Well... As with Flybrian...

Cory Wolfe

I, too, am again considering selling my 300EX (ATV) and my GA for another car. I still don't know why, either. It's almost like it doesn't satisfy me anymore, but I mean, I do love it as I've said so many times. I just don't know what to do...

Anyways, this thread is just to get some suggestion IF I do decide I want to replace it. Please, no mention of a Fiero. It'll depress me. Also, I'm looking at being able to afford anything up to $4000 or $5000. Again, that's about the limit. It might even be less than that if I can't get as much as I think I can out of my vehicles...

-The first idea I've had is a 95 or 96 Saturn SC2 coupe as I posted in my boredom thread. Any opinions?

-The second idea I've had is an Acura Integra. Although, I'm not sure on its worth. Again, opinions?

And I'd like suggestions too...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, too, am again considering selling my 300EX (ATV) and my GA for another car. I still don't know why, either. It's almost like it doesn't satisfy me anymore, but I mean, I do love it as I've said so many times. I just don't know what to do...

[post="39565"][/post]

I feel bad for a future long-term girlfriend. Bwahahah j/k.

Get this...
Posted Image
...you know you want to. You can be Hell's unemployed.

BTW, I'm trading nothing, guys. Its like we're having an intervention or something. I'd only ever be trading money for another car. :P

Do we need to take into consideration insurance and all that? you can find an early 4th gen Z/28 for around that price i'm sure...(or maybe in your case, a firebird)...or maybe an e30 3 series? I dunno if you're into those, but my friend found a 1988 325 in really clean shape and low miles for 4 grand. They are very fun, solid cars and have a huge aftermarket if you're into that and the car has been very reliable for him. From the sounds of it, you want a car, so I wont go into trucks or SUV's. You could find a later 90's civic in your price range easily and I'm sure they are decent cars. I'll think about it and give you some more ideas later...

You could find a later 90's civic in your price range easily and I'm sure they are decent cars. I'll think about it and give you some more ideas later...

lol... Yeah, I know. There's a 99 Civic EX I really want for...$10,000. :lol: Talk about overpriced when the only vehicles more expensive than it at that dealership are newer SUVs... :rolleyes: :P

Anyways, as much as I don't mind older vehicles, a Fiero is really the only one I'm willing to take a chance with. I'd like something that's from 1993-ish to 1999-ish, if possible.

yea, a prelude would be a cool car...and I know you said you didnt want to hear talk of fieros, but may I ask what the reason for you not being able tog et one is? Do your parents not want you to have one or something? I think that's the reason if i remember correctly...

and I know you said you didnt want to hear talk of fieros, but may I ask what the reason for you not being able tog et one is? Do your parents not want you to have one or something? I think that's the reason if i remember correctly...

Yes... that's why. They have some sort of -what's-it-called- against them. No matter how much proof I show them, they still think its death trap and (what really pissed me off) that its a "queer car". On top of that they think insurance rates will be through the roof (how can it be any worse than a Firebird that they were willing to let me have?). Yeah, I don't pay for insurance... for now, atleast.

NOW we know the rest of the story. Vipes' parents don't want him to have a Fiero because of their concerns over the "Q" word. I don't think the Fiero is "queer", but I guess your dad does, for some reason?

So... why didn't you take a Firebird if they offered to help you buy one, Vipes? A nice V6 Firebird would be a good choice.

Ocn... I really was too pissed at the time. Anyone who remembers the thread I started when this happened could probably concur. I just had nothing to do with them for about a month afterwards... So, actually, it kind of just slipped my mind, but I would have been buying it regardless. Them... help me? :lol:

A Firebird would be cool, though. I'm just hesitant because of the old mathematical equation "16y/o + RWD + PA snow = not good". Rain, too, as that's how my cousin wrecked his Firebird after having his license for two weeks. That and I really want a manual, but as far as I can remember... V6 Firebirds didn't come with sticks. Or did early 4th gens with the DOHC 3.4 come with one? I forget... Also, I'm really trying to stick with a 4cyl for gas mileage.

Oh, forgot about the Prelude mention... Yeah, they're cool as well. I'd love to find one for cheap. Either last gen or the one before it.

BTW, anybody remember that car TRC was talking about? I forget..

Yes, NOS... I am... :D

Anyways, I did a little search on Auto Trader. Gave me some ideas... take a look and give opinions.

[post="39658"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The 3-Series and 9-3 look pretty good if you want to go with something upscale. I'm not sure about the maintainence costs.

The Dodge Avenger looks pretty cool to me (I know zero about them, though).

As an aside, I wouldn't wish a Neon on my worst enemy.

You could check out some 240SXs and Celicas, too. Edited by VarianceJ30

that 3er looks good...it's a 325 coupe too which is cool...so you're not stuck with some silly 318 hatchback or 4 door or something like that...it looks clean, miles are kinda high....I can have the vin checked for you if you're interested...

that 3er looks good...it's a 325 coupe too which is cool...so you're not stuck with some silly 318 hatchback or 4 door or something like that...it looks clean, miles are kinda high....I can have the vin checked for you if you're interested...

Yeah... the mileage is alot higher than I'd want...

Anyways, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. That and I'd would have to first sell my ATV and my GA. That really could take a while and I might not even get what I want out of each. I'm hoping to get atleast $4k, but then that Bimmer is out of the question...

I wish I could say it was, but do not fall for that...I saw a beautiful 1995 M3 for sale that the guy had done a ton of work to for about 5 grand...it was a scam...so is this...do not fall for it...Believe me, if it was for real, I'd be all over it...

I think we need to identify what's important to you? For example, if reliability really important to you, then you should focus in on Japanese and some GM models, otherwise you will get a car that requires a lot of fixing. Do you want fast? Do you want economical? Do you want stylish?

IF you answered yes to the above questions and practicality is not high on your list, then I have two words for you:

HOT

STUFF

Nissans of the 90's were terrific cars with great reliability equal imo, mostly, to Honda Toyota. These are two very desirable cars. But there are many more. I wouldn't have a problem with you getting an F-body though buddy, take care.

I think we need to identify what's important to you? For example, if reliability really important to you, then you should focus in on Japanese and some GM models, otherwise you will get a car that requires a lot of fixing. Do you want fast? Do you want economical? Do you want stylish?

IF you answered yes to the above questions and practicality is not high on your list, then I have two words for you:
HOT

STUFF
Nissans of the 90's were terrific cars with great reliability equal imo, mostly, to Honda Toyota. These are two very desirable cars. But there are many more. I wouldn't have a problem with you getting an F-body though buddy, take care.

[post="39718"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

First off... why'd you send me to Ebay? :P My PC and Ebay do not mix well...

Anyways, I'm looking for fast, reliable, economical, and stylish. Practicality is not in my vocabulary. If it was, Fieros wouldn't be my favorite. But yeah... that's what I want. I think most of the vehicles I've considered in this thread so far pretty much meet most of those. Except for the Saturn SC2, though... It isn't very fast (124hp! Woo!) and probably not very reliable (typical 90's GM, ofcourse).... Huh..

Okay... one more comment like that I'm going to have to ban you from posting in any thread started by me... Seriously... :AH-HA_wink: j/p Anyways, I might actually do this. I am so close to putting a for sale sign on my ATV. Shine it up, hide it's few flaws, fix what little needs fixed, change all fluids, make sure its in top running order, park it down near the road and call up TRADe. Try to get atleast $3k out of it. Then it would be on to my GA... which I'm still very hesitant about. I wish I could find something to my liking that selling just my ATV could cover. Then I'd have too cars... keep the GA since I love it and use it strictly as a beater and/or fix it up. Hmm... Off topic... I've bought more bulbs. Side markers (the ones right beside the headlights) since they're burnt out as well. They always were, though. I've never seen them work. Same with the side marker/reflectors. I don't even know if those are supposed to work... lol, but they don't. I think I should keep it that way. Anywho... I bought something called White Xenon? I think? ...they're blue and shine white. Next I want to get Silverstar parking/signals up front. They're clear, but sine amber. :D Edited by blackviper8891

First off... why'd you send me to Ebay? :P My PC and Ebay do not mix well...

Anyways, I'm looking for fast, reliable, economical, and stylish. Practicality is not in my vocabulary. If it was, Fieros wouldn't be my favorite. But yeah... that's what I want. I think most of the vehicles I've considered in this thread so far pretty much meet most of those. Except for the Saturn SC2, though... It isn't very fast (124hp! Woo!) and probably not very reliable (typical 90's GM, ofcourse).... Huh..

[post="39725"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

you've really got to check those cars out BV. The MR2 is pretty much a modern interpretation of the Fiero, with Ferrari looks and Toyota reliability, and a sweet-ass turbo mid-engine design. The MR2 is possibly my favorite [cheap] car of the '90's. The Integra is also pretty bad-ass, but the most you'll find are pretty beat up, and, for me at least, the integra wasn't worth it unless it was a gs-r or type r. The other link i showed you was a Nissan 240sx, trust me on this you have to drive it to understand why so many of us are pushing you towards it. It's cheap, it's RWD, it's a good-looking car [mine had a front end bra that hid the wierd headlight quirk, other mods can be done to the headlights to make it look more modern, and rims really do something for this design], and it runs fast and reliably. If you can find one in your area i suggest you drive it....

Brookville and theft are never in the same sentence... so it really doesn't concern me. As I remember someone saying... "You have to be retarded to steal a car in Brookville". :P

The other link i showed you was a Nissan 240sx, trust me on this you have to drive it to understand why so many of us are pushing you towards it. It's cheap, it's RWD, it's a good-looking car [mine had a front end bra that hid the wierd headlight quirk, other mods can be done to the headlights to make it look more modern, and rims really do something for this design], and it runs fast and reliably. If you can find one in your area i suggest you drive it....

I know... I read the url. Again, my PC and ebay are total enemies. The last time I went there, it f**ked up my PC bad enough that it wouldn't do anything for a few days. I ended up having to clean it out (but not completely like when it was full of viruses and spyware). Currently, it's on life support. And it pisses me the hell off. If I disappear suddenly, it's probably because threw it out the f**king window...

Anyways, yeah, that's the car I think TRC kept talking about. I like them, but they are super rare around here. I think I've only seen one... ever. I didn't even know they were available in the US until a year ago or so. So... if I ever find one cheap enough and close to me, I'll definitely be sure to check it out. Edited by blackviper8891

If you can afford European maintenance, how about a Corrado? Dare I suggest a Probe GT? Beautiful body, real throaty V-6, quite fun. Prelude and Integra are good choices also. You don't seem too interested in passengers, so I'll stop there.

If you can afford European maintenance, how about a Corrado?

Dare I suggest a Probe GT?  Beautiful body, real throaty V-6, quite fun.

Prelude and Integra are good choices also.

You don't seem too interested in passengers, so I'll stop there.

[post="40016"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

def the crap man go for the corrado.... id rather get a nice little car like that than a saturn soory i like corrados

the gt is prolly your second best option probes are nice my friend has one he loves it it drives well and economy is pretty good

one vote against the probe here, if it's the 3.0 ford "vulcan" v6 (which i believe it is), it's not going to be horribly reliable, or fast, or pretty sounding. corrados are okay, but they tend to be old, and worn out. volkswagens are rattle traps and not the king of reliability either...

As far as your suggestions go, I don't think you can go wrong with either of those cars. Everyone I know who owns/owned an SC2 swears that they're pretty bulletproof, if a little unrefined. The Acura will be all right as well, except you may be left wanting more usable power.

If you're pretty sure you can get 3K for your 300EX, and another 1K or so for your GA, that might be enough to get you into a high-mileage 97-up Grand Prix GT, like this one, or maybe even a GTP.

Good idea on the Corrado Mute...Those are awesome cars. They are pretty comparable to 944's which were also awesome cars (correct me if I'm wrong but were they not competitors?, I know different price ranges, but I always thought they were compared)...Deffinitely go for a corrado if you can, they are great looking, pretty quick, and they handle great. They also have a pretty wide aftermarket...Very cool cars. I love the corrados..

All available for $4000 (in some cases only with high milage)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Starting bid $2900 BUy Now $3995. :ph34r:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-CI...ZWDVW#mainImage

Or you could get BOTH of these:

Posted Image

$2500 "buy now" Satrting bid $100 (it's even in PA)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Fairmo...sspagenameZWDVW

---- AND ----

Posted Image

$1200 current bid, reserve met. (Brushguard no extra cost) :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...bayphotohosting

Okay, seriously here's a real suggestion: (I'd buy it if I had $4K)

Posted Image

$2500 on eBay right now... "low reserve" not met yet...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-He...sspagenameZWDVW

But this may be more your style: (98 GTP coupe)

Posted Image

This guy's asking $4400 Buy NOw and the current bid is $2325 reserve not met... you've got 13 minutes before the auction ends. :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-Gra...sspagenameZWDVW

This thread can't die yet! :P The following cars have a special connection to me. Somehow there is something I like about each. Some rekindled by being mentioned in here. So... Between these possible choices... which is the best for what I'm looking for - Reliable, fast, stylish, and economical? :D

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And no... I haven't forgotten about Pontiac. B)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Obviously, not all of them have 4cyls, but they all have manuals (I guess)!

Edited by blackviper8891