GM @ NAIAS '09: 2010 Chevy Equinox

2010 CHEVROLET EQUINOX:

A COMPACT CROSSOVER FOR ALL SEASONS – AND ALL LIFESTYLES

x10ct_eq001-1280.jpg

(More photos below)

All-new crossover delivers expected segment-best highway fuel economy

DETROIT – Chevrolet unveiled the all-new 2010 Equinox, a compact crossover that blends distinctive design with outstanding efficiency. A new, 2.4L direct injection engine helps the Equinox deliver expected best-in-segment estimated highway fuel economy of 30 mpg (EPA certification pending) – a 25-percent improvement over the previous model. Chevrolet expects nearly two-thirds of customers will choose the efficient, 2.4L engine.

The new Equinox draws its exterior design inspiration from the Chevrolet Malibu sedan and Traverse crossover; and like those vehicles, the new Equinox complements its styling with attention to detail and unexpected features, according to Ed Peper, GM North America vice president, Chevrolet.

The Equinox makes its world debut at the North American Auto Show in Detroit next month.

"At a time when customers are so concerned about the fuel efficiency of their vehicle, the Equinox delivers," said Peper. "It offers the roominess and capability of a crossover with great fuel economy. Equinox will provide customers a vehicle filled with refinement, comfort and great value."

The 2010 Equinox goes on sale in mid-2009. It is available in LS, LT and LTZ trim, with available all-wheel-drive. Two new engines are offered, each with fuel-saving direct injection and variable valve timing technology. Vehicle highlights include:

-New 2.4L Ecotec direct injected I-4 engine estimated at 182 horsepower (135 kW), which delivers an estimated 30 mpg highway, 21 mpg city (EPA certification pending)

-New 3.0L DOHC direct injected V-6 engine estimated at 255 horsepower (190 kW), which delivers an estimated 25 mpg highway, 18 mpg city (EPA certification pending)

-Driving range of more than 500 miles (800 km) with both engines, for less-frequent fill-ups

-Six standard air bags: dual frontal air bags; head curtain side air bags and pelvic/thorax seat-mounted side air bags

-Standard four-wheel disc brakes with StabiliTrak electronic stability control and traction control

-Standard OnStar and XM Satellite Radio

-"Smart" remote starting system that also activates the HVAC system and optional heated seats depending on the outside temperature

"With the 2010 Equinox, we focused on appealing to the senses – from the overall design to the feel of the interior," said Peper.

Design details

The design features Chevy's signature global face – the two-tier grille and prominent gold Bowtie insignia. Strong fender shapes, a distinctive premium roofline, wraparound headlamps and dual round taillamps are additional elements that define Equinox as a true Chevrolet, Peper said.

"The new Equinox blends function and style into a very sporty, yet upscale compact crossover," said Ed Welburn, vice president of GM Global Design. "Both the exterior and interior surprise and delight with careful attention to detail."

Additional design features include:

A multi-dimensional hood and wraparound rear side glass and a wheels-at-the-corners stance

Improved aerodynamic performance through a number of carefully designed exterior features, including moving the base of the windshield forward approximately three inches (75 mm) for a sleeker profile

Equinox's rocker panels are integrated into the doors to make it easier to get in and out of the vehicle. They narrow the area over which a passenger must step, offering protection for pant legs that could brush against dirty rockers. Also, the select use of chrome trim and flush-fitting "exposed-edge" windshield and rear glass reinforce Equinox's build quality and reduce wind noise.

Dimensionally, the Equinox rides on the same 112.5-inch wheelbase (2,857 mm), but is about one inch (25 mm) shorter in length and an inch wider. It also has a wider front track that enhances the ride and handling.

Interior amenities, storage and flexibility

Inside, the Equinox features attention to detail – including a number of storage bins, such as an oversized glove box; a closed storage bin in the instrument panel above the center stack; and closed storage under the center armrest large enough for a laptop computer.

A "floating" center stack houses a multitude of ergonomic comfort and convenience controls. Contemporary, ice-blue ambient lighting – featured within and surrounding the center stack, encircling the center-console cupholders and within the door pull cups – accentuates the cabin. The front and rear seats, which include cloth and uplevel, perforated leather-trimmed offerings, were developed to help deliver best-in-class comfort.

The new Equinox retains its MultiFlex rear seat capability, which allows the seat to be moved fore or aft nearly eight inches (203 mm), for the best rear legroom in its class. With the 60/40-split-back rear seat moved all the way forward, the cargo area offers 31.4 cubic feet (889 liters) of storage.

The Equinox's cabin is notable for its quietness. Noise-absorbing elements are built into the chassis, engine compartment and interior.

Convenience, infotainment and connectivity

A variety of technologies are integrated in the Equinox, such as an available seven-inch touch-screen navigation system. Additional features also include:

-Bluetooth hands-free phone connectivity

-USB audio connectivity

-DVD-based rear-seat entertainment system with two independent screens to enable DVD viewing on one and gaming on the other

-Internal memory/hard drive on uplevel radios for storing audio selections

-Power, programmable rear liftgate

-Rear-vision camera system, with display in the rearview mirror or in the navigation screen

-Range of premium-feature audio systems with up to eight speakers and 250 watts of output

Chassis and suspension

The 2010 Equinox is built on a body-integral structure with single-piece body side stampings and targeted applications of high-strength steel. Those elements form the foundation of a solid, quiet driving experience, according to Peper. The strong structure enabled engineers to tune the four-wheel-independent suspension system for greater control and driver feedback.

Standard and available features include:

-Available all wheel drive

-Family of 17-, 18- and 19-inch alloy wheels

-Fuel-saving electric power steering system

The rack-mounted electric power steering system provides greater fuel efficiency of on 2.4L-equipped models that saves nearly 11 miles per tank of gas, or about 572 miles per year (assuming one fill-up per week). With the Equinox's estimated 30 mpg on the highway, the electric power steering system saves the equivalent of approximately one tank of gas each year.

"With the outstanding interior execution and comfort, the stunning exterior design, numerous chassis improvements, and the connectivity to the outside world, the new Equinox is the favorite ride among our engineers," said Tim Herrick, chief engineer. "I have to pull the keys out of their hands in order to take it for a spin myself."

Chevrolet is one of America's best-known and best-selling automotive brands. With the largest dealer network in the United States, Chevrolet delivers more-than-expected value in every vehicle category, offering cars and trucks priced from $12,120 to $103,300. Chevy delivers expressive design, spirited performance and great value with standard features usually found only on more expensive vehicles.

Very tight in all areas. A quantum leap above the current Equinox. I am pleased they didn't try to squeeze a tiny third row seat in there, it would just be in the way. Love the style inside and out, and the powertrains continue GM's industry leadership. Well done. Edited by ocnblu

I really like the exterior design, and the interior design is quite good as well. However, looking at some of these pictures, it doesn't seem like there was that much attention to detail in terms of the pieces of the dash/center stack all fitting together tightly and cohesively.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/live-2010-chevrolet-equinox/

All in all, I'm not sure I would pick any other vehicle in class over the new 'Nox, depending on how it drives, of course. Fuel economy for the I4 is quite impressive, the CRV gets 20/27 and is smaller.

From teh side it reminds me of the Outlook/Acadia, which is no bad thing. Overall it looks much more expensive, with good proportions too. The interior looks really nice, especially the center stack, although it looks a little cheap in Autoblog's photos. However the Chevy officials said it would be better for productions models, so we'll see.

Overall if I were in the market for a "small" to small-medium CUV I would have this near the top of my list along with the Journey. The Journey's exterior styling is still my favorite, and it has lots of useful features. That said the interior design of the Equinox blows the Journey's away...only thing is the Journey actually has soft touch areas on the dash. Of course as long as the armrests, steering wheel, and seats are soft I don't mind at all. Also the Equinox has the Journey beat in the powertrain department.

I think the most impressive aspects of this new CUV are the interior design and powertrains / EPA numbers.

Edited by Dodgefan

The interior is very well done. The rear 3/4 makes the new vehicle look like an enhancement to the older version - some indifference there.

I'm impressed, much better looking that the current Equinox. The 2.4L DI engine will be an excellent option for those that want the room/utility and are willing to sacrifice 0-60 for better fuel economy.

How does it compare to the Captiva, which is found on the other side of the pond around you?

looks- very nice, inside and out. i think the lights are kinda weird though...

questions... is 500miles / 25 mpg highway = 20gallon tank, really needed? i could totally see a ~16-17 gallon tank, but 20?

6 speeds for both engines? that will be good.

the gas saved by ..1 fill up a week, for the electric power steering system...only a "few people" are going to be driving an equivalent of ~20+ hours per week in the "city".

this does seem like it will be class leading.

looks- very nice, inside and out. i think the lights are kinda weird though...

questions... is 500miles / 25 mpg highway = 20gallon tank, really needed? i could totally see a ~16-17 gallon tank, but 20?

Well, perhaps not, but you don't have to fill it up if you don't want to fill all 20 gallons.

Looks good for the most part....good they finally dumped the old 3400 V-6.....however it has LESS cargo space than not only the current model (63.7 cubic feet seat down), but also the Edge and Journey, etc. WHY DO CROSSOVERS HAVE LESS CARGO ROOM THAN STATION WAGONS OF 15 YEARS AGO?????!!!

Headlights look a little Sebring-like but not nearly as bad, but other than an utter, inexcusable lack of cargo room its a pretty nice update. Now I like the looks of the GMC Terrain so far, but what's the point of that?

I am not a fan of the C-pillar and rear window design, but I don't really like any SUVs. The plastic on the door panels looks a little cheap, this is a weakness of the Malibu as well. Massive improvement over the current version, but I think the Edge is slightly nicer. 4 and 6 cylinder options should attract a wider range of buyers though. The Saab, Cadillac and GMC versions look like they share some sheet metal, this is going to be the Lambda quadruplets competing with each other part 2.

I think it falls between the Escape and Edge size wise.

The headlights remind me of the Pacifica's refresh.

This Equinox is 187.8 inches long, the Edge is about 186, an Escape is only 175. Size-wise the Edge and Equinox are very close. All 3 tow 3500 pounds, but the Escape is body on frame, the other two are crossovers. Most people won't know the crossover vs SUV difference though, to me they are all SUVs and crossover vs suv is splitting hairs.

We'll have to see what the pricing on the Nox is. Escape starts at $20k for a really basic version with manual. Edge starts at $26k.

Edited by smk4565

the current equinox represents one of the bigger missed attempts at making an upscale family car everyone agrees is good; this is the complete reversal of that. i love the new upscale family pitch; I think it can command a higher price now so long as the refinement in the drive is also much improved and the quality of the interior lives up to these photos. I like the tie-ins to the Trailblazer, which is still really good looking despite dated surface elements, in the profile and D-pillar and the front. my major complaint would be a rear that appears gross in comparison to the rest, minivan-ish and distinctly indistinct and Korean. hold outlook, you stole my headlights...they look way cool here too. i kinda think they didn't go far enough in making it less conservative. I've never been a fan of GM not having brand-specific design language for the interiors, and the trend continues to dominate here, but it's a good looking design and works here.

I've never been a fan of GM not having brand-specific design language for the interiors, and the trend continues to dominate here, but it's a good looking design and works here.

How do you figure, the dual cowl design is pretty unique to Chevy and has been their design language since the Malibu.

How do you figure, the dual cowl design is pretty unique to Chevy and has been their design language since the Malibu.

One could even go back to old Corvettes for that interior styling theme. I think that's where the inspiration comes from :AH-HA_wink:

Chevy is really steping it up when it comes to their new vehicles. The Interiors are the best Ive ever see in my opinion, and the Exterior styling looks really modern and sharp at the same time.

I must say... I am VERY impressed! I think it looks great inside and out!

Random Comments:

1) The profile view reminds me a lot of the SRX... That concerns me.

2) The front is VERY (scary) close in design to the new Vue... That really concerns me as well.

3) GM needs to market this, the Traverse and the Malibu as a new "family" of Chevrolet vehicles. These ads need to play up amenities, fuel economy, refinement, awards (can't tell you how mad I am about GM *FINALLY* marketing the Malibu as 2008 NA COTY, when it is about to lose the title to a 2009 contender :rolleyes:) and comments from the media.

4) The Thetas all seem to be very similar... That makes me a little nervous. But that philosophy seems to be working for the Lambdas, so whatever, I guess.

a rear that appears gross in comparison to the rest, minivan-ish and distinctly indistinct and Korean. hold outlook, you stole my headlights...they look way cool here too. i kinda think they didn't go far enough in making it less conservative. I've never been a fan of GM not having brand-specific design language for the interiors, and the trend continues to dominate here, but it's a good looking design and works here.

I agree... this whole 'everything looks like everything else' trend at GM is really scaring me (kinda like they're moving toward a one or two division philosophy) That WAS a big benefit of the brand management days. Each division has a distinct design language (despite most of them being horribly executed) I'm also not a big fan of the push to "organic look".

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

dual cowl works really well. but i'm talking components more than anything. the HVAC and radio design, and the center stack layout cribbed from every new GM vehicle. the brushed alluminum meets two tone, which is totally fashionable and ideal, but getting less and less unique. it's not that that's a bad thing necessarily, but were I the one running the show, I would put emphasis on creating a world when you're in the car that is a unique and seperate experience. I would go the extra $600 and keep buyers coming back to me because they can't get the feeling I create anywhere else. despite major reliability setbacks poor perceptions and low resale, audi keeps surviving in the US.......

dual cowl works really well. but i'm talking components more than anything. the HVAC and radio design, and the center stack layout cribbed from every new GM vehicle. the brushed alluminum meets two tone, which is totally fashionable and ideal, but getting less and less unique. it's not that that's a bad thing necessarily, but were I the one running the show, I would put emphasis on creating a world when you're in the car that is a unique and seperate experience. I would go the extra $600 and keep buyers coming back to me because they can't get the feeling I create anywhere else. despite major reliability setbacks poor perceptions and low resale, audi keeps surviving in the US.......

Well if you want unique you'll notice that this is the first vehicle (unless maybe you count the CTS) to have it's own, fully integrated center stack controls. That's pretty unique IMO.

Well if you want unique you'll notice that this is the first vehicle (unless maybe you count the CTS) to have it's own, fully integrated center stack controls. That's pretty unique IMO.

I think he means unique like the Camaro (and CTS i guess). Aside from the steering wheel (if that), nothing in the interior looks like something from another GM interior.

I think they should have done some evolution of the rectangular headlights that the Trailblazer has and Silverado used to have. It looks too rounded and like a Saturn up front, Chevy trucks used to look at little more rugged. The headlights look like they are from a Pacifica or Acadia, the Equinox could get lost in the crowd a little bit. Same with the Traverse, it doesn't say Chevy to me.

Looks good for the most part....good they finally dumped the old 3400 V-6.....however it has LESS cargo space than not only the current model (63.7 cubic feet seat down), but also the Edge and Journey, etc. WHY DO CROSSOVERS HAVE LESS CARGO ROOM THAN STATION WAGONS OF 15 YEARS AGO?????!!!

Headlights look a little Sebring-like but not nearly as bad, but other than an utter, inexcusable lack of cargo room its a pretty nice update. Now I like the looks of the GMC Terrain so far, but what's the point of that?

They have less room because flat screens fit in these easier. :lol:

The Saturn front is ok as it is a little less plastic looking and the Saturn will go away any how.

The outside should sell well as some of the imports are just flat ugly and they do well. I think the interior will sell this vehicle as it looks very pleasing and the duel colors make it look much more expensive.

WIth the lack of marketing for the Traverse and the Nox being cheaper I see this hurting the sales of the Traverse. Before the old Nox would have helped the Traverse.

THis one is a major step up and should help in the turning of GM.

Now if the economy will just start to slow its decline and turn around.

Edited by hyperv6

It has less cargo room because GM's marketing guys are complete morons who think this is a compact crossover. In reality it is sized between the Edge and Highlander, it will be priced similarly to the Edge and Highlander, and has fuel economy slightly better than the Edge and Highlander. What it doesn't have is the width of the Edge and Highlander, which adds up to much more space. That was the problem last time, and this time, although wider, it is still behind. Calling this a compact removes it from the consideration list for a whole pack of midsize crossover buyers, the reduced space engendered by the narrower width removes it from more, but compact buyers will take one look and say, "Whoaa!, that's a lot bigger than I was looking for." Instead of winning by offering more truck for the money, you lose in both market segments. GM does this time after time after time. If you're going to compete in a segment, compete in a segment, don't try and get clever by telling buyers a dog is a cat. You just look stupid.

The new 2.4 offers great mileage, but the 3.0 is only a marginal improvement over the old 3.6, and offers less power. I can't help thinking a 3.6 DI with the 6-speed auto, even if detuned for better economy, would have been at least as economical and been a better match against the Edge and Highlander. But of course GM thinks they are competing against the Escape and C-RV, so what can you expect.

It has less cargo room because GM's marketing guys are complete morons who think this is a compact crossover. In reality it is sized between the Edge and Highlander, it will be priced similarly to the Edge and Highlander, and has fuel economy slightly better than the Edge and Highlander. What it doesn't have is the width of the Edge and Highlander, which adds up to much more space. That was the problem last time, and this time, although wider, it is still behind. Calling this a compact removes it from the consideration list for a whole pack of midsize crossover buyers, the reduced space engendered by the narrower width removes it from more, but compact buyers will take one look and say, "Whoaa!, that's a lot bigger than I was looking for." Instead of winning by offering more truck for the money, you lose in both market segments. GM does this time after time after time. If you're going to compete in a segment, compete in a segment, don't try and get clever by telling buyers a dog is a cat. You just look stupid.

The new 2.4 offers great mileage, but the 3.0 is only a marginal improvement over the old 3.6, and offers less power. I can't help thinking a 3.6 DI with the 6-speed auto, even if detuned for better economy, would have been at least as economical and been a better match against the Edge and Highlander. But of course GM thinks they are competing against the Escape and C-RV, so what can you expect.

??? The Equinox is bigger than the Escape; the Traverse is bigger than the Highlander. Not sure what your point is. I would have hoped for a smaller Equinox, personally. We sold a lot of Trackers, once upon a time. I'm all for fuel mileage improvements. Didn't one of the websites say that passenger volume (whatever the hell that is) was lost because the windshield is more raked?

Other than magazines, I don't think the public gives a crap about statistics. They will sit in the vehicle, drive it and decide for themself if it suits them. The point is, the vehicle has to look nice enough for them to even bother going that far. The new 'Nox certainly addresses that, IMO.

I'm sure we lost sales to the Escape with the current Nox, but the back seat certainly kicks ass.

My point is you can't build a car as big as a midsize model and sell it to someone who wants a compact, no matter how nice it is, or how cheap it is. By calling it a compact all they do is tell people who are interested in a vehicle this size, like the Edge or Highlander, that they shouldn't consider the Equinox.

The rake of the windshield does not affect measured interior room, because it isn't calculated that way. The EPA volume index, is just that, an index, not actual volume. It is calculated by multiplying headroom, legroom and shoulder room for each row of seats, and then adding the SAE cargo volume (which is based on actual room, albeit how much stuff you can fit in, not fluid volume).

The new Equinox is a mid-size (as was the old one), this will be getting the old Trailblazer/Envoy crowd and competing with the Edge and Highlander. I am guessing they make base price around $24,990 and run it to $35k with features like nav system and back up camera. It is too big and will be too pricey to compete with the Escape or CR-V. Which is fine, mid-sizers do well, and I suppose the HHR will serve as their compact utility vehicle.

Griffon is right. GM did this with the TrailBlazer and other GMT-360s, too. Compared to the Explorer, those were MUCH narrower and had even less usable space due to wheel well intrusion, and curved interior walls/surfaces that resulted in a cargo opening that was markedly smaller in "diameter" than the rest of the cargo hold. Retarded.

POST OF THE YEAR!!!!!

I get so tired of GM trying to 'make up their own segments'

If you're going to try and conquest import buyers, then give them something SIMILAR (READ: something that actually competes with) their import.

Nothing like confusing the buyer even more.... :rolleyes:

That pretty much explains everything regarding GM's marketing euphoria. GM is basically breeding transsexuals at least through advertisements. Equinox, GMT 360, Caddy CTS. Trying to match the value of the upper segment with the price of the lower segment. While they think this strategy will get both buyers, what happens is common people do not understand the vehicle just like they have hard time understanding if a transsexual is a he, she or it. I know it was a gross comparison, but the point seems to be made.

The Equinox is an inch wider this time around, but it needed to be 3 or four inches wider—real extra width on the inside. Another two inches width on the inside would boost passenger space from a measly 99.7 cu-ft to a respectable 103.2 cu-ft. A comparable increase in cargo room as well would give it 65.9 cu-ft behind the front row, better than the Murano and not far off the Edge and Touareg, and 32.5 behind the 2nd row with the seats forward, lagging only the longer Highlander. Three inches wider, what it really needs, would give you shoulder room comparable to the Edge and Murano, 105.1 cu-ft of passenger room, 67.1 cu-ft and 33.1 cu-ft cargo room.

FYI, the 5-seat version of the Captiva, much closer to a being a genuine compact at a little over 4.6 m long, actually offers more passenger room than the Equinox, 103.6 cu-ft.

Buyers may not care about statistics, but I'd argue they notice 3" difference in shoulder room and 10" extra vehicle length. After all the Equinox is more than a foot longer than an HHR, and that is already longer than an Escape.

For comparison, the GMC Graphyte and Saab 9-4X concepts are almost exactly the same length as the Equinox.