Opinions?

Camino LS6

The other day I was offered a free car. It's an '84 Camaro, all that I know about it is that it was a V6 car that is now "set-up" for a V8 and that it is in "decent" shape. I'm pretty lukewarm to the idea because it is a V6 car which limits my legal options about what I can do with it.

I may investigate a bit more, but I'm not sure I want to bother with such a car.

Thoughts?

That's a thought.

Well, if the body is in good shape and the interior is intact (I am sure parts for that era are difficult to locate), I'd say AAS' idear is an excellent one.

Thanks guys... I actually got the idea myself, after recently riding in a slightly modified Turbo T-Type. I was thinking a '97, '98 Camaro with the turbo 6 and a 6M would be fun.

I'm not familiar with PAs emissions requirements, but if you stick an LS V8 in it, it'll probaly run cleaner than the 6 that originally came with it. When I had the S10 Blazer with the V8 and would go for my NYS inspection, the inspector would give me a problem every year because it had a V8 and not the V6 that came with it, but the sticker showed that the trucks emissions were a fraction of what a 2.8L V6 S10 Blazer called for.

If you want to stick with a V6, AAS' suggestion sounds great, as does a SC 3800 or even a hotted-up 4.3L V6 (75% of a 350 :AH-HA_wink:).

F R E E is my favorite4 letter word starting with an "F".

Xp makes the exact same point I would.

Dude, I WISh I was lucky enough to be offered a free car!

Umm, hello?! Free is free, dude! Worse comes to worse, you drag it home, it turns out to be a complete turdwagon, you dump it on craigslist for $200.

Yes.

Searching for drivetrains, Camino? That mean you took the free car?

:)

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"We go cruising to entertain ourselves" ... Tracy Chapman ... 'Fast Car'

Yes.

Searching for drivetrains, Camino? That mean you took the free car?

:)

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"We go cruising to entertain ourselves" ... Tracy Chapman ... 'Fast Car'

No, but it does mean that I'm thinking about it in a serious way. :AH-HA_wink:

Biggest issues IMHO is the condition of the body, and your inclination / ability to do any swaps.

Swapping in a 4th gen 3800 would probably be relatively straightforward (if you want to keep the 6-cylinder), and I recall seeing a supercharged variant as a test mule in a magazine somewhere, that used Holden parts to make it work (re-routed the intake/TB to the rear, with the S/C pulley in front).

Otherwise, I'd think an LS1 swap would be cleaner emissions-wise (and probably more readily available) than most other options.

Personally, I'd wonder if I could fit a lighter LNF motor into a 3g body - but that's pie-in-the-sky dreaming.

Just my $0.02.

Iron duke = half of a 389.

They have potential.

Headers, carb., hi-perf. heads, forged rods.... :smilewide: