Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Overrated rock n' roll songs

mustang84

Inspired by the top 3 rock n' roll songs thread, list 5 to 10 (or whatever you feel like) rock songs that get on your nerves. They may not necessarily be bad songs, just overplayed and overhyped.

BTO - Takin' Care of Business

Aerosmith - Dude Looks Like a Lady (I like Aerosmith...but I hate this song)

Steppenwolf - Born to Be Wild

AC/DC - Back in Black

Black Sabbath - Iron Man

Ozzy - Crazy Train

Metallica - Enter Sandman

Jane's Addiction - Jane Says

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again

The only two I can't stand are Takin' Care of Business and Dude Looks Like a Lady, but I get really tired of hearing all of them on the radio.

Journey's Don't stop Believin'. Decent song, but karaoke bars have turned it into a monster.

Most of the Beatles' work before they discovered hallucinogens.

Anything by the Doors. Jim Morrison's voice is nails on a chalkboard to me.

And of course, Stairway to Heaven.

Edited by Enzora

It almost seems like we need a revival of intersting rock and roll music. I enjoy rock and roll, as my 15 year old son seems to be right out of 1985 in terms of his music tastes and I enjoy doing things with him.

However, any more I find myself listening to other forms of Music, from classical to dixieland jazz.

So I guess I would say that I find it all kind of overplayed and over rated. I guess that's why I kind of like some modern cars as well...kinda feel the same way. A 69 Mach 1 or a 65 GTO or a 70 Charger R/T all take my breath away...but I've been looking at the same cars for almost 40 years now.

Of the more modern stuff, for some reason I kind of liked Green Day when they came out, but I'm burned out a little bit on them as well.

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

My top 3 overrated rock songs:

1. Queen - Anything they've ever done, if I hear another Queen anthem, I'll gag

2. Led Zeppelin - 'Stairway to Heaven', it's become almost cliche as the best rock song ever...it's a great one, but I like 'Whole Lotta Love' better

3. The Doors - Anything they've ever done. Frankly the most overrated rock group ever.

It almost seems like we need a revival of intersting rock and roll music. I enjoy rock and roll, as my 15 year old son seems to be right out of 1985 in terms of his music tastes and I enjoy doing things with him.

However, any more I find myself listening to other forms of Music, from classical to dixieland jazz.

So I guess I would say that I find it all kind of overplayed and over rated. I guess that's why I kind of like some modern cars as well...kinda feel the same way. A 69 Mach 1 or a 65 GTO or a 70 Charger R/T all take my breath away...but I've been looking at the same cars for almost 40 years now.

Of the more modern stuff, for some reason I kind of liked Green Day when they came out, but I'm burned out a little bit on them as well.

Chris

I think most mainstream music has come to a grinding halt as far as originality goes. It doesn't matter the genre, there's no new ground left to be broken. The 50s to 70s saw the formation of rock music with the electrification of the guitar, the 80s saw the solidification of rock/metal and the rise of electronic and hip hop with the synthesizer, and the 90s led to the deconstruction of rock into simpler elements (grunge / alternative) and the mainstream rise of hip hop. But as far as this decade goes, it has been a rehash of old ideas. The synthesizer and digital sound brought all kinds of new possibilities to music and helped spawn numerous genres, but we've exhausted all that in the last 20 years. Technical guitar playing reached its pinnacle two decades ago. All the new music I hear on the radio is just a play off past styles, whether it be folk, punk, or new wave.

I think it's because music sources has become so fragmented. There's so much great music being created as we speak, it's just not heard by the masses. The whole Top 40 radio hit parade thing is dead. Superstar rock musicians are history, never to be repeated. You'll never see a a particular style of music rise to the top again. It will be a full array of musical styles within the rock idiom. So, good rock music is still there, it's just that one has to seek it out more.

I don't get why nirvana's "smells like teen spirit" is loved so much.. yeah it's the "song that defined a generation" but please...it's not truely a great song... i find a few of their other songs ok.

HE..queen.. awwww yes it's been ingrained in sports now but they have plenty of not quite "rock" songs that really are good and aren't like anything else that came out of "pop rock" in that era.

one that can't be on this list is primus. lol

I don't get why people like nirvana so much, to me that is the most overrated band.

I think Nirvana has it's place in R&R history....

Pearl Jam however is the Who of alternative.

Overplayed & over rated IMO.

Also Peter Frampton.... STFU dude, Uriah Heep

you NEVER EVER hear on the radio nd yet their

taking guitar was WAY cooler.

(plus Uriah Heep's songs are like 2 minutes long, not 17 minutes like Frampton's)

I don't get why people like nirvana so much, to me that is the most overrated band.

yeah. plus the fact that kurt was a wastoid, and had terrible choice in women. i get that courteney was a ho, but aside from that, a genuine embarassment. and nirvana only really had one solid album. even the doors were mildly consistent with a wastoid at the helm.

I agree on the Nirvana sentiment here, decent band that emerged at the right place at the right time IMO. I'd take Alice in Chains and Stone Temple Pilots any day of the week over a Nirvana song.

I also lean more towards Pearl Jam being slightly overrated, while I like Jeremy, Black, and Evenflow, on a whole I find their work to be rather dull.

Linkin Park, loved Hybrid Theory ( their first album) however they jumped the shark with that remix album of Hybrid Theory like 2 years after it's original release rather than a true follow up album. By the time Meteora was released I was like who cares, and it wasn't anywhere near being as good as their debut album. And now this most recent album which I don't even know the name too hasn't impressed me one bit.

Nickleback....'nuff said.

BTW I went with bands as a whole rather than just a particular song because all of these bands I've listed have gotten major radio airplay to begin with so it's hard to narrow it down to just one song.

• 1 year later...
I also lean more towards Pearl Jam being slightly overrated, while I like Jeremy, Black, and Evenflow, on a whole I find their work to be rather dull.

I really like Pearl Jam's first and second albums. Vs. is better than Ten, IMO...a bit more raw and dark. Vitalogy is ok, and everything after that is very hit or miss.

As for Nirvana, they are midpack as far as grunge goes. They always get labeled as pioneers, yet the true pioneers of the genre were bands like Green River and Screaming Trees that were putting stuff out years earlier. Later bands like Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam were simply better musicians.

• 11 months later...

Nickelback still sucks.

Then of course there's the prepubescent girl who goes by the name Justin Bieber.

I can't wait for the televised Quinceañera.

Maybe he will do an image makeover when he turns 18..shave his head or get a mowhawk, tats, wierd random piercings, and rebrand himself as a punk rocker or death metal 'artist'...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I can't really get tired of anything by Zeppelin, the Who, the Doors, or Metallica, Nirvana or Pearl Jam--because I love all those bands--but I do agree that they're overplayed, but not overrated. I could however, never bring myself to like Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, or really any of those 70's and 80's glam rock bands. Now my younger brother has actually started listening to all that stuff, and I cannot stand being in his car when I visit my parents because all that comes out of his stereo is Styx, Queen, Def Leppard and Kiss.

gah. Kill me.

Edited by Turbojett

Inspired by the top 3 rock n' roll songs thread, list 5 to 10 (or whatever you feel like) rock songs that get on your nerves. They may not necessarily be bad songs, just overplayed and overhyped.

BTO - Takin' Care of Business

Aerosmith - Dude Looks Like a Lady (I like Aerosmith...but I hate this song)

Steppenwolf - Born to Be Wild

AC/DC - Back in Black

Black Sabbath - Iron Man

Ozzy - Crazy Train

Metallica - Enter Sandman

Jane's Addiction - Jane Says

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again

The only two I can't stand are Takin' Care of Business and Dude Looks Like a Lady, but I get really tired of hearing all of them on the radio.

I like Won't get fooled again and Bohemian rhapsody...the others are....meh in my book.

Most of what came out after 1990 or so is kind of over rated, IMHO...or maybe I am just getting old. My son and I listen to everything from the Rolling Stones to bucket Head together...and he introduced me to Type O negative, who I just love...but mosmodern rock...meh....

<br />I can't really get tired of anything by Zeppelin, the Who, the Doors, or Metallica, Nirvana or Pearl Jam--because I love all those bands--but I do agree that they're overplayed, but not overrated. I could however, never bring myself to like Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, or really any of those 70's and 80's glam rock bands. Now my younger brother has actually started listening to all that stuff, and I cannot stand being in his car when I visit my parents because all that comes out of his stereo is Styx, Queen, Def Leppard and Kiss.<br />gah. Kill me.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I like Styx and Queen, actually...listening to them brings back great memories of old girlfriends and riding around in my 70 chevelle...which shows how old I really am!

<br />
<br />I wonder when Bieber will do an album w/ Nickelback or Celine Dion.<br />
<br /><br />The Horror... The Horror...<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The horror indeed!

<br />How 'Free Bird' hasn't made it in here yet is beyond me. And for some reason, it seems like that Thompson Twins song has been on the radio way too much recently.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Free Bird would be one of those songs that I would have to be stoned to enjoy...since I don't get stoned....