What simple pleasures do you enjoy?

Well then, as I said the other day, maybe it's time to visit a certain C&G member a few states over.

I'm not sure what I'd even do if I tried architecture, even for kicks, as now everything is done on computer. When I did it, you had your 10 types of pencils, your tools, a bag of eraser powder (forgot what that was called), and your red eyes from that powder getting in them ;)

LOL. That would be a LOT of exercise for your car and a big gas bill.

About the computer for architecture, it's unbelievable. It's actually made it bearable. You can try all these little "nips and tucks" to the project by pushing a few buttons...and it's real fast. And mind you, you still always do the initial conceptual sketches on paper. That will always stay.

About the computer for architecture, it's unbelievable. It's actually made it bearable. You can try all these little "nips and tucks" to the project by pushing a few buttons...and it's real fast. And mind you, you still always do the initial conceptual sketches on paper. That will always stay.

Well, not that bad--I've considered visiting my friends in NC, and that's further. ;)

I'll stick to one day going back to drawing and painting. See if it relaxes me like it used to--if I can find the time.

True true--but there are other qualities in a guy I like that women rarely possess (not talking about that--get your mind out of the gutter!) ;)

Gutter? My mind is in the sewer - I aspire to climb into the gutter one day.

unfortunately the dependence on the computer and lack of teaching drafting means more and more people in the business who can't even read or visualize plans, or spaces, or details.

Wow, I TOTALLY forgot about roadtrips... used to LOVE those. But since everyone is married with children, road trips haven't happened any time in the past few years.

And hobbies... I haven't done anything artistic in years. I used to be quite talented... I wonder if I still have it? ;)Mom is still ticked I didn't go into architecture.

your mom should be pleased you didn't.

no pay.

no rewards.

no esteem from outsiders.

no one wants to spend money on making buildings art anymore anyways.

oddly, i took some ed classes in college and gave thought to trying to be a teacher. i know i do not have the mettle to be a teacher. but i know i would be more fulfilled when i came home at night. as an architect, i and tens of thousands of others like me who feel beaten down and all of that look up to you and say 'you are a wise man for not signing up for this BS'.........

Well, not that bad--I've considered visiting my friends in NC, and that's further. ;)

I'll stick to one day going back to drawing and painting. See if it relaxes me like it used to--if I can find the time.

Finding the time to relax is very important IMHO.

Post pics of some of your stuff...I'd love to see it.

Chris

Finding the time to relax is very important IMHO.

Post pics of some of your stuff...I'd love to see it.

Chris

I'd have to go home... mom has some stuff framed hanging up and some other things around the house. She still has this Cezanne painting I did when I was 12 that got shown at a college art show... I always thought it was hideous, but apparently others liked it. Same with the sneaker I drew during a Seinfeld ep.. lol

I'd have to go home... mom has some stuff framed hanging up and some other things around the house.

I'm laughing right now.

When I was a kid, I used to ride my bike to LAX (not a smart thing to do, as little as I was and since it was 6 miles away from our house using busy boulevards) and then I would come home and draw 747s of each and every airline / paint scheme that came to Los Angeles.

I found the sketches cleaning out paperwork after my Dad passed away and busted up laughing. The things parents do....

Oh, yeah, things to relax....drove up to Chico to spend a couple of days...it's one of the largest towns in the less populated "North State," with only around 100,000 people, yet very peaceful and at the foothills of the Sierra. I do this about 4x a year.

Edited by trinacriabob

100,000 ppl? Doesn't sound very chico to me there, Robert.:smilewide:

So your dad saved your drawings. Seems like a good indicator he loved you and was proud of you. Why have you been so hard on your parents here in this forum?

My parents are starting to show their age, they're both 64. Dad goes on and on with his stories and his trivia, and mom drives me crazy with her childlike ways... but they're only human and I know they love me. Time is not waiting for any of us.

Edited by ocnblu

Sounds like a nice trip, Bob. I also find 747's beautiful. Actually, designing the 747 and bringing it into production in the late 60's almost bankrupt Boeing IIRC. A good book came out on the development of the 747 about 6 years ago...and now I can't remember the name of the book.

My father turns 70 on Januray 21. Time is Not with any of us.

Chris

Sounds like a nice trip, Bob. I also find 747's beautiful. Actually, designing the 747 and bringing it into production in the late 60's almost bankrupt Boeing IIRC. A good book came out on the development of the 747 about 6 years ago...and now I can't remember the name of the book.

My father turns 70 on Januray 21. Time is Not with any of us.

Chris

'747: Creating the World's First Jumbo Jet and Other Adventures from a Life in Aviation' by Joe Sutter is an excellent book...Sutter was the project lead on the 747. I read this book last year when I was contracting at a Boeing subsidiary working on navigation charting software--fascinating stuff. I love jets, and really enjoyed working next door to an airport and watching planes take off and land everyday.

Flying home to Phoenix tomorrow, reflecting on spending Xmas w/ my brother & Mom...not getting any younger--my Mom will be 78 January 28, my brother will be 60 next year. My sister is 50 and I'm 38...time flies.....

I'm heading back home to Denver for a few days, going to spend New Years eve w/ some of my closest friends.

Some simple pleasures I enjoy are quality time w/ family and friends, time w/ my dogs, just sitting with a fire going in the fireplace and some favorite music playing...

Rob aka Moltar aka Cubical

Edited by moltar

Is beating the $h! out of a rental car considered a simple pleasure? Because there is an Acadia somewhere in the southeast that may never recover from the things I did to it. Blame Avis for saving the Lucerne (or similar) that I had reserved.