Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Best three rock and roll songs EVER???

#1. While my Guitar gently Weeps, the Beetles

#2. Symphony of Destruction, Megadeth

#3. Won't get fooled again, by The Who.

What would you say the best three are, and how do you fill out the rest of the top ten?

Chris

There is no debate over my no 1 pick.

1. Oasis - 'Wonderwall' (simply the best crafted pop/rock song in history, it will never be topped)

2. Tied: Tragically Hip - 'So Hard Done By' / R.E.M. - 'What's Your Frequency Kenneth' (the whole Monster album for that matter)

3. Tied: David Bowie - 'Rebel, Rebel' / The Who - 'Magic Bus'

Edited by HarleyEarl

Oooh..difficult to come up with a list..there is so much that I really I like. Mostly classic rock, some alternative, some popish..

My top five--no particular order:

Gimmie Shelter--The Rolling Stones

Layla- Derek and the Dominoes

All Along the Watchtower- Jimi Hendrix

Baba O Reilly - The Who

Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd

Other favorites, in no particular order:

Won't Get Fooled Again- The Who

Who Are You- The Who

Eminence Front- The Who

Sympathy for the Devil-The Rolling Stones

Satisfaction- The Rolling Stones

Tumblin' Dice-The Rolling Stones

Wish You Were Here- Pink Floyd

Immigrant Song- Led Zeppelin

In The Evening- Led Zeppelin

Telegraph Road- Dire Straits

Thunder Road- Bruce Springsteen

Born to Run-Bruce Springsteen

Darkness on the Edge of Town- Bruce Springsteen

Crossfire- Stevie Ray Vaughan

Back in Black- AC/DC

Hysteria- Def Leppard

Welcome to the Jungle-Guns N Roses

Wishing Well- Free

Bad Company- Bad Company

Bad- U2

Pride- U2

any U2 Joshua Tree track :)

Live Forever- Oasis

Bittersweet Symphony- The Verve

Jeremy- Pearl Jam

lots more Clapton, Cream, Traffic, and Springsteen in my top 100 also...

Edited by moltar

stairway to heaven

*clears throat and points*

waynesworldnostairwayku0.jpg

Lame. So very very lame. To you and anybody else who has chosen or is considering choosing this, please explain why it should be considered one of the GREATEST ROCK & ROLL SONGS EVER without using any of the cliches people have been digesting and regurgitating for the last thirty years. We've all seen the crappy countdown specials on VH1, so please, skip the textbook answer and offer something original. Same goes for anybody considering Hotel California as well.

Now: how can anybody talk about "greatest" rock & roll songs without mentioning Chuck Berry, without whom rock & roll as we know it may very well have never existed? Every artist/band widely regarded as a God in the rock & roll Pantheon either cites him as an influence directly, or cites those influenced by him as influences, and have been very publicly singing his praises for the last half-century. Listen to songs like "Roll Over Beethoven," "Johnny B. Goode," "No Particular Place to Go," "Down the Road Apiece," "Maybellene," "House of Blue Lights," and many others, and you will hear rock & roll in its purest form. Then listen to the early work of a group like the Beatles or the Rolling Stones and the similarities will astound you. It all stems from him.

Three greatest rock songs? I don't even think I could pick three of the "greatest" artists/acts without some serious time to think.

Edited by XP715

Lame. So very very lame. To you and anybody else who has chosen or is considering choosing this, please explain why it should be considered one of the GREATEST ROCK & ROLL SONGS EVER

because in my mind from 68 to 78 was about the best it ever got. im 26 btw. look at how much that era of rock influenced things. jack-holes like kid (doesnt) rock are even going back and pulling music from there for his songs now (sweet home alabama/werewolves of london). i loathe ihs very being because of such... he is the Rock equivalent of p-diddy. but bands like aerosmith roling stones pink floyd moody blues chicago the who i mean come on the list goes on.

As a BIG fan of classic rock I find the Who annoyingly over-rated and over-played.

My top 5:

1. Beatles, "A day in the life"

2. U2 "Where the streets have no name"

3. Guns & Roses, "Sweet child 'o mine"

4. Metallica, "Master of puppets"

5. Nazareth, "This Flight Tonight"

I love those 5, and that's my "shooting from the hip at 3-am list"

but now in retrospect I guess on paper I'm a Tard 'cause that

list is pretty tame. :unsure:

Oh, almost forgot:

Led Zeppelin, "Immigrant Song"

and how could I forget Pink Floyd...? Shame on me.

Not sure... "Comfortably numb" is too predictable but

my favorite song by them, "One of these days" is too

obscure, so I'll go with "Another Brick in the Wall 1+2"

and how about "More than a Feeling" by Boston?

This is nearly impossible for me, but here goes nothing...

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird

I know it's cliche'd but I ca get on board with that.

How about Billy Idol's "White Wedding"? :lol:

Lame. So very very lame. To you and anybody else who has chosen or is considering choosing this, please explain why it should be considered one of the GREATEST ROCK & ROLL SONGS EVER without using any of the cliches people have been digesting and regurgitating for the last thirty years.

Because Stairway to Heaven follows a classic "slow intro that builds up into a screaming orgasm" progression. Metallica's One and Fade to Black, which are also favorites of mine, are other examples of this progression. It's very sexual, which gives it a fairly universal appeal.

. . . Also, the lyrics make no sense, which has caused far too many drug-addled youths to unhealthily obsess over it. Not to mention the rumors of Satanic messages, which has caused far too many religion-addled old folks to unhealthily obsess over it. Combine all these factors, and you have yourself one culturally iconic song.

Edited by Enzora

Lots of good choices in there, but I can't believe it took 11 posts before someone mentioned any Boston song! There was a time when I didn't consider a radio station to be worthy of the name "rock" unless it played Boston.

Picking from some of the bands mentioned above:

Boston: More than a Feeling; Foreplay/Longtime

Led Zeppelin: Kashmir; Rock and Roll

The Who: Baba O'Riley

Traffic: Glad (while I prefer "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys")

Jimi Hendrix: All Along the Watchtower; Little Wing

Def Leppard: High 'n Dry; Another Hit and Run

Deep Purple: Smoke on the Water; Perfect Strangers; Highway Star

Iron Maiden: Flight of Icarus; Wasted Years; 2 Minutes to Midnight

Krokus: Our Love

Metallica: Whiskey in the Jar; Stone Cold Crazy; Fuel

Nazareth: This Flight Tonight (another vote); Holiday; Shanghai'd in Shanghai

Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here; Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Police: Can't Stand Losing You

Queen: Headlong; Hammer to Fall

Rush: YYZ; Limelight; Red Barchetta; Tom Sawyer

Santana: Oye Como Va

ZZ Top: La Grange

I've got many more (Queensryche, Aldo Nova, even a Prince song or two), but these are the ones you guys are most likely to agree with.

Because Stairway to Heaven follows a classic "slow intro that builds up into a screaming orgasm" progression. Metallica's One and Fade to Black, which are also favorites of mine, are other examples of this progression. It's very sexual, which gives it a fairly universal appeal.

. . . Also, the lyrics make no sense, which has caused far too many drug-addled youths to unhealthily obsess over it. Not to mention the rumors of Satanic messages, which has caused far too many religion-addled old folks to unhealthily obsess over it. Combine all these factors, and you have yourself one culturally iconic song.

Excellent answer. That makes sense to me and you didn't recycle what others have said about it.

Do I still get props for my Wayne's World reference in my original post :lol:

Picking from some of the bands mentioned above:

Queen: Headlong; Hammer to Fall

Rush: YYZ; Limelight; Red Barchetta; Tom Sawyer

I've got many more (Queensryche, Aldo Nova, even a Prince song or two), but these are the ones you guys are most likely to agree with.

D'oh...I forgot Queen and Rush competely on my list....'Hammer to Fall' is probably my favorite Queen song, along with 'I Want it All'.. and Rush, there is lots there that I like...love 'Limelight', 'Time Stand Still', 'Red Barchetta', 'Distant Early Warning', etc.

Excellent answer. That makes sense to me and you didn't recycle what others have said about it.

Do I still get props for my Wayne's World reference in my original post :lol:

Most definitely. And you're right about Chuck Berry. A truly great and influential musician.

As for Hotel California, well, I got nothin'.

>>"Because Stairway to Heaven follows a classic "slow intro that builds up into a screaming orgasm" progression. "<<

See, I don't get that from 'STH'- it's so slow & relaxed it barely is able to 'get off', esp if you are going to name One in the same vein. Or maybe it's just the flute in STH.... :P

It's a great song, but I permanently burned out on it many years ago.

Forced to name 5 :

One - MetallicA

Problem Child - AC/DC

Cretin Hop - Ramones

Grip - Rollins

The Disintegrators - Megadeth

An entirely unanswerable question.

There are literally thousands of songs that are essential to me.

Three examples that have been crucial to my sanity (in no particular order and not to the exclusion of others).

The Moody Blues: New Horizons

Temple of the Dog: Hunger Strike

Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here

I was tempted to put a Queensryche song in. Eyes of a Stranger, Roads to Madness, The Lady Wore Black, Hand on Heart, and Walk in the Shadows...all excellent stuff.

What is Schmenge anyways?

From Urban Dictionary:

Schmenge

A Belgian or more likely Dutch cycling fan who, after three solid days of drinking at the top of a mountain pass, has devolved from a Schlug. Schmenges are differentiated from Schlugs in that they are abusive to cyclists.

Popularized by Bob Roll during Tour de France coverage

"The schlugs having transmogrified into schmenge"

So there you go. Shmenges are former Shlugs.

From Urban Dictionary:

Popularized by Bob Roll during Tour de France coverage

"The schlugs having transmogrified into schmenge"

So there you go. Shmenges are former Shlugs.

I remember that....Bob Roll is hilarious...I read his book a few years ago, there are some hilarious passages in the book, about his crashes, having to stop and make mad doo while on a ride, etc.

Camino nailed it, this is tougher than trying to pick just ONE favorite Cadillac car.

S'more classic "rock":

- The Ramones, "Blitzkrieg Pop"

- The Traveling Willburries, "It's Alright"

- Johny Cash, "Folsom Prison Blues"

Get a room you two :neenerneener:

Anyway, it is hard to come up with a list of 3, but as I grow old my love and appreciation for classic rock grows more and more so I'll go with that. That being said here is a "I just woke up, brain still in la la land list"

In no particular order:

Pink Floyd- Comfortably Numb ( I know it's a cliched song, but the end solo still gets me every time)

Aerosmith- Dream On

Jimi Hendrix- Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

Get a room you two :neenerneener:

Anyway, it is hard to come up with a list of 3, but as I grow old my love and appreciation for classic rock grows more and more so I'll go with that. That being said here is a "I just woke up, brain still in la la land list"

In no particular order:

Pink Floyd- Comfortably Numb ( I know it's a cliched song, but the end solo still gets me every time)

Comfortably Numb is probably my favorite PF song...and I've seen it twice in concert, on their last tour in the mid '90s and a couple years ago on Gilmour's solo tour. Gilmie is incredible live...

im 26 btw.

Holy cow ... I thought you were older than me for some reason! He he

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I play my music in the sun" ... Steve Miller Band ... 'The Joker'