it. I don't love it, I don't hate it. The rear is weird, but I still wouldn't mind having a GTP for its positive performance attributes; like the also weird GP GXP.

Clarion Ford Mercury. Would you find it hard to believe that I've never seen a 500, Freestyle, or Mustang up close and in person? Well, I haven't. So I took a look at each. First the Freestyle. It's a big vehicle. Very wagon-like. Much better choice than an SUV. Second the 500. It's also a big vehicle. It looks huge inside. The dash looks good, but overall this vehicle is so bland. Third the Mustang. It's rear is flat. Literally. The rest of exterior isn't bad except for the sad face. The interior... not many complaints. It's better than I thought, but that center stack is horrible with the recessed radio/HVAC controls. I also got to look at more Fusions. It does look good. It has a good stance and has this semi-sporty look to it from the rear 3/4. The interior looks good as well. Also, the taillights are really growing on me. I never liked them at first, but now that I've seen that they are double lensed like my favorite Grand Ams. Could be easily tinted to look downright awesome. The Fusion is little bland overall, though. Also saw another Milan. The front looks awesome, but after looking at a Mountaineer... The Fusion's face should be the Milan's. Put it's face on the Fusion. Obviously, I also saw the new Explorer and Mountaineer. I love the Mercury's taillights. They're awesome. Because of this and how it looks overall, it's my favorite out of the two. The Explorer is just disgusting.

Some Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler dealership. Would you also believe that I've never seen a Crossfire up close either? Well, again, I haven't. I didn't realize it was so small. I love it. Anyways, my main complaints are the taillights, the overuse of silver, the overuse of ribs, and the imperfect front fascia. Also got to see another Commander. Yep, just as I said before... CHEAP LOOKING INTERIOR!

Some used car dealership. You guys cannot believe the flashback I had... I saw a purple... 96... Grand... Am... SE... coupe. The memories. I almost swore it was the one my mom had. Everything fit... until I look inside. An auto. So close. I also saw a Saturn SC2 coupe, pre-95. That's pretty much what inspired my boredom thread.

Back to Brookville now...

Wolf's Auto Outlet. A Toyota Matrix. I know what you're thinking, but I will honestly say that since the Celica is now out-of-it, it's the best looking Toyota. Not saying much at all, though.

Team One Motors. An Alero. 02, black, 5spd. Better than a Grand Am SE, but not even close to a GT. I wouldn't mind owning one and it was cheap. It didn't have much, though. No foglights, no spoiler, and wheel covers. No thank you. Too plain for me. I also saw that Civic again. Sorry to say, but I still want it. I re-evaluated my financial situation (lol), and I even further from affording it than I originally thought. Still, it's overpriced as it is.

Brookville Chevy Pontiac Cadillac Buick. No... I didn't look at the G6 again as the shock has worn out. Instead, I looked at the red 05 Grand Am they still have. I want it. Bad. It's smaller than the G6 and SOOOO much better looking. It's perfect for me except for those stupid black Alero mirrors. I just can't afford it like everything else. :P

Anyways, I did see something interesting not at a dealer. Like a first gen Intrepid with *hold your breath* a purple and realistic-looking flames paint job. I about laughed my ass off. So f**ked up...

Slightly off topic but a red/white/white 1979 Coupe Deville exactly like mine appears TWICE in the first 5 minutes of Mo' Money. I was sitting there working on a mailer the other day all depressed about the clusterf%^k of my life and the movie came on Comedy Central so I was like, eh wahtever... enerv seen it so why not.

When I saw the Waynes Bros. running right past it twice I called up Ross all excited! I mean we always thought that the red exterior wiht the white top and leather interior must be super rare but I gues in the late 80s when the car was just a used caddy they were out there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

I saw a 2003ish Pathfinder wiht very large chrome wheels. Looking closer, the center caps on the large chrome wheels had an Infinity logo. Nice. Across the street from that was an MG that looked like crap. Also, I saw a Ford GT, a 1997ish 911 Turbo, a 550 Maranello and a new Viper coupe, which looks a lot like the old Viper coupe, especially when they are parked right next to each other.

-G6 coupe in green (driven by an old lady, no less) -Cobalt SS -51 Chevy truck -80s M6 -periwinkle New Beetle with a "circle-53" sticker on the hood like Herbie -G6 4-door with panoramic roof.

<Flybrian> That must make it the most explosive town in the world! </Flybrian> :D Anyways, I forgot to mention that I also saw many of the cars mentioned in my "Well... As with Fly..." thread. Including two beautiful ones... a perfect Prelude and a sweet Integra. Also saw that 240sx I saw a while ago again. Damn... must be more signs that I should sell the GA and the 300EX. :unsure:

Packed afternoon... -first Mazdaspeed6 -first Lincoln Zephyr -interesting Lancia coupe -Vega FB -75 Bonneville 2-door sedan -80 Datsun 510 5-door -83 LeSabre 2-door -76 MC -76 Cutlass Supreme -2 Ridgelines -orange 73 Satellite -67 Nova coupe -82 Imperial -05 Montego -72 Gran Torino 4-door

The Today show: -Zephyr #2 -Ford EcoSport (I knew that thing I saw whoever it was driving wasn't an Escape) -64 Impala vert -62 Impala hardtop -2 Gran Torino 2-doors (both brown) -Ranchero of the same vintage (also brown)

I'm seeing an increasing number of new GMs fleeted out as University vehicles. Uplanders, Malibus, and especially Cobalts. Formerly the University vehicle fleet was mostly Focuses, Tauruses, Ventures, and E-Series vans as well as Crown Vics for the ISU Police (which doesn't make sense that they have Crown Vics since it's not like they go on high speed chases in the first place...the Ames PD has '00-'05 Impalas pretty much exclusively and they patrol a much larger area). It's cool to see all these new GMs around, but at the same time it's sad to see new models like the Cobalt and Uplander going to fleets. Saw a very old woman in a black '96 Impala SS...I was like "WTF?" '06 Impala LTZ, silver Lots of Five Hundreds...they're becoming fairly common up here '67 Olds Cutlass

-Zephyr #3 (these things may be picking up steam) -and lo and behold, the Pimp My Ride Trans Am!! I had to go up close to it. Unfortunately, dew was all over the windows, so I couldn't see the interior, but looks like scratches were all over the black paint of the T-top, and apparently whoever owns it (on the show, it was a chick who loooked pretty good) didn't like the thunder chicken WCC put on the hood, as it was peeled off....

While out ot find supplies, I saw the following: -Maxx SS -1st 06 IS (thing looks pretty nice on the road) -51 Ford -newer NSX (non pop-up lamp version) -some prewar car (don't know those that well)