Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Good names, bad cars

Satty

I was thinking the other day that Metro would be a great name for a Smart-like city car, but GM had to ruin the name by putting it on that shitbox, although I guess it was kind of a city car, it was just a pile of crap. Skylark was ruined by those pointy-nosed things Buick tried to sell.

I'm with you on that one.  I've always been a fan of the Torrent name.

[post="37860"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Me threee...

How about the Daewoo/Poncho LeMans. Depressing.

- Ford Fairmont

- Lincoln Zephyr

- Olds Omega/Firenza

- Dodge Challenger

- Dodge Charger, Chrysler Imperial (fwd K-car based)

- Cadillac Cimarr0n

- Buick Reatta

- VW Phaeton

How about the Daewoo/Poncho LeMans. Depressing.

[post="37879"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Even worse, the car itself was ruined for North Americans by being assembled in Korea, as opposed to Europe where it originated.

80s.... definately 80s. Although the 70s ones were not exactly all that worthwile either, RWD nonwithstanding.

Mitsubishi Lancer. Dodge Lancers were cool. Most Mitsu Lancers here are tepid and lame.

Dodge Polara.

Lincoln Versailles.

Plymouth Volare.

[post="38140"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Now, hold on, man....are you that full of not liking anything that isn't your Olds Aurora to gloss over the existence of the Evolution versions? Hell, I even like the RalliArt models.

I'll tell you what does fit this list, however....the name/cars Lancer replaced here (the throwaway Mirage)...those and Sentras were downright tinny compacts.

LA:

Mitsubishi Lancer. Dodge Lancers were cool. Most Mitsu Lancers here are tepid and lame.

Dodge Polara.

Lincoln Versailles.

Plymouth Volare.

[post="38140"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

As for my contribution to this thread, I'll just go ahead and say it before knightfan does:

Monte Carlo :P (actually I can't complain too much because I came within an eyelash of buying a red '05 MC LT before getting the Cobalt)

other...um...notables

Daytona (the 80s version, though the current "Daytona Edition" Dodges aren't too far behind)
Cutlass (the 97-99)
300M (they should have just called it the Chrysler Vision, since it was originally supposed to be the Eagle Vision until Eagle went belly-up)

Dodge Polara? WHAT? This is one of my favorite Mopars ever. Certainly better than a stupid Camaro-Ripoff 70 'Cuda or Challenger.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

Yup, where for instance a Mercury Turnpike Cruiser is an example of weird and ridicilous styling form the late 60s, this is a great example of a car from 1960 that is just right in a crazy over-the-top awsome, chrome clad, finned hardtop kind of way. :)

Now, hold on, man....are you that full of not liking anything that isn't your Olds Aurora to gloss over the existence of the Evolution versions?  Hell, I even like the RalliArt models.

I'll tell you what does fit this list, however....the name/cars Lancer replaced here (the throwaway Mirage)...those and Sentras were downright tinny compacts.

[post="38167"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Okay, Sixty8, chill.

As Z pointed out, most Lancers here are lame. I'm taking about the one you get at Enterprise when they've rented out the rest of the fleet, not the EVOs and such. Sport compacts aren't my cup of tea, but I appreciate their attributes. But aside from the expensive performance models, the Lancers are quite lame with their faux wood dash, blocky proportions, and J-Lo rear bumper.

See, I'm also not sure about Mirage and Sentra as the cars were surely junk but the names weren't hot either. Actually, yeah, Mirage is pretty neat. Sentra is...yeah.

Well, I guess it's a mater of perception with me....one model can lift the whole line...two defenitely keeps one from saying the whole range is crap. Because hell, following your logic, one could say base F-bodies and Mustangs kill the whole line... BTW, I wasn't saying I liked the name Sentra.

Yeah, I wasn't bent out of shape or nothin'... :huh:

Eh, the '59 Dodge is a mean lookin' Son-ova-bitch but I think the '59 Buick have it beat. Maybe we can call it a tie.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well, I guess it's a mater of perception with me....one model can lift the whole line...two defenitely keeps one from saying the whole range is crap.

Because hell, following your logic, one could say base F-bodies and Mustangs kill the whole line...

BTW, I wasn't saying I liked the name Sentra.

[post="38377"][/post]

I look at it proportionally - I see dozens and dozens of regular Lancers for every Evo. I would also argue that even base Mustangs and Camaros look nice on the outside and convey a sense of performance even if a Buick Regal can outgun it in a stoplight race. I can accept the goofy styling and tack-ons of an Evo because its totally within its character as a hot rally-type car. Lancer is an awesome name and appropriate for this...
Posted Image

But not this...
Posted Image