This can't be true...

From Edmunds...

No more Fullsize BOF GM SUV's?

I really would like to doubt this if this is true it is so stupid, they still sell pretty well considering there size and fuel economy. I mean it is a simple spin-off of a Sierra/Silverado don't tell me they are willing to exit this market even though it is shrinking and still own it just like they did 10 years ago.

I do too since the developement is shared with Silverado/Sierra I can see the Yukon/Tahoe getting cut but I bet the Suburban and Yukon XL will be around a while. There is still a market for these vehicles folks that have to tow and move a family. Honestly they were the leaders at the start of the SUV boom and still are now. Like I said they still sell well in my area my dealer has been getting more in and the cheap gas now is helping that. Even through last year they have sold one. Five folks in my area got new Suburbans (08-09) and two were LS's and three were LTZ's.

I think that the article just says that GM discontinued development of an all new Suburban. The Suburban stayed on the same platform from 1973 to 1991. I predict the Suburban will remain on its current platform for many years to come, perhaps through at least 2020.

I think that the article just says that GM discontinued development of an all new Suburban. The Suburban stayed on the same platform from 1973 to 1991. I predict the Suburban will remain on its current platform for many years to come, perhaps through at least 2020.

Yes, I don't see anything wrong with that...offer some diesels, make upgrades here and there, and the Suburban, Tahoe, and Yukon could stay around as long as there is demand. Chevy has the Uplander to handle the family wagon market.

I think they need new the SUV's maybe we'll get them later. A non-RWD based Suburban is wrong FYI.

Since they just came out for '07, I can't see the need to redesign them for at least 10 years, since that niche is not as hot as it used to be..

It would only be prudent for GM to be 'announcing' that they are going to quit themselves of these behemoths as they beg for money from Washington. It would also be prudent for them to focus their precious resources on small and mid-sized offerings in this new world economic order. As long as there is demand for large, truck based SUVs for towing, contractors, etc., I am sure GM will continue to build them. It's not like GM hasn't sold ANY this year.

As I posted earlier, this hyper-shortened truck revamp schedule that we've seen since '98 could not be sustained even when GM was making buckets of money.

If there is one thing we can be sure of in these interesting economic times, it's that we can't be sure of anything. If GM survives 2009, then they can take a look at the big brutes and their long term survival.

Getting rid of all of GM's truck-based SUVs would be stupid. Resizing their production and minimizing investment dollars into development would be smart. They could leave it pretty much the same for the next 10 years, with a mild refresh in there somewhere, and it would be fine.

A few comments:

1) To completely exit the SUV market is insane and just a repeat of what GM essentially did in the car market when it lost HUGE ground to the imports. I certainly hope GM isn't that stupid. I guess all that talk of "maintaining our lead in trucks" was all :bs: after all.

2) Everything that I've heard says that the Silverado, Sierra, Suburban and Yukon will survive as is (Since sales haven't really changed that much for those models) but that the Tahoe and Yukon (Where the poser market was and where sales have really died) will be either discontinued or replaced with Lambda versions. It's hard to imagine the need for the Yukon, Tahoe, Acadia AND Traverse to all exist on Lambda, so I'm sure at least 2 will be cut.

3) There will always be a need for BOF trucks and SUVs. Nissan knows it, Toyota knows it, Ford knows it, but I guess GM is ready to roll over and play dead in that market too.

4) Maybe we'll get a set of smaller, but more capable BOF SUVs from GMT700. Like it or not, people gotta tow. I guess GM has accepted defeat though.

5) Wouldn't Zeta be a better platform than Lambda for this sort of thing? I know that the V8 should be able to fit into Lambda, but still...

6) What about when battery technology becomes good enough to warrant production of these vehicles again? I guess GM plans to be caught off guard again with little to no presence in a segment that will see monumental growth?

Getting rid of all of GM's truck-based SUVs would be stupid. Resizing their production and minimizing investment dollars into development would be smart. They could leave it pretty much the same for the next 10 years, with a mild refresh in there somewhere, and it would be fine.

:yes:

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

When you read anything that PCS posts like this, you have to "read between the lines". So here's my take on the article link he posted:

Tahoe, Yukon and Escalade not being replaced

This heading does not include the following words: Suburban and Yukon XL (of course the XL could be cut though).

The full-size SUV's future is on shaky legs and now, reports have surfaced that General Motors has killed the next generation Tahoe and Yukon 'utes, just weeks after announcing it would shutter its SUV plant in Janesville, Wisconsin.

It says that GM killed the next Generation Tahoe and Yukon - no mention of Suburban and Yukon XL.

Of course, if that pair is buried, the Suburban and the Cadillac Escalade that use the same platform must also come to an end, at least in their current form.

This is the writer's opinion, which to me shows his lack of knowlegde of these trucks as the Suburban/Yukon XL/Escalade ESV are on a longer platform than the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade. I see no reason why the largest BOF SUVs, other than the Escalade ESV, will be killed too; GM has owned this market since 1935... why give it up now??? Funny though that the Avalanche and Escalade EXT are not mentioned in these "death" plans :scratchchin:

Past reports indicate that the ultra-lux ride from Caddy will move to the Lambda platform for its next generation.

Okay, this part we've known about since the summer. So basically "Escalade" is not dying, just moving to a different platform (pretty much just the GMT-900 version is dead).

The Tahukon pair had been slated for a redesign in 2011, and since that's reportedly not going to happen, the duo's future is definitely in question. GM will probably keep churning out the current version until it's no longer profitable to do so.

From this I take it that GM will continue to produce the Tahoe/Yukon duo as demand sees fit. Once demand drops to where GM loses money to make them, then they will die. And that the planned 2011 redesign is cancelled - to me that's okay, as these trucks are pretty darn good for what is needed/expected of them. Those consumers (posers, as someone earlied stated) that require more "car-like" necessities & room from their SUV/crossover will not be buying a Tahoe/Yukon.

Again, the panic mode sets in and all of these articles do is cause people to panic even more :scared::mind-blowing:

I think GMCTruck guy is right, would I miss the Avalanche? Hell no a perfectly use-less vehicle buy a Silverado Crewcab. As the Escalade EXT cut it loose. Then if the Tahoe/Yukon go because of the Lambdas keep the longest wheelbase Suburban and Yukon XL.

Edited by gm4life

I guess I could see giving the Tahoe/Yukon the axe, and their buyers moving either down to the Lambda or up to the 'Burban/XL (maybe drop the XL and just start calling the long wb version the Yukon?) I personally don't see the point of buying a Tahoe/Yukon anyway - for practically the same fuel economy you can have soooo much more room in a 'burban/XL.

<3 my burban. :)

Help me understand what? :P

I do believe the the Burban' and Yukon (XL) will live on.....

But there is not going to be enough "poser" sales to keep the Tahoe/Yukon twins alive...

The Trailblazer is dead....and the Tahoe is not that far behind........

I'd willing to bet on that one.... :yes:

And as for moving to a new platform...I'm thinking not.

They'll end up replacing them with different models....

Maybe the Outlook, Traverse, Tahoe, Escalade, Enclave, Acadia, Suburban and Yukon will all be on Lambda.

I couldn't see the point in having both a Tahoe and Traverse and an Acadia and Yukon on Lambda, they'd be redundant, since the Lambdas are as big as the GMT-900s are now..

Maybe the Outlook, Traverse, Tahoe, Escalade, Enclave, Acadia, Suburban and Yukon will all be on Lambda.

Listen hear that would be so stupid. We already have an Outlook, Traverse, Acadia, Enclave on the Lambda even adding the Escalade would be stupid in my mind. Why in the hell would you put even more cars on a platform when most of the brands already have one verison of it? :fryingpan: Also in addition to that people will still want vehicles that seat the family have a real solid rear axle and can tow nearly double want an Acaida can won't they? I for one know in my area alot of boat and premium travel trailer towers love there Suburban LTZ's or XL Denali's for this job. Simply put a Traverse or a Lambda based Tahoe wouldn't cut it. When all they have owned is Suburbans and I doubt the price of gas (now under 2.50 around me) is going to hurt them much, they can afford to drive a massive rolling testament to the bigger is better and only in America vehicle like a Burban LTZ with chrome 20's. :pokeowned:

The Trailblazer is dead....and the Tahoe is not that far behind........

I'd willing to bet on that one.... :yes:

So the question then becomes: what value does the tahoe name possess that the Traverse names does not, or vice versa. Will GM choose to build the Traverse name or rename the Lambda vehicle to Tahoe in the coming years?

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a very capable, yet smaller BOF SUV spawned off of GMT700 and named either Tahoe or Blazer in the future.