Time for a change

The way I'm looking at it is this: I've been fighting a war of attrition for years now with a steady stream of sacrifices ruining my outlook along the way. At this point, it just makes more sense to me to clean house and start over than to fight the losing battle.

I just want to get on with it.

That might be the best choice to do in your situation. I talked with a co-worker about different things today and one thing I did remind her. We all make choices in life good or bad. Whatever they are we have to live with the consequences of those choices.

Camino, I understand your emotions and you have right to be feeling that way. As a company GM has failed you and has failed many an enthusiast over these 4 years.

GM has great plans, but it is implementation which is going haywire. I think it is time not only for enthusiasts like you to show GM that you are serious when it comes to not having cars you have desired but also you can very well snub them for what you have not got. Somehow people in Renaissance center keep constantly forgetting that it is not about them it is about customers. The key to success is to feed the customers while creating your own identity. GM is not only creating its own identity by following imports in their game, but also loosing their own valuable customers.

Like Warren Buffet says cater your main customers first, the rest will come. GM seems to forget that strategy. By disowning their loyal customers they are shooting a goose which lays golden eggs. I have always mentioned that it pains me that GM does not offer manual transmissions in mid-sizers, or high output V8 in their single cab 1500 trucks, or navigation in their vehicles. These numbers may be small, but if you start counting them they add up big time. I think by looking too optimistically to the bigger picture, GM is forgetting the smaller components of the bigger picture which greatly help to make that picture a reality.

I have doubts about GM more than ever. They need some renaissance in the Renaissance center. Freedom from bean counters, pencil pushers, negative nannies, seat huggers and boot lickers is essential in that building.

SC ... I ditto the comments about this being one of your best posts here. Awesome.

However ... I would argue the "failed many enthusiast ... over 4 years". Heck no. It's more like 20 years, imho, anyway, and it all started with that Ch#$r%*et Nova / Toyota Corolla of the mid-1980s and it seemed to steamroll from there :(.

And, Camino, your situation sounds a bit like mine ... kinda why I've been scarce lately. Lots of not so good things going on that need my attention ... and not sure when I'll get to the "light at the end of the tunnel"...but, I'm working on it.

Believe you still have my ph#, if you need anything. And, heck, if that road trip possibility becomes a reality, you could always swing by here!!!

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 drive = Sept '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Why'd you do it?" ... Reba McEntire ... 'The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia'

I have doubts about GM more than ever. They need some renaissance in the Renaissance center. Freedom from bean counters, pencil pushers, negative nannies, seat huggers and boot lickers is essential in that building.

Smallchevy, I'm only quoting a part of what you say since, through your education and worldly experience, you seem to have a good handle on the business world. Add to what you say that, whenever you get a large, pyramid shaped organization, you also get (1) inefficiency, (2) bureaucracy, (3) slow information flow, (4) turf protection, and (5) slow reaction time.

Again, I say that what they did in the 80s (quality control issues) is what really hurt them today. That's coming from the viewpoint of American buyer who has watched other American buyers defect. Also, the changing demographics of America make those who recently came here from another place, and most of our inmigration is from Asia and Latin America, more likely to buy a foreign car.

Camino, I've been at forks in the road before and can't always say I made the right decision. The worst decision I ever made, in hindsight, was to leave Atlanta to return to the West. I mean, things worked out, but things were better for me in the greater Atlanta area all the way around. I really empathize, but don't do anything rash without laying out your strategy. I'm holding good thoughts for you.