37_fusionsport2010.jpg

06_fusionsport2010.jpg

Pictures from Autoblog.com

2010 FORD FUSION HYBRID

2010 FORD FUSION SPORT

PRESS RELEASE

NEW 2010 FORD FUSION, FUSION HYBRID OFFER LEADING

FUEL EFFICIENCY, SMART NEW TECHNOLOGIES

For the 2010 model year, the new Ford Fusion lineup expands to include an all-new hybrid model that offers class-leading fuel economy, besting the Toyota Camry hybrid by at least 5 mpg in the city; innovative new SmartGauge™ with EcoGuide coaches hybrid drivers to maximize fuel efficiency

Fusion will offer three fuel-efficient gasoline engine options – the Duratec 2.5-liter I-4 and enhanced 3.0-liter V-6 and 3.5-liter V-6 Duratec engines. Fusions equipped with the 2.5-liter I-4 engine are expected to deliver at least 3 mpg better on the highway than the Honda Accord and 2 mpg better than the Toyota Camry. The 3.5-liter V-6 powers the all-new Fusion Sport model

Class-exclusive features, including Ford SYNC™, SIRUIS® TravelLink™, BLIS™ (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross Traffic Alert and Sony-branded audio set Fusion apart from other mid-size sedans

The 2010 Ford Fusion will be available in dealer showrooms in spring 2009

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 19, 2008 – Ford's new 2010 Fusion is set to shake up the cut-throat mid-size sedan segment when it goes on sale early next year, bringing an all-new hybrid that will deliver the best fuel economy of any sedan in America, class-exclusive technologies including a blind spot detection and warning system and Ford SYNC™, plus the kind of proven quality and reliability that has been recognized by the top consumer groups and magazines.

"With the new Ford Fusion, we are offering consumers more choice, even better fuel economy and the leading quality and reliability that they have come to expect," said Derrick Kuzak, Ford's group vice president of Global Product Development. "But that isn't all – we weren't satisfied with just matching the competition in the segment, we wanted to give consumers even more by delivering engaging driving dynamics and technologies that make the in-car experience more comfortable and connected."

Designed to stand out

Ford's attention to detail with the freshened Fusion begins with a new design that gives the car a sportier look and improved aerodynamics. The car's newly designed front end, including headlamps, grille and larger fog-lamp area, further enhance the sporty nature of the 2010 Fusion. Aerodynamic enhancements and new underbody shields further boost Fusion's fuel economy.

Overall, the wider, sportier look aims to make Fusion even more appealing to customers eager for a fun-to-drive mid-size sedan.

With all models, the interior design team created a more contemporary, technical look with metallic new finishes on the instrument panel that carries through on the center console, doors and steering wheel. A new shifter has been added, increasing the Fusion's sportiness and comfort.

The seats received a makeover, as well. The seat contour has been revised, with more side support and overall a softer seat with smoother bolsters and more-textural inserts. The seats also feature contrasting stitching and tipped leather inserts to give the Fusion even more attitude, befitting this mid-size sedan.

The gauge cluster has been designed with 3-D elements to create a jewel-like appearance, similar to a fine watch. Drivers will be greeted by a new "welcome" sequence that makes the Fusion seem as if it's coming to life. Gauge needles sweep back and forth as the lighting and new chimes come on. The ambient lighting system offers the option of illuminating the front and rear footwells and front cup holders.

Fuel-efficient powertrain lineup

Both the inline four-cylinder and V-6 engines are upgraded for both improved fuel economy and power. Fusions equipped with Ford's new 2.5-liter I-4 engine are expected to deliver at least a 5 mpg improvement versus the 2009 model on the highway, resulting in fuel economy that is at least 3 mpg better than the Honda Accord and 2 mpg better than the Toyota Camry.

The 2.5-liter I-4 engine horsepower and torque also have been improved from the car's outgoing 2.3-liter 4-cylinger engine, jumping to 175 hp and 172 ft.-lbs. of torque from the previous 160 hp and 156 ft-lbs. As a result, 0-60 performance improves by more than a second, now topping Camry and Accord.

The 2010 Fusion features an all six-speed transmission lineup, including for the new 2.5-liter I-4 engine, which is available with either a six-speed manual or automatic transmission. The previous 2.3-liter I-4 in the Fusion was available with only a five-speed transmission.

The additional gear on the I-4 provides better drivability and performance as well as fuel savings, said Matt Hettenhouse, Powertrain Team Leader for the Fusion. "The gear ratios and the overall span of the transmissions allow us to have a more-efficient shift schedule," he said.

The first gear can be made a little deeper, which provides smoother acceleration. At the top end, a higher gear allows the engine to run slower in highway conditions, which also aids fuel economy.

Ford's proven Duratec 30 3.0-liter V-6 engine also improved on the 2010 model, delivering highway fuel economy gains of at least 1 mpg city and 2 mpg highway. Horsepower in the 3.0-liter V-6 also increased to 240 hp and 222 ft.,-lbs, up from 221 hp and 205 ft.-lbs. in the previous version. The 3.0-liter engine is now Flex Fuel-capable and can run on E-85 ethanol, which delivers even more horsepower – up to 250hp.

Front-wheel drive and on-demand all-wheel drive are available with models with a 3.0-liter engine and with the new Fusion Sport 3.5-liter engine.

The Fusion Sport 3.5-liter V-6 has 263 horsepower, a six-speed automatic transmission with SelectShift. The versatility in the powertrain systems creates a wide range of options for customers designed to fit every need.

The 2010 Fusion now comes equipped with Electric Power Assist Steering (EPAS) system on 2.5- and 3.0-liter models, improving the driving dynamics of the vehicle while delivering greater fuel savings because the steering system is operated by the electrical system rather than the engine. Additionally, EPAS provides customers with improved steering feel and reduced low-speed efforts that when coupled with a nearly 1 foot smaller turning circle for 2010 makes parking a cinch.

In addition to improvements in the 2010 Fusion's steering, handling and improved brake pedal feel, the Fusion team also took a look at how to improve the comfort of the car, including reducing wind noise and road noise.

Hood insulators, inner and outer dash absorbers, new carpet and glass, revised sealing baffles, additional sound deadening in the trunk, new interior material and new headliner material are among the improvements made.

Improved body and door sealing also contribute to Fusion's best-in-class standing in wind noise. Overall, the reduction in wind noise and road noise puts Fusion near some of the best luxury cars in terms of quietness and best-in-class speech intelligibility. Wind noise, for example, is 3 sones better than Camry and Accord. Models with the I-4 engine are class leaders in wind noise and road noise.

All-new hybrid model

For the 2010 model year, the Ford Fusion adds an all-new hybrid model. The Fusion and Mercury Milan Hybrids join the Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner Hybrids, doubling both the size and volume of Ford's hybrid lineup.

I'm not sure about this one...

I really WANT to love the new aggressions, but somehow it looks a little awkward.

I'll want until I see it in person. I loved the last Fusion because it was so crisp looking. This one seems to integrate more Japanese organic crap into the design. Boo-Hiss on getting rid of the gorgeous chrome taillights in exchange for bland-o Korean looking units.

Something about it reminds me of an Australian Ford... the current Falcon range, for example, has a rather bland greenhouse with a super-aggressive front end and a non-descript rear end, just like this Fusion. I appreciate the loss of the trendy chrome taillamps, their time has passed. I like it overall, especially the Sport model. Chery, I mean Chevy, should make a Malibu Sport model (NOT an SS).

I think it's the best looking of the redesigned triplets.

+1

I went from liking the Zephyr/MKZ the most to liking this the most.

Milan is now in last place for me... whereas it was above the Fusion before.

I like this interior more, and I honestly could see myself cross-shopping this and the Malibu.

2010 FORD FUSION

33_fusionsport2010.jpg

Wow. That looks great to me.

I love the new front end. The grille, the angled headlights, the squared off hood. It looks more upscale--from this picture at least--than anything else in its class. I haven't been this impressed with a design from Ford in a long time. The midsection is still bland and the rear isn't as much as an improvement, but overall I'm impressed. Love the 5-spoke wheels.

The interior looks dated, but I guess there was only so much they could do there.

Definitely an upgrade.

Something about mating the 6M to the D3x engines... they've never done it before for some reason.

They've no doubt done a cost-benefit analysis that shows Americans don't buy very many manuals in midsize FWD sedans.

Other than the Accord, who else offers a manual in their midsize FWD family sedans? VW used to in the Passat, not sure if they still do in the US.

Something about mating the 6M to the D3x engines... they've never done it before for some reason.

They've no doubt done a cost-benefit analysis that shows Americans don't buy very many manuals in midsize FWD sedans.

Other than the Accord and Mazda6, what other midsize FWD family sedans are available w/ a V6 and manual in the US? Or are the Accord and Mazda6 manuals now just w/ 4s?

• 1 month later...

I love the new front end.

I love those wheels.

I don't like the updated interior. That random trim strip on the passenger side of the dash and its placement is unappealing, and those droopy tail lights are unpleasant.

The midsection makes this look stodgy and old though.

Like a previous generation Mondeo.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the end of Extreme Makeovers... an in addition to the home, they gave the family a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid. It looked nice, and they showed the gauges and the growing leaves (again, an absurd distraction from the road, but no less stupid than the turquoise "Low Traction" light that comes on in the Century on my dash when I'm skidding).

Ford will continue their hit.

I don't like the updated interior. That random trim strip on the passenger side of the dash and its placement is unappealing

That was there before. On SEL (and SE I believe) it was either piano black or wood. On the S, it was left off, so there was just an awkwardly shaped indent on the dash.

That was there before. On SEL (and SE I believe) it was either piano black or wood. On the S, it was left off, so there was just an awkwardly shaped indent on the dash.

On the old versions it had better placement and continuity.