Winter Driving

Actually the old B-bodys are front heavy too. I thought I saw a figure of 67% of the weight is on the front and 33% on the back. Again much as I love my 2 old B-bodies I wouldnt want to drive them on snow when the Impala to me is far superior in staying steady. Found that out last week when I was driving on about 6 inches of snow and more falling. The Impala didnt flinch.

I drove 6 winters in NE Ohio from '88-94 w/ RWD exclusively, an '86 LX Mustang and an '83 Caprice... I ran snow tires all the away around and a few bags of QuikCrete mix in the trunk for ballast. Got around pretty well. After moving to Michigan in '94, I got my first 4x4 SUV (Bronco II) and have had an SUV since then.

My last FWD car, the ION, had a very restrictive traction control system. In 4 inches of snow, I couldn't go anywhere because the damn thing kept cutting fuel, I couldn't spin the wheels to gain traction, it just sat there and bogged itself down to nothing. I expect to make out better with this Cobalt sans nannies, and according to the weather forecast, I might get my chance to try it out this week.

It started snowing at 2am Wed. morning and didn't stop till Wed. night at about 11pm and left us over two feet of snow. Unlike most people I live on a dirt road that doesn't get get plowed and the nearest paved road that gets plowed is 1 mile away so it's not like you can dig the 30' driveway and drive off. At about noon after it melted a little I decided to dig a path to my suburban and dig it out and see how much snow I can plow down to see if I can at least get to the front gate. I didn't get more than ten feet and started sliding towards the house. :nono: So I say screw it an dig out behind it and lay chains out. and get all chained up. I get plowing and get to the front gate back up make a path back to the house and as I'm coming around to turn towards the house I get stuck. :banghead: I try a few times and I can't get out I'm down digging in the dirt so now my truck is stuck out next to my house and is probably going to be there till I try again tomorrow.

PICTURES!

Looking from my front gate back towards the house.

winter08-09063.jpg

Looking from my front gate back towards the back of the property.

winter08-09064.jpgP

Looking towards the other side of my property.

winter08-09065.jpg

Where I got my truck stuck.

winter08-09062.jpg

We got a few inches of snow yesterday, and I got my first go with the Mercury in it. This being the first RWD car I've driven, I have to say, I don't see what all the bitching is about. Sure, the tail breaks free and wiggles more easily than a FWD car, but that's fun! Just drive it differently than a FWD, use the brain and common sense, and it's no problem. Also, even with bad tires I had no problem driving it around and getting it up our hill.

Tomorrow we're gonna drive it through the big storm tomorrow...and now it's got a couple of snow tires on the back and good regular tires up front. :metal:

Wanna find a big, empty, snow covered place and do some power sliding!

We got a few inches of snow yesterday, and I got my first go with the Mercury in it. This being the first RWD car I've driven, I have to say, I don't see what all the bitching is about. Sure, the tail breaks free and wiggles more easily than a FWD car, but that's fun! Just drive it differently than a FWD, use the brain and common sense, and it's no problem. Also, even with bad tires I had no problem driving it around and getting it up our hill.

Tomorrow we're gonna drive it through the big storm tomorrow...and now it's got a couple of snow tires on the back and good regular tires up front. :metal:

Wanna find a big, empty, snow covered place and do some power sliding!

Yes..and donuts! Lots of fun. I used to hoon around in my Caprice and Mustang LX in college....find empty parking lots after a big snow.... almost clipped a light pole doing that.