Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

1998-2004 Cadillac Seville Questions...

gm4life

As many of you may well know I have been thinking and I mean looking at another used whip to add to my fleet. I have a daughter that will be driving and she would like the Impala. Fine. My son and I have been kicking around many ideas, like a 2001-2002 Firebird/Formula/Trans Am, a 1998-1999 Bonneville SSE, and I recently took a look at later years Sevilles the namely 02-04's and found then to be very cheap like under or around 8-10K with low miles. I just loved my time with my 1992 Sedan Deville and can only imagine how nice a more modern N* powered Seville SLS or STS would drive. I would get the 02-04 model because I have to have the updated Cadillac crest and would prefer a 2003 or 2004 model. (I don't believe a FWD STS was made in 2004 am I right?) I know insurance would be more but no more than an LS1 powered F-body or maybe even a L36 powered one. My son and I figure it would be fun to drive especially with a Northstar and get decent fuel economy, but actually have a real backseat/trunk. The 2003 model I know got the Deville/Eldorado dual/dual round exhaust tips out back and the SLS got a new body colored grille. I also am aware but could be wrong a Northstar either an LD8 or L37 will run fine on regular 87 or midgrade with 10 percent Ethanol (89) in the 2000-up Northstar cars. Anyone own a Seville, or have had experince in one or anyo ther N* powered car? And also is the Seville on the same platform as my Bonneville? Or is it a different one? Thanks for any help but the Seville would be a nice option because my sons loves Cadillac's and he/I am worried about driving an F-body in bad Iowa winter weather... Making the Seville seem more practical and I would love a Northstar and Corsa Exhaust would make it even better. :scratchchin: I would love on in diamond white/white lightning or crimson red, but platinum silver or black would be fine as well. Also chrome wheels would be nice, if it was an STS it would be nice if they were 17's. Also I am considering going up in my price range because for not alot more money I can get alot more car. Also is the Seville alot smaller than the Deville? Keep in mind I am not doing anything until spring or more likely early summer.

On the list to consider...

1998-1999 Bonneville SSE L36 no L67**least likely**-4th

2001-2002 Firebird/Formula/Trans Am Coupe/T-Tops L36 or LS1-2nd

2001-2003 Olds Aurora-3rd

2002-2004 Seville SLS/STS LD8 or L37-1st

Edited by gm4life

Both are G-body. The Seville is just slightly smaller than a Deville. For me, I would never, ever buy a car with a Northstar because of the cost of repairs (I briefly owned an Aurora 4.0). I'd take anything with a 3800 over one.

How bad can they be to repair? I mean they are a GM product and this motor has been used in Pontiac and Buicks as well... If they are a good motor I don't plan to sit with one in the shop, but it would be a trade-off between function and RWD. One both of us would be willing to make for the simple fact of four season usability. Plus I heard the Seville's are quick 0-60 (STS that is) in about 6.5 seconds? The SLS is in the low 7's I believe. Is there anything to watch out for as far as problems go in these cars. (I am talking about 2002-2004 models only.) Any input is welcome and apperciated. Thanks in advanced.

Edited by gm4life

Don't buy any Pontiac, all that plastic on the interior will fall apart. My step brother had a 90s Grand Prix and has a Firebird now and both fell apart.

DTS is over 207 inches long, STS was 204, Aurora is 199. 2004 was SLS only. I own an Aurora 4.0, I used to use 93 octane, but when gas went over $3 I went to 89 and don't notice any difference. Post 2000 Northstars can run on 87, they may recommend higher for optimum performance. I also get about 18 mpg in mixed driving, unless you are on the highway in at least 80% of your driving, don't expect better than 18-20 out of a Northstar.

I have driven the SLS and find it floaty, and the Aurora kills it in handling. The STS I rode in, but didn't drive it, it should get closer to the Aurora in handling, but the Aurora 4.0 is 250 pounds or so lighter. I have driven Devilles, that is like grandma floating in her boat going down the river. The Aurora 3.5 handles pretty well because it isn't as nose heavy as the 4.0 and has decent pick up, but the 4.0 is faster and sounds way better.

03 Auroras should be under $10k, 02-03 STS are always cheap also, can't go wrong with either. I suggest getting a warranty though. If something breaks they are expensive. My torque converter broke, and to fix it they had to drop the transmission (the 4T80 is over 300 pounds and one place I called wouldn't even work on them) to get to it, then take the sidewall off to change a solenoid. The Cadillac dealer wanted $2800 for this, luckily I went to a local transmission guy and he did it for $1450. Needless to say I won't be going back to the dealer.

I have seen 05-06 CTS with 50k miles for $13-14,000 to throw that out there.

Thanks for being honest SMK. A little floatly isn't bad. Honestly do people have pretty good luck with the 4T80E and Northstar powertrain? I only will get RWD on an f-body, the CTS are a good deal but don't want one, would rather have the Northstar and FWD. I live in Iowa and get plenty of snow...

2005 STS can go to under $20,000. V8 and awd might be low 20s, which isn't a bad deal since they were $55k+ 3 years ago. I've seen STS-V's for $35-40,000, why get a new CTS when a 2 year old STS-V is cheaper. Cadillac resale value is horrid, which kills their new car sales, but for used cars they are a good deal.

2005 STS can go to under $20,000. V8 and awd might be low 20s, which isn't a bad deal since they were $55k+ 3 years ago. I've seen STS-V's for $35-40,000, why get a new CTS when a 2 year old STS-V is cheaper. Cadillac resale value is horrid, which kills their new car sales, but for used cars they are a good deal.

Is Cadillac's resale really helped by you and people like you beating the "Cadillac sux at everything they do and should just die already!" drum?

Ah I want a V8. I really don't want to spend more than 10K total. No more, so 20K is out of the question, I have always liked the 98-04 Sevilles my rich brother in law had a 99 STS it was a sweet car, he traded on a 2002 DHS, then a 2005 DHS just last summer he got a 2008 STS 4. FWD is the reason I am considering an Seville and I don't want another Bonneville, or a LeSabre and the Aurora's aren't my cup of tea. Although my sons likes them. The Seville/Firebird are on the top of my list. I like the CTS but still say no if we get a four door I want a fullsize or nearly fullsize with FWD and V8. I had a 1992 Deville with the 4.9L and loved it and yes it floated a little bit.

Edited by gm4life

I've owned a 1995 Cadillac Eldorado ETC (which is the same as a Seville STS) and I LOVED that car. I've owned several Northstars afterwards (2000 DeVille DTS and, driven on many occassions, the Seville STS) - and never had any serious problems. The Northstar is an excellent engine and will last a long, long time as long as the cooling system was maintained. There's plenty (plenty, plenty of information on this at my forum, cadillacforums.com).

People can say anything they like about FWD vs RWD, but when I owned these FWD Northstar cars, I was the only luxury car on the road rolling through thick snow and ice without any issues. BMW 7-Series, Mercedes S-Class and Lexus LS vehicles were all over the road, fishtailing and getting stuck. Maybe they didn't have snow tires on.. So what? Neither did I...

The STS is quite a bit stiffer than the SLS. These are GREAT looking cars (timeless) with VERY comfortable and luxurious interiors.

If you want more answers than you can handle, check my forum.

Edited by Sal Collaziano

01 or newer STS then, because in 01 they got new 17 inch wheels, HID headlamps and a couple other features. In 2002 or 2003 it became the first car with XM radio, I think 02, because I got my car in 03 and installed XM to it. I always liked the gauges in the 98-04 Seville.

Don't buy any Pontiac, all that plastic on the interior will fall apart.

You realize gm4life owns 2 Pontiacs, right? :P

Everything else you said seems like decent advice though. I was considering the same car (Seville) for a moment.

All the 00's are K bodies according to my catalog except for the RWD D cars like limos and hursts. The North* is a nightmare from hell to work on and mechanics hate them. They are fantastic engines and tons of power and the cars are beatiful and ride magnificently as long as everything works. I disagree about the interior on the 90's Pontiacs at least if its a Bonneville. The Caddy's cool as long as you get a good enough deal and are prepared to pay for the repairs and the possbility of only getting a dealer to touch it whereas with 3.8 car anbody can work on it. Caddy's can be pretty scary to own out of warranty. Just the suspension alone could be a nightmare. There is just so much more to go wrong versus say a Bonne SE. It just depends on how much you can afford to spend on repairs.

Well I won't have the dealer on speed dial lets put it that way. Thanks for the help but the Seville is in the running. Will alot of this stuff go wrong on a 6 or 7 year old Seville. My 13 year old Sedan Deville with many techno gadgets had hardly any problems. I can pay for labor and stuff to wrong but if it will be in the shop ever month then I am getting scared. As for the Northstar being hard to work I have heard that but if you take care of them and run then to the redline in second gear you will get better fuel economy and get rid of the "build up" in them. Overall aside of some electrical issues do they have problems with the electric ride control and such? Do the 4T80E have lots of problems? What about the Northstar itself? On the 2002-2004 years? I only take my cars to a Chev, Buick, Pontiac dealer south of my town in a small town of 2,000.

Edited by gm4life

I think overall they are good cars, but most Caddy owners take them to the Caddy dealer so we don't see many. With proper maintenance and blowing out the cobwebs once in a while yes I think could make all the difference. I have sold tons of struts on them but theres a bulletin out to do away with the $900 a piece struts if you don't want to pay for them. Theres always some risk of course with a car that advanced, but it could be worth it to some. If you really want it, go for it. It is a Caddy afterall. :AH-HA_wink: I adore them, just don't have the means to repair them if necessary. Oh and the 4T80E is quite bullet proof.

I think overall they are good cars, but most Caddy owners take them to the Caddy dealer so we don't see many. With proper maintenance and blowing out the cobwebs once in a while yes I think could make all the difference. I have sold tons of struts on them but theres a bulletin out to do away with the $900 a piece struts if you don't want to pay for them. Theres always some risk of course with a car that advanced, but it could be worth it to some. If you really want it, go for it. It is a Caddy afterall. :AH-HA_wink: I adore them, just don't have the means to repair them if necessary. Oh and the 4T80E is quite bullet proof.

Well that is good to hear that they are pretty good cars. So are they doing away with the struts and going to what? Good to hear about the 4T80E also. Thanks for all the help, I have a nephew who works at a GM dealer that doesn't sell Cadillac new but said they need to get cobs out of them alot... Any other info is always welcome.

Well that is good to hear that they are pretty good cars. So are they doing away with the struts and going to what? Good to hear about the 4T80E also. Thanks for all the help, I have a nephew who works at a GM dealer that doesn't sell Cadillac new but said they need to get cobs out of them alot... Any other info is always welcome.

They offer a replacement set of struts that aren't electroncially controlled and a relay to turn off the suspension light so people can have suspension without having to pay so much for struts. Pretty cool really, but most people opt to pay the money in order to maintain the ride for which the Caddy is known. Honestly, call a service writer at a local Caddy dealer and pick his brain a bit. Everybody is dead right now, we're all just sitting around, unless you get an a-hole, you should get good info from him or her. I love bull$h!ting with customers, fine by me. Maybe they'll remember me and come back.

I do believe the struts in the 1992 Seville are the same as those in later models like the 1997...

my dad has put off putting struts in his seville, but his is a 92, and i don't think those in any way are electronic, although he did say they are expensive and he is as tight as it gets. but he said they were extremely costly, is it the same type of deal?

They offer a replacement set of struts that aren't electroncially controlled and a relay to turn off the suspension light so people can have suspension without having to pay so much for struts. Pretty cool really, but most people opt to pay the money in order to maintain the ride for which the Caddy is known. Honestly, call a service writer at a local Caddy dealer and pick his brain a bit. Everybody is dead right now, we're all just sitting around, unless you get an a-hole, you should get good info from him or her. I love bull$h!ting with customers, fine by me. Maybe they'll remember me and come back.

Struts on all GM cars I have replaced have been a screwing. Honestly is it double that is fine. Much more than that I say no. How much are they on a LeSabre or Bonneville? How much are they on a Seville. I would pick the brain of local Caddy dealer except they used to honest and easy to deal with and they went down hill. Speaking of which gmpartsgirl can a dealer that sells Buick, Chevrolet and Pontiac work on a Seville? Or do the Cadillac's require special things? Since the Northstar made its way into the Lucerne and Bonneville GXP of which they sold both I find that hard to belief. I am aware of more expensive parts for Caddy's and a slight premium would not bother so long as I am not replacing everything. In a Seville is the ride bad with out the electric struts? Or just more firm? (Because that might not be a bad thing...)

my dad has put off putting struts in his seville, but his is a 92, and i don't think those in any way are electronic, although he did say they are expensive and he is as tight as it gets. but he said they were extremely costly, is it the same type of deal?

The struts on the '92 fit up to '95 and aren't electronic. The fronts come as a set of 2 for $270. Not bad really. The rears are discontinued though unfortunately.

Struts on all GM cars I have replaced have been a screwing. Honestly is it double that is fine. Much more than that I say no. How much are they on a LeSabre or Bonneville? How much are they on a Seville. I would pick the brain of local Caddy dealer except they used to honest and easy to deal with and they went down hill. Speaking of which gmpartsgirl can a dealer that sells Buick, Chevrolet and Pontiac work on a Seville? Or do the Cadillac's require special things? Since the Northstar made its way into the Lucerne and Bonneville GXP of which they sold both I find that hard to belief. I am aware of more expensive parts for Caddy's and a slight premium would not bother so long as I am not replacing everything. In a Seville is the ride bad with out the electric struts? Or just more firm? (Because that might not be a bad thing...)

Any GM dealer can work on any GM vehicle except in the case of original factory warranty repairs unless they sold it used. If special tools are required, we just borrow them from one another. Really parts prices are bad across the board, Caddy isn't necessarily more expensive in terms of parts prices, they just typically have more parts to go wrong and more to go wrong electronically which in terms of labor can be very expensive to chase down. Also, the Northstar is alot of engine stuffed in there so book times tend to be high because its difficult to work on as is the 4.0 Aurora. The ride isn't bad, just different, not quite as smooth as boaty as one is accustomed too. Maybe a bit stiffer in the back.

And not all of them have the stupid expensive struts on them, most do but not all. I did some double checking since I'm at work. That bulletin applies to many GM vehicles with ESC but only goes to mid 90's, so the newer ones you're pretty much stuck.

And not all of them have the stupid expensive struts on them, most do but not all. I did some double checking since I'm at work. That bulletin applies to many GM vehicles with ESC but only goes to mid 90's, so the newer ones you're pretty much stuck.

Well thank you for all your help. You can bet one of two things, I will be picking up a Cadillac Seville or an F-body. I just will be waiting until spring or summer.

The struts on the '92 fit up to '95 and aren't electronic. The fronts come as a set of 2 for $270. Not bad really. The rears are discontinued though unfortunately.

must be the labor then that my dad was being a whiny as-s about. i'm like 'dad, it costs money to have a shop and tools and all of that'.

And my dad is an ex implement / diesel mechanic.

i suppose maybe he figures he gave away his time so everyone else's is overvalued....LOL

struts in general are kind of expensive. i had a few quotes to replace struts and shocks on my 'tek, 800-1000 bucks including labor.

Edited by regfootball

Good point how is your new SLE?

Enjoying it profusely. :)

One mechanical thing though: I can't engage the parking brake. I think there's something wrong with the cable somewhere, but I haven't had the time (or the good weather) to go look at it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised my dad hasn't chimed in here...

Our family is currently is on our third Seville.

First was a 96 SLS - owned from 25k till around 90k. Only repair if I remember correctly was an alternator. Car was very reliable, smooth and rock solid on the highway, and got great gas mileage.

Second was a 97 STS - owned from 85k (?) till almost 140k. Daily driven, also rock solid and FAST. My favorite of the Seville model's lifetime, really. Lighter than the 98+ models and had the higher compression (pre-2000) Northstar. Needed struts when we got rid of it but other than that, needed absolutely nothing besides routine maintenance and a thorough tune up at 100k.

Third and current is a 2002 STS - acquired with ~50k, currently around 80k. Unfortunately the car was damaged while being trailered to NH and the place that repaired it trashed the interior. Issues: navigation system was replaced a couple of times under warranty, works great now (irrelevant if you are looking at cars w/out nav); intermediate steering shaft was replaced - relatively inexpensive repair and I believe the replacement part is a newer, better engineered piece; steering wheel shimmy on the highway which is currently suspected to be the result of one or more bent wheels. Besides the nav and intermediate steering shaft, any issues with this car have just been the results of bad luck. Still a very nice car to drive with many nice features, especially with the premium package.

Definitely check out CadillacForums. You should find that the powertrain in these cars is solid as long as the cooling system is well maintained. Struts after 100k are the big repair as far as suspension goes, but my Audi makes the Seville look like a Honda/Toyota when it comes to suspension repairs. :banghead:

Edited by bcs296