Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trinacriabob

Opinions on the Focus and other Ford products

13 posts in this topic

As I drive around, I seem to notice quite a few new Focuses. I know they're sales figures are up.

I once drove the previous-gen Focus coupe (with the lights up in the rear pillars) as a rental. It was a nice little car. A little small for my taste, but still a very cool little car that was fun to putt around in.

I've also driven the Milan. I was really impressed with its stability and handling. I had it out on the twisties on Highway 1 near Big Sur.

Ford has some good products out there, so I'm surprised at the slide. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them. But my top loyalty is obviously with GM.

Seriously, the new Focus sedan is a clean-looking nicely put together compact. I would say I like it a little better than the Cobalt. On the flip side, I would have to say that they blew it on the new Focus coupe. But, nowadays, getting the sedan right is more important anyway.

Do the Focus hold up as a long-term car or is it somewhat of a "throw-away?" Any other good Ford products in your opinion?

As I drive around, I seem to notice quite a few new Focuses. I know they're sales figures are up.

I once drove the previous-gen Focus coupe (with the lights up in the rear pillars) as a rental. It was a nice little car. A little small for my taste, but still a very cool little car that was fun to putt around in.

I've also driven the Milan. I was really impressed with its stability and handling. I had it out on the twisties on Highway 1 near Big Sur.

Ford has some good products out there, so I'm surprised at the slide. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them. But my top loyalty is obviously with GM.

Seriously, the new Focus sedan is a clean-looking nicely put together compact. I would say I like it a little better than the Cobalt. On the flip side, I would have to say that they blew it on the new Focus coupe. But, nowadays, getting the sedan right is more important anyway.

Do the Focus hold up as a long-term car or is it somewhat of a "throw-away?" Any other good Ford products in your opinion?

With the exception of some tranny issues on relatively recent vintage Explorers and last-gen Windstars and Tauri, I's say they make some decent stuff.

The current Fusion/Milan is a good car and great value--especially as a 2nd hand buy. The Focus and Escape are two of the better handlers in their respective classes---only let down by some questionable interior plastic choices. The Mustang is a pony car, for better or worse, and alot of fun to drive, IMO.

I must also confess to a soft spot for the Freestyle and TaurusX, despite the rest of the country ignoring them. If they can hold out until the Euro product is ready, I think they'll be OK, unlike our friends down at the tubes...

My buddy briefly owned a blue 2008 Focus SE sedan automatic and it was a surprisingly capable small car. Rear seat legroom was meager and the 2.0 liter engine was not a powerhouse in any sense of the word but mileage was spectacular, usually in the low 30's combined and upper 30's on a trip, it handled very well and was pretty quiet and the trunk was pretty decent in size. Neither of us were a fan of the exterior styling with the silly fake chrome air extractors, lack of bodyside protection moldings and fussy front grille treatment and not once were we every stopped by onlookers asking us what the car was as was often the case with his 2006 Impala, rental 2008 Malibu LT or his old 1985 Cutlass Supreme coupe. He also had a 2008 FWD Taurus SEL fleet car from his job for about 6 months which was a pretty nice car. The new 3.5 is very powerful and not bad on gas on the open road. The 500's roominess carries over and the trunk is huge! The exterior styling was better than the Focus in our opinion but we both agreed that a bodyside molding would go a long way in breaking up the plain slab sided, tall appearance of this car and protect those big doors from dings.

ford 's products are so solid these days!

they just don't hit the style meter.

interestingly enough, the fusion is my least favorite ford. i just can't warm to it. must be the Japanese DNA.

I had two focuses this year, 08's, each as loaners for a week at a time.

Entirely good commuter cars. Nothing wrong with them. Nice and all of that.

I am a ford banger and have owned like 5 or 6 fords in a row.

After all of this, regarding the Focus, knowing its a decent car and all of that, I would send anyone who is looking at a Focus, over to the saturn dealer and make them test drive an Astra first.

If they are interested in automatic they might all pick the Focus, but only due to a little more grunt making the front wheels. And some creature comforts.

If they enjoy the subtleties of all the tactile parts of a vehicle, and a manual transmission, and DRIVING, I think they would easily select the Astra nearly all the time.

The Focus is a good car. the Astra is on the next level of refinement.

Kudos to Ford though, they are quietly building a rep for solid vehicles with virtue. I think a small group of consumers is starting to take notice.

Edited by regfootball

Ditto on the Astra thing. got bored after voting vesterday and wandered over to the local Ford dealer. The focus just doesn't ahve what the Astra does.

Chris

...and also, yes, kudos to Ford for building MUCH better quality vehicles.

Chris

Am I wrong or wasn't there supposed to be an update to the Focus for 2009? I don't keep up on Ford too much, but I could have sworn there was to be an update on it.

What's in the future? I think revised Fusion for 2010, right? Do we get the new Taurus 2010 or 2011?

New Focus in 2010, I think Based on the Mazda 3 Chasis, should be pretty good.

Oh, and BTW, still car shopping Pauli? How is school going for you?

Chris

new taurus arrives next summer.

fusion/milan new very soon

09 focus had some updates

flex is new

escape has new powertrains

fiesta arrives in awhile

KA may come here

transit connect, next summer

if you are shopping the focus, be sure to look at the suzuki SX4 as well.

New Focus in 2010, I think Based on the Mazda 3 Chasis, should be pretty good.

Oh, and BTW, still car shopping Pauli? How is school going for you?

Chris

I'm always keeping my eyes open. I kind of want tenure this year and then I'll look more seriously at a car. I'm always in the never-ending debate: Buick, or something more modern? 4 cylinder or 6? Things like that.

I don't like the Edge, Flex, Focus, MKZ. I do really like the Taurus/500/Sable/Taurus X (a Lot) and the Fusion/Milan, the Explorer, the MKS and the MKX.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0