another one bites the dust...

MikeyMo84

well unfortunately the effect of GMs dire state has hit me personally now as my dealership is now closed after 52 years of business under the ownership of one of the most honest and respectful families ive ever met....looks like im out of a job for now but i should be fine as i have a back up plan :/

RIP Cerami Pontiac/GMC

BTW we will continue to sell off inventory for the next couple weeks so anyone near the northern new jersey area looking to get a great deal on anything we have in stock please feel free to hit me up

as of right now we have

08/09 acadias

08/09 G6

08 yukon/yukon xl/denali

07 sierra 2500

08/09 g5

08 solstice/GXP

09 vibes

09 envoy

we also have a used 07 buick enclave fully loaded as well as an 04 caddy cts 3.6

www.surfcerami.com

i have a feeling this is only the beginning of something drastic and major...start saving your money people and always have a back up plan

Edited by MikeyMo84

It's been going on for awhile. Today I drove by the site of a former long term Cadillac dealer and Long term Buick dealer here in Columbus. In both cases the dealerships are gone and the building has been torn down.

If the economy was in better shape I'd be headed north for the Solstice GXP.

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

Talk to me about the '04 CTS.

Yay, you're getting me a present!

Sorry to hear about your job Mikey, I'm treading on thin water myself since the state just slashed our budget midyear by millions (which is going to KILL my district--as we already are near the end of our paper supply and we can't get any other supplies like books, chalk, pens, etc.), and they're going to look to excess people, and since this is my tenure year, I could be an easy target.

Sorry to hear this, Mike.

For my part, I've essentially had the entire end of my season cancelled by financially wounded customers. One has even been laid-off at 62 and will have to sell her home - which even puts a hole in my springtime work as she had had plans to do quite a bit then.

Sorry to hear about your job Mikey, I'm treading on thin water myself since the state just slashed our budget midyear by millions (which is going to KILL my district--as we already are near the end of our paper supply and we can't get any other supplies like books, chalk, pens, etc.), and they're going to look to excess people, and since this is my tenure year, I could be an easy target.

I hope that's not the case, since you have a neat job. And, Mikey, I'm sorry to hear that. It always seems like the jobs/careers we don't like are steady and the jobs/careers we like aren't.

Many states (at least a dozen) were not able to balance their budgets this year, with California being the most imbalanced in this regard.

I hope this bad cycle shakes out. It will but, in the meantime, it really sucks.

Not to be political, but this is what scares me about our current situation. Every State and Local budget is so tight that they need to cut everywhere they can, including education. A lack of an educated population is just going to dig us in further with all of our national problems.

If worse comes to worse, there are good teaching jobs around here, although I doubt you'd want to leave Long Island.

Chris

It's a bitch out there, Mo. I wish you the best in implementing your backup plan.

My 18 year old daughter finished the last of her high school classes in Mid August, and still hasn't been able to find even a minumum wage job.

This is, by far, the very worst I've seen the economy in my lifetime.

Chris

Sorry to hear this, Mike.

For my part, I've essentially had the entire end of my season cancelled by financially wounded customers. One has even been laid-off at 62 and will have to sell her home - which even puts a hole in my springtime work as she had had plans to do quite a bit then.

The construction economy is just dead here in Columbus. I think I posted this before, so pardon me. Mike is one of our electrical inspectors we deal with on a regular basis. At the peak of the housing boom, he was inspecting about 30-35 new houses a week. When I talked to him the other day, he was going to inspect #6...for all of 2008.

Better hold on to that El-Camino, it may be the last GM vehicle we have in the C and G fleet and you probably call haul 4 or 5 posters in the bed as well as 3 in the cab. Quite the Recession/depression era joyride.

Chris

Not to be political, but this is what scares me about our current situation. Every State and Local budget is so tight that they need to cut everywhere they can, including education. A lack of an educated population is just going to dig us in further with all of our national problems.

If worse comes to worse, there are good teaching jobs around here, although I doubt you'd want to leave Long Island.

Chris

Well, that's just it. Other than the northeast, Italian is not a popular language to teach in secondary levels of education, so getting another job elsewhere isn't so easy. It's horrendous, and the community complains, yet the district hasn't increased the budget in 2 years. We're out of money. Our classes are larger this year. Thank God my chairperson ordered my books BEFORE they put a freeze on everything (in October). It's ridiculous, I spend over $500 out of pocket each year just in supplies to do my job, and now it's going to be much more. The kids are lucky, they are getting their books, but there are problems in all departments, like the art department not having paint at all this year, or the tech department not having lumber to do projects.

I hope that's not the case, since you have a neat job. And, Mikey, I'm sorry to hear that. It always seems like the jobs/careers we don't like are steady and the jobs/careers we like aren't.

Many states (at least a dozen) were not able to balance their budgets this year, with California being the most imbalanced in this regard.

I hope this bad cycle shakes out. It will but, in the meantime, it really sucks.

I love my job. I may work 6-7 days/week, I may stay late often, I may bitch about the kids, but I love it. I love my colleagues, I love people I work very close with, I've made some awesome friends, and I truly hate to leave. I mean, I'm hoping they'll look back on some of the great things I've done--it was only a few months ago I saved a girl's life :AH-HA_wink:

Be glad you still have a tech department and an art department. Along with sports, they have been cut from a number of schools in our suburbs.

Chris

Well, I'm hoping since I'm the only Italian teacher in the building, that'll let me stay. Also, they hired another Italian teacher last year, so she's lower on the totem pole. Still, if they like her more, they could weed me out. It boils down to politics and popularity. We'll see. I'll know by mid April if I get tenure.

I've worried lately about the health of our local B-P-G dealer, where my dad bought his new G6 last December, my brother bought a used Buick (traded in my old LeSabre) last August, and where our family gets all of our service done. The last few times the place was empty and there hasn't been a whole lot of cars on the lot, lost of G8 and SUVs but few G6 4drs or LaCrosse.

Apparently, the city has a $250 million budget shortfall going into '09, so it will be interesting to see if they start cutting projects and cutting employees and contractors. My contract was recently renewed thru March 31st '09, but I may run screaming sooner if I have to...

This is hurting all kinds of things. I was just at an annual engineering conference and when I went to the career fair, many of the automakers, domestic and import, weren't even there this year. The lines at all the automakers booths are usually some of the longest, but GM was turning all their potential employees and interns away. Ford was the only company with a line of interested parties. Too bad they can't even afford to find the talent that could help put them back on top...

Mikey,

Very sorry about your job. Very good that you have a backup plan. Many people don't....

GOOD LUCK to you.

And, sad to see another dealership going under. Quite a few these days :(.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...& now an uncle!

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"You better not try to stand in my way" ... J Paycheck ... 'Take This Job & Shove It'

Where I work is one of the few places that is doing well. I am actually on overtime and it will be busy at least until the end of the year. I guess electronic circuit boards do have their place in society. I dont take it for granted though. It was VERY bad back in 2001-2003 but we had different owners then. The current ones are VERY good at finding work for us.

Where I work is one of the few places that is doing well. I am actually on overtime and it will be busy at least until the end of the year. I guess electronic circuit boards do have their place in society. I dont take it for granted though. It was VERY bad back in 2001-2003 but we had different owners then. The current ones are VERY good at finding work for us.

At least that is good to hear....

This is getting just STUPID, and I mean STUPID. I picked up my second grade daughter, Christina from school this afternoon because she was sick. The Woman ahead of me picking up her son just had her other son laid off from a GM assembly plant that morning. Which might not have been so bad if her husband hadn't been laid off this afternoon.

There seems to be a financial bloodletting of biblical proportions coming in this country.

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

We'll see. I'll know by mid April if I get tenure.

Hey buddy, it doesn't get much better once you have tenure. I've been tenured in my school for three years now being an "elective subject" teacher (Cooperative Education and Business/Technology Education departments). Being tenured means that in order to get rid of you without "just cause" they have to show that the need for your program is no longer economically viable and that justifies your dismissal. Last year my school district cut all clubs down to one paid/stipend advisor (where there was two paid positions), and clubs that didn't have atleast 20 students and/or did not meet more than once a month were eliminated. Sports did take a cut too (although minimal), with many paid coach positions being eliminated (from 3-4 to 1-2). At our 2nd faculty meeting this past September the superintendent was nice enough to come for a questions session, and one teacher inquired if the cut stipend positions would likely come back next year. His response? "Not likely, as I have to cut $15 million more out of the budget by 2011". How nice of a message is that in the second week of a new school year? I was recently evaluated for the year and was told by my observer that he is also working for the superintendent observing teachers AND programs that he will be recommending eliminated at the end of this year (thank God my evaluation was near perfect; hopefully that will count towards something!). But you never know, especially when what I teach is not "necessary" for graduation (in the eyes of administrators throughout the state). I'll pray for us and any other teachers on C&G that we survive this year.

We can't expect buisiness to be profitable without educated workers. Which is why I don't buy into the mantra that all we need to do is cut taxes.

I'll gladly pay taxes so teachers can have a liveable salary.

Chris

The way we treat teachers and run schools in this country is abyssmal.

+1

I'm sure things have only gotten worse in the last 30 years since my folks retired from that world--my Mom was an elementary school teacher for 25 years, my Dad started off as a Jr. High Math teacher, then became a principal then was a superintendent for 20 years.

Maybe they should come up here. Teachers up here are paid like the UAW. Their benefits are second to none. I have a few friends who have been teaching for 15+ years and they make $65k a year - plus, with all their holidays, etc. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, with all the disrespect they get from the kids and the parents, I'm not sure I could handle being a teacher, even with 8 weeks off in the summer, 2 weeks in December and 2 weeks in March.

thanks for all the support guys...im sure ill be fine im really not worried for myself...its other people im worried about that have children to feed and bills to pay

as for the CTS its a sport red/beige leather...not sure what the miles or $$ is ill check next time i stop in

im gonna be ebay/craigslisting a lot of stuff in the coming days for them...anything worthwhile ill post the link in here

Keep us posted, dude. I got laid off back in February...it ain't any fun. I had another job lined up, not making quite as much $, and I am fine. Hopefully the economy turns around...

And thanks for posting the links!

Chris

Keep us posted, dude. I got laid off back in February...it ain't any fun.

I didn't know. But I'm glad you got something soon afterward. I think that, when the economy turns, people will be moving to jobs better aligned with their needs and desires. I'm hoping that's the case.

Edited by trinacriabob

My backup plan is to hit up every sperm/blood/tissue

donor bank in New England... twice a week.

Sorry about the job loss Mike and it is great to know you have a back up plan. Work hard on that one. Recession brings gloom but also a chance to make merry long term if you hang in there.

Chris

Except their own spending. Look at the Congress, they are asking executives to not to fly jets, yet their spending is way of and significantly more than the CEO's.

A good strong educational program means a strong, competent future for a country. Medical Services, Civil Engineering - infrastructure, and Teaching form backbone of a country, and none of them are doing fine currently. I think it is time to treat politicians abysmally.