Next-gen Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger to beat CAFE standards, get 8-speed auto

Autoblog

It's pretty obvious at this point that Cerberus doesn't want to keep Chrysler, and turbulent economic realities have scuttled what few available prospects there would have been for new ownership. Some have openly wondered whether team Pentastar is even working on new products at all. Product development VP Frank Klegon insists that new Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep models are on their way, and he points to the next 300/Charger as proof.

Klegon told Automotive News at the LA Auto Show that the 2011 redesign of these two large, rear-wheel-drive sedans will beat projected 2011 CAFE standards. That feat will be accomplished with improvements to aerodynamics, axle ratios and upgraded engines. Klegon mentioned that the upcoming Phoenix engines, the development of which has not been cancelled, would motivate the Charger and 300. The new Phoenix family of V6 engines will have variable valve timing, cylinder deactivation and direct injection among its many efficiency increasing technologies. Automotive News also mentioned that Chrysler may employ an eight-speed automatic transmission to further improve performance and fuel economy. We don't know of any Chrysler transmission projects that are this ambitious, and Daimler currently utilizes only seven cogs in its Mercedes lineup, but suppliers like Aisin and ZF already have 8 speeds on the market.

I don't believe it. If these cars stay RWD there is no way they can beat CAFE standards :rolleyes:

The various Corvettes over the years have had some pretty good MPG numbers for the performance they provided...?

Sometimes performance and economy CAN go "hand in hand"...?

The various Corvettes over the years have had some pretty good MPG numbers for the performance they provided...?

I guess there was some sarcasm involved in N*'s post.

Yes, as someone pointed out, that was sarcasm (see the rolleyes smiley).

As for the Corvette, fuel economy has more to do with weight than engine size and power most of the time, hence the Corvette gets good mileage as it is quite light. Notice that a basically identical engine thrown into a 4000lb sedan (see G8 GT or GXP, CTS-V vs. ZR-1) doesn't get too good of mileage because the cars are so hefty.

Excellent!

At times, it can be good to be the smallest of the 3 because one is able to get away with way more innovative and daring things!

Here's to Chrysler regaining its late 1990's sales/profitability/greatness, although I won't hold my breath, I still hold hope.

• 4 months later...
Hopefully they will move away from brick styling with tiny greenhouses. I'd love the have the RWD, V8 hardware w/ sleek styling like the 2nd gen LHs.

I think the greenhouses are just right now, the giant greenhouse "thing" carmakers had for so long seems to finally be coming to an end. It was one of the main causes of "Just plain ugly".

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, the Rampage was tiny - mitsubishi-based I think.

Smaller than a Rabbit pickup.

A friend's dad had one, he loved it, drove it until it literally fell apart when going over train tracks, and was unrepairable unless he wanted to spend insane money to do it.. He looked for another one for a long time, finally wound up with an S10 ZR2 (?) that had been keyed up at a friend of his used car lot. He got it for almost nothing (They knew each other 50+ years, and were best friends, so I'm betting there was NO money paid), and he had a not too bad Earl Sheib paint job sprayed on it, mostly to keep it from rotting, and has been driving it since.

He would buy a new Rampage, if it was anything like the original. He was kind of hoping the Pontiac version of the Ute would have been built, but that's a dead dream. I figure he's got time to go through about one more car before he has to hang up the keys.

This reminds me of the whole Camaro thing. GM quit making it because it wouldn't sell anymore. So later down the road Ford and Dodge go old school, make new cars and GM decides that if they just put a little effort into it they can have the Camaro back. Now that Dodge is doing this I wonder if GM will get their heads out of their asses. I doubt it they'll just probably obey the government, and make bland cars.

Hopefully they will move away from brick styling with tiny greenhouses. I'd love the have the RWD, V8 hardware w/ sleek styling like the 2nd gen LHs.

I would agree.

Chris

Yeah, the Rampage was tiny - mitsubishi-based I think.

Smaller than a Rabbit pickup.

I had friends with each when I was younger. Both were pretty decent little vehicles.

Personally, I'm kind of odd when it comes to pick-em ups. I like Ranchero's and Camino's, I love the realy small trucks and the one ton dually's....but find a basic half ton two wheel drive truck to be about worthless and unappealing.

That is unless it's a classic...right now I am thinking about a 66 Chevy Shorbed stepside I saw for sale...

Chris

Lol i like that dodge one..

caption below the 37 highway and 24 est it says:

"use EPA est. MPG to compare. Your Mileage May Vary. Actual hwy. MPG lower. CA ests. lower."

Anyways Chrysler needs to dig up their old research and build a new turbine car. Thing runs on anything, talk about an alternative fuel using car.

"We will build two sedans this fall... Chrysler LeBaron GTS and Dodge Lancer... That will Challege BMW, Audi, even Mercedes... For thousands less."

I wonder how well that went? I don't think I've ever seen one in person, only read about them. They seem to be long forgotten.

• 2 weeks later...