Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

New Year's Eve

ocnblu

I am totally partied out. This has been a very busy holiday season and I definitely went way over board. I'm tired of eating, drinking and talking to people. I need to be alone for a while. So, I'm going to stay home on New Year's eve, ponder life and go to bed early. I want to start the new year with a clear head and, hopefully, some inkling of where my life is headed.

WE gotz a sitter for both the girls.... so looks like we're going OUT!!! :jump:

Now I just need to talk Julie into the Olive Garden instead of whatever

NON-Olive Garden-esque establishment she's got in mind.

Don't have plans as of now ... kinda doubt I will have plans....

*shrugs*

Guess we'll see....

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Welcoming in the new year" ... Vonda Shepard ... 'What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?'

Going out for supper at The Main Event a local steakhouse/supperclub and from there I really dont know. Too bad I am not probably going to be doing anything with friends or better yet a woman. I couldnt get that lucky.

The BF and I will probably be spending the night, shirtless, dancing til dawn at the only gay dance club left in the city.

Or not. I don't much care this year. It's going to take more than a couple dozen drinks to make me forget how bad this past couple months has been.

The BF and I will probably be spending the night, shirtless, dancing til dawn at the only gay dance club left in the city.

Or not. I don't much care this year. It's going to take more than a couple dozen drinks to make me forget how bad this past couple months has been.

I'm so sorry sweety. We have a $h! load of gay bars and they are da bomb!! It's the only bars we go to. The big club downtown has a line around the corner every weekend and we're in $h!ville Oklahoma LOL. I would've expected more from Toronto. My boys want to move to Canada so their marriage is legal and they don't get treated like second class citizens. Should they? Any advice? I don't want them to leave. :( They want me to move with them. LOL

I'm so sorry sweety. We have a $h! load of gay bars and they are da bomb!! It's the only bars we go to. The big club downtown has a line around the corner every weekend and we're in $h!ville Oklahoma LOL. I would've expected more from Toronto. My boys want to move to Canada so their marriage is legal and they don't get treated like second class citizens. Should they? Any advice? I don't want them to leave. :( They want me to move with them. LOL

Step aside, girl - I'm packin' my bags and I'll be there in the mornin'! :lol:

Perhaps it is because I am so o-v-e-r the scene here: it's been 30 years of parties and bars for this one ( I was an earlier bloomer ). Toronto's scene was far more dynamic in the '80s when there was a big warehouse supply here, real estate was affordable and taxes/insurance were cheaper. All the old warehouse space we used to party in 25 years ago is now $500k condos! My buds and I used to have heated debates about where to go because there were so many fun clubs back then.

Toronto has really become anal again. They are 'gentrifying' the downtown and - get this, people in the Entertainment District are bitching about the noise and parties! Let's not forget the world class traffic, $7.50 a half hour parking, $4 a gallon gas and the highest insurance rates in North America - well, you get the picture. Frankly, Montreal is more fun.

My peer group has all become 'bears' (we used to call it fat and hairy, but now they have a name for it) and go to leather bars. The twinks all go with their straight friends to the straight clubs. All that is left are a few crowded, noisy bars on Church St. (made famous in the Queer as Folk series). There is only one mega-gay club left in the city and it's half empty on Saturdays!

Not to mention Canadian booze is $7 a glass! :mind-blowing:

Driving up to Portalegre

Where is that? To the North of Lisbon? Between where you are and Setubal?

Be careful when driving home from that...those Portuguese drivers seem even wilder than the Italian ones, if that's possible :lol:(picture me going the speed limit in a rented Peugeot 107 manual or Corsa with the automatic on the "freeways" around Porto, but then I'm American)

Be careful when driving home from that...those Portuguese drivers seem even wilder than the Italian ones, if that's possible :lol:(picture me going the speed limit in a rented Peugeot 107 manual or Corsa with the automatic on the "freeways" around Porto, but then I'm American)

I've never had the pleasure of driving in Portugal, but do remember the insanity of driving the Amalfi Coast in a rented Mercedes C-class diesel w/ manual....rented it from Avis at the Rome airport, drove the Autostrada down to Pompeii, then out to Sorrento, down the coast through Positano and down to Salerno. Narrow twisty road with sheer rock faces on the left, drop offs to the Med on the right. Tunnels, places where the road narrowed to one lane, deranged scooter drivers; a psycho lady in a black AMG E class w/ German plates that rode my arse for miles trying to pass; tour coaches filled with Japanese tourists with cameras (one coach had to back up for several hundred feet at the edge of small town to allow a truck to pass in the opposite direction)...fun times. Stop signs in the towns seemed to be optional.

Driving in N. Italy in a rented diesel Vectra was more mellow, up around Lake Como, Lake Maggiore, Milano...

Got to get back to Europe in '09...missing it.

Edited by moltar

I'm going to eat dinner with my family, put on the stereo and celebrate by reading a good book by myself.

Personally, I enjoy leading a very quiet life.

Chris

I was going to go to a religious retreat that started Christmas Eve and ended mid-day New Year's Day, with church services on New Year's morning. THEN I thought...hmmm....it was a small chunk of change for dinner, the overnight lodging, and breakfast, so, 30 minutes ago, I decided against it. I'll probably go to church on Jan. 1 am, but now have no plans for New Year's Eve and plan NOT to be driving around with all the nutjobs around.

Edited by trinacriabob

It's to the interior, to the North of Évora but South of Castelo Branco. I'll drive carefully, don't you all worry. :AH-HA_wink:

a psycho lady in a black AMG E class w/ German plates that rode my arse for miles trying to pass

Driving in N. Italy in a rented diesel Vectra was more mellow, up around Lake Como, Lake Maggiore,

About the psycho lady in a Mercedes, two words: Irma - Bunt

About Northern Italy, be sure to drive the SS 48 (Strada delle Dolomiti) between (roughly) Bolzano and Cortina d'Ampezzo in the Dolomites south of Austria. Three words: Oh - my - God.

About the psycho lady in a Mercedes, two words: Irma - Bunt

About Northern Italy, be sure to drive the SS 48 (Strada delle Dolomiti) between (roughly) Bolzano and Cortina d'Ampezzo in the Dolomites south of Austria. Three words: Oh - my - God.

Cool...I'll make a note of that. Stelvio pass from Switzerland into Italy is also on my to-do list...after seeing it on Top Gear, it looks epic...and Motor Trend ran some pics of the Challenger SRT8 on that road in their Europe road trip.

Every year, it's the same. I swear to myself I will go out and enjoy myself... then I come up with a lame excuse for why I can't, and I end up staying home. It is windy as a cat's behind out there tonight, too darn cold to be out and about. If the wind lays, what will I do then? Come up with yet another excuse.

I am a saboteur.

>>"rented Mercedes"<< = Europe's fleet queen.

-- -- -- -- --

>>"psycho lady in a Mercedes"<<

I literally just finished taking to the cop that my wife called, upon hearing a crunch and looking out the driveway-side to see a honduh wedged at a 90-degree angle to the drive right under the kitchen window, 100' from the road. I go running out there, seething at the stupidity, and low&behold: 2 young, indian chicks, apologizing up & down, scared, "lost" after missing their road, turning into a darkened driveway, driving 100' up next to the house and then trying to U-turn. I know in the soles of my Wolverines that if they had hit my house, they would've just taken off. The tires tracks in the light snow stopped about 3' from the house. I hate to generalize, but after such a wealth of observation over time, I find it hard not to: how on earth do they get licenses ???

I calmed down after a few minutes of ranting enough to see they were just hopelessly unskilled & painfully insipid, saw that they weren't drinking (I had to finish the U-turn in their clunker accord- no alcohol smell), and let them go. Cop was super cool about it, no problems with how I handled it. All of the 3 local cops I've had to deal with in person have been great, I must say. No harm done.

-- -- -- -- --

4 of us, card table, nachoes, chips-n-dip, weenies in blankets, iced tea, TV movies/ball drop.

1 hour left till the new year here on the East Coast and I'm spending it alone at home trying to keep warm...although I do have a couple bottles of champagne in the fridge which I will be drinking....Pathetic guy drinking the new year in alone FTW!!! :sign0200:

Well I certainly do wish positive change for everyone who reads this in 2009. Let's pick ourselves up by the bootstraps and tackle 2009 with a good, non-prejudicial outlook. 2008 is over and done! :wavey:

In day 2 of 2009, All of our cars were undriveable. The Intrepid is out until I save the money to replace the timing chains. The Mercury has had a flat for the past few days. Went to use Fix-a-Flat on it and found out the can was frozen. Went to use the Prizm to go get a can from the store and couldn't get it to start. Ignition lock cylinder is somehow not working. Worked fine yesterday, today it wouldn't turn past Accessory. Had to drive the Mercury on a flat to get the tire fixed. Had to have the Prizm towed to hopefully get the ignition fixed. So instead of saving money I'm spending it. Oh, it's going to be a great year. <_<

In day 2 of 2009, All of our cars were undriveable. The Intrepid is out until I save the money to replace the timing chains. The Mercury has had a flat for the past few days. Went to use Fix-a-Flat on it and found out the can was frozen. Went to use the Prizm to go get a can from the store and couldn't get it to start. Ignition lock cylinder is somehow not working. Worked fine yesterday, today it wouldn't turn past Accessory. Had to drive the Mercury on a flat to get the tire fixed. Had to have the Prizm towed to hopefully get the ignition fixed. So instead of saving money I'm spending it. Oh, it's going to be a great year. <_<

Sorry to hear that, DF. That's the joys of owning used cars. My stepfather used to spend all his weekends under the hoods of the old beaters we owned when I was a kid.

We had a '64 Fairlane held together with duct tape - literally. He bought a '63 Pontiac convertible that he drove twice! Our '67 Newport was no stranger to Tremclad.

Sorry to hear that, DF. That's the joys of owning used cars. My stepfather used to spend all his weekends under the hoods of the old beaters we owned when I was a kid.

We had a '64 Fairlane held together with duct tape - literally. He bought a '63 Pontiac convertible that he drove twice! Our '67 Newport was no stranger to Tremclad.

Eh, well used or a new a flat is a flat. The ignition is the problem the Prizm has had since the master/slave cylinders were replaced, and the timing chains are the only major thing the Intrepid has needed since owning it. It's just bad timing. Oh and the Shadow is unregistered so it wasn't much help. If money was less of an issue I would much prefer spending a total of about $875 to fix all 3 than car payments for one new car. :P

Like I said, just really bad timing, and was like insult to injury after I just lost my cell phone. But oh well, &#036;h&#33; happens. Got the tire fixed, the Prizm will be fixed Monday, and the Intrepid will just sit out the road salt for a bit...lucky it. Oh and Virgin Mobile is sending us a free replacement...which is cool..especially since someone found the phone after the replacement was shipped.

On a side note, I knew someone who had some 70's Ford that was also held together with duct tape, couldn't go in reverse, and despite having a a V8, could barely make it up hills.

Eh, well used or a new a flat is a flat. The ignition is the problem the Prizm has had since the master/slave cylinders were replaced, and the timing chains are the only major thing the Intrepid has needed since owning it. It's just bad timing. Oh and the Shadow is unregistered so it wasn't much help. If money was less of an issue I would much prefer spending a total of about $875 to fix all 3 than car payments for one new car. :P

Ya, my sister's '84 Merc 500SEL that I've been driving had $1000 worth of work done yesterday at the local independent Merc shop--fixed the left rear window power window regulator (it got stuck down a few days ago), the windshield washer motor, the accelerator pedal (it had broken loose and had to be stomped on to work), and the front brake caliper seals (seals dry out in AZ), and a heater valve (couldn't get hot air to come out). Equivalent to 2 car payments on a new car, but she loves her old Mercs (and I'm enjoying them also).