Goodbye old friend!!

Last2009GMCEnvoyBuilt12-23-2008.jpg

In this picture provided by GM worker Kim Clay, an unidentified employee watches as the last sport utility vehicle, a GMC Envoy, rolls down the assembly line the GM Moraine Assembly plant in Dayton, Ohio on Tuesday, Dec. 23, 2008, during the final shift at the plant. The last SUV rolled off the line at 3:48 pm, ending a production run that began in 1982 and leaving over 1,000 employees at this production line without a job.

(AP Photo/Kim Clay)

Well at least it was a GMC Envoy that was the last built model. However, I don't personally like the fact that GM had to choose the 23rd to end production of these trucks (my birthday). What hurt them was the lack of dollars spent on updates - while the '06 refresh brought some minor upgrades, it wasn't enough. If they received a new interior in '06, with the new radios (blacktie) I would have looked at getting another one. But since these trucks have been on the market since spring of 2001, they basically soldiered on for 8 years without changes (wheels, colors, minor exterior trim updates are about it).

I know many of the posters on here did not like the Envoy, but I did and enjoyed driving the '05 SLT that we leased for 34 months. So long old friend... :closedeyes:

sad day.... never been in one, but i guess the engine will just die? it should have replaced the 4.3 /4.9 engines in the trucks, and if it got DI the 5.3 too.

does seem like bad management of it had occurred. it should have been updated next on the list after the trucks.... but they had other plans.

This is SO sad for me. I always LOVED the GMT-360s.

I was a Chevrolet salesman when they were launched

& I was so very excited at the prospect of the Atlas

motors making it into more cars & trucks.... the 360s

were light years ahead of the S-10 & most of their

competition, they were poised for success.

It's the curse of poor management at the Big 3. They have good product and then let it rot on the market. PT Cruiser, Focus, Ranger, GMT-360s to name a few.

Yes.... so true.

The pt was THE biggest phenom of the Automotive

world a decade ago.... it was the 64.5 Mustang of

our generation, way to go Mopar & Daimler for doing

NOTHING except letting it grow old and giving it a

very half-a$$ed "refresh" that made it UGGG-LEE.

Never been a fan of the 360, it was either too big or too small to be useful IMO.

I actually thought the exact opposite. I don't

need a FULL size truck or SuV but the S-10

was just too narrow and short and small

I actually thought the exact opposite. I don't

need a FULL size truck or SuV but the S-10

was just too narrow and short and small

The 360s were a decent size, a bit bigger than I'd want and too truckish... the Grand Cherokee is still the best package for me.

Its too bad they didn't do enough with TrailBlazer/Envoy-they weren't bad, especially Envoy, but coulda been better. RIP GMT360's....

Only this time the Lambda's are receiving accolades, and praise; something that the GMT-360's only could have wished for.

Go read some magazines from Y2K, the Trailblazer

and envoy got PLENTY of accolades, in fact I sold

many a Trailblazer & Trailblazer EXT when I was a

Chevy salesman & later Envoys when I sold GMCs.

You'd be surprised how many of my customers

came in to buy a Tahoe or 'Burb and left in a EXT

Trailblazer or sometimes even the short wheelbase

TB/Envoy.

I, or one LOVE the GMT-360s. As a young optimistic

(and a bit naive) GM salesman they represented the

future for me. A good BRIGHT future that included

BOF trucks, modern spiritual successors to the

venerable Chevy 250 I-6, in the form of the Atlas I-6

and RWD based architecture, heck even the

GMT-360s styling was VERY appealing in the early

2000s, way to go GM for dropping the ball on a mid-

cycle refresh. <_<

I've made the remark to our District Manager that if the Traverse had come out in '01, instead of the TB, Toyota would be filing for Chapter 11, not the other way around.

It's not that the TB was a BAD vehicle, it's just that it never sweat the details. In '01 it was middle of the road, but then was quickly surpassed by other products. The Traverse sweat the details, but in this market it is going to get largely ignored, I am afraid.

I've made the remark to our District Manager that if the Traverse had come out in '01, instead of the TB, Toyota would be filing for Chapter 11, not the other way around.

It's not that the TB was a BAD vehicle, it's just that it never sweat the details. In '01 it was middle of the road, but then was quickly surpassed by other products. The Traverse sweat the details, but in this market it is going to get largely ignored, I am afraid.

+1

The Rendezvous and Aztek were GM's midsized crossovers then. Chevy should have gotten one to compete against high-volume vehicles like Highlander.

The Rendezvous and Aztek were GM's midsized crossovers then. Chevy should have gotten one to compete against high-volume vehicles like Highlander.

Sounds like the Dierks Bentley song,

Highlandy was a Ute from South Alabamer,

Her Toyodur had a heart of a nine pound hammer,

Think he did a little time in the slammer,

What was GM thinking?

As is always the case GM perceived the market incorrectly with timing.

Edited by smallchevy

I loved the GMT-360 TrailBlazer when it came out. I took one on a nice long drive to the Lake Tahoe area. The interior was crap, though. I even thought about getting one instead of the Silverado four years ago.

The Envoy XUV is already forgotten. It was great in concept, poor in execution. I wish they made it more like the Avalanche.

I'll almost certainly own a 4.2-I6 powered 360 someday.... esp. a loaded up T-Lazer.