nzr

And it's finally been done. :metal:

400hp V8 Solstice
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Source: MallettCars.com
Standard features include:

The base package costs $18,000 on top of the $20,000 base from Pontiac, so $38,000. Only 100 will be built this year according to Mallett.

Standered:
* 400 HP V8 LS2 Engine - Aluminum block engine rated at 400 HP @ 6,000 RPM and 400 LB-FT @ 4,400 RPM
* Luk Gold Clutch
* Mallett-Penske non-adjustable shocks
* Short Throw Shifter
* High Performance Brake Pads
* Stainless Steel Brake Lines
* World famous Mallett body graphics
* Mallett graphics embroidered on seat headrests
* Show Car Detailing
* Mallett serial number plaque
* Professionally installed, tested and tuned by Mallett's experienced crew to exacting tolerences
* 2-year 24,000 mile warranty

Options include:

* 6 Speed Tremac Transmission with 3 different gear ratio options
* 19 inch Alloy Wheels and Tires
* Mallett-Penske Double Adjustable Shocks and Coilovers
* Sway Bars
* Transmission and Differential Coolers
* Stainless Steel High-Flow Exhaust
* 3.73 Limited Slip Differential
* Heavy-Duty 4 Core Radiator
* Supercharger
* Turbocharger

The most amazing part to me? The $38k pricetag! Conversions like that usually raise the overall price to an insane level, but the Solstice is so affordable to begin with, it STILL seems like a bargain at $38k--and with a LS2 to boot!! I really like the original, but would GLADLY take a monster V8 over a little 4-cyl ANY day of the week :metal:

Perhaps Josh should have ante'd up some more dough and got one of these babies.....

400hp solstice..that frickin rocks.  INSANE.  sweet.

nice mullet.....er, mallett!

is this thing a nose hog (heavy front end?)

[post="39137"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

From what I understand, this Solstice is done straight from Mallet. Usually, GM will work with Mallet on tuner vehicles to learn things, however in this case, no go.

Should I have ponied up more bucks? Nah. I'm perfectly content with my SOL making 177hp. If I wanted to switch it up....mine's still a base model....meaning only $18,000 more dollars and i'm still at V8 Sol territory.

I'm not a Pontiac Fan but I'm a Gm Fan! That looks gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, only if the rest of GM relizes that another brand besides Saturn needs a convertible, they would be turning some profits. Maybe Chevy could have a new retro styled 400bhp LS2 V8 Nova convertible! That would be awsome. But, I do have to hand it to Lutz for designing the Solstice and how fast it was produced. Good job!

I love this thing too. I was reading about it a few weeks ago on the Mallet website and I wanted one so bad. Then I was talking to someone who pointed out that the C6 Corvette only costs a few thousand more, probably only weighs a few lbs more, probably handles better and has a real warranty from Chevy. Don't get me wrong, this V8 Soltice is awesome and exclusive. But since so many things have to be upgraded to accept the motor, the price gets a little out of control. If you could have it for under 30K, that would be amazing because it would completely separate it from the Vette. I'd still take one though. Edited by novajeff69

That is frick'n sweet. Everybody remember, though, the Solstice isn't that light. Throw a V8 into the mix and you've got something that doesn't weigh much less than a C5 Z06, only the Corvette would have bigger rubber to handle all that power.

Ok, as for how fast it will be... It is going to weigh a bit more than a stock Solstice due to the bigger engine and wheels at least. So figure on about 3000 lbs. That is about 2000 less than the Vette? Now, I'm sure the suspension improvements will help, but the new Vette was built for that engine...the Solstice might lose a very small bit of acceleration in that it might not handle the power quite as well as the vette. Either way, probably enough to balance out that with the 200 lb advantage it has with the vette. So overall, I'd expect it to post very very close numbers to the stock vette. 0-60 in the mid 4's....quareter mile in the mid to high 12's (might be another tick slower through the quarter mile than the vette...due to the added wind resistance at the higher speeds with the convertible not being as slick as the vette).

The modern day Shelby Corbra! B)

[post="39090"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

..i never really thought about it, but there ARE some similarities between the 2:

-circluar headlights (solstice's are a circle with outer chrome shnitz)
-2 seat roadster
-grilles aren't too different (beside the pontiac's being 2-part)
-proportions are fairly close
-semi-long hood
-VERY lightweight

tell me what you think
-camaroman22

This does settle the rumors that a V8 wouldn't be able to fit into a Kappa.  I even read that it would be possible to shove an LS7 in their too.

But yeah, I can't wait to see the numbers on this beast...it has to fly with 400hp!

[post="39324"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wow..I agree...

I'd just be afraid it would flip over with that much power...

you know....this is like my friends that like to go and shove 454s into S10s and stuff. Its hilarious, fun, and makes for one hell of a sleeper. Or like the friend that has a '74 Caprice with the GMPP crate 572 shoved into it with a Wieland 8-71 blower tucked on top of it. And what better way to make it Pontiac's REAL performance monster than to cram that LS2 under the hood of the Solstice

Thats great and all but the solstice has a crowd of mid life crisis car buyers that wont blow their bank on it. So its 40 year olds that speed doesnt matter. Also keep insurance down. My father sold his 69 mach 1 mustang because he lost intrest in speed. He veiws the solstice as his vette. It has just enogh power so nothing is wasted. He said if I wanted speed I would have signed for that ZO6 yesterday. Good work buddy of mine had a 69 nova with a 427 in it. only one seat no interior. barely street leagal car he drove every day. Sold it and bought a Malibu. So is V8 in Solstice a good Idea? Yes and No at the same time. But hey it will beat that Sh*tty Mazda now :lol: :AH-HA_wink:

Wait does it still have power brakes and power steering? How does all that fit? Is over heating going to be a problem? Even warping of the hood after a long day at the track? hmmm....

Ha!  When I saw this V8 Solstice, I thought of the Nomad concept.  It's the king of the Kappa. B)

[post="39572"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

And my ideal car. Being one of the masses that can only afford, (or want the trouble of)
less than two cars, I REALLY want a sports car with room in it. That is the Nomad on the nose!
That said, the V8 Solstice IS awesome! Wonder how it can stay on the road without the tire/wheel upgrade? Edited by heintz

The Solstice has 245s, but I'm guessing you could put wider tires on it if you wanted to.

[post="42616"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

To plant 400 hp and launch well you will definately need wider tires. And they need to be performance tires not runflats, drag radials for instance.