Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Intrepidation

SHO Time

27 posts in this topic

2010-ford-taurus-sho_opt.jpg

Jalopnik

With the new 2010 Ford Taurus looking as dapper as ever, the return of its hot-rodded performance variant can only be good news. No one at Ford has yet confirmed the existence of a 2010 Ford Taurus SHO, or a 2011 SHO, but these pictures don't leave much to the imagination. A look at these exclusive photos here on Jalopnik show the SHO badge emblazoning a SYNC-enabled Taurus prototype dash. Compared to the regular Taurus seen in these interior spy shots, the dash appears to have a carbon fiber-esque look to it around the gauge cluster and above the airbag.

Don't expect it to arrive at January's Detroit Auto Show, where the non-SHO model will debut. Instead, the Chicago Auto Show or New York Auto Show seem like a safer bet.

In the meantime, feast your eyes on these first bits of credible proof of a new generation of SHOwy goodness.

Edited by Dodgefan

Keep hoping.

Ain't gonna happen. It will, however, have paddle shifters.

The take rate on a manual, in a full size vehicle, would not even come close to making money.

I think this will make reg a very happy man.

in an truthfulness i really can't get amped about this other to say i am glad they are doing A performance version.

the 010 taurus is a nice upgrade over the current one in style, but really, the interior is not driver oriented, and the exterior is rather safe too. its a big car, and really won't have the same spirit as my 89 manual. it will be bigger and heavier than my 99, which really didn't feel athletic or like a 'driver's car'.

but i do appreciate the fact that they are doing one. I just want a re-do of the original. a cat quick v6 with manual trans.

Not being a Ford man, explain this to me...

Ford SHO - 220hp, 222 ft/lbs torque, manual transmission

Chevy Lumina Z-34 - 210hp, 215 ft/lbs torque, manual transmission

Somehow the SHO is a Ford-gasm, but the Lumina gets a solid "meh"?

Then, in later years:

Ford SHO - V8 235hp, 230 ft/lbs torque, automatic transmission

Pontiac Grand Prix GTP/Buick Regal GS - V6 240hp, 280 ft/lbs torque, automatic transmission

I hope they bring back the SHO. Ford needs something besides the Mustang that is sporty and can be marketed toward gear heads. The original SHO was known for good handling (for a front driver) the new Taurus is rather large, so a Fusion SHO might make more sense, but why not do both.

Then, in later years:

Pontiac Grand Prix GTP/Buick Regal GS - V6 240hp, 280 ft/lbs torque, automatic transmission

as for the 89, timing. the sho arrived first. plus, the suspension was much better than the z34. plus, the sho's interior was way better. plus, the sho's power was underrated a little too.

no one ever said the v8 sho was an ultimate speed demon. i did like my 99 from the same reasons someone maybe liked a bonneville GXP or aurora v8. ohc engine that was more refined, no coarseness, wouldn't run out of breath, comfortable cruiser. the supercharged 3800's were faster by 1/2 - 1 second 0-60, but myself wouldn't want to have spent any time in either of those two vehicles. road and track got the best time with the v8 SHO, 7.4 0-60. the v8 had it power output capped because of the useless 4 speed auto's they mated to it. it was slow to shift and had no torque capacity. the engine was reliably tested for spec in production at over 300hp. back in 96 for 3.4 litres normally aspirated that was pretty good.

for me, even though the SHo was slower at that time than a supercharged grand prix there was no way i would have set foot in that style of pontiac, just like i really wouldn't want a v8 GP GXP either. the stigma and all of that and the cheapness.

Edited by regfootball

reviving a performance brand at Ford sounds like a good and practical idea, and kudos to them for making this so quickly, both with Fusion and Taurus. I also have a lot of hope in this new Taurus. Unfortunately, I just see Ford as largely irrelevant to the buying public at large simply because their lacking in design. I don't think the reworked Fusion is in any way vividly exciting; it doesn't have detail or fresh idea to go forward in the market place. it's a rehash, and I'm not talking about it merely being a refresh, but moreover the body lines and shape are plain boring and outdated contextually.

The fusion bores me to death, where the new mondeo I think it killer and just the kind of fresh exciting thinking in terms of silouhette, stance, profile, swoopy details to attract attention, along with that it's got really attractive and different fascias up front and behind. in contrast the fusion is a bore, and even with the redesign, in some cases downright ugly.

in the context of how competitive the marketplace is and the fresh ideas competing car company's designs are coming at us with, Ford is a repetitive failure. though I generally like what they did with the mustang, they should have gone all out and made the guigaro mustang as is with its super sexy body and unmistakeable mustang cues.

that's where i'm going with this, Ford has to go back to Design 101 and understand a killer body goes along with good fascial features. those are the kind of traits that initally make a car like the Insignia interesting. though it's just corporate and general in terms of fascia, the body and profile make up for generalized bland-ified fascias. I've never been a true believer of the Fusion, and this shows up in sales figures; it's got solid fundamentals, but it's left back by terribly uninteresting and quickly aging features.

From what we've seen of the Taurus, it looks like it could reverse this trend. The Lincoln MKS is interesting and shows potential....with that big luxury mystique of the body and the impressive substantial feel along with quality touches and aggressive and good looking fascias. but on the whole, I just don't think Ford has very good design sense. The Euro Fords otoh,....I'll have to wait and see on the Fiesta, it looks impressive enough in pictures, but I need to see it in person to get a true sense of the car.

ford does need a style injection, no doubt. but refining their current products and benchmarking quality levels and trying to make money were more important to them in a cash strapped time.

if you think about it though, ford hasn't really ever been style kings. in my life, maybe only in the 80's, with the euro t bird and the original taurus.

very few styling hits since then.

looking at these pics again, i do think i tend to like it more than first meets the eye.

so maybe there is a third SHO in my future. :)

I agree that they've made needed changes in qaulity, but they need to now focus on igniting sales with enduring, appealing, and distinctive/fresh design. we're entering an age where all automakers have very distinct styles going on in a lot of segments, Ford [of America] should not be left behind in that race.

I'm one of the few that prefers the look of the North American Fords (minus the NA Focus) over the Euro ones like the Mondeo. I do think the Taurus does a pretty good job incorporating the three-bar grille in a more subtle way. Euro is fine for the small models like Fiesta and Focus, but the big sedans need the American swagger of the Interceptor concept, IMO.

Keep hoping.

Ain't gonna happen. It will, however, have paddle shifters.

The take rate on a manual, in a full size vehicle, would not even come close to making money.

Think a littleoutside the box and make it the extra cost option, then. Or at least offer a robotized manual instead of a conventional automatic.

Ooh! Ford's newest interiors are looking quite snazzy in the cars!

I can't wait to check out the new Taurus at NAIAS. If I like it, I'll have a tough decision on my hands whether or not to keep the Aura until the SHO comes out. I really don't want to be stuck with two Saturns if/when GM finally decides to kill Saturn.

The Fusion Sport is already pretty decent... available AWD, six-speed automatic with manual control, body kit with dual exhaust, and better suspension.

2010fusionsportfd_01_opt.jpg

2010fusionsportfd_03_opt.jpg

2010fusionsportfd_02_opt.jpg

At first I thought the idea of a Taurus SHO would be lame - in these times, who's going to buy an 18-mpg full-size Ford? - but actually, it makes some sense. As people are moving away from pricey BMWs and Audis, they're still going to want high performance, only something cheaper and less conspicuous.

I like the Fusion sport as well. If I went with a Fusion, I'd be tempted to wait for the Ecoboost 4 banger, though. It isn't slated to hit the market until 2011 at the earliest. Too long to keep the Saturn Aura.

If I go with a new GM product, it will likely be one of the following:

- Cobalt SS sedan

- Pontiac G8 GT

- '10 Equinox

- '10 LaCrosse/Invicta

If it were a Ford, it would pretty much be between:

- '10 Fusion

- '10 Taurus

I really have a strong affinity for the Cadillac CTS and would love a CTS wagon. I'm a strange person and I have a strong attraction to sport wagons. The Europeans are really the only ones still making a sport wagon (excluding hot rod versions of CUV's) but I'm going to stick with buying a GM or Ford product with a slim change of something from Chrysler if they still exist.

The Fusion Sport is already pretty decent... available AWD, six-speed automatic with manual control, body kit with dual exhaust, and better suspension.

2010fusionsportfd_01_opt.jpg

2010fusionsportfd_03_opt.jpg

2010fusionsportfd_02_opt.jpg

my guess is the SHO exists to amortize the ecoboost development.

Then, in later years:

If you have driven both engines, you would have seen a dramatic difference between the yamaha-developed SHO engine and the corporate GM 3.4L DOHC motor.......

The Ford has a much zestier taste for the redline......revs much faster, and has a more aggressive pull to redline. The 3.4L DOHC motor was somewhat "strangled" by GM's insistence on trying to provide a low-rpm powerband in a DOHC motor to try to mimic the pushrod V6s of the day.

I've driven both engines.....(although not the GM 3.4L with a manual) and the SHO was just way more exciting of a powertrain. There's alot more to a powertrain than simply HP and torque numbers....

(I'll agree the V8 SHO was a dud, however......)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0