Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BuddyP

Ford Execs Say the Company Differs From GM, Chrysler

5 posts in this topic

How nice for Ford.

I particularly liked this line: "But Mulally said Tuesday he would expect the same concessions from the union even though Ford wouldn't be under government supervision."

So, like Toyota and Honda (who let the UAW attack and rot away Detroit, all the while quietly keeping their pay increases 'competitive' with Detroit to keep the UAW away and open in economically depressed areas where wage demands won't be onerous), Ford will let GM and Chrysler do the heavy lifting and take all the heat.

all the while quietly keeping their pay increases 'competitive' with Detroit to keep the UAW away

As long as companies treat and pay their employees fairly, there should be no need for a union. Theoretically, unions only form when companies do not treat their employees well (theoretically).

But I read in the National Post how funds dealers at a major Canadian bank have launched a class action suit to pursue 'lost pay.' I was shocked at the list of professions that are actually exempt from 40 hour work week clauses. I was surprised that even in this 'modern' age, some economists advocate that companies and employees are somehow on equal footing when it comes to negotiating wages and benefits.

Believe me, I am not union supporter, because I see their power as self-perpetutating, but I have first hand experience at the arbitrariness of management and how their capricous job description changes effect people's lives.

All I am saying is that workers at Honda and Toyota enjoy the similar benefits as the UAW because of the UAW - and they get that without having to pay the price. In fact, that pretty much sums up the entire 30-odd year experience for Toyota and Honda in North America: let others do the heavy lifting and then just float into the market on a magic carpet and take over.

How nice for Ford.

I particularly liked this line: "But Mulally said Tuesday he would expect the same concessions from the union even though Ford wouldn't be under government supervision."

So, like Toyota and Honda (who let the UAW attack and rot away Detroit, all the while quietly keeping their pay increases 'competitive' with Detroit to keep the UAW away and open in economically depressed areas where wage demands won't be onerous), Ford will let GM and Chrysler do the heavy lifting and take all the heat.

Yeah my same thoughts. But that's what Ford has been doing. When GM started their "turnaround" program, Ford watched then followed suit. First GM gave buyout oppertunities, it worked so then Ford started doing it. Then GM started pulling back production on fleet, then Ford started, and so forth.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0