Tires?

A quick question for those who are good with tires...

I'm looking for a good, solid tire for the wife's Cavalier.

Nothing fancy, though I wouldn't mind a little extra grip.

I'm not looking at pricey tires, private brands are fine as long as they are solid....

You have to remember, they are for a Cavvie...

I was just at Wal-Mart, and found Goodyear Vivas for 60 buck each, and they did not look bad....

I;m going to be looking for tires for the Balt' soon too, though I'm considering Firestone right now...the Contis on it now suck big time.....

I'm wondering about what I should consider.....I could just go to Belle Tire or something like that, but it' snice to kno what is out there...

Edited by daves87rs

A quick question for those who are good with tires...

I'm looking for a good, solid tire for the wife's Cavalier.

Nothing fancy, though I wouldn't mind a little extra grip.

I'm not looking at pricey tires, private brands are fine as long as they are solid....

You have to remember, they are for a Cavvie...

I was just at Wal-Mart, and found Goodyear Vivas for 60 buck each, and they did not look bad....

I;m going to be looking for tires for the Balt' soon too, though I'm considering Firestone right now...the Contis on it now suck big time.....

I'm wondering about what I should consider.....I could just go to Belle Tire or something like that, but it' snice to kno what is out there...

the pirelli p6's that came on my g5 gt were crap...handled poorly and sucked in the snow....bald at 1 year and 30k miles and changed em over to cooper zeon sports which handle amazing and have held up to some of the worst roads around the NYC area....only complaint once again is treadwear....30k miles and 1 year later and theyre bald....gonna be getting dunlop sp sport signatures on saturday....60k treadwear warranty and a 460 treadwear rating so we'll see how they hold up

I've been happy with Fuzion (Bridgestone) HRi on our Odyssey. They were ~$240, shipped, from TireRack... had the local tire center mount them for $60.

20K miles later, they're a bit noisy but still have a good amount of tread left. For $300, I'm satisfied.

Edited by empowah

the pirelli p6's that came on my g5 gt were crap...handled poorly and sucked in the snow....bald at 1 year and 30k miles and changed em over to cooper zeon sports which handle amazing and have held up to some of the worst roads around the NYC area....only complaint once again is treadwear....30k miles and 1 year later and theyre bald....gonna be getting dunlop sp sport signatures on saturday....60k treadwear warranty and a 460 treadwear rating so we'll see how they hold up

Haven't heard much about Dunlops lately.....

And the Zeons don't sound bad, but a co worker with a Neon has huge issues with them....

I got Yoko H4S when they first came out (local place ordered them for me - no upcharge)

for my econobox that thinks it's a sportscar (needed at least "H" ;))

not expensive (at the time) long treadlife

& have been good in all weather

TireRack

I got Yoko H4S when they first came out (local place ordered them for me - no upcharge)

for my econobox that thinks it's a sportscar (needed at least "H" ;))

not expensive (at the time) long treadlife

& have been good in all weather

TireRack

They seem right around the Vivas...though I weonder how well they handle snow....

I drove them a little in snow when new, Daves87rs

and could Not get them to slip (but they are just AllSeasons)

Will find out (much) more this winter - since I moved -

but that's probably too late to help you...

edit

just went & looked

mine don't have "M+S" (mud and snow) markings on them

but like I said - got them when they first came out, if that could make a diff.

Edited by 2b2

I drove them a little in snow when new, Daves87rs

and could Not get them to slip (but they are just AllSeasons)

Will find out (much) more this winter - since I moved -

but that's probably too late to help you...

edit

just went & looked

mine don't have "M+S" (mud and snow) markings on them

but like I said - got them when they first came out, if that could make a diff.

Got ya...I'm going to look at those tires too (this weekend), so I can see the tires up close...

About how much did they run you?

And are they grippy? The Cav has the stock Goodyear Conquest (I think) and they were so- so...

You would not BELIEVE how grippy they were... Made that Cavalier feel like an alpine rescue vehicle. But they ride real nice on dry pavement too... and they have a 80000Mi warranty on treadwear.

About how much did they run you?

And are they grippy? The Cav has the stock Goodyear Conquest (I think) and they were so- so...

You would not BELIEVE how grippy they were... Made that Cavalier feel like an alpine rescue vehicle. But they ride real nice on dry pavement too... and they have a 80000Mi warranty on treadwear.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...inSpeedRating=S

TireRack has them for 85$/tire on the 14 inch Cavs and 98$/tire on the 15 inch Cavs, but there's a 40$ rebate off your total if you buy a set of four... Since the 15s on the Deltas are narrower they're a few dollars more expensive on the Cobalt/G5 but worth it... These tires made both cars feel much more solid when you're driving them, especially the G5 because those Continentals blow chunks once they start to wear down even a bit (HINT ocnblu HINT).

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...inSpeedRating=S

TireRack has them for 85$/tire on the 14 inch Cavs and 98$/tire on the 15 inch Cavs, but there's a 40$ rebate off your total if you buy a set of four... Since the 15s on the Deltas are narrower they're a few dollars more expensive on the Cobalt/G5 but worth it... These tires made both cars feel much more solid when you're driving them, especially the G5 because those Continentals blow chunks once they start to wear down even a bit (HINT ocnblu HINT).

Nice!

You aren't joking about the Contis..they suck!

You sold me on them for the Balt, and I plan to check them out on the Cav....

One word of caution, don't buy a tire from Wally world. The main reason is that the Goodyear Viva you're talking about will only be available at a Wal Mart because its a special tire made only for Wal Marts and Sams Clubs, if anything at least get a tire that you'll be able to find pretty well anywhere else. (Also Goodyears are overrated and overpriced for what they are, go with BF Goodrich, Michelin, or Bridgestone/Firestone and you'll probably be a good bit happier.) I myself prefer a UniRoyal tire simply because its made in the same factories and owned by Michelin, so you get Michelin quality in a less expensive package.

One word of caution, don't buy a tire from Wally world. The main reason is that the Goodyear Viva you're talking about will only be available at a Wal Mart because its a special tire made only for Wal Marts and Sams Clubs, if anything at least get a tire that you'll be able to find pretty well anywhere else. (Also Goodyears are overrated and overpriced for what they are, go with BF Goodrich, Michelin, or Bridgestone/Firestone and you'll probably be a good bit happier.) I myself prefer a UniRoyal tire simply because its made in the same factories and owned by Michelin, so you get Michelin quality in a less expensive package.

Hmmm...I din't think of that...Thanks. 8)

What do you think would be a good quality (less expensive) tire would be for a 03 Cavalier?

The only thing I want to add is some extra grip over the current stock tire (goodyear) it has on now....

Hmmm...I din't think of that...Thanks. 8)

What do you think would be a good quality (less expensive) tire would be for a 03 Cavalier?

The only thing I want to add is some extra grip over the current stock tire (goodyear) it has on now....

Well... I'd stay away from the Goodyear Integrity... them is $h!e. If you want a more expensive tire for the Cobalt then the TripleTred is the way to go but for a cheaper grippy tire might want to look at what Michelin has to offer.

If the Uni Tiger Paw Touring is available in your size i'd reccomend them. I had a set of 185/65-15 Touring TR's on my '96 SL2 and they were a good tire year round, (I was driving in Iowa winters then) and had a fair amount of tread left even after ~50K when I traded it.

Edited by fightingbee

Well... I'd stay away from the Goodyear Integrity... them is $h!e. If you want a more expensive tire for the Cobalt then the TripleTred is the way to go but for a cheaper grippy tire might want to look at what Michelin has to offer.

True..I do like the idea of tripletreds for the Balt..... :yes:

But I do think I'm going to go with a cheaper grippy tire for her car....

If the Uni Tiger Paw Touring is available in your size i'd reccomend them. I had a set of 185/65-15 Touring TR's on my '96 SL2 and they were a good tire year round, (I was driving in Iowa winters then) and had a fair amount of tread left even after ~50K when I traded it.

That might be a good choice for the Cav...hopefully they have them in 14s......

My mom has Tiger Paws on her Astro...and they hels up very well.....

And if I remember right, they are also made by michelin....

And if I remember right, they are also made by michelin....

Yeah, Uniroyal and BFGoodrich are both made by Michelin North America. UNI's made in the last 10 yrs. or so have been a much better tire than they are often given credit for IMO.

BTW: If your Cav. uses 195/70-14's they are available in that size. I was set on replacing the 10 yr. old dry rotted junk on my '95 Achieva with them this past spring due to the good expierence from my SL2, but they would have to be special ordered locally and I got a real good price from my Saturn retailer for some Michelin Harmonys, so I ended up buying those instead.

Edited by fightingbee

Check them over for any abnormal cracks/bumps/bulges etc. and I would make sure they are not too much older than say 6-7 yrs old or they may have aging issues like the tires that came with my Achieva did causing a pull/shimmy despite proper balancing.

The last 4 numbers of the DOT code (last 3 if made before 2000) of a tire tells the week/year it was made, i.e. 3204 would be 32nd week of 2004.

Not to hijack your thread dave, but how would one go about inspecting tires to see if a used set is any good, besides seeing if there's actual tread.

Need front tires for my car and I don't have the spare coin for new ones at the moment...but 2 used ones are only $50.

With my car, that would be okay,

But the wife's Cav need new solid tires....as I have a baby in her car..... :yes:

That's one of the reasons I'm putting money into her car....gotta keep them safe.....

Check them over for any abnormal cracks/bumps/bulges etc. and I would make sure they are not too much older than say 6-7 yrs old or they may have aging issues like the tires that came with my Achieva did causing a pull/shimmy despite proper balancing.

The last 4 numbers of the DOT code (last 3 if made before 2000) of a tire tells the week/year it was made, i.e. 3204 would be 32nd week of 2004.

Good info, that might come in handy if I wait for tires for the Cobalt, with pothole season around the corner....

Well, that helps.... 8)

I still like the triple treads for the Balt, but the T/As are cheaper by almost 50 bucks a tire compared to the Goodyears.....

Still thinking.....

IMO goodyears are crap for the money...$h!ty treadwear and a crappy warranty

A lot has changed at Goodyear in recent years. Their latest car and light truck tires are top notch.

Yeah I'd agree, don't write off the TripleTread it's an AWESOME tire... better than that BF Goodrich, they're not in the same league even... although for a budget tire the Traction T/A is a good value.

Yeah I'd agree, don't write off the TripleTread it's an AWESOME tire... better than that BF Goodrich, they're not in the same league even... although for a budget tire the Traction T/A is a good value.

I would to get the TripleTreads...them seem like a solid tire.....we'll see what I have to spend...

The TAs look like a good second choice..

They will be worlds better than the Contis.....

Summer of 2007 I was "online" tire shopping for my '04 Malibu LT. I decided that when the money was available (sometime after September due to teaching), I would buy a set of the Goodyear TrpleTread tires as everything I read, especially from other Malibu owners, about them was positive. The crappy Firestones on it since new didn't last past 30k, and driving on them for another 4k miles was interesting! However, I decided to trade in the Malibu for a leased AURA instead of getting tires.

Now the AURA's tires are another story. They are Hankook brand and suck big time. If the road's wet and slippery when I'm stopped, the tires spin and traction control has to engage everytime (this has been occuring since 5k miles; it now has 30k). They're okay on dry pavement, but I dread driving in the rain (forget about snow!). If the AURA wasn't leased I would have gotten rid of those crappy tires many months ago. The wife's G6 has the same tires too, but they haven't acted like my AURAs tires yet. Since we're financing the G6 and the wife is doing highway miles, I'm sure those tires will be gone by next summer and I plan to get it a set of the Goodyear TripleTreads. My neighbor though is a diehard Michelin tire man and only gets them for his Ford cars. The Envoy had a set of Michelin truck tires and they lasted to the end of the lease this past summer (although if I owned the truck, it would have gotten new shoes before fall arrived). I'd put my money on these two companies, although I'd likely consider UniRoyal too since they're owned by Michelin.

Since you care about the wife and baby being safe, I'd splurge for a good set of Goodyear or Michelin tires.

And sorry to be hijacking your thread... but I have a question for those knowledgable about "summer tires". I am considering getting a 2009 or 2010 Pontiac G8 GT late next year (when the AURA lease is up or a good pull-ahead offer is given). I really like the 19" rims that are available in the "Performance Package", but they come with 19" summer-only tires. Being that I live in southern NJ where there's a lot of rain and some snow in the fall/winter months, should I consider not opting for the "Performance Package" and forgoing the 19" rims/summer tires? Going with the G8 (if that's my ultimate decision) would mean there will be no extra money left after a down payment. That takes out getting snow tires and/or winter rims for it. Advice please??

I've heard the Yokohama avid trz is a good all around tire. Take a look at them and see what you think but like the rest said the Goodyear assurance tripletreds are going to be a better tire. :wink: The only thing I can say about Michelin tires is I'm never putting another set on my truck.

And sorry to be hijacking your thread... but I have a question for those knowledgable about "summer tires". I am considering getting a 2009 or 2010 Pontiac G8 GT late next year (when the AURA lease is up or a good pull-ahead offer is given). I really like the 19" rims that are available in the "Performance Package", but they come with 19" summer-only tires. Being that I live in southern NJ where there's a lot of rain and some snow in the fall/winter months, should I consider not opting for the "Performance Package" and forgoing the 19" rims/summer tires? Going with the G8 (if that's my ultimate decision) would mean there will be no extra money left after a down payment. That takes out getting snow tires and/or winter rims for it. Advice please??

That's okay.....

I would hit up tirerack.com...they offer some good tires/rims packages....

Or better yet, get a cheap winter beater and save that G8..... :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Two over-achievers I like on my vehicles: 1) semi-classic choice: Yokohama H4S, superb in every way for a performance tire, even in snow; 2) new kid: General Altimax HP, superb grand touring ride, super quiet, nearly equal to H4S in steering response.

As for Kumho, there are much better U.S.-made and Japanese-made options for a little more money.

I am also a longtime fan of the Traction T/A on smaller wheels. They look great and handle well enough.

Also agreed that Goodyear Integrity tires are awful. Had them on two cars when new. Nothing good to say about them. I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. The only worse tire I've had on a new car lately is the Bridgestone Turanza EL400. Horrific tire in any category.

The GY Integrity is total junk. We sell tires and I almost sell BFG exclusively because its the only tire I trust.

The Low Rolling Resistance goes a long way to a nicer ride and these tires are the reason we have such good mileage on our Impala. That is, however, all the good that's gonna be said about said tires.

The Low Rolling Resistance goes a long way to a nicer ride and these tires are the reason we have such good mileage on our Impala. That is, however, all the good that's gonna be said about said tires.

Yeah...true.

Though my Contis both suck and offer lousy milage....

The the goodyears and the Cav tend to do well....