What would your second putt-around car be?

Ok, for a while, it will be my 92 Regal coupe. I'm now within 1,000 miles of 250k.

But, if I had to use the LaCrosse as the daily driver and wanted to get a back-up putt-around car, and no longer had the Regal, I'd consider the following (if I could find low mileage ones):

- 98 or 99 Intrigue, base, only with 3800 V6 and not the 3.5

- (just saw this) on my way to work in the AM, I pass up a non-GM dealership that has an early 2000s Grand Prix GT coupe in the metallic gold with the tan interior. I really like those.

- lastly, I thought about how nice the early 2000s Bonneville LE with some stock alloy wheels, NO spoiler, and the plump cloth bucket seats might be as a freeway cruiser/boulevardier...and really useful to cart people around comfortably or put a lot of stuff in the trunk.

What would your "extra" car(s) be?

Edited by trinacriabob

Used to be an '83 Firebird t-top with a crate 350, then

a '91 S10 Blazer 5-speed, '88 Blazer K5, '86 Cadillac

Fleetwood Brougham, two Datsun Maximas...

Now as of this moment I've got a few ideas:

- 1960s Pontiac hardtop of some sort

- '65-'69 Corvair, (any 2nd gen. hardtop)

- Another big, heavy, RWD, comfortable as a leather-sofa Cadillac

- 2wd fullsize GM pickup

Used to be an '83 Firebird t-top with a crate 350, then

a '91 S10 Blazer 5-speed, '88 Blazer K5, '86 Cadillac

Fleetwood Brougham, two Datsun Maximas...

Now as of this moment I've got a few ideas:

- 1960s Pontiac hardtop of some sort

- '65-'69 Corvair, (any 2nd gen. hardtop)

- Another big, heavy, RWD, comfortable as a leather-sofa Cadillac

- 2wd fullsize GM pickup

I like the truck idea...

I have all the cars I need but I will try this little exersise anyway. Moms Aveo is good as far as I am concerned for town driving which is 90% of my driving. I would just get a 2 year old one.

If I ever come across a '91-'96 Caprice wagon (loaded) with low mileage, I'd snap it up in a second. I still miss my ol' girl. :cry:

My current beater--- '84 Merc 500 SEL w/ 175k miles. Fun for running around town w/ the big sunroof open. Comfortable and solid.

mercslc1-vi.jpg

I was wondering why that was in the photo. It looks like AZ, or PS, CA, via the trees.

Hey, you and Irma Bunt can rendezvous for coffee!

I was wondering why that was in the photo. It looks like AZ, or PS, CA, via the trees.

Hey, you and Irma Bunt can rendezvous for coffee!

Phoenix.. parked in my sister's driveway. Since I'm renting her house while she's working in Ohio, I'm driving her Benzes..

Ok, for a while, it will be my 92 Regal coupe. I'm now within 1,000 miles of 250k.

But, if I had to use the LaCrosse as the daily driver and wanted to get a back-up putt-around car, and no longer had the Regal, I'd consider the following (if I could find low mileage ones):

- 98 or 99 Intrigue, base, only with 3800 V6 and not the 3.5

- (just saw this) on my way to work in the AM, I pass up a non-GM dealership that has an early 2000s Grand Prix GT coupe in the metallic gold with the tan interior. I really like those.

- lastly, I thought about how nice the early 2000s Bonneville LE with some stock wheels, NO spoiler, and the plump cloth bucket seats might be as a freeway cruiser/boulevardier...and really useful to cart people around comfortably or put a lot of stuff in the trunk.

What would your "extra" car(s) be?

I would really like an 00-02 Olds Intrigue with 60K or less. Throw on some better looking wheels, 235/55/17 and drop it just 1"

Thats the plan when the Cobalt lease is up.

I have driven all W-body cars and the Intrigue was easily the best

I have driven all W-body cars and the Intrigue was easily the best

Oh, believe me, I know. But when I was ready to purchase a new car, the Intrigue, and all of Olds was gone, so I went over to the LaCrosse.

Ten years after its birth (1998), I still always notice Intrigues. What a beautifully proportioned car!

I've had a couple of Cobalts as rentals and truthfully speaking they're great commuter cars. I'd actually consider a Delta vehicle based on my experiences from the Cobalts. The interior plastics are hard, but low maintenance. The interior also seems to hold up to the test of time because regardless of the miles on the rentals the interiors are always in really good condition.

So, maybe a Cobalt SS coupe? that would be fun.

Oh, believe me, I know. But when I was ready to purchase a new car, the Intrigue, and all of Olds was gone, so I went over to the LaCrosse.

Ten years after its birth (1998), I still always notice Intrigues. What a beautifully proportioned car!

The Intrigue is a nice, modern car. Wouldn't mind one as a backup/family type of car.

Chris

I could use a nice red first generation Miata to compliment the Jetta. Perhaps even a late model RB RX7 or an S13 240SX. The thought of a small sized, fun to drive weekend vehicle is quite appealing.

Looking at this from another angle, something on a slightly grander scale would be entertaining to pursue. Such as my existing Millenia, rejuvenated, or perhaps a touring/sports coupe of some sort. I always enjoyed the thought of an E36 coupe, Z32 300ZX, 4th/5th gen. Prelude, or even a 4th gen. V6 Firebird, though all fairly similar in size to my Jetta.

or even a 4th gen. V6 Firebird

Yes, always liked those, and if you keep all the tacky exterior attachments off of them, they're a little bit nicer than the Camaro of that same stretch of years...(pop up headlamps, nicer Pontiac dash, etc.)

Since my daily is a large truck, I'd not be against a zippier small car, say a '62-64 Lark 2-dr; leave the exterior as found and swap in an injected V-6 / OD trans. Something like this (tho it's paint is far too nice for me, the stance is spot-on) :

pics-med-14974-332153-studebaker-lark.jp

(other pics)

The greenhouse is pretty tall, but the body is a nicely-taut lil package...

Edited by balthazar

I could use a nice red first generation Miata to compliment the Jetta. Perhaps even a late model RB RX7 or an S13 240SX. The thought of a small sized, fun to drive weekend vehicle is quite appealing.

Looking at this from another angle, something on a slightly grander scale would be entertaining to pursue. Such as my existing Millenia, rejuvenated, or perhaps a touring/sports coupe of some sort. I always enjoyed the thought of an E36 coupe, Z32 300ZX, 4th/5th gen. Prelude, or even a 4th gen. V6 Firebird, though all fairly similar in size to my Jetta.

The second gen Miata is nice as well. Don't really like the 240 thing, but the Prelude is a fabulous drivers car if you don't mind FWD. Also, hell yes to the Firebird thing.

Chris

Since my daily is a large truck, I'd not be against a zippier small car, say a '62-64 Lark 2-dr; leave the exterior as found and swap in an injected V-6 / OD trans. Something like this (tho it's paint is far too nice for me, the stance is spot-on) :

pics-med-14974-332153-studebaker-lark.jp

(other pics)

The greenhouse is pretty tall, but the body is a nicely-taut lil package...

Nice looking Lark!

Chris