Just had a thought

Camino LS6

Considering the economic realities of the day, What would you guys think of this plan:

1) My wagon is nearly complete mechanically, and I had intended to do The Mothertruck ('88 crew cab 4x4) next.

2) The Mothertruck has a brand-new 4-bolt main GM engine with only 2 miles on it currently installed and needs mostly paint and bodywork to finish it.

3) I have been planning to use a new Ramjet 350 crate engine in my Camino, but that would cost me as much or more than finishing the entire truck would - in addition to the rest of the restoration the Camino will be getting.

So, I am thinking that maybe I should just use the EFI 350 from the truck in the Camino and sell the truck as is as a project (I have loads of new GM parts for it including factory bedsides). Using the truck engine would require a custom wiring harness and computer in the Camino, but could save me thousands overall.

I haven't fleshed this out completely, but there are major pluses to the idea that will save both time and money. It won't make the kind of power that a Ramjet would, but that could be a relatively easy upgrade later on if I choose to go that route. And, It would allow me to start the work on the Camino immediately while making room in the barn at the same time.

I hate to not finish the truck, but times are tough.

Thoughts?

It all depends on what you want in the end. If you're planning on keeping the El Camino after you restore it, build it exactly how you want it, try to subsidize it by selling the Mothertruck. If you're planning on flipping it, build it to maximize profit.

It all depends on what you want in the end. If you're planning on keeping the El Camino after you restore it, build it exactly how you want it, try to subsidize it by selling the Mothertruck. If you're planning on flipping it, build it to maximize profit.

True.

I want the Camino to stay around for a while after I restore it, but it will eventually be sold so I can move on to another project.

Makes it hard to judge, I know.

I have a ton of money in Mothertruck, and I might do better financially by selling-off everything but the engine. But I hate to not finish it.

Tough call for me.

How about this recipe?

1) Take the EFI 350 from the Mothertruck and drop it in the Camino

2) Get a Duramax, or some other GM diesel, and drop it in the Mothertruck.

3) Fix the Camino up as intended.

4) Fix the Mothertruck up as a "decent driver"

5) Sell the Silverado and use the Mothertruck as your workhorse.

How about this recipe?

1) Take the EFI 350 from the Mothertruck and drop it in the Camino

2) Get a Duramax, or some other GM diesel, and drop it in the Mothertruck.

3) Fix the Camino up as intended.

4) Fix the Mothertruck up as a "decent driver"

5) Sell the Silverado and use the Mothertruck as your workhorse.

shnazzy idea

1.) Use the already paid for and easily transferable

350 crate from the Mothertruck in the 'Camino.

2.) Do NOT sell the Mothertruck project, it's to cool

to sell, esp. for the chump change you'd get these

days with the soft economy and anti-truck political

climate that still exists due to the recent & possibly

repeatable $4.59/gallon ga$.

You might have a tough time selling the truck as a project unless you already have a buyer lined up since one-ton Chevys aren't exactly rare. What would probably make you the most money would be to sell off the truck in pieces since the one-ton running gear is always in demand with four wheelers.

Then again, what are your plans with the wagon? Are you going to keep it or sell it? Why not wait and see what the wagon fetches before making a decision?

+1

Chris

Actually I think if the 'camino came out as nice as I think the wagon will...I would keep the Camino, and finish the mother truck as time permits.

I still dream about cars I've sold, even though I had "good" reasons for selling them. Waking up in a cold sweat because you miss a car sucks. The Camino is a keeper methinks...but that is just me.

Chris

Since you're running out of weather, I would keep the truck and finish it, then sell it. Same with the wagon. I wouldn't start the Camino until you have the funding for it.

The option I haven't heard is assembling the Jag to make it a more saleable project which gets you cash and clears barn space. Putting labor into the Jag would help get rid of it without parting with the other projects.

Assemble Jag -> sale proceeds fund Wagon completion -> sale proceeds fund Mothertruck completion -> sale proceeds fund Camino

Is that rear window opening the same as the one on the regular cab? If so, they do repro the sliding rear window for the 73-87 pickups for about $150.

I wouldn't have the heart go get rid of the mothertruck. Having said that I'd get rid of the Camino because you plan on getting a G8 ST right? Do you want two of the same (odd but cool) body-style? It is up to you the wagon is sweet as well. I would keep them all. :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by gm4life

I wouldn't have the heart go get rid of the mothertruck. Having said that I'd get rid of the Camino because you plan on getting a G8 ST right? Do you want two of the same (odd but cool) body-style? It is up to you the wagon is sweet as well. I would keep them all. :AH-HA_wink:

I wouldn't mind 20 of that particular bodystyle. :AH-HA_wink:

I will build the Camino even if it is sold shortly afterward.

I'd love to keep everything, but I've accepted the reality that cars and trucks will always come and go in my life. I like way too many to ever really stick with what I have at any given moment.

Because you know the pain of not having a truck when one so prefers driving them, how about you finish the MotherTruck with a GMC Sierra frontend and sell it to a certian GM Truck fan at a real low price?? No? :neenerneener:

Seriously, if you finished the truck, what amount would you want to get for it? With the credit market the way it is, and my lack of funding for a brand new '09 or '10 GMC Sierra Crew Cab, I may consider buying used to replace the AURA lease and wouldn't rule out a good running vehicle.

Yeah, the window is the same, but I really dislike the sliding ones. Any loose debris in the bed ends up inside the cab.

Sort of like the sliding window on the Tundra driven by the owner of the company I work for. He didn't tie down a generator in the bed and it flew through the sliding rear window during a panic stop, causing considerable damage to the truck.

Toyota only charged him $1200 for the window...

Chris

I wouldn't mind 20 of that particular bodystyle. :AH-HA_wink:

I will build the Camino even if it is sold shortly afterward.

I'd love to keep everything, but I've accepted the reality that cars and trucks will always come and go in my life. I like way too many to ever really stick with what I have at any given moment.

I have a warm garage in Ohio with "El Camino" written all over it...HMMM...

Get the Camino done. Not promising anything but...I am in lust.

I know it's hard to think of keeping any vehicle but that El-Camino is just going to be kick butt.

Chris :iroc-dragster:

Because you know the pain of not having a truck when one so prefers driving them, how about you finish the MotherTruck with a GMC Sierra frontend and sell it to a certian GM Truck fan at a real low price?? No? :neenerneener:

Seriously, if you finished the truck, what amount would you want to get for it? With the credit market the way it is, and my lack of funding for a brand new '09 or '10 GMC Sierra Crew Cab, I may consider buying used to replace the AURA lease and wouldn't rule out a good running vehicle.

At this point, I'd guess that I have about 6 or 7k in the truck. I expect to have to sell it at a loss as is.

Finished, I might come closer to breaking even but still lose on the total.

Would you really want a 1 ton crew cab 4x4?

To replace an Aura?

I need to sell it , but that just seems a bit much for a DD, no?

I have a warm garage in Ohio with "El Camino" written all over it...HMMM...

Get the Camino done. Not promising anything but...I am in lust.

I know it's hard to think of keeping any vehicle but that El-Camino is just going to be kick butt.

Chris :iroc-dragster:

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

For a little dose of positive news, yesterday I finally got the last of the wagon's header leaks under control and today it got inspected and aligned.

Fully road-ready and legal now.

And

I'm about to go try to start the Mothertruck for the first time since I rescued it from the body shop. I changed the oil and filter earlier today, and have the battery on charge right now. I'll twist the key before I call it a night tonight.

Well it's good news, bad news time now.

Good news: Mothertruck turns over just fine

Bad news: it won't start

Good news: I know why

Bad news: I can't fix it tonight

The truck has dual tanks, and therefore, two fuel pumps. The problem is that one side has a bad fuel pump (I have a new one for it), and the other side has a leak in the line. So I can get it running one of two ways: replace the pump or fix the line.

Here's the problem:

To do either one, the bed has to be removed from the truck which takes about six people to do.

Bummer.

Does your Silverado have a winch? With a pulley and some chain, you can have that bed off in no time.

Nah, you have to lift it straight up to clear the tires, then slide it back. A Gantry crane would be ideal.

Nah, you have to lift it straight up, then slide it back. A Gantry crane would be ideal.

Yes, that would be perfect!

What I may do is hoist it up and roll the truck out from under it - I think there is enough room to do that.

But it will be close.

And I'm not sure how I'll be able to operate the hoist above the bed.

A not so ideal solution: Go through the bed. How hard could it be to put a massive hole in the bed in order to get to the fuel pumps? Hell, if you had a 25 year old Toyota truck, it would already have holes in the bed. See, yet another reason Toyota rules! :neenerneener::P

Is there enough slack for you to lower the tanks to do what you need to do? I'm not sure how the crew cab is, but my dad converted his '83 Silvy to TBI and used OEM style fuel pumps in the tanks. I know he didn't lift the bed off when he did it.

And I'm not sure how I'll be able to operate the hoist above the bed.

Climb up on the beams? That goes back to my winch suggestion, I know some boat trailer winches have wireless remotes, if anchored properly, one of those should be able to lift the bed. The strongest one we have listed has 3500lbs of pulling power.

Climb up on the beams? That goes back to my winch suggestion, I know some boat trailer winches have wireless remotes, if anchored properly, one of those should be able to lift the bed. The strongest one we have listed has 3500lbs of pulling power.

I wish!

The hoists I have are manual.

Is there enough slack for you to lower the tanks to do what you need to do? I'm not sure how the crew cab is, but my dad converted his '83 Silvy to TBI and used OEM style fuel pumps in the tanks. I know he didn't lift the bed off when he did it.

Not the way that the lines are routed.

It's easy with the bed off- but impossible with it on.