Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The ultimate W-body Cutlass!

There is a used car dealer close to my home that is selling a 1992 Cutlass Supreme with a super rare HM-284 Getrag 5-speed (a 1991-92 option) mated to the 3.4L DOHC 24-valve V6. It even has the older-style wheels!

I went to the lot, but its not on the premises now, and I checked a few days ago, and still nothing.
This would so be my car (if I had the money now). :P

Posted Image
Posted Image

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.asp...23&adid=3361608

http://www.quincyshowroom.com/details.asp?carid=2341#7866

I'm not a fan of sedans, but I'd buy that in a minute!! The 3.4L DOHC loves the 5-speed, I have a friend w/ a 5-spd DOHC GP sedan and it flies. That's a rare Cutlass, I hope the buyer knows that.

Just like with the Datsun the rarity and wow factor would be enough for me to buy it. Cool.

Doesn't look like the previous owner gave a crap about its rarity... go figure... It would be a fun car to have but my favorite that I saw in a U-Pull-It yard was an 89-90 International Series Cutlass coupe with the 2.8/3.1 and the 5 Speed - That one has to be incredibly rare!! :) (Too bad it was gutted and in the junkyard!!)

• 2 months later...
that may be true about the 3.4 twin cam but the 3.5 shortstar in my moms intrigue is awsome and is close to 100k problem free miles with NOTHING replaced and maybe 1 fuel injector cleaning and a new air filter, were going to get it a tune up and new plugs andwires when it hits 100k so that it has another 100k of problem free miles

There is a used car dealer close to my home that is selling a 1992 Cutlass Supreme with a super rare HM-284 Getrag 5-speed (a 1991-92 option) mated to the 3.4L DOHC 24-valve V6. It even has the older-style wheels!

I went to the lot, but its not on the premises now, and I checked a few days ago, and still nothing.
This would so be my car (if I had the money now). :P

Wow, that is a rare one. '92 Internationals used those wheels, 93 switched over to the five-spokes. Color must be Quasar Blue, but it acually looks like Med. Cloisonne (my favorite W-Body Cutlass color, '95 exclusive) in the pic.

that may be true about the 3.4 twin cam but the 3.5 shortstar in my moms intrigue is awsome and is close to 100k problem free miles with NOTHING replaced and maybe 1 fuel injector cleaning and a new air filter, were going to get it a tune up and new plugs andwires when it hits 100k so that it has another 100k of problem free miles

[post="76920"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

yea, its too bad that was not around in mid 90's for the 2dr Supremes & convertables, how cool would that be with a 5 stick ?

Then they had to turn the Cutlass into a Malibu :blink: boy that was sperty !

twin cam was great idea that fell short in effort or something, these are the things GM didnt need to do and fail at in the early 90's.

ABS
Quad 4
Twin Cam
plastic manifold in 3800 SII
FWD only

success would have made the difference of day and night today

:unsure:

How much were they asking? Divide by 1.18 to get to American moolah. I don't know if I trust the 3.4 DOHC V6 of that era. A friend had it in a 1992 Grand Prix coupe and it was not particularly reliable. Fast...yes.

How much were they asking?  Divide by 1.18 to get to American moolah.

I don't know if I trust the 3.4 DOHC V6 of that era.  A friend had it in a 1992 Grand Prix coupe and it was not particularly reliable.  Fast...yes.

[post="77254"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I know several LQ1 (3.4 DOHC) owners w/ high mileage and relatively few problems to report- myself among them. The reliability was fine if the owner took a few extra simple steps in maintenance, such as replacing the timing belt every 60k as recommended, and watching the oil level. It wasn't quite the right engine for the masses, sadly, and it was allowed to die a quick quiet death. GM's redheaded step-engine...

The LQ1 was adapted from the 3.1 pushrod engine, and was not all it could be, unfortunately. Had it been developed further, it could have been a beast- high compression/premium fuel, variable induction, variable valve timing, etc. As it was in its final year, 1997, it produced 220hp and 220lbs-ft- very similar to the NA 3800's numbers w/ 10.5% less displacement. Hmmm...

• 2 weeks later...
Why weren't more of those produced? Was the getrag a weak transmission? I'd love to have a 5-spd anything, and when its in an unsuspecting daily driver like that its just neat. If I had the cash I'd swap a T5 into my grand marquis just because. The swap has been done a couple times already. Edited by nitroracer

• 1 year later...
That was interesting.. I remember that one. It had steering wheel controls. I hate when I see one with the buttons off the wheel.
As for 5 speeds:

This commercial has it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=spzvh2HE0h0

I thought they were neat with the heads up display too. They had those special seats too that were multi adjustable. Those wheels reminded me of the wheels from hot wheels. I thought it was cool when the coupes had them. Oldsmobile really put effort into the platforms they were given. I call it being creative on a budget.

I wish you could get it Ted.... I feel you on that one too.. Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

GM's DOHC effort never matched Toyota's smoothness, reliability or power. More importantly, GM customers liked the pushrod stuff just fine at a lower price.

Prior to the 1982 Supra only an odd assortment of ancient Italian cars had twin cam engines. Throughout the 80s Toyota introduced some cool DOHC engines. Anyone remember the Twin Cam Corolla GTS? Or the 7M-GTE?

Wierd that GM was doing mainstream DOHC engines back then and then later walked away from them, considering the competition went for them completely...

And I suppose you're going to tell me that the roads around your town are just teeming with 1984 J2000s right? Ha ha. GM's direct competitor to the Corolla during that time was pathetic. So pathetic that GM called in Toyota to show them how it's done. GM fans owe Toyota a great deal of thanks for helping to make their vehicles the decent machinery it is today. That's a fact Jack!

Oh yeah, and where are they now, Mr. Getacheck? Whoops, now I remember, they're all rusted back to earth.

Mr. Getacheck, what in the world are you talking about? It seems to me the Pontiac Vibe had the most warranty claims, as a percentage, of any GM-branded vehicle. Is that what you meant about "...GM called in Toyota to show them how it's done."? :huh:

Toyota showed GM (up close and personal with NUMMI) and the entire industrial world how to manufacture things at low cost and high quality under The Toyota Lean Production system. The Chevy (Corolla) Nova was a far better product quality-wise than anything GM built at the time. Toyota consistently lands itself at the top of quality surveys year after year (although the Big 3 are getting better too). No one denies they are the quality leader (for now).

I'm laughing because I see no Novas on the road anymore. I DO see old Cavaliers. I know replacement mechanical parts for Japanese cars are/were much more expensive than for domestics, a good reason to junk a Nova much earlier than a J-body. You couldn't buy a carburetor rebuild kit for the Nova, Sprint, etc., you had to get the whole carburetor... at a price that was more than the car was worth at the time, for example. I worked at a GM dealership parts department before going into the bodyshop.

The Toyota Lean Production system.

FYI, you got the name wrong. It's the Toyota Production System (TPS). It is meant to be a "lean" system, but lean is not in the name. ;) Also, today Toyota seems to be regularly ignoring many of the principles advocated by their own TPS. (production based on demand forecasts, overproduction)

Maybe that's true in your area. Do a quick search for all the 1985-1988 Novas and Cavaliers for sale in the entire country on Autotrader.com. You'll find 16 Novas and 18 Cavaliers. Amazing considering the Cavalier by far outsold the Nova during these years 1,485,046 to 471,147 (3:1 ratio!!!). I'll grant you this is not a scientific survey, but I'd be surprised if the actual registration numbers were much different.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresult...mp;keywordsfyc=

I'm laughing because I see no Novas on the road anymore. I DO see old Cavaliers. I know replacement mechanical parts for Japanese cars are/were much more expensive than for domestics, a good reason to junk a Nova much earlier than a J-body. You couldn't buy a carburetor rebuild kit for the Nova, Sprint, etc., you had to get the whole carburetor... at a price that was more than the car was worth at the time, for example. I worked at a GM dealership parts department before going into the bodyshop.

Edited by buyacargetacheck

Maybe that's true in your area. Do a quick search for all the 1985-1988 Novas and Cavaliers for sale in the entire country on Autotrader.com. You'll find 16 Novas and 18 Cavaliers. Amazing considering the Cavalier by far outsold the Nova during these years 1,485,046 to 471,147 (3:1 ratio!!!). I'll grant you this is not a scientific survey, but I'd be surprised if the actual registration numbers were much different.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresult...mp;keywordsfyc=

Why is it that you feel the need to ruin a perfectly good thread by bring in your import-humping bias? This had nothing to do with Toyota or Toyota bashing until you came along.

:hijacked:

Back to the W bodies please!

In agreement sir.. This is the very thing I was talking about in the Buick thread.

To put it back on track:

1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme commercial:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T1h5wgqrdFs

1995 Cutlass Supreme:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VbuN_yF-Qew

1988 Cutlass Supreme:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=acKlpQmJghE&...ted&search=

back to your regularly scheduled thread... Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

All Cutlass Supreme convertibles had the 4-speed OD automatic transmission, I believe. Some models also had a 5-speed OD manual and 3-speed automatics (standard through 1993 with the 3100 V-6 and optional with one of the quad 4's), and others had the 4-speed OD automatic, standard 1994-97.