Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Alcohol!!!

Satty

Croc - I know what a long island ice tea is, but what is a long islander?

Same thing. The only real variation I've ever seen, and not too commonplace at that, is a Long Beach (iced tea), where 7up substitutes the cola and cran or raspberry syrup is added. CPK calls their Long Beach a "Beverly Hills Iced Tea"--why, I do not know.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

enjoyed the hell out of cheap sutter home cabernet at a wedding this weekend. not sure how many bottles i scarfed down but 8 ibuprofens to make it go away leads me to think it was a good night. mixed with some cheap wedding keg beer too. now that really is carbonated piss.

good beer is worth it. and then there is Bud, etc.

canadian beers are good.

generally though these days i stick to wine, or canadian whiskey / coke zero, or long island teas with diet coke.

even light beer ends up being too many calories for the buzz you get.

Croc: agreed on the 21 thing.

If one thing can be blamed for the culture of binge drinking among young people in this country, it's the current drinking age. At 18, we're considered capable of voting, enlisting in the military, owning firearms, etc. Virtually every right of adulthood comes at 18...except for the right to drink. What message does that send? The right to drink is built up to the point where people drink themselves to death on their 21st birthdays. The only alcohol-related education anyone in this country receives before turning 21 relates to abstinence. It's ridiculous. Meanwhile, the government has every state by the balls in regards to their choice to lower the drinking age.

x2

where i grew up the reasons they raised the drinking age to 21 was so legals wouldnt buy for their HS friends, and so teen drunks wouldnt drive and kill or get killed quite as much. imagine teen drunks with cell phones.

i think if the drinking age and driving age were both 18 (learners permit at 17) you could use a coordinated approach to education and enforcement.

myself, i would like to see the drinking age at 19. i dont want high school seniors out binging at bars, and i dont want them buying for HS friends.

i had my learners permit at 14 and i think my license as well at late 14 or 15. But dad made sure i didn't drink when i lived under his roof.

when i got to college i definitely caught up. lotsa binging. looks kinda silly now but its all part of it. me and buddy used to travel light with our drinks. we would each buy 2 20 oz cokes and dump out some of each and replace it in the bottle with everclear. needless to say, it would last us all night, and we werent spending big money on beer or pissing a lot. and it definitely made you a little bit toasted.

Edited by regfootball

My parents allowed me to drink as long as they made me the drinks. They'd use the nasty, dusty on the bottom shelf liquor that they didn't even like themselves. I had a few over the years because I thought it was "cool" but generally the drink was so foul I couldn't stand the taste of it. As as result, drinking never was a big deal for me. It wasn't until I discovered the good stuff that I started to have a drink with dinner occasionally.

I do like the european tradition of a digestif after a large meal. My friend's parents in Germany started me on that when they served me a homemade pear schnapps after a particularly large meal. Talk about good!

The main reason why the drinking age is 21 in America is because the Federal Government told the states that if they didn't raise it to 21 they would not get any highway money.

...and the main, main reason is because fringe groups like MADD and other neo-prohibitionists took advantage of the conservative, "family values" climate of the Reagan administration.

I really would recommend not being a goody-goody because by the time you turn 21 and are discovering it with virgin eyes...everyone else did that at least 3-4 years ago. That will have negative social repercussions, just trust me on this.

I'd have to agree, given that I don't really drink and I've often gone home early because I feel like a total buzzkill to those that are. It gets kinda upsetting. :P

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...