How Collectible will the C5 and C6 Corvette be?

Given 20 or 30 years, how collectible will C5 andC6 Corvettes be? I am thinking they will be MUCH more of a collectors item than the C3 and C4 Corvettes, for a few reasons.

1. They are much better cars, and much more driver friendly.

2. They are being driven and raced MUCH more than the earlier C3 and C4 Corvettes-seems like everyone I know with these is beating the hell out of it on the road, on the track, autocrossing it, etc. This will mean that fewer cars will survive and more people will have more vivid memeories of just what these cars can do. Also, competition history helps a car become collectable. Why else do cars like the C2 Corvette, Early Camaro, GT350 Mustang, Cobra, Hemi cars, etc. bring high #'s at auction? People seem to really respond to performance cars that are actuallylegit performance cars.

3. GM may not be building supercar type Corvettes forever. Given fuel economy and emission standards, as well as the economy, the next generations of Corvette may indeed be tamer.

Your thoughts?

Chris/66

I would say the C6 will be very collector worthy because the C7 is shaping up to be not nearly as exciting. Plus in the 2008-20XX C6 you can get the largest V8 you could in a Vette for a long while the 6.2 in the Vert of 7.0 in Z06. The last few years of the C5's will prolly be worth something too in about 30 years tho.

I would say the C6 will be very collector worthy because the C7 is shaping up to be not nearly as exciting.

Where have you heard the C7 is set to be the Debbie Downer of Corvettes? I haven't heard ANYTHING about it yet, so please link me to some articles.

I think the C5 will be pretty collectable as a) it doesn't suck, and b) it's the last with retractible headlights.

C6 will be fairly collectable because it is the most gorgeous Corvette to date.

Where have you heard the C7 is set to be the Debbie Downer of Corvettes? I haven't heard ANYTHING about it yet, so please link me to some articles.

I think the C5 will be pretty collectable as a) it doesn't suck, and b) it's the last with retractible headlights.

C6 will be fairly collectable because it is the most gorgeous Corvette to date.

I think there was a rumor a while back that the C7 was "only" going to have something like 300-350hp, but they were also planning on shedding weight.

The C5 is actually my favorite Corvette, its not as fast or refined as the C6, but it appeals to me more, I cant really put my finger on why.

I think we can all agree that the C5 and C6 will be more highly sought in 30 years than any non-ZR-1 C4.

I do to a certain extent but how much weight they shave off and how much hp you drop can vary widely and have an huge effect on the car. I like the Corvette at the moderate weight it is at with its high power. Then again I am more of muscle guy over weight anyways, wonder why I dislike Lotus.

To bring the thread back on topic, all Corvettes will eventually obtain some sort of collector status. I'd have never though that the detuned 73-82 models would ever amount to anything, but they are. People are buying them up and restifying them as a consolation prize for not being able to land a 68-72, and their values are going up, up, up. So give it time, and I think you'll see the C4-C6 reach collector status.

Croc we have all heard rumors about less power and a smaller V8 and also less weight. I say boo and that is why these Vettes will be worth so much.

First of all, I haven't heard a damn thing about the C7 "not being nearly as exciting." Have I heard of greater fuel efficiency, but lower weight? YES...BUT THAT DOESN'T NECESSARILY MEAN LESS EXCITING! Do you seriously think GM will release a Vette that's slower than the current gen?

Link your own articles. :rolleyes: I think it just proves all the things that are right with this C6.

Go shove it. I was simply asking for more information because I hadn't heard what you think you have. I've never encountered someone so standoffish and rude over being asked to point someone to some information before on this forum ever.

I think there was a rumor a while back that the C7 was "only" going to have something like 300-350hp, but they were also planning on shedding weight.

The C5 is actually my favorite Corvette, its not as fast or refined as the C6, but it appeals to me more, I cant really put my finger on why.

I think we can all agree that the C5 and C6 will be more highly sought in 30 years than any non-ZR-1 C4.

THANK YOU SO MUCH SATTY! Even though you don't have links to point me to, this is reasoned and detailed enough to be helpful.

Personally, I prefer the cleaner lines o the C6. C5...meh. It's really showing its age now in a way I don't know if the C6 will. I really can't think of any styling improvements for a C7, except maybe a more upright nose...but that's more of a styling trend these days than an actual improvement.

Edited by Croc

THANK YOU SO MUCH SATTY! Even though you don't have links to point me to, this is reasoned and detailed enough to be helpful.

Personally, I prefer the cleaner lines o the C6. C5...meh. It's really showing its age now in a way I don't know if the C6 will. I really can't think of any styling improvements for a C7, except maybe a more upright nose...but that's more of a styling trend these days than an actual improvement.

No prob. A link to where the possible C7 diet and power cut was discussed.

The C6 is a fantastic design, I wont argue that ,and it obviously has the better interior and more power. But the C5, for whatever reason, pulls me in. But I'm weird, I once wanted a C4 convertible.

If GM and the Vette are still around the C5-6 will take years to be anything of great vlaue.

Some limited editions like a Z06 or ZR1 will be the exceptions.

Also we can condem the C7 yet since we have no clue to what it will be. Even it it is a 2,000 pound Turbo 4 it could be a very exciting car and in many ways it could out perform many of the prersent line up. Lack of mass is even better then more HP.

If you like a C5-6 buy one and enjoy it but don't park it hopping to send you kids to on it. I know may a Fiero that is for sale today just trying to get some of what was paid for it in 1988.

In other words don't bank your future on one.

To bring the thread back on topic, all Corvettes will eventually obtain some sort of collector status. I'd have never though that the detuned 73-82 models would ever amount to anything, but they are. People are buying them up and restifying them as a consolation prize for not being able to land a 68-72, and their values are going up, up, up. So give it time, and I think you'll see the C4-C6 reach collector status.

Exactly how I see it.

I've been following those cars lately, and the trend is obvious. Late C3s are climbing fast, and early C4s are the bargain basement of Vette collecting. It is like a wave that follows production a few decades later.

Early C4s (I'd go so far as to say 84-89 models) were probably the all-around low point in the Corvettes history and prices will likely reflect that far into the future.

Not so sure I see it quite that way, those cars were considered revolutionary in their time. It is only with the benefit of hindsight that they seem so lackluster. They created a huge stir and secured the continued production of the Corvette when that future was anything but assured. They replaced a very old C3, that had lost almost all of its performance and was universally panned at the time.

The C3 lived too long, but the curves still appeal to many people. The early C4s had the 205hp L83 and rode terribly, not to mention 4+3. The later cars, especially the ZR-1, Grand Sport and million other special editions will always have a place in the heart of every Vetteophile.

The C3 lived too long, but the curves still appeal to many people. The early C4s had the 205hp L83 and rode terribly, not to mention 4+3. The later cars, especially the ZR-1, Grand Sport and million other special editions will always have a place in the heart of every Vetteophile.

Agreed.

But in '84, the C4 was light years ahead of an '82 C3. People instantly thought Ferrari when they saw it for the first time (no joke). It made a huge splash, and only got better year after year - thus saving the Corvette nameplate from extinction. The '84, as lame as it may look now, is a very significant milestone in Corvette history. Do I love it? No, not really - my interest in C4s begins about '88 and reaches its peak with the ZR-1 and (perhaps even moreso) the excellent '96 LT4 cars.

As far as collectibility goes, most C4s are still just used cars right now - but certain models and pristine low-mile examples will appreciate vs. the current value over time.

Choose wisely and a C4 can be a real bargain.

The low point will always be 1975-77 The year with the low power and the Vega Steering wheel is the worst.

As for the C4 the 1984 was bad due to the Crossfire injection, the wrong shocks on the Z51 package and the overall failure of parts like the dash, power seats etc. The cars got better with each year but the 84 stigma and styling that just did not age well hurts it.

At some point they will imporve and the later cars will show the best gain. But they will never beat the return on a 67 L88.

First of all, I haven't heard a damn thing about the C7 "not being nearly as exciting." Have I heard of greater fuel efficiency, but lower weight? YES...BUT THAT DOESN'T NECESSARILY MEAN LESS EXCITING! Do you seriously think GM will release a Vette that's slower than the current gen?

Go shove it. I was simply asking for more information because I hadn't heard what you think you have. I've never encountered someone so standoffish and rude over being asked to point someone to some information before on this forum ever.

Croc I was the simply saying that I didn't have the link but we were talking about it on here. It is nearly a fact the next Corvette will be less powerful, and weigh less and I don't think that is a good thing. Given CAFE and the current things happening in the industry. I like the cars the way they are.

Croc I did reason with you I said the next Vette would be lighter and less powerful. It is the way you went about it calling it the "Downer of Corvettes". Did I say that? I just said what I had heard about the next one. I don't take any sh*t from anyone. Sorry. Back to the Corvette. :convertible:

Edited by gm4life

• 1 month later...

Right now we are up to our asses in C4's so yeah theyre not currently collectible. But it was an extremely long run. And the C4 was a truly revolutionary Corvette. It was the first one with true world class handling. I heard a rumor that Chevy had purchased 5 Ferraris during development to have a benchmark for handling on the C4.

I think that Jim Hill kept the C5 Corvette on a very short leash in the name of 'respectability' and 'refinement' but with the C6's we are seeing that 'respectability' thrown to the wind. And rightly so I think. The average C5 compared to my C4 was almost too refined and stable. It handled better and was more powerful...but a C4 just gives you more of that 'over the edge' adrenaline rush.

Or I might be fulla crap too. Thats just my thoughts on the matter. Corvetteforum.com is the place to get this sort of info.

Right now we are up to our asses in C4's so yeah theyre not currently collectible. But it was an extremely long run. And the C4 was a truly revolutionary Corvette. It was the first one with true world class handling. I heard a rumor that Chevy had purchased 5 Ferraris during development to have a benchmark for handling on the C4.

I think that Jim Hill kept the C5 Corvette on a very short leash in the name of 'respectability' and 'refinement' but with the C6's we are seeing that 'respectability' thrown to the wind. And rightly so I think. The average C5 compared to my C4 was almost too refined and stable. It handled better and was more powerful...but a C4 just gives you more of that 'over the edge' adrenaline rush.

Or I might be fulla crap too. Thats just my thoughts on the matter. Corvetteforum.com is the place to get this sort of info.

I spend too much time at CorvetteForum.com, but it is entertaining with questions like, "who uses their windshield wipers" or "who drives thies Vette in the rain". The Z51 badging wars are a hoot as well. There are just too many topics too list.

• 6 years later...

I personally love the C3, even later ones.  The styling of the C3's was just sexy IMO.  As far as C5 and C6 go, if given the choice I'd take a C6 with a C5 interior.  I always felt the C6 and basically all GM products during that time period had some dreadful interiors, not as bad as Chrysler products of the time, but close.

While I love all corvettes and the new beasts are amazing to drive, They all have one missing thing!

Body Style!

Current Corvette Lovely

post-12-0-80928300-1425324638_thumb.jpg

Older Corvette just beautiful

post-12-0-64537100-1425324637_thumb.jpg

There is just something about this body style that I just love.

• 3 weeks later...

While I love all corvettes and the new beasts are amazing to drive, They all have one missing thing!

Body Style!

Current Corvette Lovely

attachicon.gifcorvette-2014-stingray-920-9.jpg

Older Corvette just beautiful

attachicon.gifCorvette StingRay.jpg

There is just something about this body style that I just love.

The C7 almost looks better than the C1 and C2 to me.  Agree on LOVE!