Back Home In The USA One Day And ...

I've driven countless times in vehicles not equipped with belts. Here my thinking aligns with Camino's general attitude- this should be my right/decision. Whether or not I wear a belt pretty much only affects me. Whether or not I drink & drive affects others.

My B-59, my '40 and one of my '64s have no belts. Only reason I'm going to put some in the B-59 is the performance ability.

Edited by balthazar

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I have a question.

What is the legal status of a pre-seatbelt car in a seatbelt required state? Do they have to be added to every classic? Or are you exempt from the law in such cars?

In Ohio you are exempt.

Chris

Actually I had an SCCA buddy get ticketed for driving with a five point racing harness in a Camaro because the five point harness wasn't DOT approved. Cop also had an atittude about the racing seat in the car not being the DOT approved seat for the car, and threatened to write him up for that as well.

Idiots.

Chris

Well, I totally disagree with sobriety checkpoints.

That being said, I did have one really cool run-in with one....

It was when I was living up in the Bay Area. I was leaving a little pizza joint that my friends and I frequented and was heading out of the little downtown village of Danville when I encountered the checkpoint.

Now....I had just picked up a brand new ('97 or '98 I forget) Riviera as a company car......white diamond with maroon leather.

As I pulled up to the first cop, he told me about the checkpoint and asked if I had been drinking.....I was straight up and said we had just had dinner at the pizza place (I forget it's name today) and had two beers during dinner.

He said "okay"......and asked me what kind of car I was driving? (I'm sure he was testing my ability to converse.) I told him all about the Riv and he was all like about how nice the car was, how sleek, and what a good-looking ride.

He smiled and told me to be careful on my way home.....then he ushered me through and past the other cops.

As I pulled up to the first cop, he told me about the checkpoint and asked if I had been drinking.....I was straight up and said we had just had dinner at the pizza place (I forget it's name today) and had two beers during dinner.

He said "okay"......and asked me what kind of car I was driving? (I'm sure he was testing my ability to converse.) I told him all about the Riv and he was all like about how nice the car was, how sleek, and what a good-looking ride.

He smiled and told me to be careful on my way home.....then he ushered me through and past the other cops.

there ya go, exactly what I was talking about.

Actually I had an SCCA buddy get ticketed for driving with a five point racing harness in a Camaro because the five point harness wasn't DOT approved. Cop also had an atittude about the racing seat in the car not being the DOT approved seat for the car, and threatened to write him up for that as well.

Idiots.

Chris

what? he didnt ask about a HANS device hehe

• 3 weeks later...
I hit a sobriety checkpoint a little while ago on my way to go pick up a movie. Cop asked if I had been drinking. I asked if he had any reason to believe I had been. He said no, I stonewalled, he sent me on my way.

We went out to a very cool trendoid bistro for dinner and I slammed 3 coconut mojitos...good think I wasn't drving

Rob druk