Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2010 Buick LaCrosse

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's beautiful! I can't wait to own a stylish Buick. Or a Buick again for that matter. I may have only had a Skyhawk, but it was my favourite J-body car and mine had a four on the floor, manual steering and everything else, no clock in the radio, but it had kick ass cool headlamp covers and it was fun to drive. Very real and connected. Especially that unassited steering. Fabulous.

One of the few sets of GM photographs which looks good. The front looks good, and so does the interior. The rear gives a vibe of a Lexus, cannot pin point which one - but just as Balthy says, rear ends are getting anonymous anyways. I will say it is a very decent effort. The subtle blue light in the door handles and center console looks good.

One of the few sets of GM photographs which looks good. The front looks good, and so does the interior. The rear gives a vibe of a Lexus, cannot pin point which one - but just as Balthy says, rear ends are getting anonymous anyways. I will say it is a very decent effort. The subtle blue light in the door handles and center console looks good.

Rear looks like original GS---the best looking one by far.

Car looks great---it'll be interesting to see if Buick fans ignore the other crap going on at GM and buy it. Excellent job by the design (and finally) the photography teams.

Uh-oh...to me, it looks like a Chrysler Sebring from the rear...BUT, the LaCrosse proportions are much better than the Sebring's. In other words, it looks REALLY nice.

Love the interior.

Hope it isn't too heavy.

AWD! 6 Speed! Direct Injection! BUICK???

THAT is a beautiful automobile. Love that it is AWD! The package they gave us looks to be light years ahead of the car it replaces. Hate LaCrosse name though, sorry - no heritage. Invicta would have been better, or Regal.

Edited by toesuf94

I like the exterior, it's quite nice. But it's the interior I love. Just beautiful. The sculpting of the doors is wonderful. I hope the ambient lighting stays, quite nice.

Agreed on the name though. GM changes model names too often, so why stick with this one?

Edited by DBeaSSt

Uh-oh...to me, it looks like a Chrysler Sebring from the rear...BUT, the LaCrosse proportions are much better than the Sebring's. In other words, it looks REALLY nice.

Love the interior.

Hope it isn't too heavy.

Why yes it is heavy. Weighing more than the new Equinox to a mind blowing 4000 lbs.

is there even the slightest chance this beauty would be available in AWD?

THAT is a beautiful automobile. Love to see it RWD or AWD, but the package they gave us looks to be light years ahead of the car it replaces. Hate LaCrosse name though, sorry - no heritage. Invicta would have been better, or Regal.

Yes it is available with the AWD.

Well, as a 2008 buyer and one who likes more conservative styling, I give it an "eh."

The two things I like are the front grille (nicer than mine) and the dash is kind of interesting, though I don't like the "strapped in" astronaut feeling.

The things I don't like are the flattened roofline, and resultant shrinking of the greenhouse, and a rear end that looks like a combo of a Lexus and a Yaris.

I like mine way better.

The interior manages to look distinctly American/Buick... I think because of the way the door panels meet with the dash. Wasn't the Riviera like that? The Park Avenue? I'm not a fan of that particular detail, but overall, the interior looks excellent.

At 4,000 lbs, I know it's insanely heavy... but how about the Equinox's DI 2.4? Both weigh about the same, and the availability of a four-cylinder will improve fuel economy for those consumers who want it.

I am not easily impressed and this car re-affirms that. The exterior looks dumpy, plain and ill-proportioned, the back end looks like a Lexus and the front is ok save for the weird location of the portholes where you can't see them from the side. But that is the current fad, removing every conceivable piece of trim, cladding, molding etc from the sides of the vehicle for that oh so plain boring look. If it wasn't for the exaggerated character line, I really would not know what I was looking at if the badge and grille was covered up. Exterior aside, the interior looks promising if you spring for the most expensive model. The base CX gray interior is very uninspired. Kudos for offering AWD finally but it is restricted to the mid level and base 3.0 liter V6 only. Speaking of V6's the new Di engines have decent HP figures but the torque on the 3.0 liter is only 211 which is 19 short of the old 3800 V6 and gas mileage seems to have suffered yet again. The 3.0 is rated for 18/27 and the 3.6 is good for only 17/26 according to press coverage. You would think that with such a big displacement difference, DI, 6 speed automatic and a newer more aerodynamic design that Buick could have at least matched last years 3800 mileage of 18/28. Press coverage pegged the FWD CXS at 4016 lbs or in reality a 500 lb increase over a 2008 LaCrosse CXS. Now I haven't seen all the specs for interior measurements or trunk space but this car is not much bigger in overall length than the current car. On the positive side, GM is finally getting serious about keeping competitive with other automakers with bluetooth, NAV screen option, USB ports, rear camaras and the like and i'm sure this thing rides with the typical Buick tomb like quietness. If only they could think outside the Lexus/BMW box and give us something modern but Buick looking at the same time.

I'm going to deduce from what we have heard of how these upcoming cars portend to be on the road in driveability, that one main reason for the weight increases is structural improvements/stiffness. While I am disappointed with how heavy these vehicles are, I am going to take the good with the bad, so long as the suspension and road handling are vast improvements then the heavy weight isn't so big an issue. GM seems to be doing really well as of late with this issue. I'm more disappointed in the estimated fuel economy someone above is quoting than the weight issues, though obviously these are interrelated. heavy weight plus structural improvements plus low cash funds for plus outstanding improvements = GM made all the right compromises in designing these vehicles. yeah they're obese, but average joe luxury sixpack won't know that.

Now on to the rest.

Well it competes with the ES, TL, and MKS. So ask yourself it it stands out among them. :wink:

More of the same?

I won't go as far as saying it's dumpy, ill-proportioned, or plain though.....not that I'm criticizing anyone for doing that.... :unsure:

Edited by turbo200

it isn't so much that Buick didn't design a good looking, refined, classical looking beast. it's all of these. it is that Buick is redefining itself and in need of a star to rebuild the brand and differentiate themselves with a cause from other good looking luxury cars. it is that Buick is looking at a segment now, that it previously had no chance of competing with, the same entry level luxury category the CTS competes and dominates in. This truly is the Lexus ES counterpart to the CTS' more sport focused theme all from GM. I love that they went this far, and I do think they'll be able to easily command the $35k+ bracket. this really is all that much car. [now i haven't seen the base interior yet to be disappointed with it so....]. so my point is, they have succeeded in making a compelling luxury vehicle, and there is no disappointment in that, but the exterior could stand to be a bit less generic.

Edited by turbo200

I have just six simple words... "Holy $h!, now thats a Buick!"

This thing looks great, actually excellent, hell I might own a Buick one day after all. They now along with the Enclave and Lucerne have just justified to me there existance. Now give a car like this to Pontiac.

I'd prolly love to have this car, hopefully the sell really well.

hopefully when i want a new car i can have this the camaro ..maybe something else...?

I do think it looks good, by far the best buick car in a long time.

I am not easily impressed and this car re-affirms that. The exterior looks dumpy, plain and ill-proportioned, the back end looks like a Lexus and the front is ok save for the weird location of the portholes where you can't see them from the side.

Exactly what I think.

It's such an also-ran.

I am not easily impressed and this car re-affirms that. The exterior looks dumpy, plain and ill-proportioned, the back end looks like a Lexus and the front is ok save for the weird location of the portholes where you can't see them from the side.

X3

I give it an "eh". Like others have said it just looks like a bunch of cars meshed together. The rear end is pretty generic and could pass for an RL at quick glance or Lexus. The front headlights remind of the 5 Series, the grille is enormous looking. I am impressed with the interior though, a nice variety of colors and textures as well as neat lighting. I still could never see myself owning a Buick.

Exactly what I think.

It's such an also-ran.

And what would you call the car it replaces? A decade behind also-ran?

The only element that I would think is a bit generic would be the back, as others have said. However even that it is far better executed than most cars, with lines the flow into each other and meet up, as opposed to say, BMWs where the lines are all over the place. You want to talk generic? The 7 Series has tail lights look Korean (and like the Cruze) the new E-Class's butt looks sort like the last gen Accord. And neither of them are done very well.

Edited by Dodgefan

Those images are smokin', way to go Buick! They must have hired a new agency for this or they hired a new photographer. My only complaint is the name. Why on Earth did they let it be Invicta in Canada and not here?

Oops! One more, they put the gas tank refill door on the wrong side!

Edited by InvictaMan

And what would you call the car it replaces? A decade behind also-ran?

Well, I would agree that the 2005-2008 LaCrosse is not particulary innovative, but the proportions are to my liking. It's well-balanced. I know people mention the overhang and I now see what people are talking about, but viewed in profile, the hood's relationship to the trunk lid seems better proportioned. I also like the rear view with the crease between the lamps and the C-pillar with the roof rails as well as some sense of verticality.

Look at how the timeless proportions have sold cars. The 76-77 Cutlasses, the 81-87 Cutlasses, the 88-96 Grand Prix in coupe form, the 98-02 Intrigues, and others. Even the DTS which harkens back to a more notchback type of sedan picked up in sales over its predecessors...I would have never looked at a Cadillac and then, seeing them around, took note...that's a beautifully proportioned large car. I think the LaCrosse hasn't sold as well because of our crappy economy, the fact the more and more people think American cars are not cool, and, to a point, because the W-platform has been around for a long time.

I think the vernacular of the new LaCrosse is trendy and won't be timeless. The roof that's gone through the flattener, the scrunchy greenhouse and the overly angled rear backlite that flows into nothing of a trunk lid will be a passing phase.

That is a fabulous looking car.... and the interior is even better! I just showed my wife and said "here's your next car" Can't wait to see it shortly at NAIAS!

Now, what platform is this based from and where will it be made?

EDIT: Never mind... Epsilon II and built at Fairfax

Edited by BuddyP

It looks modern... a modern Buick.

Agreed. There really isn't much I'd change on this car. I'd take off that lame "GM" badging that's found it's way on every car GM makes... it's pointless. Also, I'd give it 20" wheels, not 19"s for the top of the line, lol (but now I'm just picking). I wish they'd loose the gray interior, base CX... and it's to drab and decontented for what Buick aims to be, but I guess we're progressing with baby steps, here.