2010 Lexus RX

Northstar

I don't think this SUV has ever been good enough for it to have been "ruined", sorry.

toyota/lexus looks like hyundai because of the Great Homogenization. Generica version 5.0.

Hoofda!- that interior has all the class of a high school shop project. Lookit the tiny cheap little pedals hanging there- corolla parts bin specials ??

Disasterous.

Unfortunately, this is the general theme to come- wacky-n-tacky cause everything else has been done already...

I saw this thing at the auto show. It's like Hyundai looked at the last RX, liked it, wanted to make a knockoff of it, then Toyota looked at the Veracruz, liked it, and made a knockoff of a knockoff.

It's terrible, and that center stack is no better.

It will still sell though.

Edited by Dodgefan

This one is ugly, but all the other ones were ugly too and they sold those. I think they have a 3rd row seat now, but I bet it is tiny.

I think this new one is 188-189 inches long, 275 hp from the 3.5 V6 and about 4100 pounds. That power to weight ratio isn't bad, better than most SUVs. The sad thing is Cadillac will try to make a generic front drive SRX to compete, and will fail at it.

Edited by smk4565

This one is ugly, but all the other ones were ugly too and they sold those. I think they have a 3rd row seat now, but I bet it is tiny.

I think this new one is 188-189 inches long, 275 hp from the 3.5 V6 and about 4100 pounds. That power to weight ratio isn't bad, better than most SUVs. The sad thing is Cadillac will try to make a generic front drive SRX to compete, and will fail at it.

The other ones were not ugly, and had at least pretty decent interiors.

And how is the new SRX generic?

x10ca_sr002-1280.jpg

x10ca_sr003-1280.jpg

Cadillac_Provoq_Concept_2008_07.jpg

I'd say it's much better looking than the RX and the interior is looking like it will be pretty good.

If anything is 'generic', its the most commonplace 'lux' SUV on the road.

And no one who drives an rx has any idea which wheels are moving the vehicle.

BTW- C&D recently ran a 8 $50K SUV comparison and ranked them thusly :

1. acura mdx

2. Cadillac SRX

3. bmw x5

4. mercedes ml350

5. toyota gx470

6. volvo xc90

7. volks touareg

8. land rover lr3

If magazine reviews carry any weight with you, you might want to check it out.

I expect the '10 SRX to show the same class advances the CTS has in its.

I guarantee everyone is going to qualify the interior because it's "funky" and "different". I really would like to hear some honest reviews about this--but unfortunately since it's a Lexus they'll praise them for trying something so bold with the interior.

Minor nitpick: Why would you go from LED taillights to incandescent bulbs?

The other ones were not ugly, and had at least pretty decent interiors.

And how is the new SRX generic?

I'd say it's much better looking than the RX and the interior is looking like it will be pretty good.

Front wheel drive, looks too much in shape like a 9-4x, Equinox, Terrain, Vue. It is more rounded than the current SRX which people find bland. No one can out-bland Lexus, and the SRX just doesn't look that unique or expensive. Compared to an X5 or ML350 the SRX looks kind of plasticy and cheap. There is a good 6 inch wide piece of black plastic that surrounds the whole bottom of the SRX, that is something a Ford Explorer would do, and the Range Rover doesn't, so who is Cadillac aspiring to.

Edited by smk4565

1. acura mdx

2. Cadillac SRX

3. bmw x5

4. mercedes ml350

5. toyota gx470

6. volvo xc90

7. volks touareg

8. land rover lr3

I expect the '10 SRX to show the same class advances the CTS has in its.

But that SRX has a better interior than what the 2010 has, plus it is REAR DRIVE and has a V8. The 2010 is a front-drive V6 on a glorified Equinox platform. It is Lincoln MKX part 2. The current SRX has won more awards than any Cadillac in history, the new one will win zero. The Lexus won't win any awards either, except for JD Power quality.

Edited by smk4565

But that SRX has a better interior than what the 2010 has, plus it is REAR DRIVE and has a V8. The 2010 is a front-drive V6 on a glorified Equinox platform. It is Lincoln MKX part 2. The current SRX has won more awards than any Cadillac in history, the new one will win zero. The Lexus won't win any awards either, except for JD Power quality.

Again, I don't care for the SRX but as usual, much of your post is based on assumptions (pulling things out of your ass) and not facts.

Also, the Acura won that test, it's based on a FWD platform.

Edited by Dodgefan

Umm what has changed on the outside?

The RX platform is basically unchanged for three generations.

Does anyone really know that? Or is it based on the current Highlander? Or does anyone but the most rabid Toyota fan really care? :)

Edited by moltar

Does anyone really know that? Or is it based on the current Highlander? Or does anyone but the most rabid Toyota fan really care? :)

Both Highlander and RX are based on the modified Camry Platform which went through a thorough overhaul in 1994-5.

Both Highlander and RX are based on the modified Camry Platform which went through a thorough overhaul in 1994-5.

The Camry has gone through two redesigns since then, though. I would think they would have updated it since then (but since it's just a generic FWD platform, I'm not sure what they could 'update'...)

The Camry has gone through two redesigns since then, though. I would think they would have updated it since then (but since it's just a generic FWD platform, I'm not sure what they could 'update'...)

True that but the underpinnings were not thoroughly overhauled that is what I meant.

I don't think this SUV has ever been good enough for it to have been "ruined", sorry.

toyota/lexus looks like hyundai because of the Great Homogenization. Generica version 5.0.

Hoofda!- that interior has all the class of a high school shop project. Lookit the tiny cheap little pedals hanging there- corolla parts bin specials ??

Disasterous.

Unfortunately, this is the general theme to come- wacky-n-tacky cause everything else has been done already...

This is just beyond terrible as a new vehicle.

If this is what we are going to get from our carmakers, the end of petroleum and the return of the steam locomotive and the passenger train can't come fast enough.

Chris

Front wheel drive, looks too much in shape like a 9-4x, Equinox, Terrain, Vue. It is more rounded than the current SRX which people find bland. No one can out-bland Lexus, and the SRX just doesn't look that unique or expensive. Compared to an X5 or ML350 the SRX looks kind of plasticy and cheap. There is a good 6 inch wide piece of black plastic that surrounds the whole bottom of the SRX, that is something a Ford Explorer would do, and the Range Rover doesn't, so who is Cadillac aspiring to.

Umm, the SRX is quite different from the Equinox in profile. It may look similar to the next one I suppose, but you don't know what the new Equinox looks like. As for it looking like the 9-4x... well, GM isn't going to have Saab for much longer, and it doesn't even look that similar. 9-4x:

Saab%209-4X%20BioPower%20Concept%20Front

It may be FWD/AWD, but the SRX is being tuned on the 'ring. Certainly it will handle quite well.

Black plastic?

09_BMW_X5_30d_1_(768x576).jpg

Check.

alt01.jpg

Check.

LeftFront.jpg

Check.

I'm still trying to figure out how this:

Is an improvement over this:

:blink::stupid:

To my eyes it clearly isn't... if both the SRX and the 9-4X arrive with stellar build quality, they can start making a few dents on the RX's reign. IMHO.

I saw this thing at the L.A. autoshow, and it does not look better in the flesh. I think the original RX was the most successful design in terms of functionality. The second generation drove nicely. I could understand why they are so popular, though my neighbor had one with transmission troubles. The new RX has a little too much Camry in the exterior design. I find the ES350 sedan unattractive inside and out, and yet it sells very well. No doubt the new RX will sell well too.

i agree with smk's logical assumptions on the upcoming SRX....it's not going to be the same as the current car, likely a disappointment since it won't be based on Sigma, a critically acclaimed platform....and it's going to theta, which is, um, not critically acclaimed....in addition, he's right about the interior, the shots northie posted show it could be of poor quality, look at those radio/hvac controls and typical shiny GM chrome along with the bland and cheap/hollow looking door panels, and even less creative and attractive. it's a shame how much sportier and more atttactive the current X5 looks in the shots northie posted. even the platform maate saab has a more focused and attractive design theme.

however, this new RX really does make the SRX look attractive, which is sad. this being cadillac though, it's not enough that they be more attractive than lexus. they have to be the most attractive, or one of the most, as shown with 2nd and 3rd gen escalade. what's with the artsy for artsy sake center stack. gotta see it in person, but they forgot about elegance and taste, imo....they went overboard for the sake of looking special, but it didn't work.

Edited by turbo200

1. acura mdx

2. Cadillac SRX

3. bmw x5

4. mercedes ml350

5. toyota gx470

6. volvo xc90

7. volks touareg

8. land rover lr3

this comparo is not at all recent. your midleading assertions are troubling...

Edited by turbo200

this comparo is not at all recent. your midleading assertions are troubling...

Meh..the article is from May '07. I don't think any of those vehicles have changed much since then, other than the Touareg which had a mild update (new headlights, other trivial changes). The findings are still relevant.

C&D Comparo

Edited by moltar

i agree with smk's logical assumptions on the upcoming SRX....it's not going to be the same as the current car, likely a disappointment since it won't be based on Sigma, a critically acclaimed platform....and it's going to theta, which is, um, not critically acclaimed....in addition, he's right about the interior, the shots northie posted show it could be of poor quality, look at those radio/hvac controls and typical shiny GM chrome along with the bland and cheap/hollow looking door panels, and even less creative and attractive. it's a shame how much sportier and more atttactive the current X5 looks in the shots northie posted. even the platform maate saab has a more focused and attractive design theme.

however, this new RX really does make the SRX look attractive, which is sad. this being cadillac though, it's not enough that they be more attractive than lexus. they have to be the most attractive, or one of the most, as shown with 2nd and 3rd gen escalade. what's with the artsy for artsy sake center stack. gotta see it in person, but they forgot about elegance and taste, imo....they went overboard for the sake of looking special, but it didn't work.

Keep in mind that interior is of the Provoq concept, which should be pretty similar to the production version, but some details will change, obviously.

The new SRX sux, what with its huge FWD overhang. :puke:

That being said this Lexus looks like a Chinese knock-off of

the last gen. SRX. Terrible.

The Mercedes & BMW are both quite nice IMHO,

while the BMW uses the black plastic in a

creative & well placed manner that still makes

the front fascia look elegant, the Land Rover

looks down-right out of date and economy car

cheap... the Saab is alright but certainly not a

looker, esp. at its price .

If anything is 'generic', its the most commonplace 'lux' SUV on the road.

And no one who drives an rx has any idea which wheels are moving the vehicle.

Nobody cares which wheels power their vehicle. When I say "nobody", I mean about 99% of all people driving on the road. Only automotive enthusiasts are concerned about this. We're a tiny, tiny demographic. Automobile companies would be insane to care about what us car nuts feel is important when 99% of their sales come from people who have no need or desire to know which wheels power their vehicle. It's meaningless.

The exterior is bland--interior is a mess.

When I first saw this new RX, I was confused as well. I do see improvements on the exterior. They're extremely subtle. In fact, I'm disappointed at how subtle the changes are. And the interior changes don't look to be an "improvement". There's just not much to this update. In my opinion, Lexus needs to go a little more upscale with their RX. Either that, or make a version with more power and raise the price. I LIKE the RX and I might buy one if it weren't so "entry-level". I'm also a fan of the Acura MDX. THAT has a very nice interior, exterior and decent power (if I remember correctly).

Now the Cadillac SRX - while in some ways is a disappointment - is going to sell like CRAZY. The only reason it's selling so bad now is because women think it looks like a hearse. This new design looks much less like a wagon and more like a Crossover SUV.

holy crap, the new SRX is nothing to write home about but you're making it sound like this is anything besides the pure dog$h! on a stick it appears to be in pictures. holy crap. this thing is JUNK!

With the next SRX going to a generic FWD platform, the only ones in that group I'd seriously look at would be the BMW and Merc.... if I were paying $50k for a luxury SUV, it would have to be RWD/AWD. Leave FWD for the cheap mainstream stuff...

Now the Cadillac SRX - while in some ways is a disappointment - is going to sell like CRAZY. The only reason it's selling so bad now is because women think it looks like a hearse. This new design looks much less like a wagon and more like a Crossover SUV.

Mediocre sales at best, probably in the 30-40,000 a year range. It doesn't look expensive enough to compete with the Germans, so they'll price it in the mid $30s, but there is new competition at that price with the GLK and Audi Q5. People that like bland and reliable will pick the Lexus or Acura. The SRX will perform no better than the Lincoln MKX, it is the same type of vehicle. They can't compete with the MDX or rear drivers in driving dynamics, the SRX will likely be heavy since all GM SUVs are heavy so unless 304 hp is the base engine it will be slow.

Basically, Cadillac and Lincoln have nothing that set themselves apart from the crowd, and those badges don't have the prestige of Lexus, and the Germans. So even if the cars are equal, people will buy import for image.

Out of all of the CUVs shown the only ones I'd consider is the Saab (as it looks really good inside and out based on spyshots) and the BMW. The rest look frumpy and/or cheap.

That being said, every single one looks better inside and out than the Toyota.

this new rx is a visual abortion. all the way through. i hope lexus rots.

I don't think most of the people who buy an SRX are looking for something high performance. I know some are - but most are not. I do think it'll sell. But as SMK said, they're not better than what the competition offers...

SRX doesn't stand out from the crowd is what I said. The 2010 version may be better than the Volvo (how could it not be?) or marginally better than some of the imports, but the 3-point star, blue/white propeller and L carry a lot of status, the wreath and crest doesn't anymore. Lexus can sell cars on quality, reliability and resale value. People trust Toyota/Lexus, where as they may not trust the soon to be bankrupt GM or they got burned in the 80s by a piece of junk and won't consider a domestic.

The Mercedes & BMW are both quite nice IMHO,

When I get around to replacing the GC eventually in a few years, I've thought about either a 3rd gen GC CRD, CPO ML diesel or CPO 6-cyl X5... a couple friends have 1st gen X5s, I've ridden in and driven them, find them quite nice. I like the Range Rovers, but the Land Rover models don't appeal to me at all (now if the Defender were still available here, I'd love one of them). I figure I'll probably always have an SUV for winter, hauling stuff occasionally, and a bit of off-roading (the AZ thing is temporary, I'll be in the land of rain and snow again within a year).

Edited by moltar