2009.5 G6 revealed in Pontiac magazine ad

Flipping through my December issue of Automobile magazine that came in the mail today, I saw a Pontiac insert in the middle that said "posters".

Looking at the pics, specs, etc., boom, there was the revised 2009 G6 from the front stating "benefits from a slew of 2009 improvements".

Outside, the new nose with more detailing and new shapes and also the--finally--painted mirror caps. And then below the 2009 convertible exterior is the revised dash, with the current gen GM head unit, new auto climate control from the Aura & Malibu as well as their steering wheel controls, as well as the new gauge cluster with revised numbering and the now moved DIC.

20095G6Ad.jpg

Having just come from an '08 G6, I really like the new nose and the much improved center stack, even though it's minor, thanks to the new controls. I just wondered if they made any other revisions aside from the fascia & center stack, like some Aura-Malibu suspension revisions or quieting. Don't think so, but oh well.

A cheap update for a car that still sells well enough, and gets it a little more current in basic GM ways. And things like the new 2.4L/6-speed 33mpg coupe should help with a few more sales, as a great new combo.

The new lower fascia reminds me of the Sky. I don't really like it too much.

What's so different about the center stack?

New radio and climate controls. Also new gages.

Reminds me of the Snaple commercial where the guy asks the tea farmer what white tea is, and after its explained he says "Thats it?" and the farmer says "Thats it"......

The new Pontiac G6.........Me: "Thats it?" GM: "Thats it"

I am the only one who is digging the refreshed G6? It is way better than I thought possible, I would have liked to seen more but the new nose and interior are really sharp. GM just get a new one out now, it is a good band-aid but a new one in a few years is needed.

What's so different about the center stack?

The center stack itself and even the plastics don't seem to have changed, but the head unit and climate controls on it are now updated from their old setup to the current GM units. I'm also interested to see if there are any other finish improvements like to the current flimsy glovebox, etc., to more like the Malibu. I enjoyed my '08 G6 coupe for what it was, and really like this minor improvements.

They just did a latest revision to the ordering guide today:

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/...6863&type=0

Lots of changes, most like a model year switchover, and including some options/standards juggling as well as a new interior color of Titanium/Black in addition to the all Ebony and Taupe/Ebony which remain.

Edited by caddycruiser

Toni, doesn't it look like the gauge numbers are still red in that pic? Anyway, nice, surgical list of changes. I always liked the G6, and still do. So, in reading the text in caddy's photo, it seems there will be a base coupe with the 2.4L/6speed auto? That is a combo I've been asking for, I hope that is really happening. Nice car, Pontiac.

EDIT: I went to the order guide link provided, and indeed, the 4 cylinder is available in the coupe. Cool.

Edited by ocnblu

Toni, doesn't it look like the gauge numbers are still red in that pic? Anyway, nice, surgical list of changes. I always liked the G6, and still do. So, in reading the text in caddy's photo, it seems there will be a base coupe with the 2.4L/6speed auto? That is a combo I've been asking for, I hope that is really happening. Nice car, Pontiac.

EDIT: I went to the order guide link provided, and indeed, the 4 cylinder is available in the coupe. Cool.

Not red as in pure red like the current Pontiacs, but the gauge design look like it came off an Impala SS with the letters arranged like on a Sky, if you know what I mean. And definitely the bowtie radio display isn't.

And yeah, that is the combo, according to the order guide the base coupe is standard with 6-speed and 2.4L.

One thing they should really change but didn't was the steering wheel. The 3-spoke GM standard issue steering wheel is the ultimate expression of El Cheapo. The is the first thing which the driver grabs and which he stares at touches all the time, and this is where the G6, the Malibu and other GM products feel the cheapest. The Cruze wheel and the G8 wheel looks a lot better. This 3-spoke Rubbermaid special is no doubt on the way out, I am just a little disappointed they didn't get rid if it during the G6 refresh.

Lipstick on a pig.

It is an improvment but the car needs upgrades in more areas.

Just a wild thought here but could the Saturn look be the first step to combine Pontiac, Saturn and Opel?

All GM's Divisions have plans on world markets except for Pontiac and GMC. The G8 is their only link.

With the lack of future Pontiac products we know of this could resolve some of their new product problems and make Pontiac a world market product.

I know this is unlikely but like I said just a wild though.

Lipstick on a pig.

All GM's Divisions have plans on world markets except for Pontiac and GMC. The G8 is their only link.

There you go- GM has not decided if they are even KEEPING Pontiac....hense, the lack of product development.

If they do, I'm sure they could they could find product somewhere..

Oh dear lord, I'm starting to sound like PCS.... :rolleyes::lol::P

There you go- GM has not decided if they are even KEEPING Pontiac....hense, the lack of product development.

If they do, I'm sure they could they could find product somewhere..

Oh dear lord, I'm starting to sound like PCS.... :rolleyes::lol::P

He hath succeeded.

Not bad....the nose is nice.

Is that for all models?

A co worker of mine is considering a base G6 sedan....it could help....

Yes, new nose and painted mirrors on all, and it looks like the stripped Special Value sedan base model is gone. Some improved features packaging, as well, and more choices in general, plus the new Bluetooth, etc.

"needs improvement!"

I kind of think it is funny how we all try to figure out how GM can save Pontiac when GM has not figured out how to save GM yet.

Right now with the new product freeze and Pontiac in dire need of new product I see little reason for those who have not entered a Pontiac dealer to go now unless they want a good deal on a G8. I saw one advertised the other day at $25K

Its a shame Pontiac can't even give away one of the best cars sold in this country.

Yes, new nose and painted mirrors on all, and it looks like the stripped Special Value sedan base model is gone. Some improved features packaging, as well, and more choices in general, plus the new Bluetooth, etc.

Hmm... then I wonder what the cheapest model would be?

Or maybe with the money saved on the changes the prices will be a bit lower....

Lipstick on a pig.

Just a wild thought here but could the Saturn look be the first step to combine Pontiac, Saturn and Opel?

With the lack of future Pontiac products we know of this could resolve some of their new product problems and make Pontiac a world market product.

I know this is unlikely but like I said just a wild though.

I'm betting on the Chrysler tie up to provide global support...

Not that I think GM is smart enough to do it, but they could build a performance global division around Dodge & Pontiac. Use Dodges presence around the globe to spring board Pontiac. Combined, the divisions could offer a wider range of already developed and future products. Same could be said for a Pontiac/Jeep tie up.

The changes I would like to have seen on the 2009.5 G6:

1- 2.4 169HP paired with 6 speed manual as std equipment on G6 coupe.

2- 6 speed automatic paired with 3500 engine for an easy 30 plus MPG highway number on the GT models

3- Toned down Bugs Bunny grille and rear spoiler on GTP coupe

4- Bodyside moldings offered as an option on coupes and convertibles(lots of dealership complaints about this)

5- More interor color choices and two tone hues

6- Malibu/Aura like center stack

7- Better softer seats with improved cloth materials

8- More interior lighting on base models

9- Better, deeper glovebox that doesn't feel so flimsy/dash top mounted storage and cupholders on front doors

10- More exterior styling tweaks to keep things fresh

So the simplified lineup would go like this:

Base coupe with 2.4 and 6 speed manual with 6 speed auto optional

Base sedan with 6 speed automatic std

GT coupe with 3500 and 6 speed sport tap shift

GT sedan with 3500 and 6 speed sport tap shift

GTP coupe with 3.6 and 6 speed manual with 6 speed Sport tap shift opt

GTP sedan with 3.6 and 6 speed automatic

Convertible with 3500 and 6 speed automatic or optional 3.6 with same tranny

Edited by ponchoman49

The changes I would like to have seen on the 2009.5 G6:

1- 2.4 169HP paired with 6 speed manual as std equipment on G6 coupe.

2- 6 speed automatic paired with 3500 engine for an easy 30 plus MPG highway number on the GT models

3- Toned down Bugs Bunny grille and rear spoiler on GTP coupe

4- Bodyside moldings offered as an option on coupes and convertibles(lots of dealership complaints about this)

5- More interor color choices and two tone hues

6- Malibu/Aura like center stack

7- Better softer seats with improved cloth materials

8- More interior lighting on base models

9- Better, deeper glovebox that doesn't feel so flimsy/dash top mounted storage and cupholders on front doors

10- More exterior styling tweaks to keep things fresh

So the simplified lineup would go like this:

Base coupe with 2.4 and 6 speed manual with 6 speed auto optional

Base sedan with 6 speed automatic std

GT coupe with 3500 and 6 speed sport tap shift

GT sedan with 3500 and 6 speed sport tap shift

GTP coupe with 3.6 and 6 speed manual with 6 speed Sport tap shift opt

GTP sedan with 3.6 and 6 speed automatic

Convertible with 3500 and 6 speed automatic or optional 3.6 with same tranny

I could go with that....

A convertible with the 3.6 DI and a 6 spd manual would be sweet..it's too bad GMNA is so stingy with the manual transmissions.

All three Chrysler, Ford, and GM are stingy with manual transmission. I do not understand the reason, if a person comes looking for a manual transmission he will have to preorder it. Ask BMW and Infiniti, they have few if not any manual transmissions on the lot. People usually wait to get the manual transmissions of those brands. This not only means lesser bargaining power for the customer, but also more money for the manufacturer.

When I went to test drive a TSX, the dealer said that he could not go any lower with manual trasnmission other than $100 over invoice, but with the automatic he was going to negotiate "lower" than the invoice, given the automatic and manual transmissions are priced same, Acura will be making more money off the manual transmission vehicle compared to the automatic.

Granted manual transmissions are only 5-10% at the most 25% of the total car orders of a particular class of a vehicle. Even if GM will pick less than the 5-10% of the total vehicles sold of that particular class, those are the sales which GM is not having.

All three Chrysler, Ford, and GM are stingy with manual transmission. I do not understand the reason, if a person comes looking for a manual transmission he will have to preorder it. Ask BMW and Infiniti, they have few if not any manual transmissions on the lot. People usually wait to get the manual transmissions of those brands. This not only means lesser bargaining power for the customer, but also more money for the manufacturer.

When I went to test drive a TSX, the dealer said that he could not go any lower with manual trasnmission other than $100 over invoice, but with the automatic he was going to negotiate "lower" than the invoice, given the automatic and manual transmissions are priced same, Acura will be making more money off the manual transmission vehicle compared to the automatic.

Granted manual transmissions are only 5-10% at the most 25% of the total car orders of a particular class of a vehicle. Even if GM will pick less than the 5-10% of the total vehicles sold of that particular class, those are the sales which GM is not having.

It's true... my friend tried so hard to find a Corolla LE with a manual transmission... it just didn't exist.