GM Admits it screwed up

I dont blame toyota for anything other that their ugly-ass cars. They all look like they were really nice cars sculpted from butter, then microwaved for about thirty seconds. The melting look is really "in" apparently.

As for GM, its about time they finally owned up for cars like the Cavalier and Grand Am, cars I loved- but cars that were decades behind the competition and full of hard plastic and jagged edges inside, finished off with ill fitting trim panels.. with "swooping" padded dashes. Its time that they formally appologise for those vehicles and pump a few cruzes and volts out onto the road. We need a new GM, a GM that is struggling to scratch itself out of the coffin and get back behind the automotive industry's wheel. The Cruze is a fine example of this. An absolutely gorgeous small car that gets great mileage and is full of great interior features. The Volt is a fine example too, a really crisp looking economical and environmentally friendly vehicle that WILL change all of this.

We need to give the General another chance, because (at least to all of us) they have proven to be able to produce some beautiful and excellent vehicles. They are still behind the game. Management needs to wake up, smell the coffee and realize that things wont get better until they change. Speed up production of the cruze. Its already built in S. Korea- why not import it until Lordstown can learn how to build it? Same car, cheaper labor. Perhaps this idea has failed only because of the same reason American automobiles have failed in general. The UAW. The UAW is the only thing that makes me want GM to fail. If they go CH7, they can re-organize, get new funding and ditch the UAW all togehter. That is toyota's advanatage.. they dont have to go thru them. I work for a non-union company, It is properly managed, employees get treated great and feel appreciated, and it is the one of the only companies like it that isnt currently failing. Gee, I wonder why. If GM reorganised smartly this would all get better really fast.

I bought a new Chevy to prove that I have faith in GM. You should too.

I dont blame toyota for anything other that their ugly-ass cars. They all look like they were really nice cars sculpted from butter, then microwaved for about thirty seconds. The melting look is really "in" apparently.

As for GM, its about time they finally owned up for cars like the Cavalier and Grand Am, cars I loved- but cars that were decades behind the competition and full of hard plastic and jagged edges inside, finished off with ill fitting trim panels.. with "swooping" padded dashes. Its time that they formally appologise for those vehicles and pump a few cruzes and volts out onto the road. We need a new GM, a GM that is struggling to scratch itself out of the coffin and get back behind the automotive industry's wheel. The Cruze is a fine example of this. An absolutely gorgeous small car that gets great mileage and is full of great interior features. The Volt is a fine example too, a really crisp looking economical and environmentally friendly vehicle that WILL change all of this.

We need to give the General another chance, because (at least to all of us) they have proven to be able to produce some beautiful and excellent vehicles. They are still behind the game. Management needs to wake up, smell the coffee and realize that things wont get better until they change. Speed up production of the cruze. Its already built in S. Korea- why not import it until Lordstown can learn how to build it? Same car, cheaper labor. Perhaps this idea has failed only because of the same reason American automobiles have failed in general. The UAW. The UAW is the only thing that makes me want GM to fail. If they go CH7, they can re-organize, get new funding and ditch the UAW all togehter. That is toyota's advanatage.. they dont have to go thru them. I work for a non-union company, It is properly managed, employees get treated great and feel appreciated, and it is the one of the only companies like it that isnt currently failing. Gee, I wonder why. If GM reorganised smartly this would all get better really fast.

:Toyota: I dont blame toyota for anything other that their ugly-ass cars. They all look like they were really nice cars sculpted from butter, then microwaved for about thirty seconds. The melting look is really "in" apparently.

Proudly :canada:

Seeing as how I don't buy new cars and avoid stealership service wherever possible, I don't really support any auto manufacturer. I pay quite a bit more than the average new car costs in taxes every year supporting my country though so if I were to buy a new car, patriotism won't be a factor.

Even buying a used import indirectly supports the myth that they hold their value better (the more people demand to buy them used, the higher their prices will go), which then adds to the profits and sales of the new imports. Plus, there will be times when you are unable to buy an after-market used part, which would then mean you require a new part from the OEM, thus adding to their success in Canada. And in a more insidious way, just the large quantity of imports polluting the parking lots these days gives a person thinking about buying a new vehicle that, 'gee, with all these Civics and Corollas around, maybe I should buy one of those because they're so gosh darn popular!'

I suppose you're one of these people who feel 'entitled' to drive across the border and do your shopping in the U.S., because the retailers here are 'robbing' you.

There are a million reasons why the West is in serious decline. We all need to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Exactly, twice I've written a post and then gotten an error message. It just happened 5 minutes ago, but this time I got smart and 'copied' the text first, then re-posted it when I logged off and back on again. Wierd. This has been happening for a few days.

I always blame everything on Vista!

Exactly, twice I've written a post and then gotten an error message. It just happened 5 minutes ago, but this time I got smart and 'copied' the text first, then re-posted it when I logged off and back on again. Wierd. This has been happening for a few days.

I always blame everything on Vista!

I've been getting my Topic Subcription Reply Notification emails duplicated and delayed...just got one a few min ago (1:05pm MT) in my inbox from a post that was from 5:20am.

I don't know why the media hates Detroit so badly. I can't explain why their is such a solidified and almost PLANNED hatred of the domestics among specific demographics. (Demographics which all happen to control popular culture, not surprisingly) But nonetheless, we're reduced to reading Cimarron references in an article about the forthcoming BTS.

I heard a radio interview with Dan Neal? of the Los Angeles Times yesterday. He is the auto media critic that had that big run in with Lutz over the G6 a couple of years back. He made the point that Senator Shelby was NUTS if Shelby thought there would be an auto industry in Alabama after GM went out of business and the tier 1 suppliers went down for the count with them.

Everyone has yet to tell me why being loyal to one company is such a bad thing... Especially on a site that is dedicated to the future of that company.

Are you going to sit there and tell me that you're not loyal to Honda after the way you described them in the last post?

See, that's what's wrong with people of this mindset. They ABSOLUTELY cannot accept that someone is different from them. They want HOMOGENY and will push until they get exactly that.

loyalty is different from blind ignorance....but i digress

for my next car I want a Chevrolet Camaro, or an Audi A1, or a 3-series coupe, or a Mini Cooper S, or my last baby Acura RSX Type-S

If I weren't loyal to GM and believe in thier cause, I wouldn't spend so much of my free time giving them free advice.

Lets hope this sets a precedent. Maybe Nissan will make an apology for assaulting our eyes with the new Cube.

True... but they need to get in line behind Honda,

(Element, Ridgeline, new buck-toothed Acuras)

Toyota, (FJ-Cruiser, Echo, Pretty much every

truck and sedan mdae in the past 8 years... & not

to forget the Scion xB, xA.)

• 3 weeks later...
Former consultant, now working for a mining company. :AH-HA_wink:

And I have no problem saying what I think on a public forum.

I am against it in principle (I don't like the idea of poorly managed companies getting taxpayer's hard earned money) and I'd be a really pissed off American taxpayer right now, but I understand that it is happening because of the sheer political weight these 3 companies have and because many suppliers will implode with a collapse of the Detroit 3. So let's hope they make good use of that money.

So Zl-1 then you would agree that the 1.5 Trillion dollars spent on the financial industry with no strings attached should not have been paid out either.

I personally was against bailing out these financial companies that created this mess. Especially with no accountability and here they have now paid out billions in bonuses to upper mgmt who have used this money to buy other companies and not get capital flowing for small to large businesses. Rich getting Richer and poor getting poorer and people say that loans backed by assets should not be done to the Auto industry but give billions to financial companies that caused this mess.

So much for the Idiot Conservatives that want deregulation. This is what it gets you, careless creation of bad business and the tax payers bailing them out to keep them in place.

Pure Capitalism does not work, neither does Socialism or any other form of control. It will always need to be a balance and some oversight to keep the extreme rich from destroying the world and workers.

• 4 months later...
So much for the Idiot Conservatives that want deregulation. This is what it gets you, careless creation of bad business and the tax payers bailing them out to keep them in place.

Pure Capitalism does not work, neither does Socialism or any other form of control. It will always need to be a balance and some oversight to keep the extreme rich from destroying the world and workers.

+1

Chris

loyalty is different from blind ignorance....but i digress

for my next car I want a Chevrolet Camaro, or an Audi A1, or a 3-series coupe, or a Mini Cooper S, or my last baby Acura RSX Type-S

If I weren't loyal to GM and believe in thier cause, I wouldn't spend so much of my free time giving them free advice.

You're an idiot.