Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

James Bond in a Camry?

douglask

Aston Martin boss Dr Ulrich Bez has told the producers of the James Bond movie franchise he will no longer pay a product placement fee to see the world's most famous spy drive a car from the British brand. Instead, the producers of the next Bond film are believed to be considering product placement money from ... Toyota.

Bez says the British brand [now owned by US giant Ford] has the style and substance to bring unmatched credibility and publicity to the Bond franchise.

He says that Bond in a Toyota Camry would do little for publicity or credibility.

The dilemma for producers of the Bond films is that other car makers are prepared to pay millions to have Bond drive and, typically, destroy their automotive wares.

Cash-rich Toyota is said to be prepared to pay big dollars to be in the Bond film.

> Full Article

One thing for sure, he won't be gettin' any chicks in a stupid Camry.  That AM boss needs to have his head examined... pay the fee already, doofus!

[post="39261"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Now now, Ocn... he may with the Camry SE! It has a spoiler... and an amber instrument cluster. :rolleyes: :lol:

Let me just say that if there was a car from Toyota right now as cool as the 2000GT then this would be at least a slight bit rational... but Toyota is a jooke right now. They don't even have a Supra any more. How about the Gillette comercials for Mach3 turbo razors wiht that cheesy balck and green '95 Supra. Retardred.

I always liked the 2000GT. It's the only true Japanese classic other than the original Z cars.

Isn't there a new Supra on the horizon? I mean how many times have we seen a supposed Toyota in black canvas on the ring in Autoweek?!

Posted Image

Better yet, Bond in a prius.  :)  I can just see it now, there goes Bond trying to drive away from the bad guys but since the 0-60 is over 10 seconds they catch up to him in their Yugo.

[post="39296"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If he's in the Prius, the premise could be he's pissed about the false claims with the fuel economy, and call it like Priuspussy. LOL

It would be depressing to see Bond turn into one giant Lexus commercial like I, Robot did. Look at the freeway scene in Matrix 2 - one long, commerical for GM. Depending on how much exposure is offered, it would be worth it for GM to snatch this out of Toyota's hands. Bond flicks are not only watched once at the cinema, but they are among the most collected film series out there. We are talking decades of advertising.

I, robot was an Audi commercial, Men In Black II was Mercedes commercial, Matrix Reloaded an Cadillac commercial and so on. The only Lexus commercial I have seen was Minority Report, but at least you only saw the logo of the car in a snip of a second in the end of the movie. Far less than in the other ones mentioned above, and nothing is settled yet about the new Bond movie.

LF-A, the rumored super Lexus?  Releasing the car to the public the same week the film comes out would be a marketer's wettest dream.

[post="39322"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Is it a Lexus then, sems many think it's still the upcoming Supra. Either way that car would at least somewhat make sense... they could play up the ties to the GT2000 ragtop in the old film... was it Goldfinger or You Only live Twice... ?

Either way I liked the coupe version of the 2000GT better than the ragtop.

What about BMW? That Z8 in "The world is not enough" was hot as hell (so was Denise Richards :P) still no Austin Martin though.

[post="39305"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

yea, the new M-roadster, or M-coupe, or better yet, the M6 (or even M5) would be awesome. (what would be even cooler is seeing him in a Z06) :AH-HA_wink:

He drove an AMC Matador coupe in one movie . Even thats better than a Camry.

[post="39288"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The bad guy drove the Matador- Bond was in a Hornet (in which he does a spectacular corkscrew jump over a river. Since both guy stole the cars from an AMC dealer in the movie, it wasn't the most blatant product placement- that would have been in the beginning of "Live and Let Die", where the only cars on New York's FDR drive are 1972 Chevrolet B-bodies and Cadillacs.

Imagine if you will... You have a dog's-level view of the side of a street. A chrome wheel rolls by as a car stops before you. Above the rocker panel, you see the door crack open and a cane hit the pavement with a loud *clack*. A foot comes into view and pivots. You now see the tips of two fine-leather shoes before you and hear a grunt and groan of someone as they exit the car. The feet step out of view and the door closes. The cane clacks once more as the person steps into the frame. The camera pans up to reveal... Sean Connery ?! With his sophistication and signature accent, he proclaims: "It's a phucking Camry! Who ELSE would you be expecting?" Edited by ShadowDog

There might be the new gen Camry either used by Bond, like when he is on a street chasing someone then needs a car, so he stops traffic and the first car to stop, will be a new shiney Camry, lol.  or it might be used by the bad guys as a get-away car.

[post="39384"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Still pretty retarded and very contrived... but I see your point. Hollywood will stoop to any level thee days. :rolleyes:

Now Wildmanjoe has a great idea!!! I'd love to see a few dozen Camrys get destroyed... instead of Detroit classics for once! They could blow up like 3,000 of them and it would still only be 0.8% of total production for 2006. <_<

Toyoguy: Toyota doesn't sell anything beside the Camry?

Yes, you're right. We're having fun at Toyotas expense... but sometimes it IS easy to forget that they sell anything lese when it seems like 93% of their production is Camrys and they'd like us to think the other 7% is all the Prius.

I'd love to see an AD for a GM hybrid where they show it zipping around corneres sipping fuel while big ugly Tundras and Gross Seqoias lumber around like bulls in a china shop. :P

.....or the new LS....which looks HOT

[post="39848"][/post]

When they used that ugly POS in T3 I was pissed. It should have been a XLR, SL Mercedes or even a BMW. Then to top it off they had the Tacoma in that movie too... at least they redemed themselves with the Caddy hearse... too bad they F***ed it up!!! :angry:

Maybe Toyota sent over a cute Geisha for AAHH-nold to ensure he'd drive that ugly truck and put the Lexus in the movie.

Posted Image Edited by Sixty8panther

The only camry's in the movie would be the ones that flash by the screen for a second doing the speed limit on the freeway, while Bond and pursuers fly by at 130mph in their sports cars. If Toyota is lucky, they will choose a Camry as one of cars that gets wrecked, giving it a couple more seconds on the screen. Not that you'd be able to see the Toyota symbol anyway, as it's being crushed by two semi's as Bond narrowly escapes in his sports car (did I say the pursuers were driving semi's? wait that's the Matrix).

Bond in a Fiero? why Not? :)

If it does happen, it'll probably be a Lexus.  But Bond in anything other than an Aston Martin is like cake without the frosting...a big MEH.

[post="39299"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed. Probably a the next gen LS or something, but still. I agree. Bond belongs in an Aston.

There was a rumor that he could be driving a heavily modified Fiat, because this is a prequel type Bond movie (he just got his 00 license, no Q yet, etc)...i personally think it should be an old Aston DB5, but that's just me. Fiero would be cool, but Bond never drives American cars... Edited by w00t_man

There was a rumor that he could be driving a heavily modified Fiat, because this is a prequel type Bond movie (he just got his 00 license, no Q yet, etc)...i personally think it should be an old Aston DB5, but that's just me.

Fiero would be cool, but Bond never drives American cars...

[post="41143"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wrong-O.....

I forget what movie it was, but Roger Moore drove a C4 Corvette while he was in San Francisco....

Wrong-O.....

I forget what movie it was, but Roger Moore drove a C4 Corvette while he was in San Francisco....

Also the article has this little info:

Over his 43-year movie career, Bond has also driven various Bentleys (a favourite of Bond creator Ian Fleming), a Sunbeam Alpine (Dr. No), Citroen 2CV (For Your Eyes Only), Ford Mustang (Diamonds are Forever) and the famous submersible Lotus Esprit (The Spy Who Loved Me).

It would be depressing to see Bond turn into one giant Lexus commercial like I, Robot did.  Look at the freeway scene in Matrix 2 - one long, commerical for GM.  Depending on how much exposure is offered, it would be worth it for GM to snatch this out of Toyota's hands.

[post="39342"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I mean, hey, they did it before with the zillion full-size Chevys used in Live And Let Die...