Does this year seem longer to any of you?

It does to me.....

The International Earth Rotation and Reference Systems Service has announced that a leap second will be added on December 31, 2008 at 23h 59m 60s, meaning that this year will be exactly one second longer.

After a screwed up election, an economic collapse, a housing market collapse, the collapse of the domestic auto industry, and assorted other human stupidity...it feels about eleventy billion years long.

I'll almost be glad to watch Ohio State get its ass handed to it by Texas...because it will be 2009 and 2008 will be over.

Chris

After a screwed up election, an economic collapse, a housing market collapse, the collapse of the domestic auto industry, and assorted other human stupidity...it feels about eleventy billion years long.

And a divorce.....its taken forever. I need Jan. 1st really bad!!!! I've got a new man and am ready for a fresh start. :)

this year has been hell to the nth degree. i know so many friends going through $h! that i can't even hold a candle to its so intense. i've had some (can't even find the words to describe) moments as well. Lots of negativity from just about every corner. work, personal relationships, my hobbies and interestes, financially. 3 times needing body work on cars.

just enough good stuff to get me by, barely.

2008 cannot go away soon enough. my patience, resolve, and ability to remain a peacekeeper, or even civil has been tested. Hard feelings, grudges, all of that.

Edited by regfootball

Hmm, well...on the plus side...

• I graduated with my BFA.
  • I landed a temp gig right after college helping small company that converts analog media into digital format finish their website. Which paid pretty well and adds to my resume
  • I finally got to quit pizza delivery. (shortly after I got the job mentioned above).
  • Despite the economic mess I still have a job working for a company in Lowell that was originally my internship. It's a side gig and doesn't pay loads, but it's enough to get by
  • I finally was able to get my girlfriend of almost 4 years a ring, and on that note we'll be celebrating today.
  • I got a nice digital camera
  • i was able to fix my hard drive
  • We got a RWD, BOF, V8 powered car.

On a bad note:

• My car was hit by an idiot woman in a Mazda Protege.
  • The Prizm was rear ended by an old fart in a beat up Town Car while delivering (that's what pushed me over the edge).
  • Both cars were hit and damaged further by some jackasses in a stolen Integra, hope he got hit by a car or shot.
  • The Town and Country was totaled by a retarded who ran a red light.
  • We were supposed to move in July, and as a result I put off getting another job. That's worked out well.
  • All but 2 of our fish died, some we had for nearly 3 years.
  • I need $800 to replace my car's timing chains, until then I can't drive it.
  • One of our cats became ill
  • My grandmother has lung cancer
  • Several of my girlfriend's relatives have passed away, and pets in her family.
Edited by Dodgefan

As to the adding the leap second, it's 'Global Slowing'...OHNOZ!!! OMG! NOOOOO! Call Al Gore!! :)

All said, it's been a strange year for me...

* Moved to Arizona, which I really don't like

* Despite the economy, worked 3 gigs this year--2 have been pretty dull, one was kind of interesting but didn't last..

* Only worked 9 out of 12 months, but still made more $$$ than I did last year when I worked 12 months.

* Had a few car issues, still have the Jeep and gained 2 old Mercs, sort of.

* Got a new puppy. 3lbs of terrier love.

* Got two new computers.

* Went to my 20th hs reunion in S. Florida, which was a lot of fun.

Looking forward to 2009 and new adventures.

* Moved to Arizona, which I really don't like

* Went to my 20th hs reunion in S. Florida, which was a lot of fun.

Looking forward to 2009 and new adventures.

Well, I like the way AZ "looks" but the weather in the summer would knock me out. On the flip side, I think Denver's land-locked and too far from anywhere setting would drive me nuts. Midwesterners adjust to it since it's adjacent, but I don't know if a person raised on the coasts could.

You went to HS in Marathon, on the Keys, right? I've often wondered if I'd like living in FL, seeing that I vacation there so much and like living in shorts/t-shirt most of the year. The cool, overcast weather we're having right now bothers me, except when I want to have coffee or tea somewhere.

For me, I hope 2009 is better than 2008. The only bright spot in 2008 was the LaCrosse at the very beginning of the year.

Well, I like the way AZ "looks" but the weather in the summer would knock me out. On the flip side, I think Denver's land-locked and too far from anywhere setting would drive me nuts. Midwesterners adjust to it since it's adjacent, but I don't know if a person raised on the coasts could.

You went to HS in Marathon, on the Keys, right? I've often wondered if I'd like living in FL, seeing that I vacation there so much and like living in shorts/t-shirt most of the year. The cool, overcast weather we're having right now bothers me, except when I want to have coffee or tea somewhere.

For me, I hope 2009 is better than 2008. The only bright spot in 2008 was the LaCrosse at the very beginning of the year.

The summer in AZ is horrific, definitely. Winter is nice. I don't really care for the people around here...too many old folks, too much of a red state, not enough techies compared to Denver. Can't get too interested in the desert appearance either, too much dust and tan. Too smoggy and hazy in the summer, not enough clear, blue sky days (though plenty in winter).

For Colorado, I love the weather, the mountains, and of course all my techie friends are there. Though sunny, it can be a bit brown and dry, though there is plenty of green up in the mountains. I'm renting out my condo in Denver currently, enough to cover the mortgage, so that's good.

I do like S. Florida, though the humidity in the summers and the hurricanes would get to me. The ocean is great, though the beaches in the Keys aren't that great. I really like the coast from Miami up through West Palm Beach, though. I don't think I could live in Florida full time, though, no mountains and no twisty roads. My ideal is a big, diverse city with lots of tech jobs, close to mountains, forests, and the ocean or lakes.

Edited by moltar

My ideal is a big, diverse city with lots of tech jobs, close to mountains, forests, and the ocean or lakes.

And the city you just described is metro Seattle, though the overcast weather is a BIG problem and the people, for the most part, are even BIGGER a-holes.

Except in Seattle they have no idea how to keep the roads clean when it snows. :nono:

I have good tires on my Jeep... I'm sure I could get around there when it snows. When there's an ice storm, though, I'd hide under my bed and not go out.. :) (I still have nightmares from driving in an ice storm in Portland 3 years ago).

do tell.........

He's been a friend of mine for about 3 years. We've been hanging out as friends since Mike left, or rather he's been babysitting my drunkass and holding my hair back while I yack and buying my drinks and taking me to dinner and listening and just generally being an angel and a perfect gentleman for 6 months until my dumb ass woke up and realized what was right in front of me. It cost me some friends, since I was friends with his ex wife but its worth it. He's wonderful!!!

My year:

Broke up with my girlfriend in March, been dating off and on since

Finished school, BA in architecture

Traveled to Chicago, Minneapolis

Got a good job, decent apartment

Started investing in the stock market, sitting about even right now

Bought a new computer and monitor

Had my car broken into, but on the flip side got $900 from insurance and only spent $50 repairing the door lock

Designed my first real building

Survived a round of layoffs

Received my first bonus

All in all, not really a great year but not awful either

Edited by mustang84

Finished school, BA in architecture

Got a good job

Designed my first real building

Survived a round of layoffs

Received my first bonus

All good stuff...what kind of building was your first real building? The first one I did where the whole thing was 90+% my design was about 3 or 4 years after school and it was a 90+ unit assisted living facility, complete with the dining, food preparation and social areas. It's a great feeling. I always liked working in a firm where you get to do it all: design, documentation and construction admin. Congrats.

All good stuff...what kind of building was your first real building? The first one I did where the whole thing was 90+% my design was about 3 or 4 years after school and it was a 90+ unit assisted living facility, complete with the dining, food preparation and social areas. It's a great feeling. I always liked working in a firm where you get to do it all: design, documentation and construction admin. Congrats.

damn. you guys got to design buildings?

Well because we couldn't just go out yesterday and get the snacks and $h! for New Year's, we had to go today, in the snow. To end the year off extra $h!ty I lost my cell phone while we were out. So either it's crushed in the snow in the parking lot or some asshole found it and figures they have a new phone. Happy f@#king New Year.

Heh ... this explains why the countdown Chicago on ABC 7 included an extra "1" in the countdown!

2008 was great for me ...... hope 2009 is even better.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Crank up the music" ... Steven Curtis Chapman ... 'Live Out Loud'