Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Caravan to DC !!!

Detroit's new plan: Drive point to Congress

Fuel-efficient caravan would roll to hearing

BY TOM WALSH and MARK PHELAN • FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITERS • November 24, 2008

A plan is taking shape for auto suppliers, dealers and the UAW to participate in a cavalcade of fuel-efficient American-brand vehicles to Washington, D.C., in December, when Congress reconsiders the industry's plea for quick action on low-interest loans.

Advertisement

The aim is to put a populist face on the need for the American auto industry's survival and to build grassroots support for federal aid, in the wake of criticism that the Detroit Three chief executive officers and UAW President Ron Gettelfinger did not make a convincing case during two days of congressional hearings last week.

"There was so much misinformation in the hearings last week. I'd love to see something come to fruition where people show what this industry means to the country," said Carl Galeana, president of Galeana Automotive Group, which has domestic and import dealerships in Michigan, South Carolina and Florida.

"I'll do whatever I can to save this industry," he added.

The proposal took shape Friday after Tim Leuliette, chairman and CEO of Dura Automotive, a Rochester Hills-based supplier, broached the idea to Rick Wagoner, Alan Mulally and Bob Nardelli, the CEOs of General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler LLC. Other supplier executives and auto dealers were quickly engaged in the discussion.

"We want to help dispel the myths" about the Detroit Three, Sean McGuire, Dura vice president of marketing, said Sunday. "It's important to show that these are truly high-tech companies that produce a variety of alternate-fuel and high fuel-efficiency vehicles."

Ford, GM, Chrysler and UAW representatives expressed support for the idea Sunday.

"The UAW thinks it's great that so many people understand the importance of good American jobs and know the value and quality of American vehicles," spokesman Roger Kerson said.

The goal is to bring together a group of 100 or more auto industry leaders and local officials for a rally in Hart Plaza in support of the loans. A cavalcade of hybrids and other fuel-efficient vehicles made by GM, Chrysler and Ford then would head to Washington, with stops along the way for rallies and news conferences. If the CEOs and Gettelfinger present Congress with a specific recovery plan as requested by Dec. 2 and appear for more testimony on Dec. 8, the cavalcade probably would begin on Sunday, Dec. 7.

But the date and the specifics are still under discussion.

Metro Detroit component suppliers and dealers are generally supportive of proposals for a bridge loan of $25 billion to the Detroit automakers to help with immediate cash flow needs, plus another $25 billion already approved for retooling to make more fuel-efficient vehicles. But many are concerned that Congress has a distorted view of the industry, which was exacerbated by the contentious exchanges at last week's hearings between the CEOs and some members of Congress, who criticized the CEO salaries and use of private corporate planes to attend the hearings.

Many suppliers and dealers already have sent letters supporting aid. But they think that a more visible public show of support is warranted.

In a letter sent Nov. 13 by Leuliette to President George W. Bush, Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson and members of Congress, he said, "The U.S. auto industry is an integral part of the American economic fabric. It has been aggressively and successfully restructuring but it has been caught in a perfect storm that caused an economic crisis over which the industry has no control. The crisis not only endangers that restructuring but the future of one of America's most important industries.

"As a nation we are in the midst of the greatest financial crisis since the Great Depression," Leuliette wrote. "It will deepen if the auto industry collapses. Without federal loans that is not a possibility; it is a certainty."

Contact TOM WALSH at 313-223-4430 or [email protected].

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I smell the beginning of a social movement!!!

(GM, are you reading my posts?)

If this goes off as planned, this could have a HUGE impact on turning the perception of these companies around. But it needs to be flawless.

And the media needs to be alerted and asked to cooperate (Most of the time, the media is alerted to social movements by the people who design them -- the media is an industry and they will cover what sells, good or bad)

The only question is; will the media give Detroit a chance or will it continue it's smear campaign?

This is the kind of grassroots main street campaigning that the industry needs to embrace. america has no idea what clout this industry still holds. america views this industry as old, deceitful and disposable because it doesn't understand how many peoples lives these companies still affects. This is where the UAW and all the little people like us come in and it is why I have been shamelessly promoting the "bailout" in every way possible. (Seriously, has anyone seen my Facebook?) If all of the people affected by this industry come together, then we can't be ignored.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

We are such trend setters 8)

It's an excellent idea. I think they should open it up to more than just executives and officials, but a caravan of them and any owners of new GM Ford or Chrysler models that are fuel efficient, and make it a huge event, to show just how many people care about the American auto industry.

Edited by Dodgefan

If I had one of the new GM vehicles, I'd join the caravan and follow along to DC.

edit: Hell, if I had one of the old GM vehicles with 200,000 miles on it, I'd follow along also to disprove the myth that the old stuff was crap.

I like that idea too of owners with high mileage cars (or trucks in this case) journeying with them.

But which would I take? I have so many (3)! :scratchchin:

Gee I wish I had an idea like this and started a thread on cheers and gears on doing a caravan to DC. :rolleyes:

I am glad they are paying a lot of money to people just to use some horse sense! It is no wonder they can figure out the auto market.

Now fire up the damn Cruze Volt Mule and hit the road.

You know they will screw this up some how. I know some idiot will send the hybrid SUV and expect the unwashed media to understand them as they get blasted for only getting 22 MPG.

If it does not get 30+ MPG highway GM does not send it.

Pay attention GM you need to make a big impression on Washington and a lot of Toyota and Honda owners not the local GM fans.

Edited by hyperv6

We are such trend setters 8)

It's an excellent idea. I think they should open it up to more than just executives and officials, but a caravan of them and any owners of new GM Ford or Chrysler models that are fuel efficient, and make it a huge event, to show just how many people care about the American auto industry.

I don't agree with you on everything, but you are right on about this one. They need this money and in addition to that if they get the money they need to change their buisness model and get costs down to Toyota/Honda levels. This is what they needed to do the first time, they need GM owners and also workers from all around this great nation. As for the idea of a Caravan I think it started here first. :AH-HA_wink:

One thing that still pisses me off about this whole situation is that the Big 3 have to jump through hoops to split $25 billion, while the government write out a check for $20 billion to Citigroup with no strings attached, no demands for a restructuring plan, no demands for cut workforce, reduced pay, and reduced benefits.

One thing that still pisses me off about this whole situation is that the Big 3 have to jump through hoops to split $25 billion, while the government write out a check for $20 billion to Citigroup with no strings attached, no demands for a restructuring plan, no demands for cut workforce, reduced pay, and reduced benefits.

I think the money going to Citi is a complete sham, however they did just lay off 50,000 people.

Mulally should drive there in the 39 mpg Fusion hybrid. Wagoner's problem is the Volt would probably break down and not make it, and is left with the 20 mpg Tahoe hybrid. Same problem for Nardelli with the 20 mpg Durango hybrid. On last night's episode of Top Gear they had a 700 mile race with any car they wanted, the only stipulation was they would only get 1 tank of gas. Richard Hammond with a Volkswagen Polo diesel averaged over 70 mpg on the trip. GM makes a big deal that the Cruze may get 40 mpg in 2011, but that is mediocre for what Europe is doing now. The Detroit 3 execs are out of touch with what is going on.

Why Citigroup got Detroit's money

The government wants the Big Three to prove they are worthy of a $25 billion loan but Citigroup didn't have to twist any arms to get another $20 billion.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/11/24/markets/th...rce=yahoo_quote

The article still begs a few questions, but the terms relegated and relic apply. I would not say unworthy however.

Mulally should drive there in the 39 mpg Fusion hybrid. Wagoner's problem is the Volt would probably break down and not make it, and is left with the 20 mpg Tahoe hybrid. Same problem for Nardelli with the 20 mpg Durango hybrid. On last night's episode of Top Gear they had a 700 mile race with any car they wanted, the only stipulation was they would only get 1 tank of gas.

Malibu Hybrid, Vue Two-Mode, Aura Hybrid, Malibu 4-cylinder LTZ,

Richard Hammond with a Volkswagen Polo diesel averaged over 70 mpg on the trip. GM makes a big deal that the Cruze may get 40 mpg in 2011, but that is mediocre for what Europe is doing now. The Detroit 3 execs are out of touch with what is going on.

You always find some way... any way... to bash GM in every post.

Pray tell, which European gassers of the Cruze's size get 40mpg?

If you have a problem with the lack of diesel choices in the US, take it up with the EPA. Even emissions queen Honda couldn't get their diesel to pass emissions tests for the US.

Malibu Hybrid, Vue Two-Mode, Aura Hybrid, Malibu 4-cylinder LTZ,

You always find some way... any way... to bash GM in every post.

Pray tell, which European gassers of the Cruze's size get 40mpg?

If you have a problem with the lack of diesel choices in the US, take it up with the EPA. Even emissions queen Honda couldn't get their diesel to pass emissions tests for the US.

I think that this person is a maladjusted sociopath. There is a consistency that this poster unwaveringly cleaves to. As such, I dismiss him/her.

What do you mean you're not sending the Pontiac (cough, cough, Holden) G8 to Washington? Don't hide the dirty laundry, let Congress see it all. :smilewide:

I'd send a G8 also..and a G8 ST.. and a Vibe...and a Tahoe.

The point is that GM makes great cars of all sizes, for all pocket books, and for all needs.

What do you mean you're not sending the Pontiac (cough, cough, Holden) G8 to Washington? Don't hide the dirty laundry, let Congress see it all. :smilewide:

You know what, they should, so Congress can see in person the car that drives every bit as good as a 550i yet gets better gas mileage and costs a lot less.

The point is that GM makes great cars of all sizes, for all pocket books, and for all needs.

I'd consider leaving the Vibe home. The whole "built by Toyota" thing may come back to bite them.

Mulally should drive there in the 39 mpg Fusion hybrid. Wagoner's problem is the Volt would probably break down and not make it, and is left with the 20 mpg Tahoe hybrid. Same problem for Nardelli with the 20 mpg Durango hybrid. On last night's episode of Top Gear they had a 700 mile race with any car they wanted, the only stipulation was they would only get 1 tank of gas. Richard Hammond with a Volkswagen Polo diesel averaged over 70 mpg on the trip. GM makes a big deal that the Cruze may get 40 mpg in 2011, but that is mediocre for what Europe is doing now. The Detroit 3 execs are out of touch with what is going on.

Forgot about the Vue did we?

Why Citigroup got Detroit's money

The government wants the Big Three to prove they are worthy of a $25 billion loan but Citigroup didn't have to twist any arms to get another $20 billion.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/11/24/markets/th...rce=yahoo_quote

The article still begs a few questions, but the terms relegated and relic apply. I would not say unworthy however.

Sounds like a bunch of hot air and bull$h! to me...

It's all about keeping the elite, elite and the working man poor.

Detroit does nothing for Washington, so Washington will not look out for its interests. In fact, Washington values the transplants more because of the $$$ they can bring to the pockets of the officials. This is america, without money or credit, you're S.O.L. Add to that the media tirade against Detroit (Just as I predicted, the media is influencing politicians when it should be the other way around)

It's funny that they mention the size and scope of Citi as if GM doesn't enjoy that same status. And I also find it ironic that the reason given is that they're trying to preserve a place to put the cash at the expense of an industry that generates the cash in the first place.

Go ahead and knock out the rest of the working class, Congress. Then see where your 'banks' stand then. It's a very simple concept, a country that doesn't make things and accumulate wealth by selling them will not build wealth or store wealth. Common sense 101, but I guess Congress' collective head is to far up it's own ass to see the light.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

You do realize that Top Gear is British, and that the Imperial gallon is 20% larger than the US gallon, which means that their 70 mpg is equivalent to 56 mpg in US gallons.

Just thought you should know, is all.

Now, go back to your continued bashing of GM...........

Edited by CARBIZ

Forgot about the Vue did we?

The Two-mode isn't available yet, and the 2009 Vue hybrid gets 25/32 mpg. Until they beat the Prius, Congress and the critics are always going to say, "well Toyota's hybrid gets 46 mpg, why do Detroit's only get 26? when is Detroit going to make a 50 mpg car?" They should put a 2.0 turbo diesel in the Malibu to make it a 40+ mpg car, hybrid option to get it to 50 mpg. 50 mpg in a family sedan would make the Camry hybrid's 33 mpg look rather weak.

You do realize that Top Gear is British, and that the Imperial gallon is 20% larger than the US gallon, which means that their 70 mpg is equivalent to 56 mpg in US gallons.

He doesn't realize a lot of things.

I forgot about the gallon difference, the Polo has a 10 gallon tank by their measure, 12 by ours, so over 730 miles they still got 60.8 mpg, which is rather strong. They did mock the Prius saying how the Polo and even a Subaru Legacy diesel can beat it in mileage.

Congress is going to take one look at the Pontiac G8 and say "Why should we give you money to build cars in another country?"

GM/Ford/Chrysler; Unless you are totally brain dead, don't bring any reminders to Congress of just how many of your cars arn't built by American workers.

Also, the Big 3 need to announce plans bring more of their production back into the US.

Congress is going to take one look at the Pontiac G8 and say "Why should we give you money to build cars in another country?"

GM/Ford/Chrysler; Unless you are totally brain dead, don't bring any reminders to Congress of just how many of your cars arn't built by American workers.

Also, the Big 3 need to announce plans bring more of their production back into the US.

Well they should get incentives to do it just like how Alabama is whoring itself out to foreign companies.

I forgot about the gallon difference, the Polo has a 10 gallon tank by their measure, 12 by ours, so over 730 miles they still got 60.8 mpg, which is rather strong. They did mock the Prius saying how the Polo and even a Subaru Legacy diesel can beat it in mileage.

hehe when do they not mock a prius?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydvAQ6Y49vc...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxb_91x3is4

and my favorite

mmmmm.... ma ducey

Edited by cletus8269

Although I understand the sentiment, their is a huge flaw in this logic: the Big 3 sell nearly 3/4 of a million vehicles a year in Canada, and dominate Australia's market, too. Drawing on their world experience should not be viewed as a sign of weakness, but rather of strength. Any patents that result from R&D money spent in Australia or Canada are OWNED by GM.

We need to get beyond the sentiment of the hapless worker on the line, turning a wrench. The greater issues here go way beyond that. GM employs engineers and designers right here in Canada; what Toyota and Honda do is little more than window dressing.

If GM or Ford were to close operations in Ontario and 'bring them home,' you can bet there would be a backlash in Canada, which would invoke NAFTA.

Ire needs to be directed at Japan because of its closed market. Nobody has any sizeable presence in Japan - not GM, not Ford, not Peugeot, not BMW, not VW. NOBODY.

If anyone in Congress suggests that GM "stop making vehicles that get under 20 mpg city". Then, say, well no Euro companies can sell them here. Bye bye big MB, big Beemer, Rolls-R, and the Italian sports cars! Then, the 'elite' will realize they cant have it both ways.

Also, if they suggest 'no more big trucks', ask "Well how the $%@#! will your landscapers, contractors, Joe the Plumers, get to your McMansions to do work?" and " you really think a Prius can carry heavy ladders and still get 40 mpg????"

Edited by Chicagoland

During the last hearing, Congress asked the Big 3 bluntly, are you asking China/Mexico/etc for a bail out as well. The U.S Congress is going to have a hard time explaining to the American taxpayers why they just bailed out an assembly plant in South Korea or Mexico, which is a reality of this bail out since the Parent Companies are based in the United States.

I don't take issue with the CAW made cars in Canada, as Canada is a strong U.S ally and we have been buying Canadian made American cars for decades, its the Aveos/HHRs/G8 that are going to piss off taxpayers here.

pwnd.jpg

But GM is profitable in China and Korea. GM sells a lot of vehicles in those markets. Congress has no business making such demands.

It boils down to Japan and Japan alone. They hide behind their protectionist walls and are free to assault every market on the planet, but no one has been allowed to ascend their hollowed walls.

For the record, Ottawa and Ontario are looking at 'rescue packages,' but want to coordinate with Washington.

But GM is profitable in China and Korea. GM sells a lot of vehicles in those markets. Congress has no business making such demands.

It boils down to Japan and Japan alone. They hide behind their protectionist walls and are free to assault every market on the planet, but no one has been allowed to ascend their hollowed walls.

For the record, Ottawa and Ontario are looking at 'rescue packages,' but want to coordinate with Washington.

I agree, but for GM/Ford/Chrysler to get the money they need to show how it will save/create jobs. The gov't doesn't care if Rick Wagoner or Bob Lutz loose their jobs, they want to make sure that the thousand of taxpaying voters are still at work, paying taxes, and happy with their elected officials.

GM should also make a bigger point then they did about exporting cars to Asia/etc such as the Buick Enclave. Thats the kind of stuff Congress and taxpayers like to hear.

I don't understand what the argument is here on what to take.

Your only going to take what Washington and the press wants to see.

They want mileage, Hybrids, alturnitive fuels etc Give them just that.

Meet and match naything that Honda and Toyota offer and you will show them what they want.

These folks don't care about G8's Large SUV's or a ZR-1.

The more I think about this, the more excited I am about it. This is the first time in a while that Detroit has put a human face on the auto industry. The idea of having a huge parade of Detroit's best driving through small towns and big cities is really refreshing for an industry that many perceive to be stodgy and out-of-touch. I really hope the press give them a fair shot...this could be the event that finally turns perception around.

I already speculated out loud as to why the hearings weren't held in Detroit, so the fat cats can tour GM's proving grounds, Ford's factories, etc. to meet & greet the new models and the people who build them.

No, they'd rather score cheap shots from the vantage point of their soft chairs.

I know how they can really impress Washington. Skip these cars that get average highway fuel economy in the 30MPG range.

Why don't they drive one of their 45+ MPG highway cars there to show Washington how serious they are about fuel economy? Like the Prius or the Civic!?!?! Oh wait, what about one of their 40+ MPG highway cars like the Smart fortwo or the Jetta!?!? Oh wait...

Why don't they drive the Volt they've been advertising for over a year? Oh wait... it isn't drivable and the fuel economy on the highway is probably pretty bad.

I know, I know! GM has more average highway fuel economy cars than anyone else.

How ever did the public get the wrong impression?

Edited by GXT

I know how they can really impress Washington. Skip these cars that get average highway fuel economy in the 30MPG range.

Why don't they drive one of their 45+ MPG highway cars there to show Washington how serious they are about fuel economy? Like the Prius or the Civic!?!?! Oh wait, what about one of their 40+ MPG highway cars like the Smart fortwo or the Jetta!?!? Oh wait...

Why don't they drive the Volt they've been advertising for over a year? Oh wait... it isn't drivable and the fuel economy on the highway is probably pretty bad.

I know, I know! GM has more average highway fuel economy cars than anyone else.

How ever did the public get the wrong impression?

Don't you have somewhere else to go?