It's over: Obama wins

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now to repeal the Patriot Act and restore Civil Liberties !!!

Psssssht......civil liberties are overrated. I feel comfortable knowing that the government can find out that I'm borrowing Berenstain Bears books from the library.

Eight years ago on election night, Florida was called for Gore, and all seemed good in the world. The next morning came the truly stomach-churning news that Florida then belonged to Bush. It was no surprise that four years of incompetence followed, and the country was driven into the ground. Four years ago, a hapless Kerry ran an inept campaign, and Bush was given the opportunity to continue to drive the country into the ground. Why anybody would want to continue that trajectory of the country is totally beyond me.

Eight years ago on election night, Florida was called for Gore, and all seemed good in the world. The next morning came the truly stomach-churning news that Florida then belonged to Bush. It was no surprise that four years of incompetence followed, and the country was driven into the ground. Four years ago, a hapless Kerry ran an inept campaign, and Bush was given the opportunity to continue to drive the country into the ground. Why anybody would want to continue that trajectory of the country is totally beyond me.

+1

Chris

Masochism

Democrats in control of the congress......democrats in control of the senate.....democrats in control of the white house.

Yeah, that sounds like a good plan for the future of our country......

WTF????

it's a bit like asking to get punched. nothing against Obama, but more that the dems are in charge of the house and senate.

one thing i am glad about. now i won't have to sit and listen to everyone bitch anymore, because their messiah has come.

the scary thing is that some people have looked forward to this as more important to them, moreso than things like friends, family or their religion. People are expecting a lot, when really they need to look at their own lives and wonder why they are asking a politician to fulfill all the things they are missing in their lives. It's not like everyone is helpless to make positive changes in your own lives. Maybe they should try to figure out why their own fulfillment and happiness is something they can't handle on their own.

You should be gaining most of your worth in your life from your family and friends and religion. Not from your government.

again, nothing against Obama, I just hope he decides to serve the masses and not all the special interests that raised all his cash, or the radical left.

I suppose they are already trying to figure out how to spike a couple of supreme court judges meals in order to speed up that 'replacement' process.

Edited by regfootball

I should have been in bed over an hour ago... but y'all know how it is.

I'm a happy man tonight, and not because the President finally looks more like me.

Since this country has been in decline for the past 8 years, a new direction is just what we needed. It may swing another direction in a few years, but that's the nature of politics and how the machine operates.

But for now... we can at least begin to pull ourselves out.

I should have been in bed over an hour ago... but y'all know how it is.

I'm a happy man tonight, and not because the President finally looks more like me.

Since this country has been in decline for the past 8 years, a new direction is just what we needed. It may swing another direction in a few years, but that's the nature of politics and how the machine operates.

But for now... we can at least begin to pull ourselves out.

I don't think he looks purple, that is you in the avatar isn't it? :neenerneener:

Gore as president would have been an unmitigated disaster. As bad as Bush was, there is no end to the damage that would have occured with internet Al in office.

I don't think he looks purple, that is you in the avatar isn't it? :neenerneener:

First off, that's Chicago maroon. :P

Second, my picture's in the thread dedicated to them.

Third, I knew you were messin around... why am I responding seriously? :lol:

Democrats in control of the congress......democrats in control of the senate.....democrats in control of the white house.

Yeah, that sounds like a good plan for the future of our country......

WTF????

The O.C. composes a new song:

"I left my heart...in Orange County."

Amazing that someone with no experience, no accomplishments, a racist mindset and a laundry list of subversives & radicals could actually swing this.

Thousands of empty-headed idiots out there waving their arms to the rock star, the Messiah, to save them, to give them something they haven't earned and break the back of this country. You libs wanted "change", get ready to pay for it, and in more ways that one. Me, I'm switching to Financial Self-Preservation Mode starting tomorrow, and I recommend you all do the same.

As I may have posted before, I was happy with neither party's candidate. Unbelievable that this is the best our country could offer.

I thought the speech had too much focus on the "look where we've come" factor. Instead, he could have neutralized it by talking about opportunity for and contributions by ALL. Since this is a touchy issue, it should have been downplayed. His plate ought to be full with the economy, international conditons and environmental concerns. Race issues take a back seat, BIG TIME, to all of the above.

The outcome was a non-event in my mind. It was to be expected. I was actually expecting a 54% or 53% popular vote, but it was closer than that. That surprised me.

Interesting posts.... I assume ya'll voted.

Yes, I voted.

But, I waited. Shouldn't we have "express lines" for those of us who vote in EVERY election, regardless of the candidates, the issues, the "importance"? That was the sentiment of a few of us as we waited in the lines this evening. Heck, I waited 3 times as long as I normally do to vote. That's great, of course, but why should those of us who vote in EVERY election wait for those who do not?

Yes, I agree with the media's "historic" characterization of this election.

But, aren't ALL elections historic? Listening to the reports over the last few days, you'd think that this was the ONLY election that has EVER mattered ... that this is the only election that should appear in history books.

AND

...I'm still waiting for ANY political candidate to address the SINGLE population of the United States; all they talk about is helping "families" ... NOTHING whatsoever relevant to me.

...Since politicians are so big on "Minimum Wage" (the lowest hourly amount companies must pay employees), let's hear discussion about a MINIMUM VACATION (the days of vacation companies must at least allot to employees), too!

...Wouldn't it be nice if the politicians' power to raise campaign funds would translate into efforts to raise money for non-profit organizations and those in need?

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ... & I approve this post

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I'm sick & tired of being politically correct" ... John Mellencamp ... 'Peaceful World'

piggybacking on what bob said, i find it humorous, some states have measures on the ballot to get rid of affirmative action. actually, i'd welcome that in my industry for public building projects. we don't need 'faux corporations, minority run' just to give them an advantage, it limits the selection of the best available to do the work.

Yes, I voted.

But, I waited. Shouldn't we have "express lines" for those of us who vote in EVERY election, regardless of the candidates, the issues, the "importance"? That was the sentiment of a few of us as we waited in the lines this evening. Heck, I waited 3 times as long as I normally do to vote. That's great, of course, but why should those of us who vote in EVERY election wait for those who do not?

But, aren't ALL elections historic? Listening to the reports over the last few days, you'd think that this was the ONLY election that has EVER mattered ... that this is the only election that should appear in history books.

AND

...I'm still waiting for ANY political candidate to address the SINGLE population of the United States; all they talk about is helping "families" ... NOTHING whatsoever relevant to me.

...Since politicians are so big on "Minimum Wage" (the lowest hourly amount companies must pay employees), let's hear discussion about a MINIMUM VACATION (the days of vacation companies must at least allot to employees), too!

...Wouldn't it be nice if the politicians' power to raise campaign funds would translate into efforts to raise money for non-profit organizations and those in need?

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ... & I approve this post

"I'm sick & tired of being politically correct" ... John Mellencamp ... 'Peaceful World'

big X2 on your AND points.

piggybacking on what bob said, i find it humorous, some states have measures on the ballot to get rid of affirmative action. actually, i'd welcome that in my industry for public building projects. we don't need 'faux corporations, minority run' just to give them an advantage, it limits the selection of the best available to do the work.

Yes, it's contrary to our collective deeply ingrained work ethic and concept of "meritocracy."

Yes, I voted.

AND

its funny, but 2 years ago when the dow was at 14k and people's housing values were at 10% add each year, and all that, i wonder if all the people that are so venomous today against the last couple years would be as venomous if the economy was still pumping on 8 cylinders like it was. how quickly we seem to forget. did the democratic congress cause the crash?

oddly enough, the popular vote is a lot closer than i thought it would be.....currently 51/48. that to me does not suggest MANDATE as some would have you think.

I dunno...President Numbnuts said he had a mandate in 2004 with a 3 mil vote win.

Barack currently has a 4 mil vote lead.

I Voted for Burr just because neither deserved a vote.

All I can hope for is that Barry can hopefully start to bring our troops back in a safe manner. The house crunch to stop. Credit Crunch comes to an end and that that or economy turns around so we can all afford to buy Camaros and G8 ST's so what we as a community come together and discuss can be thriving.

However everyone seemed to ignore that issue like it was aids. So when Tax dollars are wasted on govt. programs instead of paying our debt don't complain. When the end of his term comes and his approval rating drops don't try to disown him.(Its statistically guaranteed that his approval rating will be lower than what his initial rating will be)

Not necessarily..there was nothing historic about 2004, for example. Several elements of this election were history--first mixed-race candidate, 2nd woman VP candidate (the media seemed to forget about Gerry Ferraro), oldest first-term candidate, first candidate of Obama's generation (late boomer).

AND

Well, that's the way it is, I'm afraid. I'm single, there aren't any single-specific issues politicians brought up that I can think of that would be relevant to me.. I'd like to deduct my dogs as dependents, but that's not going to happen. After all, why should those who choose to drop brats be able to deduct them? My terriers are as relevant to my life as their little ankle biters are to them.

Minimum vacation would be nice..I'd like to see European-style 6 weeks. Every salaried job I've had this decade has started at 3 weeks (one went to 4 weeks after I had been there 4 years). One of things about being a contractor is no paid vacation, so I try and take off a month or so a year between contracts...

as an architect, you can imagine what it would be like to have to do CA on school jobs in which the 'minority contractor' (with no construction experience) would be.

Like wanting to reach for a razor blade and rolling up your sleeves?

Yes, it's contrary to our collective deeply ingrained work ethic and concept of "meritocracy."

If you'd like to experience some truly screwed up sh*t where merit plays no part in the matter, try joining any branch of our armed forces. Then report back. It might curl your toes.

If anyone doesn't find the thought of a democratic congress, senate, and white house a little bit scary.....then they are hiding behind a HUGE rock....

Bothers the hell out of me... but it also bothers me (almost equally as much) that there would be a partisan majority in the Supreme Court (NO LEGISLATION FROM THE BENCH PLZ) under a McCain administration (he only needed to appoint one Supreme Court justice to make it so).

God I'm glad I don't have to deal with this in any meaningful manner.

Regardless congrats to Obama, he truly earned this and I eagerly wait to see what he'll actually accomplish... until I see action it's all talk.

Congrats to Obama. Maybe something can now be done about the funk this country is in. The Bush administration doesnt seem to care and I didnt get the feeling McCain would have either. The people have spoken. They are sick of what the Republicans have done to this country.

Well, that's the way it is, I'm afraid. I'm single, there aren't any single-specific issues politicians brought up that I can think of that would be relevant to me.. I'd like to deduct my dogs as dependents, but that's not going to happen. After all, why should those who choose to drop brats be able to deduct them? My terriers are as relevant to my life as their little ankle biters are to them.

Pets don't grow up to contribute to society, pay taxes, etc.

Well, we fought the good fight. McCain did a damn fine job giving that every single card was stacked against the Republicans this time around.

I hope Obama has the foresight to not implement all the silly economic ideas that he has as they will make our recession worse... if he must implement them he should slowly stagger their implementation and wait out our current recession.

That being said, i still hold out some hope that perhaps he truly will act in a bi-partisan fashion... but its getting harder to delude myself of this notion. I also hope that he respects the Constitution and does not disregard the document that our country was built on and does not eliminate the rule of law so central to our countries greatness. No man is greater than another under the eyes of the law... as of today... hopefully it stays like that.

Oh well,

Congrats to Obama and all his supporters.

Here's to a reformed libertarianesque Republican party for 2012!

Edited by Teh Ricer Civic!

Pets don't grow up to contribute to society, pay taxes, etc.

Nor do they rob liquor stores, knock up the neighbor's daughter and live in the basement until they are 35. <_<

If you'd like to experience some truly screwed up sh*t where merit plays no part in the matter, try joining any branch of our armed forces. Then report back. It might curl your toes.

I've seen other examples of it in my work life, but I get the drift.