Can anyone identify what this trailer was used for?

See the topic title; here are the pictures to reference the trailer in question:

DSCN8172.jpg

DSCN8173.jpg

DSCN8174.jpg

I have an idea what it was used for after doing some "brief" Internet research, but I'm not 100% positive that I'm correct. Seeing as how there's a ton of informative people here at C&G, I'd thought I'd post this question.

I do not know.

Observations: rear 'fenders' are extremely makeshift - homemade just for over the road transport?

From the front view- the rear of the trailer seems to be split from side-to-side, yet I see no evidence the trailer 'butterflies' open (and dual axles would make that impossible).

I see the 'cradle'-esque build of the Veed rear crossmember and the huge tires, but there is no corresponding cradle or ledge at the front.

The fact that the rear tires are HUGE has to be significant... but why I can't guess.

Looking forward to the answer...

Booster rockets for the Space Shuttle.

sure that was a serious answer... :P

You'd think the transportation of nuclear arms

would be the job of Pete 379s or Kenworth

W900s... not some lowly Mack. :lol:

It must have been a widget that was lowered onto the trailer, I don't see provisions for a rear ramp.

It if had a 40s military truck cab I'd say it was used to haul UFO parts from Roswell to Area 51 in '48 (under a tarp, though).. :)

Edited by moltar

construction equipment may be out- the trailer deck is open and isn't even as wide as the tractor's track... unless it's for one of those machines who's wheels overhang the sides. Problem is, this is not a lowboy (you cannot drive over the rear tires) and it's not a detachable neck where you can drive up the front.

Rear tires are notably inboard of the tractor's track; wider would add stability if the weight was extreme.

Transport for non-wheeled cargo is a definite.... but what, and why so narrow ?

Too narrow & no support for any sizable boat. The narrowness of it certainly is specialized & limiting...

Most of the girder transports I've seen have had independant rear trucks; the girder becomes the 'trailer frame'.

I wonder if the truck that towed it originally was just as narrow.

Cannot conceive of a reason to have a narrower tractor.

I can.

Sort of.

I remember tractors with Half cabs used to accommodate very long items - the nose cone of a missile for example. Though I've mostly seen them on construction cranes mounted directly to a truck with a continuous frame.

Just brainstorming a bit, I know what I suggest would be hell on right turns. :lol:

As I said in the first post, I thought I found the answer when I looked quickly on the Internet the other day, but now I'm not so sure (I'll share my find in a moment). Of course the easiest answer would have been to ask the Mack truck owner when I was at the show, but at that point I was running low on time and needed to cram in as much as I could before I had to get back on the road. I do know that if the truck & trailer are there again next October, I will definitely ask this time!

Here's what I originally thought it was: one half of a Dragon Wagon. Don't know what a Dragon Wagon is? I didn't until I saw a similar looking trailer picture in a magazine the other day with that caption and Googled it. A Dragon Wagon is a military tank carrier. Here's a picture I found of a diecast model:

dragonwagon2.jpg

dragonwagon5.jpg

But upon closer inspection, the rear wheels are too tall compared to the model pictured above and there is no way to unload the item being carried like on a traditional lowboy.

I also used to see a local steel company's non-articulated trucks with the half-cab, so long steel beams could be transported, but these half cabs were on full-width frames w/ full-width axles; only the cab above the deck height was narrower. I'm sure somewhere there have been narrower tractors for some purpose...

Roger- you of course noticed that the truck next it (apparently) had the same type trailer...

Dragon wagon is a full-width trailer with a deck close enough to the rear tires that a vehicle could be driven up onto it. I still think this one is for non-wheeled cargo...