Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BuddyP

Angry Ford dealer in SC blasts imports in ads

31 posts in this topic

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/ar...0&Symbol=GM

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) - A Ford dealer angered over the proposed bailout of U.S. automakers blames the nation's sour economy on Congress and criticized buyers of Japanese cars, calling the vehicles "rice ready ... not road ready" in a radio ad.

O.C. Welch, who owns a dealership near Savannah in Hardeeville, S.C., began airing the minute-long ad on a dozen stations in the area over the weekend. The ad sounds more like a talk-radio tirade than a sales pitch.

"All you people that buy all your Toyotas and send that money to Japan, you know, when you don't have a job to make your Toyota car payment, don't come crying to me," Welch says in the ad. "All those cars are rice ready. They're not road ready."

Floyd Mori, executive director of the Japanese American Citizens League, said Welch's remarks evoke anti-Asian sentiments often aimed at Japanese and Chinese immigrants to the U.S. from the 1930s through World War II. He also noted many Japanese automakers' cars are manufactured in America.

"It's a blatant, ignorant, racist remark from somebody who should know better," Mori said.

Toyota spokesman Xavier Dominicis said the company's cars consistently receive high marks for quality. The automaker employs 36,600 Americans, he said, and about 60 percent of Toyota vehicles sold in the U.S. were manufactured here.

"How do you tell a worker in Kentucky who's producing a Toyota that his job is worth less than another American autoworker's?" Dominicis said.

The car dealer, though, said Tuesday he had received more positive calls than negative ones. His dealership sold 15 new cars Saturday — half of them to people drawn to the lot by the ad, he said.

Welch said he's mostly mad at politicians, blasting them in his ad as only being good for "slinging mud and spending our tax dollars." He said the government should offer tax incentives for consumers to buy new cars rather than spend money bailing out Ford, General Motors and Chrysler.

© 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Edited by BuddyP

I personally have no problems with blaming the entire economic crisis, the Iraq war, and bee colony failure on Camry and Pruis drivers.

So...

For years I've heard the ad; "Don't buy a crappy domestic, when you can buy a high quality import." an ad that runs on our radio here non-stop, yet no one gets their panties in a bunch.

And one SC Ford dealer runs a SIMILAR ad and it's NATIONAL F*CKING HEADLINES and an INSTANT SMEAR CAMPAIGN against FORD?!?!?!

I don't agree with the comment "rice ready" for business sake, but it's not like he specifically threw out a racial slur.

This was just an easy headline that involved stereotypes about SC people being 'racist klan members' (after all, we know how those confederate flag flyin' ass backwards SC people are) and an AWESOME opportunity to slam the strongest domestic company.

How many people want to bet me that their are hundreds of PC elitests sitting in front of their TVs now saying; "I'll not buy from Ford, they support racism." over some dealer? Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if the media parlays this into a slamfest based around Henry Ford close (Pre WWII) ties to Hitler.

This was nothing more than an OPPORTUNITY for the writer of the article to TOUT bad facts about how Toyotas and Hondas are BUILT HERE and are ACTUALLY AMERICAN and about how we should be ashamed for supporting our 'ignorant' domestic industry.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Kind of figures it's in the South. I couldn't see a Ford dealer in the West saying something that stupid publically. I don't see it reflecting badly on Ford, but on that one dealer.

Kind of figures it's in the South. I couldn't see a Ford dealer in the West saying something that stupid publically. I don't see it reflecting badly on Ford, but on that one dealer.

It's sad, because I share his sentiment about the industry and the country.

However, that was a HORRIBLE way to try and win people over. Do these people (the dealers) even think before they open their mouths?

P.S. Easy there on the 'south' stuff sir. :D I know what you're saying, but 'we ain't all bad'. LOL

P.S. Easy there on the 'south' stuff sir. :D I know what you're saying, but 'we ain't all bad'. LOL

Yeah..I know..how about the senators from the South who won't support loans to Detroit...I wonder if the fact they have Korean/Japanese/German car plants in their states have anything to do with that? :)

Believe me, I understand the dealer's emotion, but I am not convinced he has taken an appropriate course of action.

A far less controversial way of tackling the issue would be the way GM handled the Honda billboards in Ohio a couple years ago: by pointing out how many more people Ford supports than Toyota or Honda in the States.

A bit extreme but not enough people have the balls to stick up for the American automakers, so good for him.

Even the ricers here ignore Scion.

More like Scion is Geritol/Depends ready...

Chris

Even the ricers here ignore Scion.

More like Scion is Geritol/Depends ready...

Chris

The strangest Scion I've seen was a white 2nd gen xB with BMW roundels in place of the Scion badges, and an X05i badge replacing the xB badge.

-this is exactly the sort of stirring up sentiment that toyota does not want to happen, because like the dealer said, it will attract more folks and fire them up then those it makes mad....i.e. the tipping point where those who have gone unheard are now going to bring up legitimate things like protectionism and supporting your own products and companies.

the political correctness of it is bad, however, as an event that might spark some RETHINKing of some people's purchase intentions, and political discussion, i think its entirely appropriate to get these topics on the table.

-this is exactly the sort of stirring up sentiment that toyota does not want to happen, because like the dealer said, it will attract more folks and fire them up then those it makes mad....i.e. the tipping point where those who have gone unheard are now going to bring up legitimate things like protectionism and supporting your own products and companies.

Which is why the media SHOIT IT RIGHT DOWN by belittling this guy and boasting about the imports.

This kind of social movement will NEVER take hold again because the media is Japan Inc's fail-safe. They will do everything in their power to portray people like this guy as 'racist assholes from a bygone era' while they justify buying an import.

The whole "Buy america" thing worked in the 80's but both the media and Japan Inc. (OF COURSE) learned from it to become unbeatable again.

just for the record... i saw it said savannah, ga... i know its so close it counts but i'll let GA have the cred we got enough blatant stereotypes about SC as it is...

just for the record... i saw it said savannah, ga... i know its so close it counts but i'll let GA have the cred we got enough blatant stereotypes about SC as it is...

Sounds like the dealer is in an SC town near Savannah.

While it may not be the smartest idea, I think it's about time that they spoke their minds..

Stuff just needs to be said....

I applaud his balls but the execution was weak... like FoG was saying.

Sounds like the dealer is in an SC town near Savannah.

yup skimmed right over that... sorry. what makes it worse is the name of the town sounds like where a fast food chain sprung up...

There's a dealer here in the St. Louis area that is doing something similar, but using more tact. FTR he owns two Lincoln/Mercury dealerships, one Ford dealership, and a Buick/Pontiac/GMC dealership. Personally, I think this commercials make a ton of sense. Check 'em out on his website:

http://www.tvguys.com/sinclair/

These in particular discuss buying domestic:

http://www.tvguys.com/sinclair/42200808T4.mpg

http://www.tvguys.com/sinclair/42200810T1B.mpg

http://www.tvguys.com/sinclair/42200801T3.mpg

http://www.tvguys.com/sinclair/42200709T1.mpg

http://www.tvguys.com/sinclair/42200705T4.mpg

Is a car American or foreign if it's built in the US?

http://www.tvguys.com/sinclair/42200806T4.mpg

Note that he shows Chrysler products in a few of his ads. He does not sell Chrysler products. In several of these ads he's simply encouraging people to buy domestic vehicles whether it's from him or not.

-RBB

While this guy said "rice" (OMG! :omfg: Japanese people eat rice!) in his ad, it's no where near what Japanese say about foreigners or "gaijin" as they call you. To the rest of the world, we, in the US, are all redneck Yankee cowboys.

"Oh, the dumb redneck said "rice", so his point of buying American goods must also be stupid". :rolleyes:

RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE LICE RICE RICE RICE RICE!!!!!!!!!

rice.jpg

rice_paddy.jpg

I have said this many times: since very few Americans (or Canadians) speak Chinese or Japanese, we have no clue what they say about us over there. It is to our peril that our media doesn't pay much attention to their press. The only references I ever hear of are when the Chinese government protests that Japan is re-writing its history texts to downplay their role in the atrocities in Manchuria; otherwise, we hear NOTHING.

A salesperson I used to work with was of Italian extraction but his wife was Chinese so he could understand Chinese: his eyes would nearly pop out of his head when talking to Chinese customers (we used to get a lot at my last dealer) and they would talk over his head about him.

When I was 17 (okay, that was a very long time ago, admittedly), I dated a 29 year old Pilipino guy (my older guy phase). He was an excellent cook and threw a dinner party for his 'friends.' After 5 years in Canada, I was the only non-Pilipino at the table. Naturally, most of the dinner conversation centered on trashing Canada and the 'West.' Even at 17 I was cocky, so I politely listened to their crap for about 30 minutes, then I snapped,"If you hate this country so much, and the Philipines is sooo much better, why don't you all go back?" Naturally, there was stunned silence, followed by the usual reply that there was no 'money' back home and 'conditions' were better here.

Not to turn this into a political thread, but the 'open door' policy in the West is going to be our undoing. It has been said amongst Indian circles that Great Britain 'invaded' India, but now India is 'invading' Great Britain. It is our fault for not understanding these cultures better and either defending ourselves or at least being a little more demanding back.

I have been a member of C&G's for 2 years. This is the first topic I felt strong enough about to respond too.Iam not a blogger at all. As a 3rd generation japanesse/ african american that has only purchased trucks from the big three. I have never owned a forgein car or truck before and never will. And as a soon to be father it really scares me the there are people with this mentallity, are we back in the 60's? I do'nt go to the forgien car blogs, Its amazing how much racism there is on domestic blogs.Of course its all tongue and cheek, as americans I thought we were better than this!!!!!guess not

Welcome 2006Ford.

I'm am likewise a 3rd generation.... American. I have a few different ethnic backgrounds, tho I am 50% of one- I'm sure I could call myself 'X'/American with no challenge, however; as a native-born citizen of this country, I call myself what I legally and idealogically am; 'American'.

You are free to categorize yourself as you wish, of course, though note --as in your reaction to what you felt was racism in this thread-- some people might likewise take umbrage with the exclusionistic nature of that label.

To each, his own, I say; this country was founded on that freedom of expression & opinion.

I am sure that in either case, no harm was intended; just wanted to point that out.

I, too, have only purchased American vehicles (20 to date). No doubt our country appreciates your patronage of American manufacturing- may you have the best ownership experince with your present & future purchases.

There should be no reason to take a comment made here personally- hope you see fit to continue to post here.

Again; welcome.

This has nothing to do with race and everything to do with nationalism, plain and simple. While we in the West bend over backwards to accomodate every poor person who feels we have somehow slighted them, many of our powerful emerging trading nations make absolutely no such destinctions.

If someone has been reading here for 2 years, then they would know only too well the arguments for both sides get very sell aired on C&G. I, for one, do not think it is over stating the case that if Detroit goes down, so will our entire way of life in North America. A country that builds nothing, that does not control its own intellectual property, that 'off-shores' its own R&D, is doomed to become a back-water State, at best.

For the record, I am 4th generation Canadian, and I do not give a rat's ass where my grandparents came from; in fact, when people demand to know what nationality I am, I throw it back in their face. (Actually, my paternal grandfather was born in Michigan - OOPs)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0