VW stock today

mustang84

None of my 4 VWs ever broke down.

.... then why did you have 4 of them? :scratchchin:

CARBIZ, because if you haven't noticed, I don't keep any vehicle very long. So far this decade, I've had an '00 GTI 1.8t, '02 Silverado shortie, '03 ION QC III, '04 Colorado Z71, '07 Sierra shortie and '09 Cobalt.

VWs usually top quality and reliability surveys around the world. I suspect the perception that US consumers have of VW has something to do with its useless dealers.

Quickly looking up the JD Power survey, VW is rated average or below average across the board. I had a prof that was a lean manufacturing consultant with a lot of the top auto companies, and even he said that VW just can't get their quality right. Not that the cars aren't engineered well, but that they can't seem to manufacture them consistently well. So while one may go out the factory door and be rock solid and very reliable, the next one out the door may be full of gremlins. Add in the difficulty and cost of repair, and getting one with gremlins is a nightmare.

It had nothing to do with their product. It was all just market manipulation.

Porsche said it owned 74% of VW (through derivatives). Lower Saxony owns 20%, leaving only 5% of VW's shares available. Hedge funds scrabbled to cover their shorts, briefly driving VW stock from €210 to over €1,000, which made VW worth more than Exxon. It also made hedge funds worth €20 billion less and the DAX rise 7%.

well there you go. build vehicles that break down, but that the metrosexuals like, and you are IN.

I really don't think you can generalize any more about any vehicle's overall reliability.......

My '07 CTS, over 39,000 miles, has been THE most trouble-free car I've ever had....and still has a complete lack of rattles or loosening of the chassis.....

Yet there was a customer in our service department a while back that was in tears, literally, because her CTS had been an absolute nightmare.....more problems than you can count.

I really don't think you can generalize any more about any vehicle's overall reliability.......

My '07 CTS, over 39,000 miles, has been THE most trouble-free car I've ever had....and still has a complete lack of rattles or loosening of the chassis.....

Yet there was a customer in our service department a while back that was in tears, literally, because her CTS had been an absolute nightmare.....more problems than you can count.

What year? I hear the '03s are a bitch, but they got everything sorted out by '04. I had no trouble with mine either other than a flaky sunroof dial replaced very very early in the car's life.

I've had issues with my CTS too. I won't get into all of it because its off topic but the biggest one was the rear-differential being replaced. My Cavalier was much more trouble free.

As far as VW's, I know quite a few people who have had problems with various sensors, brakes and exhaust control problems.

well there you go. build vehicles that break down, but that the metrosexuals like, and you are IN.

I am a very hairy heterosexual and I love VW's... I want a TDI Diesel in the fleet like yesterday. :confused0071:

Most of the guys in the local VW club are not Metrosexual. And most of the VW's I know of rarely break down. :scratchchin:

Chris :convertible:

Every so often everyone builds a bad car. I once talked to a GM engeneer who worked in the crash test department. He said that they usually took apart and examined cars that Gm bought back as lemons. Apparently, poor dealer service and poor dealer toubleshooting of simple items is usually the culprit.

From what he said, GM buys back about 400 cars a month, many of which are then used for crash testing or other "destructive" testing.

So there may be a concrete barrier in the future of that particular CTS. Which is sad for me to think of any car dieing, esp. a CTS.

Chris

Nearly every CTS owner I talk with just raves about the car.

I can't think of a single owner group that is happier with their cars, given the people I've talked to informally.

Glad yourCTS is working out well. Maybe if I get wealthy or my wife and I get the kids grown and out of the house, I'll fly to Vegas and buy one off of you.

Chris

Basically, yeah.

Pretty much every VeeDub owner I know (A lot, since I hang out with architects, which basically are 1) metrosexual people 2) Gay people and 3) yuppies) has a love/hate relationship with their car.

I even know one girl that told me of the front of her Passat (The bumper cover) FALLING OFF while she was driving down the road.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

this cute little secretary at the shop bought a beetle and within the first two weeks the trans wouldn't go in 2nd and her passenger heated seat shorted and caught the seat on fire. VW Said "those are issues that were caused by general wear and tear and not covered by the warranty" I think the car had 250 miles. She ended up in court for over 4 months and she won. They gave her what she paid back and the VP of VW North America gave her and Unlimited mile 3 year lease of a Jetta that was mostly problem free. Although the next car she bought was Impala. I mean We have bad stories about every company and car and we have some good its just the nature of the beast, Unfortunately we hear bad more often.

this cute little secretary at the shop bought a beetle and within the first two weeks the trans wouldn't go in 2nd and her passenger heated seat shorted and caught the seat on fire. VW Said "those are issues that were caused by general wear and tear and not covered by the warranty" I think the car had 250 miles. She ended up in court for over 4 months and she won. They gave her what she paid back and the VP of VW North America gave her and Unlimited mile 3 year lease of a Jetta that was mostly problem free. Although the next car she bought was Impala. I mean We have bad stories about every company and car and we have some good its just the nature of the beast, Unfortunately we hear bad more often.

VW and its plethora of quality problems gets excused though, because it isn't a Detroit company. Even CR has plotted quality problems on VWs, yet they still seem to be something of status.

:rolleyes:

VW and its plethora of quality problems gets excused though, because it isn't a Detroit company. Even CR has plotted quality problems on VWs, yet they still seem to be something of status.

:rolleyes:

VW gets away with it because their cars LOOK like they are built well and come with manual trannies; therefore, they are the darlings of the auto mags. It seems that the quality of the HVAC control switches is more important than the seat catching fire.

German engineering means the vehicle handles great when it's not in the shop.

Coming with Manual Trannies is not a bad thing. My 12 year old wants a beetle when she turns 16. I told her she would have to get a manual because VW's autotrajics are so bad.

Chris

VW gets away with it because their cars LOOK like they are built well and come with manual trannies; therefore, they are the darlings of the auto mags. It seems that the quality of the HVAC control switches is more important than the seat catching fire.

German engineering means the vehicle handles great when it's not in the shop.

It's that so many people are more concerned with the dash material being more soothing on their ass then their regular hemeroid cream instead of whether or not the power locks/mirror/seats/radio/dashboard will continue to function properly after 25,000 miles. Sure the dash material is soft, but scratch it gently with a fingernail and see how great it looks then.

My ex's Passat had the smoothest 6-cylinder this side of BMW, but it had a reliability record that would make first gen Kia's blush.

I don't like the VW six, actually. It just doesn't feel "right" somehow to me. And the Passat seems to lack the handling of some of the smaller VW products.

Passats seemed to be the worst for reliability amoung the VW's.

It will be interesting to see how American Labor changes or improves the reliability thing. I do know the cars built in Brazil and Mexico have had their fair share of problems.

Chris

I don't like the VW six, actually. It just doesn't feel "right" somehow to me. And the Passat seems to lack the handling of some of the smaller VW products.

Passats seemed to be the worst for reliability amoung the VW's.

It will be interesting to see how American Labor changes or improves the reliability thing. I do know the cars built in Brazil and Mexico have had their fair share of problems.

Chris

Well this was an '01. I understand they have a completely different V6 now.