GM @ NAIAS '09: 2010 Buick Lacrosse

When I immediately saw it, I hated it. Way too fat looking...but now the design is starting to sink in a bit, and some better pictures definitely helped. It still looks bloated, but some other colors may help it's case. Interior is nice. I'd love to see both the interior and exterior in black.

Best Buick ever, but they'll never hit 70,000 units a year.

Headlights from the Accord, 5-series tail lights, Lexus LS exhaust pipes, and a Malibu-like side profile is just taking what others already did and merging it, that is out of the Hyundai playbook. Wood trim looks really fake, although the dash materials and leatherette with the stitching look nice.

I like the contour line along the side of the car, that is unique and looks good, but I hate the venti-ports on top of the hood and don't like that it is over 4,000 pounds. Can GM make anything that isn't obese?

A question I have about the 3.0 V6, is why peak torque is hit at 5900 rpm, when BMW's 3 liter hits it around 2800 rpm.

I'm trying to put this car in the context of Buick and get my feelings on the design from there. It's beefy, brawny unlike Buicks of recent past, which is a good thing. It's imposing and menacing, the trend of late for facial expressions, another good thing. the attention to detail is there, obviously in that department we're talking a whole other Buick. still i get the feeling that this is unfinished, like there was more work that could have been done to smooth out the paneling, and of course give the rear end a less copycat feel.

the interior is also a dramatic leap forward, and still I feel like a little more work could have been done refining the details of the design. it's a little funky and just some of the detailing is slightly on the garish side [even though I'm very much in favor of the materials mix they've used, alluminum wood leather]. the design could stand to be less, weird, and more conventional. but major kudos for trying to make something different, it just needed a little more time in the oven. the materials look like a miraculous leap forward and enough to convince buyers that GM and Buick are a changed entity. Does this have the power to change minds like a Jaguar XF, that is a resounding no. but it's certainly along the level of the MKS, with a greatly refined and classically elegant feel. more work could have been done to make this an appealing design, instead they left it at universally generica. that's okay, obviously a very good effort from a company known for poor work. this will change minds and attract Lexus buyers, the problem I see is aside from stellar powertrain options and perhaps good tech and maybe a solid driving feel, it looks too much like a Lexus to change hardcore buyers' minds.

Edited by turbo200

I'm trying to put this car in the context of Buick and get my feelings on the design from there. It's beefy, brawny unlike Buicks of recent past, which is a good thing. It's imposing and menacing, the trend of late for facial expressions, another good thing. the attention to detail is there, obviously in that department we're talking a whole other Buick. still i get the feeling that this is unfinished, like there was more work that could have been done to smooth out the paneling, and of course give the rear end a less copycat feel.

the interior is also a dramatic leap forward, and still I feel like a little more work could have been done refining the details of the design. the materials look like a miraculous leap forward and enough to convince buyers that GM and Buick are a changed entity. Does this have the power to change minds like a Jaguar XF, that is a resounding no. but it's certainly along the level of the MKS, with a greatly refined and classically elegant feel. more work could have been done to make this an appealing design, instead they left it at universally generica. that's okay, obviously a very good effort from a company known for poor work. this will change minds and attract Lexus buyers, the problem I see is aside from stellar powertrain options and perhaps good tech and maybe a solid driving feel, it looks too much like a Lexus to change hardcore buyers' minds.

You're being overly negative. The exterior is great and very refined, and nothing about the interior looks of feels unfinished. And if it does, I wonder how "unfinished" the competitor's interiors are in your view.

Oooh! I really like it!

Now, they only need to change the name to something more appealing. Oh, say, INVICTA?

I'll have to see how the Regal is going to be. If I can get THAT with a manual, I will have a new Buick!

hey, if you like the interior then you like it. there's pictures on autoblog that show the surfacing a little better than some other shots, I don't like the surfacing, that's all. then the rear could stand to be more cohesive with Buick and original is all. the interior still looks a little unfinsihed, a big stick protruding from a flat pillow, but everything else about the interior screams luxury. it comes down to a design preference, and most people won't care to notice. it'll look shiny and high quality.

Perhaps if the general dash curvature in the midsection seemed a bit more convex?

That's the only area I could think of, but I still do love it. Mmm- in black!

one thing I didn't highlight was te impressive presentation of this new Buick [whether or not I like the design choices]. I do think this will be a redefinition of Buick, and along with the new REgal, buyers will see that. I do hope the Delta Buick builds on the design themes started here....but that one is a big quesiton mark right now. back to this car, it is seriously a better presentation than the ES and equal to the TL. this is a solid homerun and will be a hit. i'm glad they did AWD, glad for the engine choices, impressed by the feeature content and the attention to detail within the interior, quality could suprass the CTS, with ideas and creativity this defintely went one step above CTS.

Headlights from the Accord, 5-series tail lights, Lexus LS exhaust pipes, and a Malibu-like side profile is just taking what others already did and merging it, that is out of the Hyundai playbook. Wood trim looks really fake, although the dash materials and leatherette with the stitching look nice.

I like the contour line along the side of the car, that is unique and looks good, but I hate the venti-ports on top of the hood and don't like that it is over 4,000 pounds. Can GM make anything that isn't obese?

A question I have about the 3.0 V6, is why peak torque is hit at 5900 rpm, when BMW's 3 liter hits it around 2800 rpm.

who let you out of your cage?

You know why the contour on the side of the car is unique? BECAUSE IT'S A FREAKING BUICK TRADEMARK!

Will it compete favorably with the ES?

I think that is a resounding yes.

Me too, I like this thing! Makes me wonder what they have in store for the 9-5...

EDIT - this car must be a stunner IRL as even the traditionally poor GM photography could not eff up how good it looks.

Edited by ZL-1

I absolutely love it.

That low, sensual profile, curvaceous character line running down the body; Goodness! I do believe this to be one of the best looking Buicks of recent times!

I also loved the Lucerne when it came out and still like it!

-22 year old guy

My problem with the Lucerne has always been with everything forward of the A Pillar. It's only gotten worse with the Super. This includes that huge overhang. This is a far superior car.

Oh, I know the LaCrosse *cough, Invicta, cough* is far better, but I feel with updated powertrains, features, and a rehauled interior, the Lucerne would be a much better top size car but hey, let's move on into the glorious future of Buick!

Ven,

How many underwears have you changed so far after looking at this thing? :P

I have to ask the same question to Pauli too.

Haha! I'm very pleased with the 2010 LaCrosse. It has pretty much everything I've been asking for.

So many people keep trying to pinpoint which vehicles individual characteristics were stolen from. If you have to list a half dozen vehicles (or more) to complete the LaCrosse picture then clearly there isn't an actual vehicle on the market that's similar.

So many people keep trying to pinpoint which vehicles individual characteristics were stolen from. If you have to list a half dozen vehicles (or more) to complete the LaCrosse picture then clearly there isn't an actual vehicle on the market that's similar.

:pokeowned:

Thank You!

• 2 years later...

Looks like they'll be within striking distance of 70k this year.