Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
§carlet §wordfish

Laureate

26 posts in this topic

This is something I've been working on for quite a while. It was inspired partly by the 1965 AMC Cavalier concept, which had body panels and doors that were symmetrical (and interchangable) from front to back to cut down on manufactruing costs. I've been working on a few designs based around this idea. This one is for a plug-in hybrid luxury sedan. The added expense of a hybrid drivetrain could be partly offset by the lower cost from having interchangable front and rear quarter panels and doors (at least in theory, I have no idea how much that would actually reduce cost) so the car could stay competitive with non-hybrid cars in its segment. The front and rear ends are not interchangable; the front end is lowered for less drag, and the rear end is shorter for better deck proportion. I know this makes an DISGUSTING, ABSURDLY LONG FRONT OVERHANG, but honestly that never bothered me one bit on any car.

I like the overall shape of the body, so I'm not going to change that much. What is really bugging me are the front and rear fascias. I'd just like to know your thoughts on it before I try modelling it.

laureate.jpg

You couldn't have interchangeable quarter panels because on the front they are bolt-on fenders while in the rear they are part of the structure. So there's no need to make the symmetrical. The problem with the profile is that the car looks too symmetrical. Also you don't have to make the deck slope downward for aerodynamics, as there are other tricks to get lower CD. Just my thoughts.

The interchangeable doors is a cool idea though.

As for the fascias, I agree with YJ that it is reminiscent of Nissan's design language. Thing is that again, they look too similar...I had to look closely to tell back from front.

There's lots of potential, you should keep working on it.

Edited by Dodgefan

You couldn't have interchangeable quarter panels because on the front they are bolt-on fenders while in the rear they are part of the structure. So there's no need to make the symmetrical.

How do you know what is bolt on vs structure on his hypothetical car?

How do you know what is bolt on vs structure on his hypothetical car?

Well I suppose then it could be a bolt on thing, but would that dd more to the cost VS just making it one piece? Hmm.

This isn't based on any current chassis, it would be a totally new one, so I doubt making provisions for interchangable quarter panels would add much more to the development cost. The rear deck isn't sloped for aerodynamics as much as I just like sloping decks.

One of my main styling inspirations were these Seville prototypes, but I thought my first try was too bland:
laureate0.jpg
But you're right, it does look a lot like a Nissan truck grille. Damn corporations stealing my idears. tongue.gif

Edited by §carlet §wordfish

You've got some pretty good thoughts here, Scarlet, and I love your stated inspiration for this project (Cavalier/Seville).

i kinda like the greenhouse on it. ...kinda has old A body rear half to it....

the grill and rear are certainly the worst part IMO. but it kinda has a toronado feel to it...? the fenders might be doing that to me...?

laureate_zps7e8974f6.png

I'm basically just masturbating alone in this forum by now, aren't I. :-/

Aww, come on people, grab your pens and start doodling! Scar's been working his fingers to the bone here, all by his lonesome.

Scarlet would the rear window be able to go up and down like some cars in the 60's / 70's did? That is a cool concept to air out the car.

Would add my doodles if I could doodle. Not a drawer, just ask my kids who tell me all the time I have no drawing talent. I leave it up to my son. Not sure where he got it since he is a graphic designer.

Would love to see your car with an aero rear window design much like the mid 80's Monte Carlo.

You could probably have a Breezeway-style rear window to roll down when you're bombing around town, but you'd want to roll them all up on the highway. This car is about aerodynamics in disguise, a big American barge with a small drag coefficient. I do plan on drawing a fastback version too as you suggest.

laureate_zps7e8974f6.png

I'm basically just masturbating alone in this forum by now, aren't I. :-/

If I had any talent with my hands, I'd be right there with you.

You could probably have a Breezeway-style rear window to roll down when you're bombing around town, but you'd want to roll them all up on the highway. This car is about aerodynamics in disguise, a big American barge with a small drag coefficient. I do plan on drawing a fastback version too as you suggest.

Shooting brake...

Would love to see someone who has chopping skills take the GMC Terrain and put a bucket on it as the new GMC Mini Pickup. :D

So please do not laugh, but I just had to see what it would look like so using windows paint, I came up with this as the new GMC Mini Pickup Truck.

I actually love it. It would be a UniBody Pickup truck with a 1000lb payload capacity.

post-12-0-87943200-1403060195_thumb.jpg

:)

That would be a really handy little truck to keep around. I could've used it last weekend.

post-4034-0-64775600-1403230144_thumb.pn

post-4034-0-17632500-1403230155_thumb.pn

The fastback has ended up as more of a Kamm wagen. Not what I was originally going for, but the glassback wasn't working out.

Also, I've subconsciously ripped off this and this.

Edited by §carlet §wordfish

That wagon look it cool, sadly it just eats up head room and cargo room. I know the fast back or coupe look is popular but I never saw them being very functional. Still I do love your drawing on the car and the potential.

Fastback are indeed coming back en vogue nowadays, which I'm glad for because I've always preferred them to the traditional 3-box profile. But they do serve a useful function: they greatly improve aerodynamics, and that's always been one of the most important aspects to me in car design. With this car, the sedan and Kammback version of this have exactly the same profile, so headroom would be the same in both. The sedan is really more of a compromise, merely for those who prefer 3-box designs for some reason. The Kammback is more aerodynamic (though they should both be pretty close), has greater trunk space, and in my opinion is more stylish.

How long do you picture these being? From the proportions it looks like the same length as a 75 Olds 98

Not quite, right now they're about 202 inches long with a 132 inch wheelbase.

Interesting, you've basically added 10" each to the WB / OL of a Citroen DS (123"/193") :
DS23Prt.jpg

tho it looks like you still might have too much rear overhang.

To my American car sensibilities, these cars always looked 'broken' to my eye.

Citroen always looked like it was pinched off at the butt. Was never a fan of their style. I think SS has better proportions.

post-4034-0-92677700-1404257418_thumb.pn

post-4034-0-28029100-1404257435_thumb.pn

I'm not sure what to do with the front end. It can't have a large air-gulping grille, so my thought were either a very narrow and tall one or a thin bottom breather intake.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0