GM Admits it screwed up

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNew...=22&sp=true

GM says it "disappointed" and "betrayed" consumers

Mon Dec 8, 2008 8:40am EST

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp on Monday unveiled an unusually frank advertisement acknowledging it had "disappointed" and sometimes even "betrayed" American consumers as it lobbies to clinch the federal aid it needs to stay afloat into next month.

The print advertisement marked a sharp break from GM's public stance of just several weeks ago when it sought to justify its bid for a U.S. government on the grounds that the credit crisis had undermined its business in ways executives could never have foreseen.

It also came as Chief Executive Rick Wagoner, who has led the automaker since 2000, faces new pressure to step aside as GM seeks up to $18 billion in federal funding.

"While we're still the U.S. sales leader, we acknowledge we have disappointed you," the ad said. "At times we violated your trust by letting our quality fall below industry standards and our designs became lackluster."

The unsigned open letter, entitled "GM's Commitment to the American People" ran in the trade journal Automotive News, which is widely read by industry executives, lobbyists and other insiders.

In the ad, GM admits to other strategic missteps analysts and critics have said hastened its recent decline.

"We have proliferated our brands and dealer network to the point where we lost adequate focus on the core U.S. market," the ad said. "We also biased our product mix toward pick-up trucks and SUVs."

But GM also says in the ad that it was hit by forces beyond its control as it tried to complete a restructuring earlier this year.

"Despite moving quickly to reduce our planned spending by over $20 billion, GM finds itself precariously and frighteningly close to running out of cash," the ad says.

A failure of GM would deepen the current recession and put "millions of job at risk," according to the ad, which also highlights the automaker's pledged restructuring and intention to begin repaying taxpayers in 2011.

GM spokesman Greg Martin said the ad was an attempt by the automaker to present "a pledge directly to the public."

"We believe we need to deliver this commitment unfiltered since quite a bit of media commentary has not kept pace with our actual progress to transform the company," Martin said.

Senate Banking Committee Chairman Christopher Dodd, a Democrat from Connecticut who is central to the effort to craft an auto bailout bill, on Sunday said GM should replace Wagoner.

GM says Wagoner has the support of the company's board.

(Reporting by Kevin Krolicki, editing by Dave Zimmerman)

Has anyone seen this ad?

I just hope they mean it and it isn't just fluff. If they make it through this they need to kick it into high gear. Not only do their products need to be great through the entire lineup, but the whole company needs restructuring. Flexible production facilities, consolidated model lineup, removed legacy costs where possible, more accountability at the top level, new business mission and goals, a change in management style, empower the employees more, and give the engineers and designers more room to work.

I agree with siegan, and hopefully they mean it. This could just be another song and dance routine by the GM PR department. To me, GM's press releases have lost credibility, let's see the actions to back up their words. They have to prove they have changed, not just issue a letter or statement.

Wonderful news, I guess.. :rolleyes:

That just give more people reasons to call GM cars crappy (even the new ones..)

Oh well......

there isn't some kind of anti vendetta thing going on when it comes to GM. it's simply admitting responsibility and claiming the flag to move forward. people out in the country who have dealt with gM know they generally make reliable vehicles, otherwise they'd be in a much worse position. GM has a good loyalty rate, if not for the fact that the cars run well this would not happen.

by admitting quality has had hiccups [read the line it says this in other words] and that design has been a big drawback, then they are taking responsiblity, and by doing this could incur good will. plus if they're willing to acknowledge a problem, that means hopefully showing they understand the depth of thier situation and how to get out of it.

i do believe it's fair for people to judge GM to not be the best automaker out there. i also beleive it's fair for GM to admit they should have always been the best, and have not been.

More than anyone it is the GM's lawyers who should be fired. From holding out performance models, to finding anything which can be legacy issue to this brilliant idea :rolleyes: things just get better from GM.

What were these guys thinking?

I never asked this to you ZL-1, but what do you think of this entire bailout fiasco? If you feel you would like to not to display your viewpoint PM me. I am curious to hear POV of a non American consultant.

Edited by smallchevy

I never asked this to you ZL-1, but what do you think of this entire bailout fiasco? If you feel you would like to not to display your viewpoint PM me. I am curious to hear POV of a non American consultant.

Former consultant, now working for a mining company. :AH-HA_wink:

And I have no problem saying what I think on a public forum.

I am against it in principle (I don't like the idea of poorly managed companies getting taxpayer's hard earned money) and I'd be a really pissed off American taxpayer right now, but I understand that it is happening because of the sheer political weight these 3 companies have and because many suppliers will implode with a collapse of the Detroit 3. So let's hope they make good use of that money.

Edited by ZL-1

This is not a bad move.

Before you get any credibility you have to acknowledge your problems and past failures.

Then you are given a chance to prove you have corrected your problems and errors.

Kind of the show me status and prove ypur worth to consumer.

If you move ahead as if nothing happened people will still question that you have learned nothing.

GM needs to prove they are going to do buisness in a new way and fix the slow moving conservitive ways they have been acting.

They now need to direct and confront their errored ways and make sure people take note. Let them see how your building cars and don't just meet their expectations but exceed them.

GM has a lot to learn from Hyundia and turning around a company. Great prices on very good cars is the key. Value at a lower price is what scares Toyota and Honda.

Notice that this is the 2nd or 3rd time GM has had to apologize for manager problems and lackluster products that are pre-Wagoner?

Yes, it's kind of Sad. Wagoner's been in for 8 years, so I think it also covers the G5, G6, Lacrosse(styling), Lurcerne(styling), DTS, Colorado, Canyon, Vibe, Torrent, Ion, etc... There have been plenty of great vehicles with Awful styling over the last eight years.

Yes, it's kind of Sad. Wagoner's been in for 8 years, so I think it also covers the G5, G6, Lacrosse(styling), Lurcerne(styling), DTS, Colorado, Canyon, Vibe, Torrent, Ion, etc... There have been plenty of great vehicles with Awful styling over the last eight years.

it's sad and amazing and at once laughable that thier problems could be summed up so equivocally and concisely, but there it is. fundamentally none of these were bad vehicles, but they had terrible styling, inside and out, poor attention to the function of styling inside and out through the use of good quality materials on the interior and forward thinking designs on the outside.

great vehicles with awful styling.

Who's blaming Toyota? They make a quality product and simply took advantage of opportunities along the way. The blame falls squarely on the shoulders of the UAW. The mistakes GM made were centered on not having the balls to be willing to let the company go down 20 years ago when there WAS a GM to fight for. They should have killed the UAW years ago or gone down fighting. Instead they took the approach of sleeping with the enemy while the house burned down. Now it's a former shadow of itself with a mere fraction of its market share being crushed by debt and obligations so enormous there's really no legitimate chance of survival. And now the ultimate humiliation to be begging to taxpayers for cash to survive a few months more. Oh what a wonderful thing the union has wrought.

Now when are GM fans going to quit blaming Toytoa for GM's (now admitted) mistakes?
Edited by ellives

Have you never read C&G? Everyone here blames Toyota.

this despite the fact that everytime GM issues one of these apologies, a consensus seems to build that this is right thing to do and GM's marketing is addressing failures. then within a month everything goes back, "GM has never done a bad thing ever. it's the media. it's all one big black hole conspiracy. everyone's out to get GM. they are this decade's AREA 51. i mean could anyone fathom having more important things to do than bring down GM. impossible [spanish accent]!~!!"

At the introduction of each new generation of Camry, Toyota announces that they either over built or lately under built and cheapened that generation. Volkswagen admits that its cars have been unreliable and promise improvements. It seems to me that GM's statement was more muted than these examples.

it's sad and amazing and at once laughable that thier problems could be summed up so equivocally and concisely, but there it is. fundamentally none of these were bad vehicles, but they had terrible styling, inside and out, poor attention to the function of styling inside and out through the use of good quality materials on the interior and forward thinking designs on the outside.

great vehicles with awful styling.

Irronically though if you compare these vehilces against the mid 2000's Toyota's, Kia's, Hyundai's.... the GM products looked pretty darn good.

I rented a Cobalt 2 door in Maui for a week and liked it. Sure, some inside parts were so-so, but it is no 1982 J car as some think. And next gen is 18 months coming, not 7 years away.

I've had a couple Cobalt rentals in the last year and thought they were fine...decent little car. Much nicer than the last Cavalier rental ('03 I think) I drove.

This is :bs:

When Toyota runs an ad about how unethical it's business practices are and when the government runs an ad about how they suck so bad at their ONE task that they allowed the economy to crash, then maybe this ad would be appropriate.

This is NOTHING MORE THAN AMMUNITION FOR THE JADED PRESS TO 'HAVE A LITTLE MORE FUN' DESTROYING GM'S IMAGE IN THE EYES OF THE PUBLIC.

The first "touchy, feely" campaign didn't work... It made GM an even bigger laughing stock. And, just as they did with the first campaign, the media will capitalize on this.

Let me put it to you in psychological terms; this is JUST what the media and jaded public needs to REINFORCE their horrible perception of GM through CONFIRMATION BIAS This is just the ammo they need to write GM off entirely....

And while we're at it; here is a term that can sum up government and the japanese companies: SELF-SERVING BIAS

(P.S. I can't tap you guys into academic journals, so wikipedia it must be)

this despite the fact that everytime GM issues one of these apologies, a consensus seems to build that this is right thing to do and GM's marketing is addressing failures. then within a month everything goes back, "GM has never done a bad thing ever. it's the media. it's all one big black hole conspiracy. everyone's out to get GM. they are this decade's AREA 51. i mean could anyone fathom having more important things to do than bring down GM. impossible [spanish accent]!~!!"

No one here gives GM a free pass. In fact, people bitch more about mundane issues here than on most ALL INCLUSIVE automotive websites.

IN GENERAL: I get so tired of the import people coming on here to say "what now" in threads like this.

If you guys can't see the bias in the media and the unfair advantages that the 'transplants' have, then you're blind.

Did GM screw up?!?! Of course they did! No one here denies that (No one that I know of) but the fact remains that 95% of GM's vehicles over the last 15-20 years have excelled at what they do, yet the BIAS still remains.

Can you honestly sit there and tell me that MOST of the public doesn't stereotype GM and it's buyers a certain way?!?! Because I can show you footage of CONGRESS that says otherwise. If our supposed LEADERS don't even have a clue, then what makes you think that the public/media perception is based in any sort of reality?

I think some of you just can't stand the fact that a lot of us are so loyal to GM and what it represents. You think we are shallow minded 'redneck localites' that drive 1990s Roadmasters around our 500 person town and "just 'don't get it."

All of this assumption is because we value the history of this (ONCE) great nation, the history of innovation that GM has fostered, the sustainability of the middle class and the pride of employing thousands and CREATING something that changed the world. (And will once again change the world when the Volt comes down the production line)

To you I say; continue to hold your 'grudge' and watch you quality of life go down the drain, because with the mindset that you and your fellow americans hold, it's going to be a good show!

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

That's the double edged sword: even if it were true that GM built crap, the sheer number of former customers, the media etc. that are rooting for GM to fail is astounding. It's a whole bunch of 'cutting your nose off to spite your face, IMO' Nothing exemplifies the American dream than GM and Ford. So go they, so will go the American way of life - plain and simple.

This chipping away at the American way of life by Wal-Mart over the past decade has been death by a thousand cuts, but if Detroit fails, it will be one swift blow. There will be immediate effects (lay-offs by the hundreds of thousands), followed by long term effects (nowhere for future engineers, metalurgists, etc. to find jobs as they graduate.)

I've never 'blamed' Toyota. I have a visceral loathing of Japan and the way it conducts business. There are thousands of examples, beyond the auto industry. One need look no further than the fact the Chinese don't trust them - and they are their neighbors! Toyota is merely the largest of the invaders from Japan and, therefore, the biggest target.

I do, however, blame the lazy, jaded media. I do blame so-called enthusiasts who lust after $150k exotic cars and trash everything else. I do blame myopic journalists who drive anything from Detroit with an already pre-conceived notion of what they are going to report. I do blame stupid people who base their opinions on what Detroit builds today on their last Detroit vehicle (usually a '82 Fairmont or Citation - if they can even remember what it was!)

I've kept a journal for 30 some-odd years, and I know only too well how flawed human memory is. If you repeat a story often enough, with some embellishments for dramatic effect, those 'embellishments' become actual fact in your memory. I know, because I've gone back and reviewed events in my life from 20, 30 years ago and been shocked at details I'd forgotten or BS I'd added. I've challenged customers who bitch about their service costs, only to discover they are exaggerating or lying; and we all know what happens when people are cornered - they become more belligerent!

But the bottom line is, as a society, we have become selfish and lazy. Most are unwilling to look beyond the headlines and are very easily swayed by clever PR people - and that is something that Japan Inc has taken advantage of very well over the past couple decades. As outsiders, they have done a better job of seeing our strengths and weaknesses, and as an 'open' society we have allowed them to walk all over us.

That's the double edged sword: even if it were true that GM built crap, the sheer number of former customers, the media etc. that are rooting for GM to fail is astounding. It's a whole bunch of 'cutting your nose off to spite your face, IMO' Nothing exemplifies the American dream than GM and Ford. So go they, so will go the American way of life - plain and simple.

This chipping away at the American way of life by Wal-Mart over the past decade has been death by a thousand cuts, but if Detroit fails, it will be one swift blow. There will be immediate effects (lay-offs by the hundreds of thousands), followed by long term effects (nowhere for future engineers, metalurgists, etc. to find jobs as they graduate.)

I've never 'blamed' Toyota. I have a visceral loathing of Japan and the way it conducts business. There are thousands of examples, beyond the auto industry. One need look no further than the fact the Chinese don't trust them - and they are their neighbors! Toyota is merely the largest of the invaders from Japan and, therefore, the biggest target.

I do, however, blame the lazy, jaded media. I do blame so-called enthusiasts who lust after $150k exotic cars and trash everything else. I do blame myopic journalists who drive anything from Detroit with an already pre-conceived notion of what they are going to report. I do blame stupid people who base their opinions on what Detroit builds today on their last Detroit vehicle (usually a '82 Fairmont or Citation - if they can even remember what it was!)

I've kept a journal for 30 some-odd years, and I know only too well how flawed human memory is. If you repeat a story often enough, with some embellishments for dramatic effect, those 'embellishments' become actual fact in your memory. I know, because I've gone back and reviewed events in my life from 20, 30 years ago and been shocked at details I'd forgotten or BS I'd added. I've challenged customers who bitch about their service costs, only to discover they are exaggerating or lying; and we all know what happens when people are cornered - they become more belligerent!

But the bottom line is, as a society, we have become selfish and lazy. Most are unwilling to look beyond the headlines and are very easily swayed by clever PR people - and that is something that Japan Inc has taken advantage of very well over the past couple decades. As outsiders, they have done a better job of seeing our strengths and weaknesses, and as an 'open' society we have allowed them to walk all over us.

"The American Dream" and that way of life has been under attack from the 'educated' lot for a LONG time now.

It's almost like a "well, isn't that a nice little sheltered life you have there" rebellion against everything that made this country great. They preach "live simple" but 'living simply' to them isn't a decent paying job, pride in hard work or involvement in the community. No, THEIR version of 'living simple' is buying a Honda Civic in an attempt to SAVE our national security... (Less oil use) 'Living simple' is adopting an african baby in an attempt to stave off hunger (when thousands of americans starve to death each year) Their version of 'living simple' is buying it cheaper at Wal-Mart so they can save a little bit of money to buy carbon credits from the EU. (REMEMBER, the latest Wal-Mart marketing??! "live simple") And thanks to MISUSE of things like 'freedom of speech' we've allowed this to happen BELIEVING that their would never be any consequences.

It's a sell-out mentality, either out of spite or out of ignorance. How can we fix the world when our empire is falling out from under us? But no, they don't care about that because they've somehow through their 'education' deemed "The American Dream" unworthy of saving. I say we let them cut their own throats. I'm a survivor and I'm willing to endure for the sake of taking these people out of power/influence.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Can you honestly sit there and tell me that MOST of the public doesn't stereotype GM and it's buyers a certain way?!?! Because I can show you footage of CONGRESS that says otherwise. If our supposed LEADERS don't even have a clue, then what makes you think that the public/media perception is based in any sort of reality?

I think some of you just can't stand the fact that a lot of us are so loyal to GM and what it represents. You think we are shallow minded 'redneck localites' that drive 1990s Roadmasters around our 500 person town and "just 'don't get it."

I can't speak for others here, but i personally spend a lot less time thinking this over than you think. i don't let myself come up with assumptions about anyone, but i do let them show me who they are. i can't say that doesn't often end up in me being able to typify some aspect of thier lives in a common set, but that is humanity, we are all alike in one way or another.

let me also say something about stereotypes and perception: at some level down to the fundamental piece of a stereotype, there is at least a kernel of truth to it. they are based in reality.

the perception is out there that GM builds crap cars. a lot of people tend to agree on this without anyone telling them the truth. tell me did GM revolutionize interiors and engine efficiency to stem the tide of this perception? I could spend more time giving you examples but if this one doesn't jump out at you, then right now i don't care to spend the time. also, you may have to take your GM blinders. no, improved efficiency on the gas guzzling v8s doesn't count, as that is not an efficient market or engine in the first place. in order to be perceived as efficient you have to be in the efficient category, not the one most rightfully perceive to be gas inefficient.

on the other hand people out there have a perception that honda builds incredibly durable product that never breaks down. have they built lemon after lemon models in order to go against this accepted form of common wisdom? did they support the theory by building doors that shut right with a solid feel, spend money on simple things like the window glass shutting to keep all air inside [this is a honda method keeps the cabin airtight like a plane, keeps my car less cold inside than others i know of], do they spend money where it counts updating platform and engine components consistently?

Britney Spears spent a lot of time acting trashy, so people thought that about her. now she is much more guarded and living a life less in the public eye, so the perception has changed and people have accepted her more for the positive things she seeks to portray, on top of that the negative talk has quieted. how the people perceive is ultimately most in the control of the subject.

Edited by turbo200

I don't blame Toyota for anything. I hate Toyota with a passion for its boring uninspired cars and the boring uninspired people that buy them.

you're not among those he was referring to. you belong to a less partisan group that looks at cars for what they are, without affectation to one particular brand or company.

I have never blamed Toyota except for building cars that lack any sort of personality. I blame Toyota for trying to talk out of both sides of there mouth with the "green" Prius (which isn't that green at all...) and the "tough" Tundra. It can't be all things to all people, they keep building cars that actually are worse than the previous generation look at the Camry's of the world. The 02-06 was by far a better quality car many agree and they cheapend them again on the 07-up models. Toyota wants to be as American as Chevrolet, that bothers me. It also bothers me that when we needed Detriot to help fight a war they were here for us. Now it is our time to help them. People have lost pride in our country and our products, the new Malibu is a product GM and America should be proud off. No doubt. Toyota's are often over-rated by the press and the car rags and really the quality gap that the domestics did have, has been closed. Toyota by default isn't better as many want you too beleive. Don't get me wrong GM made mistakes, but buying American is neither a dem or republican thing it is AMERICAN. So to all the forigen car drivers out there, you can stick it. I don't like Toyota because they are so over-rated and Honda/Nissan products are better and people still think Toyota is better. :unitedstates:

Edited by gm4life

The media wants us to become as un-patriotic as possible, and wants us to be so "correct", hell I can't even say Merry Christmas any-more. This is what the world wants, or they want us the believe we should want or we are close minded. Close minded my a$$, it is freedom. The folks want to take away rights, and make us into some "perfect" world, they want us to not be proud of our county and what we have done and hate it. Including American products.

I want American products, but I am in the minority. Look at tools...everyone seems to want to run off to Harbor Frieght to buy imported junk that is junk.

When I buy a tool I want it to feel right in my hand and last. I don't mind buying a Japanese Dovetail saw or a German router...but I hate the Chinese junk that seems to be flooding the tool market.

Chris

I am proud to support American Companies. My tools I buy from Sears as I love the Craftsmen quality.

My Auto's are all american. At 6'6" tall 275 I am not a small person and will never fit comfortably into a small auto.

1994 GMC Suburban, 1998 Dodge Dakota, 1999 Dodge Durango, 2004 SRX, 2005 CTS, 2006 Escalade ESV Platinum and 2006 H2 Hummer.

As american as I can get. :D

no, improved efficiency on the gas guzzling v8s doesn't count, as that is not an efficient market or engine in the first place. in order to be perceived as efficient you have to be in the efficient category, not the one most rightfully perceive to be gas inefficient.

So, the strides that GM has made to appease the LARGE percentage of the market that wants/needs V8s doesn't count because it doesn't fit the 'yuppie definition of efficiency'?

See, that's why I get so mad about people in this country. You sit there and tell me to take off my GM blinder when you're too blind to see your own flawed categorization. THAT is the inherent culture in this country, EVERYONE is a hypocrit. And it's about to bite them in the ass.

on the other hand people out there have a perception that honda builds incredibly durable product that never breaks down. have they built lemon after lemon models in order to go against this accepted form of common wisdom?

Maybe...

Had the transmission issues ACTUALLY made the mass media, th perception might've changed. Same thing with all of the defective Toyotas that the internet has been firing up about lately. But know, it's hard to bring the silver bullet in when there are built in metal detectors. The media will NOT ALLOW the perception to change and they'll do ANYTHING, even reporting LIES, to stop it from changing.

I don't know why the media hates Detroit so badly. I can't explain why their is such a solidified and almost PLANNED hatred of the domestics among specific demographics. (Demographics which all happen to control popular culture, not surprisingly) But nonetheless, we're reduced to reading Cimarron references in an article about the forthcoming BTS.

Really?!?!? Give me a break!!!

Britney Spears spent a lot of time acting trashy, so people thought that about her. now she is much more guarded and living a life less in the public eye, so the perception has changed and people have accepted her more for the positive things she seeks to portray, on top of that the negative talk has quieted. how the people perceive is ultimately most in the control of the subject.

People don't just PERCEIVE... It isn't that easy. They are fed opinions that skew perception. Now, does this immediately affect opinion? Not really, but hey, we've been reading the WELL REHEARSED "GM is bankrupt" routine for 3 years now, and we all know that if you hear something enough, you'll begin to believe it.

The media wants us to become as un-patriotic as possible, and wants us to be so "correct", hell I can't even say Merry Christmas any-more. This is what the world wants, or they want us the believe we should want or we are close minded. Close minded my a$$, it is freedom. The folks want to take away rights, and make us into some "perfect" world, they want us to not be proud of our county and what we have done and hate it. Including American products.

Globalization...

The more you scatter the superpower, the more control you as a business man (the elites) will have over it.

America HAS no culture now... It's "the melting pot" in which we value where we came from more than what we are. america is nothing more than a $5 whore that serves the purpose of making the rest of the world rich and fat.

And that's what they want... We were the only country that had the ability to fight the WTO, yet we were easily sold on a 'peace, love and happiness' global business model that does nothing more than strip us of our value and ot the empire from the inside out.

It's time to pay the piper

you're not among those he was referring to. you belong to a less partisan group that looks at cars for what they are, without affectation to one particular brand or company.

Everyone has yet to tell me why being loyal to one company is such a bad thing... Especially on a site that is dedicated to the future of that company.

Are you going to sit there and tell me that you're not loyal to Honda after the way you described them in the last post?

See, that's what's wrong with people of this mindset. They ABSOLUTELY cannot accept that someone is different from them. They want HOMOGENY and will push until they get exactly that.

It reminds me of the extreme liberals in my home town... Bitching one day about tolerance and then PROTESTING a church the next day. Hypocritical...

Seeing as how I don't buy new cars and avoid stealership service wherever possible, I don't really support any auto manufacturer. I pay quite a bit more than the average new car costs in taxes every year supporting my country though so if I were to buy a new car, patriotism won't be a factor.

Edited by frogger

"...we acknowledge we have disappointed you,"

NO kidding....

Now, if only they actually meant it........

*sighs*

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"You have all the tender sweetness of a seasick crocodile" ... Thurl Ravenscroft ... 'You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch'

I dont blame toyota for anything other that their ugly-ass cars. They all look like they were really nice cars sculpted from butter, then microwaved for about thirty seconds. The melting look is really "in" apparently.

As for GM, its about time they finally owned up for cars like the Cavalier and Grand Am, cars I loved- but cars that were decades behind the competition and full of hard plastic and jagged edges inside, finished off with ill fitting trim panels.. with "swooping" padded dashes. Its time that they formally appologise for those vehicles and pump a few cruzes and volts out onto the road. We need a new GM, a GM that is struggling to scratch itself out of the coffin and get back behind the automotive industry's wheel. The Cruze is a fine example of this. An absolutely gorgeous small car that gets great mileage and is full of great interior features. The Volt is a fine example too, a really crisp looking economical and environmentally friendly vehicle that WILL change all of this.

We need to give the General another chance, because (at least to all of us) they have proven to be able to produce some beautiful and excellent vehicles. They are still behind the game. Management needs to wake up, smell the coffee and realize that things wont get better until they change. Speed up production of the cruze. Its already built in S. Korea- why not import it until Lordstown can learn how to build it? Same car, cheaper labor. Perhaps this idea has failed only because of the same reason American automobiles have failed in general. The UAW. The UAW is the only thing that makes me want GM to fail. If they go CH7, they can re-organize, get new funding and ditch the UAW all togehter. That is toyota's advanatage.. they dont have to go thru them. I work for a non-union company, It is properly managed, employees get treated great and feel appreciated, and it is the one of the only companies like it that isnt currently failing. Gee, I wonder why. If GM reorganised smartly this would all get better really fast.