Alcohol!!!

Satty

The funny thing about PBR--it's sort of become a trendy hipster beer in recent years... a couple years ago, I used to do happy hour all the time at a Mc Cormick & Schmicks (upscale seafood restaurant) in a trendy office park, and they had PBR in cans! I remember drinking those and eating tasty calamari and oysters.

Phoenix has a few decent microbreweries (Four Peaks, Sonoran) but I miss all the brewpubs of Denver...there is a ton of great beer brewed in the Centennial State..

Agreed.

Our bar is in the middle of the arts district that we live in. A lot of people with a lot of money frequent the place and the neighborhood (especially on gallery crawl and concert nights) But two of our biggest sellers are: $1.00 PBR on tap and $3.00 PBR tallboys.

It's especially bad up in the mountains where I was raised. A friend of mine delivers beer for one of the big distributors up there and he said that PBR is one of (if not the) biggest seller. On a funny related note, he drove the truck with the PBR ad painted on the trailer and he used to always complain about college kids and rednecks coming up to him asking for free PBR. :smilewide:

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patron isn't worth the extra money. Regular 'ol Cuervo is the best.

Fail.

Patron is good, but it is usually among the cheapest I will go with tequilas...Granted, I can usually find it fairly inexpensive.

Milagro select barrel reserve anejo on the other hand...Fantastic.

FOG, straight tequila is the greatest thing ever in the history of the world. No salt, no lime, just me and the booze. I haven't had tequila in a long time though, I tend to be the DD, so downing Jose seems like a bad idea.

As long as you aren't above .08 you're good to go.

At my house right now, I have a bottle of Captain Morgan, a bottle of Belvedere, a bottle of Preludio (Argentine wine), and some assorted Bud Lights and Coors Lights left over from other weekends. I pretty much drink anything as far as beer is concerned...light or dark. My favorite dark is Guiness. I'm also a fan of Hornsby's apple cider, and I'm cool with both white and red wine. And yes, LONG ISLANDS ROCK!

wow, for a minute there, the first part of your sentence, i thought you had moved to wisconsin.

but there was nothing in your post about drunken vagrancy and indecent exposure in public and that, and then you said 'cider' and 'red wine'. Whew. that was a close one!

Alright alcoholics, booze hounds, bums, winos and frat boys, we need an alcohol thread, it just seems like the perfect compliment to our sex thread. I'll start: The $3 bottles of wine they sell at Wal-Mart suck majorly. So whats your drink of choice? What do you avoid like the plague?

I was a beer and wine fan.

Sometimes I will still have a nice glass of red wine.....usually when out to dinner.

But recently, I've been into tequila. I'm not talking about doing shots......I'm talking about sipping it out of a snifter or something like that. No chaser. No lime.

It kinda worries me because, I can go home after work, and drink it all night long while I'm reading car mags or doing whatever....and I get a pretty good buzz.....but don't get "drunk" from it......and I go to sleep and wake up in the morning with absolutely no hint of a hangover.....in fact, I usually wake up quite bright-eyed and bushy-tailed......and having felt like I had a good sleep....

Could I really have built up THAT good of a tolerance for it...? I still get a really nice buzz off it.....but no hangover!

I've always had a love affair with Smirnoff Ice Triple Black. I could never get enough of those. After a dozen or so, I'm usually pretty lively. :P

Otherwise, I like the hard stuff and hate beer with a passion. I have to be far gone before I'll touch beer. Tequila is fun, though, I haven't had any since I had that Mexican exchange student 5 years ago. Rum, Vodka, and Whiskey are all pretty interesting in their own ways, mixed or not. White Russians are good as well as random other mixed drinks. I usually just mix whatever I have around.

I don't drink very often these days. My current rate is about once or twice a year.

Edited by blackviper8891

I like a glass of wine with food once in awhile. Wine seems to go very well with italian food for some reason.

Corona or beer from a microbrewery is usually pretty good...but I drink about 4 times a year, maybe less.

Chris

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't consider myself to be an alcohol snob, but when I walk up to the bar and ask for a martini and the bar tender replies, "What kind of vodka do you want?", I just want to drown him in the bar nuts.

I don't do very many drinks, but I make a stunningly good martini. It always gets compliments and even my partner's very Italian father who knows a thing or two about good alcohol said on father's day, "That was the best martini I've ever had!".

A martini isn't.... or shouldn't be... very challenging to make, but to find someone who makes a good or excellent one appears to be difficult.

I don't consider myself to be an alcohol snob, but when I walk up to the bar and ask for a martini and the bar tender replies, "What kind of vodka do you want?", I just want to drown him in the bar nuts.

Why? If you don't specify, you're getting Popov. That's how it works.

Why? If you don't specify, you're getting Popov. That's how it works.

Because a martini... a proper martini ....is made with gin and not vodka. A martini is gin, vermouth, and if ordering dirty, olive juice. Anything after that is a modification and should then be specified in the order. If I ordered a vodka martini, only then would his return question be applicable.

Furthermore (since James Bond wandered in here). The reason you stir a martini and not shake it is so that you don't bruise the ice. By asking for his martini "Shaken, not stirred" what James is doing is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it.

to me a good Martini starts with Bombay Sapphire

My perfect recipe.

4 shots Tanqueray 10 gin, 1/2 shot dry vermouth, 1/2 shot olive juice, in that order poured over ice. Gently stir with a glass stirrer or the handle end of a icetea spoon. Strain into chilled cocktail glasses. Garnish with olives.

Serves 2.

Because a martini... a proper martini ....is made with gin and not vodka. A martini is gin, vermouth, and if ordering dirty, olive juice. Anything after that is a modification and should then be specified in the order. If I ordered a vodka martini, only then would his return question be applicable.

Furthermore (since James Bond wandered in here). The reason you stir a martini and not shake it is so that you don't bruise the ice. By asking for his martini "Shaken, not stirred" what James is doing is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it.

I think it's reasonable for a bartender to ask "Vodka or Gin?" ...but I definitely agree that assuming vodka is bogus. You won't get me in agreement that a "proper" martini is gin because a vodka martini is just a type of martini...not an "improper" one. An "improper" martini would be something being called a martini just because it's in a cocktail glass.

Only time I ever drank was when I went to Europe last Summer. Drank quite a few beers (not in one sitting of course) but never really developed a taste for the stuff. I was rather proud that I got to drink from the highest beer tap in the world (on top of Mount Pilatus).

Beer is the way to go if you want to look like a fat midwestern drunk or that dude in college who joined a frat to drink and never stopped, going from slim to morbidly obese in just 3 years. Broaden your horizons with some hard A. Be warne: SoCo sneaks up on you, though tastes very good.

Edited by Croc

I think it's reasonable for a bartender to ask "Vodka or Gin?" ...but I definitely agree that assuming vodka is bogus. You won't get me in agreement that a "proper" martini is gin because a vodka martini is just a type of martini...not an "improper" one. An "improper" martini would be something being called a martini just because it's in a cocktail glass.

"Vodka or Gin?" would be valid simply because of the prevalence of people ordering vodka martini's these days.

How about this? A martini using gin and dry vermouth is the "default". After that, changes or additions should be specified.

"Vodka or Gin?" would be valid simply because of the prevalence of people ordering vodka martini's these days.

How about this? A martini using gin and dry vermouth is the "default". After that, changes or additions should be specified.

I wouldn't get caught up in rules and procedures like that to lose focus of what makes sense in a given situation--in a club with lots of drunk girls who think they're hotter than they are, I would be floored if a single gin martini were ordered in a given night--that clientele prefers vodka and generally hates gin.

Plus, whether you're drinking vodka or gin, you should always specify what vodka or gin you want when initially ordering or you will get $h! to drink. This also gets you what you want and avoids the ambiguity.

Edited by Croc

I wouldn't get caught up in rules and procedures like that to lose focus of what makes sense in a given situation--in a club with lots of drunk girls who think they're hotter than they are.

How often would you think I would be in that situation?

But again, to assume vodka out of the gate is what gets me. "Vodka or Gin?" or "Which kind of Gin?" are acceptable.

How often would you think I would be in that situation?

I don't make assumptions about people. For all I know, your best friends are all clubbing/shopping hags, or maybe you've never been to a club in your life. I don't know, and I don't really care. But there most certainly are certain situations when I'd assume vodka (if I were a bartender) versus otherwise. Because it just would make sense to do so.

Beer is the way to go if you want to look like a fat midwestern drunk or that dude in college who joined a frat to drink and never stopped, going from slim to morbidly obese in just 3 years. Broaden your horizons with some hard A. Be warne: SoCo sneaks up on you, though tastes very good.

I did try other drinks while I was over there - White Russian (which I liked), Long Island, tequila, Jäger, but nothing that really tickled my fancy. I'm not a drinker, and I don't foresee me doing any drinking in the near future. Partly because I'm still underage and I'm a goody-two-shoes, and partly because alcohol is expensive and I'm stingy.

Alcohol is inexpensive, but can become expensive if you don't know what you're doing.

I really would recommend not being a goody-goody because by the time you turn 21 and are discovering it with virgin eyes...everyone else did that at least 3-4 years ago. That will have negative social repercussions, just trust me on this. Past the age of 21, no one likes hanging with an annoying drunk who can't hold liquor.

My drink of choice is a long islander, but good ones are sooooooo rare. I actually use those as my measure of how good a bar is.

I tried 2 Sam Adams and a Heineken on three separate occasions. probably had all of 2 sips of each. Beer is disgusting. If I want to drink carbonated piss I'll piss in some soda water.

I have only done a lot of drinking once, where after I turned 21, my cousin, who enjoys making various drinks, had me try all kinda of creations and shots. I would say I tried about 15 different things ranging from Whiskey to something called Chocolate Cake. I didn't really even get a buzz before I decided I had enough. That was the most I ever had.

I prefer "sissy" drinks or whatever they're called. Ones that are fruity or whatever, and that aren't that strong. I want to like a drink right off the bat, not have to get used to it. Drinks like daiquiris, pina coladas, kahula, and such. I've tried red whine and didn't really care for it, although it's great for cooking. I'm willing to try any drink though.

Croc: agreed on the 21 thing.

If one thing can be blamed for the culture of binge drinking among young people in this country, it's the current drinking age. At 18, we're considered capable of voting, enlisting in the military, owning firearms, etc. Virtually every right of adulthood comes at 18...except for the right to drink. What message does that send? The right to drink is built up to the point where people drink themselves to death on their 21st birthdays. The only alcohol-related education anyone in this country receives before turning 21 relates to abstinence. It's ridiculous. Meanwhile, the government has every state by the balls in regards to their choice to lower the drinking age.