Talk About A Major Perception Gap........

The O.C.

So,

We were contacted by a TV producer from England. They produce a travel show that apparently is very big in England....it's on prime-time.

Well, they are in Las Vegas filming an episode on the Las Vegas "lifestyle."

They asked us for a Cadillac.....because, you know, Cadillac being a quintessential American car (from a bling-bling standpoint).....and Las Vegas being a quintessential American city (also from a bling-bling standpoint.)

They were going to spend 30 minutes filming the Cadillac in and around Las Vegas, etc.

SO....after weeks of talking with these folks, I showed up at the first location.....the "World Famous Little White Chapel" north of the Strip in a Crystal Red 2009 CTS......loaded....a $50K CTS.....

She (my contact, the producer) finally gets there and walks up to the CTS and I ask her "what do you think?" (Mind you her and the whole crew seem like they are prolly in their 20's to maybe 30's at the oldest.)

She goes....."OMG....it's beautiful....simply stunning...............but it won't work...."

I'm all like "What? What do you mean?"

She says (you aren't gonna believe this)......"I didn't know Cadillac made modern cars......"

Turns out what they were expecting was a hoopdie Cadillac.....like what Elvis drove.....apparently that's what they all thought we sold over here.

:huh:

Mind you she was extremely polite, and admitted the CTS was a beautiful car. I thanked her and proceeded to drive back to the dealership.

Dumb broad.....

<_<

Edited by The O.C.

>>"...MG? Once the second biggest car company of the world."<<

Somehow, I don't think so.... not even remotely close.... ever.

Or were you thinking of British Leyland (of which MG was part of) being the 2nd largest in the UK ?

Oops you are right, I meant 2nd largest british co.

Edited by smallchevy

Just another example of the stupid media: when the facts do not conform to the theory, then the facts must be altered. Bias is not limited to these shores.

Just another example of the stupid media: when the facts do not conform to the theory, then the facts must be altered. Bias is not limited to these shores.

It's not bias, just lack of sheer knowledge.

How many mainstream consumers over here know anything about Seat, Skoda, Citroen, Peugeot, or any other "foreign" company that's currently playing in Europe but not over here?

Remember....these brits are not car enthusiasts.....

but it is still shocking, their preceptions, nonetheless.

It's not bias, just lack of sheer knowledge.

How many mainstream consumers over here know anything about Seat, Skoda, Citroen, Peugeot, or any other "foreign" company that's currently playing in Europe but not over here?

Remember....these brits are not car enthusiasts.....

but it is still shocking, their preceptions, nonetheless.

I am not blaming their ignorance; I am faulting their reaction. Clearly they weren't prepared to go ahead with their 'slant' on America and American cars with a world-class Caddy. You gave them a chance to change that perception and they rejected it.

That is what I call bias.

Sadly, I've found that few people inside or outside of media are interested in reality.

Carbiz, O.C., it's too bad you guys don't have kids. You should try explaining "reality" to a teenager.

Chris

Chris, you think the average car buyer is any smarter than a teenager? :lol:

Ever watch the news? Or a movie? Or any other form of pop culture?

Yes, yes, and quite a bit, actually. I've never come across this ridiculous stereotype. The closest thing I can think of is that some British accents make people sound "smart," but that's certainly not all of them, and most certainly isn't implying that they ARE smarter or better-educated or anything.

Unless you're confusing TV/pop culture with aatbloke, which is totally understandable.

• 8 months later...
Superior is the word I think you're grasping for.

:scratchchin:

na, that isnt a misconception... cause if it werent for our greatest generation they'd be buying stuff with deutsche marks right now.(euros doesnt sound as cool cause they already do that) no offense pcs, historically im just sayin.

Here's an interesting review of the CTS from across the pond... certainly a different perspective of Cadillac than in the US. It does show what buyers are looking for in Europe and perhaps why Cadillac is struggling:

Edited by pow

Check the same pub's review of the G37: seems to me the CTS review was angled - 'will this be enough to succeed', then grabbing a few opinions on the street... yet the G37 was presented on it's own merits with nearly no references to the competition. Presentations were quite different...