Yay, an actual CAR topic...

Here are the rules of this thread-post a link of a GM (only GM, Sorry boys) car for sale in your locality and tell why you like it.

I get to go first...

http://www.arenamotor.com/listings/l0005.html

I like it because 1. Its a 4 speed 2. it's a great color combo 3. I've always had a soft spot for chrome bumper C3's 4. It's a driver and hasn't been resotred to within an inch of it's life as a trailer queen 5. The top goes down! 6. Orig. drivetrain 7. It just has "the look" if you know what I mean...

Your turn, guys (and GMpartsgirl).

Respond as to what you like or don't like about this car..or post a link to a car in your area.

Oh, and Sixty Eight they have one for you too...

http://www.arenamotor.com/listings/l0006.html

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

Yes I do...and after seeing them driven in "anger" I can relate 100 percent.

The shot of that motor in your link could make me a fan in a hurry. The LS series of motors has always been a work of art IMHO.

Chris

Yes I do...and after seeing them driven in "anger" I can relate 100 percent.

The shot of that motor in your link could make me a fan in a hurry. The LS series of motors has always been a work of art IMHO.

Chris

I may pull up the money out in cash, but I do not know if I want to at this point, this where the debate is.

I owned a 2002 for six months, and I think those 405 horses are more than enough. Add to that the reliability as a rock of 5th generation Y's. I regularly got 32-33 mpg on highway cruising at 70mph. I want that 50th anniversary badge (badge snob).

No, not if it is in good condition, but the devil is in the details. A friend of mine that buys and sells old chevy trucks says that the market is in the tank for these right now.

but if the body is 100% solid, and the interior is as nice as it seems, and it runs well/drives well...that would be right up my ally.

My wife has been bugging me for a long time to get a nice old truck like this, I'd better make sure she doesn't see this one, as I don't hve twelve grand sitting around.

But if I did, I'd be thinkin' about it.

Chris

With a big block and fresh sheet metal? With slick paint that Nova would bring 10-12K around here...

At least before the economy went way south...I haven't followed muscle car prices much but I know they've gone in the toilet the past few months.

Chris

fi17.jpg

No ad link- I checked this truck out Friday at a local auction- 3,288 miles, absolutely showroom perfect. 2WD, long bed, Cheyenne package, automatic, black w/ red interior. I don't even kno what motor was underhood, but there hadn't even been anything in the bed to scratch it up, chrome was perfect- it was sorely tempting, but I didn't need it. I shudder to think what it might have gone for- I didn't go back to the auction; it was bittterly cold today and auctions have a way of lasting most of the day... I could see a limited turnout sending someone home with a brand new truck for maybe $2K.

moltie- {rhetorical} what the hell is up (no pun intended) with the rear of that '68 in yer sig - it's ridin' like a damned Jeep. It's embarassing! It's an automotive upskirt shot! Rear should be a full 4" lower at minimum. Front could drop another 1", too. I HATE these factory-spec restos with full-spec-plus coils- amazing that people with such good taste in cars have such a bad eye for stance.

moltie- {rhetorical} what the hell is up (no pun intended) with the rear of that '68 in yer sig - it's ridin' like a damned Jeep. It's embarassing! It's an automotive upskirt shot! Rear should be a full 4" lower at minimum. Front could drop another 1", too. I HATE these factory-spec restos with full-spec-plus coils- amazing that people with such good taste in cars have such a bad eye for stance.

I put new springs on mine when it was restored and it doesn't ride nearly that high!

The paint mismatch implies that it's had work done on the quarters...plus the incorrect respraying of the 8-lugs. That's not a factory spec resto.

Dunno....air shocks, maybe? At least it has enough clearance for driveways and curbs..

Right, BP; but HE thinks it's factory-correct. Silver 8-lug hubs after '63- sheesh!

Yer car is factory: sitting level, with the bottom of the rockers somewhere halfway between the center cap & the bottom edge of the rim. That's Mayfair Maize, right?

>>"At least it has enough clearance for driveways and curbs.. "<<

Look at BP's '68- plenty of clearance for driveways. I had plenty for my '64 Catalina and it was even lower.

And anyone driving these over curbs prolly doesn't care about clearances.... :P

Edited by balthazar

Right, BP; but HE thinks it's factory-correct. Silver 8-lug hubs after '63- sheesh!

Yer car is factory: sitting level, with the bottom of the rockers somewhere halfway between the center cap & the bottom edge of the rim. That's Mayfair Maize, right?

>>"At least it has enough clearance for driveways and curbs.. "<<

Look at BP's '68- plenty of clearance for driveways. I had plenty for my '64 Catalina and it was even lower.

And anyone driving these over curbs prolly doesn't care about clearances.... :P

Yes, Mayfair (lighter variation) with black top/interior. My exhaust was a stock patterned repro that we aluminum coated, but it tucks up under the rear valance more than the green car's pipes, which also seems to be visually working against it.

The rear clearance issue comes into play with trailering or flatbeds...the rear overhang behind the wheels is so long, it'll drag the gas tank if it sits too low. Happened to be a few times before mine was restored.

In theory that particular car could have the rear air adjustable shock option, but the other details that are "off" make me think they just used the wrong springs. He's also missing the "Bonneville" badging on either the lower front fender or the back of the rear quarter.

Edited by BigPontiac

>>"The rear clearance issue comes into play with trailering or flatbeds...the rear overhang behind the wheels is so long, it'll drag the gas tank if it sits too low. Happened to be a few times before mine was restored."<<

Know it well from daily driving a '64 Cat (on 70-series tires) & a '65 Bonneville. Can happen when the load rate decreases over time (which the Bonne was experiencing)... but in that I came into these cars well past their prime, all the stock height cars look high and cars like that green '68 look like 4x4s to me. I do not recall ever scraping any surfaces.

>>"In theory that particular car could have the rear air adjustable shock option, but the other details that are "off" make me think they just used the wrong springs."<<

My '59 came to me with the front springs so wrong, the suspension was completely 'bottomed out' all the time, yet somehow the car never looked like it was riding high. I have 1" lower springs up front now, plus the front tires will be slightly shorter. Looking for a mild rake...

Edited by balthazar

Moltie, I want to say I appreciate your Pontiac sigs as of late, even that ol' green bomber with the stovepipe duals out the back. Where do you guys find so many outstanding pics and how do you sigmatize them?

Satty, those Buick Road Wheels are so perfect for your wagon. I'd snatch those babies up. I think they're the best looking Buick OEM wheel ever. Does anyone know how many years they were used? It seems like they were an available option for like 20 years... but maybe it's because so many ppl liked them and just put them on their newer stuff.

'61 Biscayne

-That would be a cool daily driver

'86 Fiero GT

-I should buy it just in case we run out of firewood this winter and need something that will combust.

Satty, those Buick Road Wheels are so perfect for your wagon. I'd snatch those babies up. I think they're the best looking Buick OEM wheel ever. Does anyone know how many years they were used? It seems like they were an available option for like 20 years... but maybe it's because so many ppl liked them and just put them on their newer stuff.

I agree they would look great on the wagon, and if I hadn't just blown my savings on Christmas, I'd pick them up. If I do get around to really working on semi-restoring the wagon, I'd want to keep the stock wheels, which are the same as the one pictured below.

wpe20.jpg

The problem is that I only have 2 of the center caps and I cannot seem to find 2 more. eBay is, so far, worthless, and local junkyards seem to be allergic to Buicks and b-bodies.

Moltie, I want to say I appreciate your Pontiac sigs as of late, even that ol' green bomber with the stovepipe duals out the back. Where do you guys find so many outstanding pics and how do you sigmatize them?

I just google the subject and copy the URL of interesting ones I find... the '67 Catalina 2+2 pic I have currently is an original GM pic, I think (I've seen it elsewhere, in magazines).

About the Buick road wheels, Balthy can answer definitively, but they definitely had a long run...I think they started around '63-64 as a Wildcat optional wheel and ran into the '80s w/ the last of the RWD LeSabres and Electras ... I think the '80s Regal may have used them some also. I've always liked that style of wheel.

Edited by moltar

I'd pick a Buick project:

Link

7d8a_1.JPG

I like it...but can you imagine finding side glass for it if some kit accidently put a baseball through one of the rear wagon windows?

Seriously, I would love to have that to cruise around in if it were properly restored.

Chris

Pretty sure that wagon glass is repro'd. After all it was also offered in Chevy wagons. :rolleyes:

Very cool wagon- I've still not seen one in person yet.

BTW- I'd cruise that wagon exactly as is. Maybe slap some cherry bomb mufflers on it. Park re-eeal close to bmws & merses, too.

I hunt pics all the time, my hard drive bulges with them.

Tee-hee: I said 'hard drive buldges'.

Moltie hit it exactly: Buick 'road wheel' came out as optional on the '64 Wildcat (and that's the first time we see them in print ads), spread to the Riv for '65. Ended with the last of the RWDs- I have an '84 ad showing an Electra wagon wearing them. Great looking wheel, but doesn't 'sit right' on a '59.

'74 Monte Carlo

I want I want I want. White on white, low miles, looks clean enough. I want.

(and)

Great price on that Monte...better not let knightfan see that!

TOO LATE! He he ... a friend of mine sent that to me the other day. Not too shabby at all, I'd say.

Heh ... interesting topic. I've seen a few cars in the last week or so that would qualify for this thread. I'll have to see about digging through the online ads again to see if I can find 'em. One that I remember is a mid'70s Impala sedan ... dark green. Looks AWESOME. he he.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 drive = Sept '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Rockies are calling, Denver snow falling" ... Steve Wariner/Alabama ... 'Tennessee Christmas'

Pretty sure that wagon glass is repro'd. After all it was also offered in Chevy wagons. :rolleyes:

Are you being serious? I've always wanted an old wagon, but thought that glass might be a real issue in owning a car like that.

It would be really cool if that was the case.

I like your idea of leaving the car "as is"

Chris

I guarantee it interchanges with Buick's sibling's wagons, which would be Chevy, Olds & Pontiac, '59-60.

Not sure if it's repro'd, but I would bet it is. I've never heard that it's a problem. Easy enough to search around & verify that. Besides, enough used glass that you could find it somewhere.

Windshields are a breeze- I'm looking at replacing mine because of 2 close stone chips in the driver's field of vision - $402. All the rest of the glass is flat (=cheap).

The '55-57 Nomad / Safari 2-dr sport wagons are a LOT more rare, but they share glass, too., and I'd bet it's repro'd, too.

Only glass offhand that I KNOW is not reproduced and is a constant worry is the extended windshields on professional cars (hearses/ambulances). Nobody makes those.

Go get it!

Edited by balthazar

I guarantee it interchanges with Buick's sibling's wagons, which would be Chevy, Olds & Pontiac, '59-60.

Not sure if it's repro'd, but I would bet it is. I've never heard that it's a problem. Easy enough to search around & verify that. Besides, enough used glass that you could find it somewhere.

Windshields are a breeze- I'm looking at replacing mine because of 2 close stone chips in the driver's field of vision - $402. All the rest of the glass is flat (=cheap).

The '55-57 Nomad / Safari 2-dr sport wagons are a LOT more rare, but they share glass, too., and I'd bet it's repro'd, too.

Only glass offhand that I KNOW is not reproduced and is a constant worry is the extended windshields on professional cars (hearses/ambulances). Nobody makes those.

Go get it!

Only reason i said that is that when I had the 66 Fastback Mustang the rear window glass wasn't being reproduced and rear window glass for these cars was hard to find and ungodly expensive...probably is reproduced now, as whole fastback bodyshells are being reproduced.

I really would like to own a unique old fullsize car someday...

Thanks again for posting pics of the wagon!~

Chris

'69 Skylark

I had no idea he was selling it, I see it around town all the time. The ad isn't a lie, it is a daily driver in every sense, neither rain nor sleet nor the roads being a sheet of ice prevents this car from hitting the road.

I just love this generation of Buick....one of my fav. GM cars, actually.

I've thought HARD about buying one as a ragtop someday....

Chris