So I guess my topic was too much for the admins to handle?

This topic: http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...showtopic=26359 was closed at some point in my 3 day absence.

And I'm a little pissed off about it. I mean, if you're going to close my topic, that was WAAAAAY more civil than 99% of the political bullsh*t that went on around here the last 2 months, at least you could send me a message that provides a reason. Had I received a reason, I wouldn't be mad at all.

So, instead of taking care of this in private, I decided to air out my concerns in the lounge and allow people to maybe provide an explanation and/or comments as to why the thread was closed.

I'm willing to bet that maybe an anti-conservative admin read the title and didn't even read the post to see that the title was pure :bs: and that the discussion was for a reason. (This board is slanted in nature anyway)

And THAT, if it's true, is the kind of GUT REACTION that I wanted the topic to provoke in an attempt for me (and anyone else that is interested) to gain a better understanding of people and why they react the way they do.

P.S. Better get your comments in quick as I'm sure this topic is destined to be locked for no reason as well, if it offends the wrong people.

I'm no admin, but... the title of the thread was just in poor taste. Any casual observer would see that, and think the people around here are a bunch of racist assholes.

In that case, couldn't they have just requested FOG to edit the title? Or at least edit it themselves? Why close the entire thread based solely on a title?

In that case, couldn't they have just requested FOG to edit the title? Or at least edit it themselves? Why close the entire thread based solely on a title?

That's nothing when compared to Huffington Post where people complain ad nauseum re: Posts sitting in moderator limbo indefinitely.

For our little sorority here, it hardly merits notice.

Yet I defer to FOGGIE's peeved state.

I'm no admin, but... the title of the thread was just in poor taste. Any casual observer would see that, and think the people around here are a bunch of racist assholes.

Good thing the lounge isn't open to the public. (a.k.a I thought about that)

Not to stray into the topic but, that's pretty judgmental IMO. Like the topic said, had I voted for McCain under the circumstances, I wouldn't have done anything wrong by our societies standards. Just like people who voted for Obama based on race wouldn't have done anything wrong.

We're all adults here and we all know each other. Let's face it, only the regulars come into the lounge anyway.

Re: Dodgefan, I tried to message you to tell you that I did not vote and that the post was BS (I wasn't sure if you saw that or not) but your inbox was full.

I just think it's pretty sad that we're not viewed as mature enough to carry out a conversation such as this (especially after the non-stop b*tching about politics that occurred here not even 2 weeks ago, much of it perpetuated by admins themselves -- that caused a lot of hurt feelings) and then to top it off I'm not given an explanation as to why the topic was closed.

This is real life, folks... Many media outlets are claiming that racism is over.

It's characteristic of people to NOT be accepting of other peoples opinions and the topic in question was designed to (and did IMO) prove that. What the topic failed to do, because it was locked, is illustrate and educate people as to why the opinion or scenario wasn't accepted.

It's a simple experiment, nothing more, nothing less. I even explained the premises of the experiment and basically asked politely that if anyone wanted to participate, to keep it civil.

I could've been an ass and played it off like I actually *DID* what I described in the post. I mean, after all, what do I care? I'm probably never going to meet anyone here face to face, so full speed ahead. But I care about what you guys think of me, so I didn't do it that way.

Once again, I would be fine IF I had gotten a reason for the topic to be closed.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Good thing the lounge isn't open to the public. (a.k.a I thought about that)

This is real life, folks... Many media outlets are claiming that racism is over.

Once again, I would be fine IF I had gotten a reason for the topic to be closed.

Hollywood would definitely prod us further in thinking that.

Consider that Will Smith has rarely been paired with an 'actress of color' in his recent films. He's as high-profile as they come in filmdom and beloved by many millions of movie-goers.

I can't fathom his appeal since he's part of the Scientology cabal. That's the main turn-off as it concerns me.

I don't have an answer for you FOG, I didn't close it and I don't know why it was closed.

I would have preferred that you had PM'd me about it though - much as you would have preferred to have a reason given for closing your thread.

I think you know that I would have found out what happened.

To be honest, I found the experiment interesting. After reading it soon after it was posted, I didn't check in on it again. The next time I looked, it was closed.

I don't have an answer for you FOG, I didn't close it and I don't know why it was closed.

I would have preferred that you had PM'd me about it though - much as you would have preferred to have a reason given for closing your thread.

I think you know that I would have found out what happened.

To be honest, I found the experiment interesting. After reading it soon after it was posted, I didn't check in on it again. The next time I looked, it was closed.

I know Camino...

You and I go way back and you're a good friend to me. You do a great job for this place.

Hey FOG, I missed the part where you said you didn't vote so my bad...also if you feel like PMing me anyway I made some room in my inbox...I'm terrible at keeping it empty.

Not a problem man, you did exactly what I wanted and gave me a passionate yet civil response about how you feel. But like I said, I do care about what you guys think and I didn't want you to think badly of me. That's all.

Curious... by the way, FOG, what is the origin of that pic in your sig? I've wondered for a while..

It's a screenshot from the Megadeth video for the song

I thought it appropriate for the way I view the times. The burning flag represents the downfall of our country (through the financial crisis, the war, cynicism, etc) "For The People" represents the fact that the little people built the country that is falling. The man in the business suit represents the 'elite' (politicians and big business men) that have turned their back on us and in a sense are oblivious the fact that the country is falling. (Although, not so much now that the economic bubble has burst) And the baby represents future generations whose fate is in the hands of the greedy and naive business man/politician.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I think at least one admin has gone rogue.

I'm gonna vote for "Candidate-X" because I beleive

in his matra and I beleive in change & this country.

So I'm moving to D_ _ _ _ _ land to show just how

confident I am in his leadership.

I'm kidding. :P (mostly, somewhat...)

Also kind of funny, yes the thread might have started

with an UN-P.C. angle but the last 30% of the thread

was a silly game of ping-pong between Reg. & me

about my obsession with hardtops & our shared love

of Kate Winslet. Nothing offensive there.

...unless you DON'T like chubby/curvaceous chicks in

which case you can go $%@&* yourself cause you're

just plain &!$# wrong and I #*$% hate your guts. :AH-HA_wink:

If you guys elect me admin, I will bring to office my record of being a maverick on the topics. Going against the grain of the forum by starting such topics as "Toyota world's most respected company!" and "Honda sneaks up on Big Three". I will reach across the PC-lines and be an equal opportunity offender.

It's like you pull the pin out of the grenade, throw it into

your OWN foxhole as your buddies stare dumbfounded,

and run away screaming:

"I know what I'm doing, stay right where you are, I'll be

back in a couple years!"

:P I'm kidding Oldsmoboi, and for what its worth it was

last night when XP & I were talking that we decided that

if you're running away to Germany you should not have

a vote in an election that effects THIS country.

The one that you're leaving. :P

All joking aside, I wish I could take the B-59 on the

Autobahn, maintain a steady 100+ (she's done it) and

just stare over casually and wave at the stupefied kids

in their VW MkIV Golfs, BMW 320s and Opel Astras...

This topic: http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...showtopic=26359 was closed at some point in my 3 day absence.

And I'm a little pissed off about it. I mean, if you're going to close my topic, that was WAAAAAY more civil than 99% of the political bullsh*t that went on around here the last 2 months, at least you could send me a message that provides a reason. Had I received a reason, I wouldn't be mad at all.

So, instead of taking care of this in private, I decided to air out my concerns in the lounge and allow people to maybe provide an explanation and/or comments as to why the thread was closed.

I'm willing to bet that maybe an anti-conservative admin read the title and didn't even read the post to see that the title was pure :bs: and that the discussion was for a reason. (This board is slanted in nature anyway)

And THAT, if it's true, is the kind of GUT REACTION that I wanted the topic to provoke in an attempt for me (and anyone else that is interested) to gain a better understanding of people and why they react the way they do.

P.S. Better get your comments in quick as I'm sure this topic is destined to be locked for no reason as well, if it offends the wrong people.

Well, if you remember.....there was some (let's call it what it was) "McCain/Palin bashing" thread.......and long into it, after I decided to rant about my negative opinions of Obama....that thread was locked too.....needless to say....that was AFTER someone on that thread actually asked me to explain why I was against Obama....so I did....it went back-and-forth for a bit....then it was locked.

:scratchchin:

Keep in mind......I didn't bash anyone on C&G personally......didn't commit any posting "wrongs"......but simply became vocal about my opinions about Obama. (I guess there was a certain admin that couldn't handle it, and locked the thread)

I think for the most part, (some of, most of) the admins do a good job.

However, I think the real point of The Lounge is to allow us to discuss things in a private forum just as we would if we were all sitting around together. I think The Lounge ought to be allowed WAY more leeway before threads are locked (even more leeway than we have now.)

Again......if a particular individual doesn't like the topic of a certain thread, then by all means.....don't enter it....don't contribute to it....

If you guys elect me admin, I will bring to office my record of being a maverick on the topics. Going against the grain of the forum by starting such topics as "Toyota world's most respected company!" and "Honda sneaks up on Big Three". I will reach across the PC-lines and be an equal opportunity offender.

:lol:

FOG... just so you know... I've been off the board for the past week and had nothing to do with this. I also avoided the political threads for the most part and can count the number of times I posted in political topics on one hand...

Honestly, IMO about the topic that was locked... for anyone who intends to meaningfully participate in our election process - the research performed on any candidate should be more than skin deep.

What the black supporters did to you on campus was wrong and rather anti-Obama. It seems that racism played into this more-so on how you were discriminated against by black "Obama supporters" than you actually being racist yourself. Your consideration of voting for McCain was in retaliation of the 'racial' discrimination you experienced. The irony is that, although McCain is not racist, Obama being elected will help our country overcome racism... just in the same manner as Hillary or Palin could have assisted with sexism.

I'm gonna vote for "Candidate-X" because I beleive

in his matra and I beleive in change & this country.

So I'm moving to D_ _ _ _ _ land to show just how

confident I am in his leadership.

I'm kidding. :P (mostly, somewhat...)

IF this were the game "clue". You would have just lost. As you personally know, I always PM a member when I have to edit their post and with one exception, I've only closed my own threads or set them to autoclose at a specific time.

It's like you pull the pin out of the grenade, throw it into

your OWN foxhole as your buddies stare dumbfounded,

and run away screaming:

"I know what I'm doing, stay right where you are, I'll be

back in a couple years!"

:P I'm kidding Oldsmoboi, and for what its worth it was

last night when XP & I were talking that we decided that

if you're running away to Germany you should not have

a vote in an election that effects THIS country.

The one that you're leaving. :P

All joking aside, I wish I could take the B-59 on the

Autobahn, maintain a steady 100+ (she's done it) and

just stare over casually and wave at the stupefied kids

in their VW MkIV Golfs, BMW 320s and Opel Astras...

As you know, my plans to move to Germany started well before Obama was even a candidate. I have a once in a lifetime opportunity to go live in another country and explore the continent of Europe while I'm still young. Obama will make sure I have a country to come home to.

And yes... I fully intend to make you all jealous with the cars that I take out on the Autobahn.

And yes... I fully intend to make you all jealous with the cars that I take out on the Autobahn.

Yeah, as much as I love my PILLARLESS Mercedes I would

be very tempted by a CTS-estate if I lived in Germania. :)

Well, if you remember.....there was some (let's call it what it was) "McCain/Palin bashing" thread.......and long into it, after I decided to rant about my negative opinions of Obama....that thread was locked too.....needless to say....that was AFTER someone on that thread actually asked me to explain why I was against Obama....so I did....it went back-and-forth for a bit....then it was locked.

:scratchchin:

Keep in mind......I didn't bash anyone on C&G personally......didn't commit any posting "wrongs"......but simply became vocal about my opinions about Obama. (I guess there was a certain admin that couldn't handle it, and locked the thread)

I think for the most part, (some of, most of) the admins do a good job.

However, I think the real point of The Lounge is to allow us to discuss things in a private forum just as we would if we were all sitting around together. I think The Lounge ought to be allowed WAY more leeway before threads are locked (even more leeway than we have now.)

Again......if a particular individual doesn't like the topic of a certain thread, then by all means.....don't enter it....don't contribute to it....

:yes:

What the black supporters did to you on campus was wrong and rather anti-Obama. It seems that racism played into this more-so on how you were discriminated against by black "Obama supporters" than you actually being racist yourself. Your consideration of voting for McCain was in retaliation of the 'racial' discrimination you experienced. The irony is that, although McCain is not racist, Obama being elected will help our country overcome racism... just in the same manner as Hillary or Palin could have assisted with sexism.

True that. And that's where it gets really interesting (To me, at least)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Kudos to FOG for standing up what he believes in and not being afraid to put it out there.

The problem with all bulletin boards are they are full of opinion, and many people take their opinions too seriously to accept others' opinions. The thing is, the two cant exist without each other. Opinionated people who can't accept others are generally those who frequent bulletins boards, and the bulletins boards would not exist without people who are opinionated.

Nice to see this thread not being closed, and the questioning of authority to be discussed fairly.

Edited by K.C.

Kudos to FOG for standing up what he believes in and not being afraid to put it out there.

The problem with all bulletin boards are they are full of opinion, and many people take their opinions too seriously to accept others' opinions. The thing is, the two cant exist without each other. Opinionated people who can't accept others are generally those who frequent bulletins boards, and the bulletins boards would not exist without people who are opinionated.

Nice to see this thread not being closed, and the questioning of authority to be discussed fairly.

:yes:

Thanks for saying much of what I've been thinking.

And, it's good to see you back here KC!

On the subject of politics, everybody thinks their opinion is the only correct opinion.

I take issue with this, I'm sure other will too. The only people who are certain that their political views are absolute truth are people who are so insecure in their beliefs that they dont want to acknowledge other viewpoints.

I take issue with this, I'm sure other will too. The only people who are certain that their political views are absolute truth are people who are so insecure in their beliefs that they dont want to acknowledge other viewpoints.

politics aren't truth, unless they're perfectly legal/illegal. lol

politics aren't truth, unless they're perfectly legal/illegal. lol

However, in many cases facts are still facts. The amount of false information, incorrect logic, hypocritical accusations and flat out made up, fear mongering, bull$h! flying around here was/is amazing.

However, in many cases facts are still facts. The amount of false information, incorrect logic, hypocritical accusations and flat out made up, fear mongering, bull$h! flying around here was/is amazing.

Agreed.

Problem is, some people have the power to selectively

censor one thread/person/post and not another, it is

funny how some people can talk around a subject and

never answer the original question...

Thanks for saying much of what I've been thinking.

And, it's good to see you back here KC!

Thanks Camino. I'm feeling better. Has been a hard road to hoe, but I'm back in some sort of capacity. I also purposely avoided all the political bull$h!. Nothing good comes of those threads. There's been lots of negativity here and I needed to surround myself with positive things so I could help myself get better.

I agree with this for some people. Nobody is perfect, and there's always room for self improvement in all of us.

Thanks Camino. I'm feeling better. Has been a hard road to hoe, but I'm back in some sort of capacity. I also purposely avoided all the political bull$h!. Nothing good comes of those threads. There's been lots of negativity here and I needed to surround myself with positive things so I could help myself get better.

Great to see that you're back!