Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Delta Force79

1958 Plymouth

6 posts in this topic

I've been a "resident" in the online Metaverse 'Second Life' for a little over a year now, and the great thing about "SL" is that the entire world is created by those who live there, from homes, to clothing and yes even cars, planes, boats, tanks and everything you could imagine. This past summer I decided rather than search hoping to find a car I'd like to own, why not just start building my own? So with that in mind I set out to learn how to build using very basic shapes, called "prims". These shapes are basically cubes, cylinders and things like that. Using the inworld building tools, you can stretch, shrink and shape these prims to form just about anything. So once I worked out how to do the "bodywork" to build a car I began the task of trying to script the car to actually drive. One down side to Second Life is their scripting only allows for an object of 31 prims or less to be linked together and turned into a moving object. My car was 267 prims! There was no other way get it to work than to script the chassis, basically a flat floor and the four wheels, then take the car's body and interior and wear them on myself. Adjusting it to fit the chassis while I sat on it, and thus I created a car from scratch that could drive.

Flash forward now a few months and while I'm still a noob when it comes to building cars I decided to take on the daunting task of creating a replica of one of the most famous cars of all time. Christine. What you see here are unaltered screenshots of my running prototype of Christine, minor detailing and bodywork still needs to be done, as well as fine tuning of the scripting for steering, and speed etc. Hope you enjoy it.

snapshot193gj8.png

w1680.png

snapshot196em6.png

w1680.png

snapshot194lc4.png

w1680.png

this last pic is me posing with Christine just before scripting her so she could drive.

snapshot188rm1.png

w1680.png

Thanks guys :neenerneener:

But actually if you're on SL you could have one, I'm actually going to be selling Christine in-world, alongside my other car's I've built. Some of the features Christine has as of now is a 3 speed transmission, like a real '58 Plymouth's Torqueflite, the ability to hold a passenger for those nights at the drive in when you'd rather watch your partner choke instead of some cheesy B movie, and I'm working on scripting the lights to work on a switch rather than having to literally either have them on or not. Using text commands she can rev, honk her horn and shut off too. Also if any other person attempts to get into Christine, she'll respond " you keep on knockin but you can't come in". Which is famous from the movie, and last but not least, Christine features her real sounds from the film. I ripped the audio of her starting up and reving and uploaded the sounds into SL. I'm working on trying to get a sound clip 10 seconds or less of her accelerating without any other noise like background music or talking.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0