Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Intrepidation

AutoblogGreen achieves 43.1 mpg in 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

16 posts in this topic

fusionhybridabfd_01_opt.jpg

Autoblog

We're in the City of Angels this week to drive a bunch of new Fords, including the new 2010 Mustang and Fusion. We started off Monday afternoon with a mileage challenge in the new 2010 Fusion Hybrid. We can't share our driving impressions until Saturday, but we can tell you the results of the mileage contest. Ford hybrid applications manager Gil Portalatin used his intimate knowledge of the car to set some benchmarks the day before. Ford claims the Fusion will get at least 39 mpg city/ 37 mpg highway when the EPA numbers are calculated in the coming weeks. Portalatin got 46 mpg on the first segment of the drive route and 43.5 mpg on the hillier second part. Among the journalists on hand, Car and Driver's Steve Siler recorded a 43.6 mpg result on the first part. After Drew Phillips and I switched places for the second segment, I achieved 43.1 mpg, which is a very impressive number for Ford's new mid-size sedan.

I know it's about to be replaced, but eat it, Prius. :ohyeah:

Edited by Dodgefan

i forget.. 4 or 6speed..or cvt? the 2.5 isn't DI is it?

this is great. they left room for (easy) improvement too... let's see how the mustang fairs when it gets new powertrain.

Meh...

The media will find some way to write it off...

Maybe the door panels aren't nice enough to rub your nuts on or something.

Not to count, it's made by Ford and "I won't buy another domestic product as long as my tax money is being freely handed out to them."

Ford kills babies and it teh suxor.....

:rolleyes:

I really like this car, and I'm really happy to see the Fuel Economy Numbers! and look: It has red taillamp lenses! :D

The new Fusion looks pretty good and 43 mpg is amazing for a mid-size sedan. The domestics have to get back to selling product attributes, rather than selling discounts and deals. This is a car that can achieve that.

Interested to know if the journalists were driving like normal with some acceleration tests, or were attempting to achieve best fuel economy. Since the article mentioned "mileage challenge", I'm going to assume it was the latter. Which means the mileage when driven normally will be a more realistic mid-high 30's. That would be on par with the Toyota Camry hybrid, which averages 36mpg combined in real world driving.

So the car is capable of low-mid 40's, just as the Prius and HCH are capable of low-mid 50's, although driven normally they will average less.

Interested to know if the journalists were driving like normal with some acceleration tests, or were attempting to achieve best fuel economy.

I would assume they would be trying to maximize fuel economy, maybe hypermiling a bit.

I think it goes until about 42 mph before the engine kicks in, so how much hypermiling can you do at low speeds anyway?

I think it goes until about 42 mph before the engine kicks in, so how much hypermiling can you do at low speeds anyway?

Coasting... and the push start technique, I suppose..

Awesome, that's really good mileage for a vehicle that size. Ford's got a hit on its hands.

And I don't think they were necessarily lightfooting the pedal the entire time. Look at the Camry Hybrid on fueleconomy.gov: it's only rated 33/34, but the average among 11 drivers is 36.1 in combined driving. It could very well be that manufacturers are slightly underrating cars now due to the whole fiasco a couple years ago with the mpg adjustments.

I like this car, a lot. Why isn't there a Malibu (2-mode?) hybrid that puts up similar numbers.

hopefully they do that.. but with the 2.3L engine....

i forget.. 4 or 6speed..or cvt? the 2.5 isn't DI is it?

this is great. they left room for (easy) improvement too... let's see how the mustang fairs when it gets new powertrain.

Basically the same 2.5L I-4 & CVT dropped right in directly from the Escape Hybrid. No direct injection at this point. As for the Mustang, eh, nothing much new in that powertrain department.

I like this car, a lot. Why isn't there a Malibu (2-mode?) hybrid that puts up similar numbers.

Good point, the problem (of course, always a problem <_< ) is no production-ready 2-mode powertrain exists that would fit in the Epsilon platform. Really, nothing. I knew that but honestly it never fully struck me until I read the Fusion review today on AutoBlog. At least the mild Hybrid 2.4L system it does have actually can and does get mid to high 30's (and even higher for hyper milers) by real owners. A 2-mode would be a huge help, no doubt, and even I'd drive one in a 'Bu.

Well, except for possibly the new 3.6L 2-mode system in the Vue about to be at dealers that, well, no one knows or cares about...that'd be a beast, but probably semi like the Accord V6 hybrid a few years back.

Actually, 47mph. That's almost full-EV like, if you're a light around town driver, and more of Ford's terrific work from the past couple of years...well, also considering the jump start they got by sourcing their base design from Toyota's patent, or however that worked.

43mpg in the hands of big time reviewers is impressive on all accounts. Takes me back a year to the month long rental I had of an '07 Malibu with the 2.2L and it's effortless 37mpg on the highway.

Edited by caddycruiser

the buick vue hybrid. LOL

or is it.........

RENDEZ-VUE?

somewhere, i hear buickman in the distance chanting 'return to greatness'.

hey, any truth that as part of the federal bailout of the automakers, that buickman was exiled to shanghai to detail zeta park avenues before delivering them to chinese businessmen? Home delivery, ya know.

regarding the fusion hybrid, the timing of this introduction and all the PR that goes with it is indeed very.....TIMELY.

seriously, even if the most aggressive driver can still get 35 outta this thing, its HUGE.

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room