Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

where would a new Camaro be assembled at?

cavalier36

Does anyone know where a new Camaro would be built at? Im thinking Spring Hill TN, because of the rumors over the summer that the next generation Ion would be built in Lordstown Ohio. the lansing crafte center because the SSR might get axed in the next two years. Doraville Ga if they lose the minivans, maybe Oshwa ontario.. Wilmington Delaware could have some extra capacity..

Wilmington. The Sky and Solstice are on one assembly line, and only are going to account for 35-40k sales annually. The plant has two lines, and 180k capacity, which means there's a line open for the Camaro and 140k units of capacity open, though GM won't plan to sell that many Camaros.

Wilmington. The Sky and Solstice are on one assembly line, and only are going to account for 35-40k sales annually. The plant has two lines, and 180k capacity, which means there's a line open for the Camaro and 140k units of capacity open, though GM won't plan to sell that many Camaros.

would kind of make sense to build them in Wilmington. they probably wont sell 140k camaros a year but im thinking the next generation GTO will be built in the same plant, if its not built in australia.. some sort of sedan eiether a Buick or Pontiac will also likely be built on the same platform.. so if you added the Camaro, GTO and say a Buick sedan it would easily total 140K units..

Some knowledgeable people at the Camaro Z28 boards say that there is a good chance that Wilmington will eventually be closed and production of the Kappa could be moved the Bowling Green, KY Corvette plant. This makes sense since some say that the Corvette and Kappa platforms are very similar and both are low volume platforms.

Canada.

With a V8 and CAFE ratings it is better to import it like the last one. It is either up north or they will have to make sure to sell a lot of V6 car to off set the milage requirements.

[post="38995"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Howcome the same isn't said for the Vette?

Probably because they sell so few of them. There's a big difference between selling 30k Vettes and 100k Camaros if all the Camaros are V8s.

[post="39406"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Good point... so manufacturiing a Camaro out of the states makes it CAFE exempt? or what's the deal?

Why not send the more pollutant, less efficient SUV's etc. outside the US?

(not trying to argue anything, just curious)

Cars built in Canada are considered part of the domestic fleet for CAFE purposes, so CAFE won't be a reason whether or not to build the car in Canada. If for some crazy reason the Camaro were to be produced in Australia, then it would be part of the foreign fleet for CAFE purposes.

I thought Canada was still 4n. When did it change to domestic? I know it used to count in years past. Sorry if I was off on my understanding on this. I would guess they build so many cars up north due to the National health care now? I know it saves them a lot. Edited by hyperv6

I thought Canada was still 4n. When did it change to domestic? I know it used to count in years past. Sorry if I was off on my understanding on this.

I would guess they build so many cars up north due to the National health care now?

I know it saves them a lot.

[post="39958"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

1. Canada and Mexico are domestic (North America).

2. Canada does have a labor advantage as far as health care costs.

3. CAFE is unaffected if Camaro is made in Canada, the US, or Mexico.

National Health Care is strongly supported by manufacturers, business, and unions (odd combination, huh?) because it moves health care off their backs to the government, and frees up money to compete.

Health care organizations oppose it because cheaper health care means the savings has to come out of someone's pocket... theirs or those who depend on them.

CAFE is unaffected if built in North America AND domestic content is over 70%. This all changed since NAFTA was ratified. Before that, Canadian-built vehicles (like the Ford Crown Victoria...the reason production moved to Ontario) were "imported" when averaged into CAFE ratings. There are three CAFE averages: domestic cars, import cars, and trucks.

From what I recall, the Kappa architecture and that of the Corvette are far apart. The Solstice originally was based on the Corvette platform (Y Body) but was later shunned by Chevrolet because the Solstice whooped it in nearly every aspect. That's where the comparison comes into play with the Corvette and Kappa.

Guy,  Scott hinted that Willmington's fat lady hasn't sung yet.  I am just curious what it could be.  Scott is probably not in on to many vehicle line meetings.

[post="42185"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

LOL< saw that too ! Got my fingers ,legs, eyes crossed!

LOL< saw that too ! Got my fingers ,legs, eyes crossed!

[post="42201"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What if Sigma lite production was started with just the Chevy coupe in 08 that would take up about 70-80 k units, conservative numbers. Put that with A sedan at 100K per year and that plant is full. 25-30K Kappas and 170K Sigma lites.

What if Sigma lite production was started with just the Chevy coupe in 08 that would take up about 70-80 k units, conservative numbers.  Put that with A sedan at 100K per year and that plant is full.  25-30K Kappas and 170K Sigma lites.

Or what if "Kappa Plus" entered production? Just saying...

Or what if "Kappa Plus" entered production? Just saying...

[post="42939"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I would sh*t a brick!

Edit: Seriously that would be a shocker. It would sure ease the minds of the Willmington workers. Perhaps Kappa plus isn't as directly tied to Kappa. Was the Torano a test bed for more than the VE's looks?

Answers please. Edited by 91z4me

From the information I knew, Holden took Kappa and did what they wanted to it, without GM's approval. In the end, what you had was a Torana concept that shared very little with the original kappa architecture. It was a completly different architecture by the time all was said and done.

From the information I knew, Holden took Kappa and did what they wanted to it, without GM's approval.

In the end, what you had was a Torana concept that shared very little with the original kappa architecture. It was a completly different architecture by the time all was said and done.

[post="42977"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I know that but who is to say a new unibody couldn't be used? A new unibody using the same suspension and electronics shouldn't be to expensive. And it could be assembled in the same factory, albeit a different line, as the 2 seat Kappa.

Kappa Plus!! Big time exclamation point for that. I would be all for it, certainly GM NEEDS a small to mid-size RWD architecture, if anything for balance and for more luxury/performance cars. In a perfect world Pontiac would be ten times more aggressive than Mazda is and with performance from a RWD, correctly layed out drivetrain. A pocket rocket with RWD about the size of an Astra would do perfectly, act as Pontiac's competitor to the 1-series and give GM another entrant in the 15-24k market, along with having that perceived image of being exclusive thanks to RWD. This car could then spawn a larger Buick S40 sized Skylark, to compete with those cars.....and a Cadillac that would be 3-series sized, but with Cadillac acctrouments standard. So basically the same cars for all three, but engine configurations and very different tuning and interior/exterior presentations would yield significantly different cars, rather like Ford does with the Euro Focus. I can dream, can't I. Bottom line: GM needs more RWD platforms and a smaller to middle size RWD platform makes so much business sense in so many different ways.

I recently posted on GMI: "The rumors on the various message boards is that a Camaro would share its platform with a Chevrolet sedan and possibly sedans for Buick or Pontiac."

Hudson responded: "That's not what it looks like currently. And it's not based on the GTO either."

So maybe it's "Kappa Plus."

Hudson's post here is also interesting -

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...936&#entry42936

But will Chevrolet ever get a big RWD sedan? Edited by ehaase

A few different things of note there. GTO would be seperate from all three? He specifically notes it won't share with GTO, as an aside from the Sigma-lite Chevy and Pontiac sedan talk. GTO on VE imported from China anyone? VE imported from China makes a lot of sense, though I know from what guionM has been saying VE will eventually look a lot like our Sigma-lite and become global. also interesting is he doesn't deny the existance of the platform for Chevy and Pontiac sedans, as in Sigma-lite. Finally, this talk about Kappa Plus, and Wilmington getting a lot more product. Intriguing indeed....

A few different things of note there. GTO would be seperate from all three? He specifically notes it won't share with GTO, as an aside from the Sigma-lite Chevy and Pontiac sedan talk. GTO on VE imported from China anyone? VE imported from China makes a lot of sense, though I know from what guionM has been saying VE will eventually look a lot like our Sigma-lite and become global. also interesting is he doesn't deny the existance of the platform for Chevy and Pontiac sedans, as in Sigma-lite. Finally, this talk about Kappa Plus, and Wilmington getting a lot more product. Intriguing indeed....

[post="43147"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

From what I have been reading lately, I have doubts that there will be a next gen GTO. I really hope thats not true though.

I don't think GM will be giving up on the GTO. It can and probably will take a hiatus of a couple years at max, but it will come back almost without a doubt in my mind. The nameplate is very recognized in the USA, and GM brought it back successfully, the image of this car has been reignited and research will show that this car can be even more successful given the right circumstances. Already, GTO is creating a scene with drifters and the aftermarket. It's one of the only cars keeping Pontiac's image afloat.

sounds promising then for chevy's lineup....but kappa plus would be great for everyone else, too.....and it could be used throughout the world. It is good to hear that GM is solidifying plans to use RWD throughout, I just wish these decisions and reactions would have come much much sooner. We could be looking at an all new Pontiac and Buick lineup right now if Kappa plus was a reality already, not to mention holden opel and cadillac...

I know that but who is to say a new unibody couldn't be used?  A new unibody using the same suspension and electronics shouldn't be to expensive.  And it could be assembled in the same factory, albeit a different line, as the 2 seat Kappa.

[post="43038"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Is this true? Isn't this esentially what has been done with Sigma and Sigma-lite. Different unibody, same suspension, different components? Could this be done with Kappa?

Is this true? Isn't this esentially what has been done with Sigma and Sigma-lite. Different unibody, same suspension, different components? Could this be done with Kappa?

[post="43652"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Kappa uses Sigma rear end and a different SLA front suspension. Anything can be done the question is is it being done